Doom 3 requirements

jalu6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Did anybody else see this guide posted on Hardocp? This is really pretty helpful and should get rid of lots of the "Will my computer run this?" posts. They actually tested on a system that its very close to mine (although I have double the RAM) so i should be able to run it on medium quality at 800 x 600 at least.

Still, I'm super tempted just to run out and buy one of those $400 Nvidia 6800 GT OC cards but I'd probably have to rob a liquer store on the way to afford one.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

[quote name='Scrubking']http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23826[/quote]

yeah, this is a different guide they just posted yesterday. not just benchmarks, but actual real life tests that they tried with a variety fo different systems, cards and settings.

the most interesting i think is the way it can run on a 1.5 Ghz machine with a geforce 4 MMX.

also, people are practically having fistfights over at gamfaqs.com about a rumor that gamestop will have Doom 3 in-store as early as tomorrow. no one knows for sure though, so its all speculation still.

It's not looking good at all. Even with a great pc the best resolution is 800 X 600 :puke:

You need at least 3ghz machine to run at 1024x768

I don't see how this game is gonna sell so well when most people will be playing it on crap settings.

The best part is that they want $54 for this :roll:

What the hell is up with that resolution? 800x600 is craptastic as hell. There's no way I'm buying this game, and I really doubt I can afford the $250 in upgrades I'm gonna have to do to get my machine to play HL2 decently.
And about that article....
Jeez, they really did make this game with nvidia in mind. This has got to be the first game in a long ass time where an Nvidia card outperforms an ATI card.

I'll get it :)

I heard a rumor that ATI is recoding their OpenGL support because of the low benches their new cards are getting in Doom 3. ATI's never been known for outstanding openGL performance.

Anybody unsure of their performance should wait for the demo. Devs said they'd make one, but it wouldn't be released until after the retail version hits the shelves. Though if I wasn't sure about my PC's ability, I don't know if I could wait.... have to 'aquire' a copy by other means...

I wish the site didn't use hugely compressed jpgs for screenshots, though :( At least provide a .zip or something to get full quality. It's hard to judge with all the compression artifacts.

It's a good thing though that they made the game with today's hardware in mind, and not basing HQ-High-Res modes on last year's technology.

Hell, if your PC can't handle it now, I'm sure Doom 3 will still be on sale next year :) Maybe even a little cheaper ;)

Anybody unsure of their performance should wait for the demo. Devs said they'd make one, but it wouldn't be released until after the retail version hits the shelves.

I'm sick of devs releasing the demo AFTER the fact. They are counting on the "I'm too impatient to wait for the demo" sales, and It makes me sick. :puke:

this sadly reminds me that my home computer needs massive upgrading. i recently bought farcry, but it runs like sh*t on my comp. i have no chance of it running decently for hl2 or doom 3 :(

I'm so happy I waited 3 years to upgrade, sacrificing many games, so now i have a computer that can run Far Cry on max, and will easily run Doom 3, and HL 2 when it comes out.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I'm so happy I waited 3 years to upgrade, sacrificing many games, so now i have a computer that can run Far Cry on max, and will easily run Doom 3, and HL 2 when it comes out.[/quote]

You should have put your money into stocks ;)

Also, people keep talking about HL2, but I don't think HL2 will be as requirement ridiculous as D3.

ID has always said that D3 required the elite of the elite hardware, while Valve has said no such thing.

when news of Half-Life 2 first broke, PC gamer said that the game would play on a TNT-2.

While they may have updated requirements, I doubt they reved em up that much

I'm running Doom 3 on a Geforce FX 5200 It's very playable at 800x600 avg. Frame rates around 20-40 it dips into the low numbers (1-20) if theres tons of action going on, or if theres smoke ect. But for the most part it runs fairly well. I have bump maping on, special effects on, and shadows on, it runs even better with out those things on (around 30-50FPS), I tweaked the game cfg file so it runs much better. I wasn't expecting blazzing Frame Rates with my budget FX 5200 card but to my surprise runs fairly decent.

bread's done
Back