Will some PS1 controllers not work with certain PS2s?

controlcommerce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Hello, I bought a custom acrade stick from a guy who used a H-serise dualshock PS1 controller for it's guts. Now it will not work on my PS2 but he swears it works on his. I know their are 8 different PS2 versions out there. Mine is 3 years old so it's a version 3 or 4. My question is will PS1 dualshocks work on certain PS2s and not others? If so, will they work only on the older or newer ones? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks,
-Control

Some games require DS2 and thus do not accept DS1's. It's a software thing, not a hardware thing.

Yup, it depends on the game. The first DualShock controllers just had the analog sticks. The DualShock2 controllers have analog buttons as well. PS2 games that require the analog buttons won't work with a DS1 controller plugged in.

The controller will not work in any game. Not even in the main menu where you can look at your memory cards. The guy who I bought from as a great reputation for being a great builder and seller, so I don't think he's ripping me off. He swears it works on his PS2, I already send back the stick for him to look at it. He sent it back to me and it still will not work.

Test out a non-modified DS1. If that works, then you know the modded one does not work and should be returned.

It always done fine since I bought it. I take very good care of all my game and systems. I even used regular PS1 controllers for it but never tried PS1 dualshocks. I need to test the stick on a friends PS2 to see if it is my system. Even if it is my system, I don't think it's broke. I think maybe certain PS2s work dualshocks and some don't. I can't be for sure until someone tells me for a fact or I do some testing.

this should keep it from working a basic menu, but i believe ps1 controller's buttons werent pressure sensitive.

[quote name='Cracka']i believe ps1 controller's buttons werent pressure sensitive.[/quote]

I said that already.

I have an early model PS2 and have used DS1 controllers on it just fine. In fact, I only bought a second DS2 controller when I ran into my first game which wouldn't recognize the DS1.

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='Cracka']i believe ps1 controller's buttons werent pressure sensitive.[/quote]

I said that already.

I have an early model PS2 and have used DS1 controllers on it just fine. In fact, I only bought a second DS2 controller when I ran into my first game which wouldn't recognize the DS1.[/quote]

Same here. The first one I owned that required DS2 was Shinobi.

OP: If a normal DS1 with the analog sticks works on your PS2, send the stick back to the guy that made it. If you simply MUST have that DS1-based stick, send him a DS1 that works with your system and have him mod THAT into an arcade stick.

I already spent $30 shipping sending this stick back and forth to him. If I can't figure out whats wrong, I'm getting a refund. He pretty pissed about it because I'm his first complaint but fuck it.

I'm pretty sure the DS1 controller has the analog buttons also...
I cant prove it cause I lent it to my friend. but maybe I remmeber wrong...

I use to use the non DS controllers on my PS2 until I played Onimusha 2... the buttons were all messed up when I used the non DS controller for that game...

[quote name='controlcommerce']I already spent $30 shipping sending this stick back and forth to him. If I can't figure out whats wrong, I'm getting a refund. He pretty pissed about it because I'm his first complaint but shaq-fu it.[/quote]

Why didn't you just get a retail arcade stick?

[quote name='MeGaWC27']I'm pretty sure the DS1 controller has the analog buttons also...
I cant prove it cause I lent it to my friend. but maybe I remmeber wrong...[/quote]

You remember wrong. The DS1's main innovation was the dual analog sticks and the rumble feature. The DS2's innovation was the analog (or pressure sensitive) face and shoulder buttons.

A game that requires the pressure sensitive buttons, like Mad Maestro, will not work with a DS1.

[quote name='WildWop']
Why didn't you just get a retail arcade stick?[/quote]

I do have retail arcade sticks. I have a Mas and two redoctane sticks I'm going to mod once I get my happ order comes in the mail. I don't know why, but I have a think for buying them. Hell. I'm considering buying the new Hori stick that just came out 2 days ago even though I hate Sawna joysticks (can't do a shoryuken with them for the lifeof me, lol). Anyway, here is a pic of the stick I bought from him:

http://www.geocities.com/customjoystick/controlcommerce.jpg
Man this stick would be the shit if it worked.

Edit: I'll fix the pic when I get home, gota go to work.

bread's done
Back