Why don't PC games come in cases?

moe11888

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
When I buy some PC games, they dont come in cases. They just come in cheap little paper cd holders. Is there any reason for the games not to come in cases?

Just like Gameboy games stopped to come with plastic cases, less production cost means more profit to the companies. They want you to BUY those cases... cursed Nintendo, you cursed!

PC games should start marketing themselves more effectively. By effectively, I mean USING DVD CASES like console games. And using DVDs as their media of choice, so you don't have 5 discs just to install one game.

My Postal 2 copy came in a PS2 type fashion. Same with Deus Ex IW. It all depends on what the publisher is willing to shell out for something most people won't even care to notice.

European PC games do come in DVD cases. I bought Fifa Premiere League Manager 2002 direct from UK supplier 2-3 years, it comes with a sweet DVD case :)

Small boxes/DVD cases suck ass.

When companies did produce games in the large boxes they provided additional content in the boxes- Maps, manuals (do any of you remember non PDF 200+ page manuals out there? anyone?), and additional content.

The industry went to paper jackets and DVD cases because they want to save money. But remember, games will eventually hit the $10 mark in any case, so more content vs less- I'd go for more.

Yeah, I remember big manuals.. as far back as Warcraft III... [/sarcasm]

I pretty much only buy Blizzard games anyway, and they generally go all out for their releases. I'll get the occasional Valve or Monolith release as well, both of which tend towards the large boxes at time of release.

CD gem cases are largely going out of fashion. For most products a DVD case allows for sufficient printed material and since most people have become accustomed to buy CD-Rs in bulk they also become accustomed to providing their own storage like big CD wallets. Especially when the sheer amount of space consumed is so much more for gem cases. My music library in big wallets consumes several cubic feet less than the displayed cases in racks.

[quote name='Scrubking']Try stuffing the NWN manual in a dvd case.[/quote]
That would be bad. I expect my D&D games to come with huge manuals.
Also, when I first saw the Baldur's Gate 2 collection with Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhall in a small box I could not believe it, seeing as how the BG2 manual is nearly as large as the small boxes used for most PC games now.

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Scrubking']Try stuffing the NWN manual in a dvd case.[/quote]
That would be bad. I expect my D&D games to come with huge manuals.
Also, when I first saw the Baldur's Gate 2 collection with Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhall in a small box I could not believe it, seeing as how the BG2 manual is nearly as large as the small boxes used for most PC games now.[/quote]

I never said it was good. I was pointing out how some pc games can't come in dvd cases.

[quote name='drunken_master'][quote name='BLarR']My Postal 2 copy came in a PS2 type fashion. Same with Deus Ex IW. It all depends on what the publisher is willing to shell out for something most people won't even care to notice.[/quote]

shakes head in utter disbeleif.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3103345&did=6[/quote]

You know, you should actually play a game and form your own opinion instead of being a weak minded person and judging game purchases based off of reviews. Postal 2 is a blast to play.

I personaly love big manuals. It makes me feel as if the developer went that extra difference. The game from Blizzard have some of the best manuals ever, with tons of backstory and art to draw you into the mythos. I also love the Icewind Dale and Baldur's gate manuals. You just can't get that in small boxes. Unfortunately, companies are even more cheapasses than us. Instead of big boxes, big manuals, and jewel cases, we get small boxes, small or even PDF manuals, and paper sleeves. argh

Anyone know why Sam's Club has big boxes for their PC games? Everyone else seems to have small boxes or DVD cases, but Sams still has the big boxes.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Anyone know why Sam's Club has big boxes for their PC games? Everyone else seems to have small boxes or DVD cases, but Sams still has the big boxes.[/quote]

I've wondered this as well. I know the industry went to small boxes to help reduce production costs/help the environment, but why does Sam's still get to have big, cool boxes? I thought it was made into a law of some sort. Go figure.

[quote name='WildWop']PC games should start marketing themselves more effectively. By effectively, I mean USING DVD CASES like console games. And using DVDs as their media of choice, so you don't have 5 discs just to install one game.[/quote]

dvd cases suck, they are way too talll for no reason at all. cd cases are where its at

[quote name='WildWop']PC games should start marketing themselves more effectively. By effectively, I mean USING DVD CASES like console games. And using DVDs as their media of choice, so you don't have 5 discs just to install one game.[/quote]

I still dont get why everything with more than 2 discs, hasnt been put on dvd's. They could be worried that people dont own dvd drives, but if their computers can handle these new pc games, they most likely own a dvd drive.

Thinking of which, I got my copy in a "Big Box" format, and for some reason I can't see how it would all fit in a "standard" box, can anyone fill me in on if the map, manual, or box (width) was resized for that issue?

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='Scrubking']Try stuffing the NWN manual in a dvd case.[/quote]

Thinking of which, I got my copy in a "Big Box" format, and for some reason I can't see how it would all fit in a "standard" box, can anyone fill me in on if the map, manual, or box (width) was resized for that issue?[/quote]

Cloth map, folded quick guide, and a manual that is about the size of the inner box but about an inch thick. I don't remember NWN coming in a big box.

[quote name='BigDirty']
Thinking of which, I got my copy in a "Big Box" format, and for some reason I can't see how it would all fit in a "standard" box, can anyone fill me in on if the map, manual, or box (width) was resized for that issue?[/quote]
[quote name='Scrubking']
Cloth map, folded quick guide, and a manual that is about the size of the inner box but about an inch thick. I don't remember NWN coming in a big box.[/quote]

The big box was the one that went on clearance at target for incredibly cheap ($3.48/6.58/7.48 depending on region), and it was the first game I remember getting that was extremely "stuffed", and from how you make the "standard" seem, it seems like there was no room in there for anything else. I'll have to check the manual size compared to one of the smaller boxes when I get home, but that thing should have been able to be used as a weapon in-game ;)

I like when long awaited games do a little something special in terms of packaging, it’s just a nice little gesture for those that care. That being said, Half Life 2 had better come in a glowing ball that greets you, by name, before you even purchase it.

I don't have a DVD-rom so if PC games start going to all DVD I'll just stop buying them, I have 3 DVD players and i don't need one for my computer thank you.

[quote name='xzafixz']I don't have a DVD-rom so if PC games start going to all DVD I'll just stop buying them, I have 3 DVD players and i don't need one for my computer thank you.[/quote]
You should get one. You can get a DVD Rom Drive for about $30 on newegg, and only needing one disk to install a game and keep track of is great.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='WildWop']PC games should start marketing themselves more effectively. By effectively, I mean USING DVD CASES like console games. And using DVDs as their media of choice, so you don't have 5 discs just to install one game.[/quote]

dvd cases suck, they are way too talll for no reason at all. cd cases are where its at[/quote]

Seconded!

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='WildWop']PC games should start marketing themselves more effectively. By effectively, I mean USING DVD CASES like console games. And using DVDs as their media of choice, so you don't have 5 discs just to install one game.[/quote]

dvd cases suck, they are way too talll for no reason at all. cd cases are where its at[/quote]

Seconded![/quote]

Yes, but since they are larger people fell more happy spending more money on them. Its why computer games came in big boxes even though after the early 90's they didnt' need all the room for manuals, maps and other goodies.

[quote name='xzafixz']I don't have a DVD-rom so if PC games start going to all DVD I'll just stop buying them, I have 3 DVD players and i don't need one for my computer thank you.[/quote]

start living in the future, cds are pretty useless now and dvds are where it's at. just like when people stopped using floppy discs

[quote name='adezero'][quote name='xzafixz']I don't have a DVD-rom so if PC games start going to all DVD I'll just stop buying them, I have 3 DVD players and i don't need one for my computer thank you.[/quote]

start living in the future, cds are pretty useless now and dvds are where it's at. just like when people stopped using floppy discs[/quote]

:rofl:

What silly world are you living in, just because you can hold more on a DVD doesn't mean you use them all the time. The wave of the future is thumb drives because you can store a gig on them, they are easy to carry and reusable.

I'm surprised that my topic just started getting more posts now since there was like 2 months of nobody posting on this topic.

Thumbdrives are undoubtably a great bit of technology, but unfortunately, as per this topic, they are highly impractical for mass distribution of software. As far as cheap, practical storage goes, the DVD is simply poised to completely replace the CD in the very near future. DVDRs and DVDRWs, of both the + and - variety, are dropping drastically in price (< 25 cents each is not unheard of on particularly good sales), and burners are at the sub $100 range; a very, very familiar situation to those of you who remember when CD burners became affordable.

In short, yes, barring some major and unlikely change, CDs will go the way of the floppy disc.

[quote name='moe11888'][quote name='WildWop']PC games should start marketing themselves more effectively. By effectively, I mean USING DVD CASES like console games. And using DVDs as their media of choice, so you don't have 5 discs just to install one game.[/quote]

I still dont get why everything with more than 2 discs, hasnt been put on dvd's. They could be worried that people dont own dvd drives, but if their computers can handle these new pc games, they most likely own a dvd drive.[/quote]

very true.. cuz if you have like a geforce fx500000 with 10000 megs of ram and blah blah blah... you surely have a dvd drive on your computer.

yea, i like the idea of dvd cases and especially a PC GAME ON A DVD!!! I hate putting in disc after disc to install one stinking game. Someone needs to tell someone this

[quote name='Flashmonkey']yea, i like the idea of dvd cases and especially a PC GAME ON A DVD!!! I hate putting in disc after disc to install one stinking game. Someone needs to tell someone this[/quote]

Yes but only 90% of people who play games have DVD players, but yes they really need to work on that.

bread's done
Back