Will the PS3 Really Be Region Free? Predict "Region Free" on the PS3

1st!! Hmm...I'll vote for the second option, though I really want the first option so I can play some import games I'll hold on to.

I asked my contact at a major online retailer:
Well, it certainly will not be region free, in a sense that all games will be region free.

I think it'll be the same as on the Xbox - games can be region free, but it's up to the publisher.

And for PS2 & PS1 games, I don't see any chance you can play them on an US PS3.

[quote name='CheapyD']I asked my contact at a major online retailer:[/QUOTE]
I hope Sony would require games to be fully region free with the big deal they are making out of it :whistle2:?

[quote name='CheapyD']I asked my contact at a major online retailer:[/QUOTE]

I hate to be a skeptic (okay, no I don't), but "major online retailer" is an ambiguous enough title that I can't see this being a person with any more working knowledge of the PS3, and, like any schmuck clerk at an EB/GS/whathaveyou, relying *solely* on speculation.

The 360 model is fine by me, even though *I'm* the one getting starved of 360 Wrestle Kingdom goodness. Must be like a Uwe Boll film or something.

"Hey, Taro?"

"Un?"

"Howzabout we region-lock our games so the stupid Americans can't play?"

"Eeehtooo.......wouldn't that limit our market to the seven Japanese that own a 360, and prohibit the *millions* of Americans who own the system from playing it?"

"Hmm."

"Indeed."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right."

"I thought so. Let's do it anyway!"

"Gambatte!"

Worse case scenario I see it like the 360 which, if it was EXACTLY the same, would almost compel me to only buy a Japanese or Asian version of the console.

I would say it's anywhere from partially region free (PS3 games only) to 'varries by publisher', probably the latter. There is a reason they've stuck with various regions so far and it's not because they make less money doing so.

This is something that I've been wondering as well, but I dont believe anyone actually knows that yet. I expect BR movies to have some sort of region protection. Along those lines, I would expect it would be quite easy for them to enforce that with the PS1/2.

I would think there is no longer much purpose to region locking older stuff though.

I also heard it was region free, and am definitely crossing my fingers. You can find uber cheap, used PS2 games all over Japan and there are more than a few titles I would love to try out.

Still - leave it to Sony to build up our hopes and them dash them in the end.

I recall hearing at some point that the PS3 would not play PS1/PS2 imports. I think the excuse had something to do with the region coding for DVDs.

Really hope it's not true though.

[quote name='Chacrana']I recall hearing at some point that the PS3 would not play PS1/PS2 imports. I think the excuse had something to do with the region coding for DVDs.

Really hope it's not true though.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, heard it in some podcast I "think" at 1up.

Of course it's going be Region blocked unless they use a type of media that is not really a source of media like good old fashion cartridges. The reason they do this is to portect sales in various areas.

[quote name='62t']but is it really that hard to get a flip top or slide card to play import games?[/QUOTE]

Not hard - just lazy. ;)

[quote name='62t']but is it really that hard to get a flip top or slide card to play import games?[/quote]

Not really, but its easier for me to stop buying games altogether and just start burning backups from there.

[quote name='Chacrana']I recall hearing at some point that the PS3 would not play PS1/PS2 imports. I think the excuse had something to do with the region coding for DVDs.

Really hope it's not true though.[/quote]
I am pretty sure game region coding and DVD region coding are completely different.

I voted for "Varies with Publisher - Like Xbox 360" with a high level of confidence. Sadly, I doubt import PS1/PS2 games will be playable on a PS3.
Of course I hope I am wrong.

[quote name='CheapyD']Sadly, I doubt import PS1/PS2 games will be playable on a PS3.
Of course I hope I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

Ever seen someone bludgeoned to death with a copy of Vib-Ribbon? Well, if you're right, you may just find out. ;)

My guess is it'll be region free with PS3 games, but on the other side I'd say most likely PS1/2 games and especially movies will have region coding though. I guess I envision it sort of like the PSP's region coding.

Looks like it's time for a PS3 FAQ sticky, people are starting to unknowingly repost stuff a lot.

It's unclear what "region-free" actually means for the system. Some are saying devs can put region protection on games, some say it's totally region free only for PS3 games...but nobody knows for sure.

PS3 Pre-orders

Good Morning I am opening up a Web-based company, Bargains2buy4.com, and we are taking Preorders for the new PS3. I only have a limited supply if you are interested please feel free to call or email me at [email protected] or call our 1-866-615-3876. We are selling these units for our Grand opening next week. Only serious people need to email or call we are starting to feel several orders thanks for your time!

Someone ban this douchetits already.

EDIT: Well, now that that's taken care of, I s'pose I need to make this a relevant post. What's important to me is the ability to play PS1 and 2 imports. C'mon...daddy needs some Vib Ribbon, and King of Colosseum. Ever since I sold my JPN PS2 (my wife succeeded in consistently asking me "do you NEED two of those motherfuckers!?!?!"), I've been without.

I'll take this a step further: how will online games fare? I'm not positive, but wasn't the online mode of Dirge of Cerberus taken out of the North American release? If so, I can always use the JPN version to play online (though I've heard I wouldn't want to - that's beside the point).

douchetits out!
I would like take this opportunity to emphasize my vote for "Varies with Publisher - Like Xbox 360"

I'd love it to play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games of any region, but I'm just going with region-free for all PS3 games. Insomniac seems to have the right idea to take advantage of this feature.

Although it would be easier for them to put in region protection for PS1 and PS2 games by using the same old chipset, it would be better to not put region protection for the older games. What is the point for putting region protection for the older games? Let gamers import old PS1 and PS2 titles that never came out in the USA.

Quite honestly, I can see the entire console being region free.

In fact, I can quite posisbly see the only copyright control being the HDCP plus the actual media itself.

I'm not saying you'll be able to play bootleg PSOne games, but I can see this console being very versatile in its applications.

BRING ON DDR MAX2 JPN!

I'd be very surprised if PS1/2 games are region-free on the PS3. It would be great, but I'm just hoping for option 2.

[quote name='Magicbox.com']

- Sony's Phil Harrison revealed some future plans for PS3 and PSP:
  • Sony will begin to sell games, videos and music on the PlayStation Network, which can be downloaded and played on PS3.
  • In the next PSP firmware upgrade, you will be able to transfer PSone games from PS3 to PSP and play.
  • In future games offered online can be played on both PS3 and PSP.
  • PS3 is region-free, but PS2 is not, therefore Japanese PS2 games still won't run on American PS3
  • The next-gen EyeToy peripheral will appear early next year
  • The target age group for PS3 is between 20s and 30s.
[/quote]

Damn, and I was looking forward to playing Narultimate Hero via the PS3.

Originally Posted by Magicbox.com

- Sony's Phil Harrison revealed some future plans for PS3 and PSP:
  • Sony will begin to sell games, videos and music on the PlayStation Network, which can be downloaded and played on PS3.
  • In the next PSP firmware upgrade, you will be able to transfer PSone games from PS3 to PSP and play.
  • In future games offered online can be played on both PS3 and PSP.
  • PS3 is region-free, but PS2 is not, therefore Japanese PS2 games still won't run on American PS3
  • The next-gen EyeToy peripheral will appear early next year
  • The target age group for PS3 is between 20s and 30
Whew, I KNEW pre-ordering one of these was a good idea!

I think it might depend on the PS2/PS1 game. Some of the UMD movies which are region locked actually worked fine when mixing and matching them with PSP systems from other regions. So it might just work for some regardless.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think it might depend on the PS2/PS1 game. Some of the UMD movies which are region locked actually worked fine when mixing and matching them with PSP systems from other regions. So it might just work for some regardless.[/quote]

Just watched the On The Spot video (10/26 episode) and they stated that PS1 and PS2 games were region locked by the PS3. You will not be able to play import PS1 or PS2 games on the PS3.

The good news is that it looks like the PS3 will create a virtual memory card on the hard drive for PS1 and PS2 games. You would need the memory card adatper to put your old saves onto the hard drive, but you could pop in Guitar Hero 2 (for example) and it would save your data to the hard drive.

bread's done
Back