Republicans plan push for elimation of IRS

I personally think this would be a great idea. It's not enough to get me to vote for Bush, however, since he made promises he never kept during the last campaign.

Although it would be a good idea, I can't see it getting off the ground. Look at how many people would lose their jobs if something like this took effect.

I have to wonder who would be in charge of collecting taxes, were the IRS dissolved. Which agency would be given the duty?

think about it bit more and you'll realize it's just another specious way for the rich people to pay less taxes.

[quote name='mingglf']think about it bit more and you'll realize it's just another specious way for the rich people to pay less taxes.[/quote]

The rich usually buy expensive items. As long as housing is included in the national sales tax, the rich will definitely pay their fair share as well, which is more than I can say about the current tax system.

Agreed. Most people with money, rich or not-so-rich, eventually spend that money. If that money gets spent, it gets taxed.
I think there would probably be some organization that does the actually 'collection' and accounting, but the problem with the IRS is that it's just such a huge powerful inefficient behemoth with virtual immunity [Something like 46% of the tax questions the IRS is asked, are answered wrong--and of course it's the taxpayers fault if they follow the wrong instructions.
I would love to see the IRS go away and the tax code vastly simplified; I don't think it'll happen, unfortunately. Most of a politician's job consists of one of three things:
* promising things to his constituents, or certain parts of his constituency
* running for re-election
* being schmoozed by lobbyists and smaller governments to get a 'tax break' of some sort for their specific industry/organization/city.

Many people would lose their jobs--IRS agents, accountants, lobbyists--but many of those jobs are parasitic anyway. And many of those skills could easily be transferred to benefit private industry.

The last thing to note on this is that the underground economy would finally be taxed. Organized crime, prostitution, drug dealers, Democratic pollsters etc. would all be paying taxes.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']The last thing to note on this is that the underground economy would finally be taxed. Organized crime, prostitution, drug dealers, Democratic pollsters etc. would all be paying taxes.[/quote]

Is there no shot so cheap that you won't take it, PAD? Do you think this qualifies as wit?

I'll rephrase my comments so out of touch leftists will find wit and humor and bit of realism in it according to their view of the world.... MMMMKAY?

The last thing to note on this is that the underground economy would finally be taxed. Organized crime, prostitution, drug dealers, WorldCom and Enron executives etc. would all be paying taxes.

It's just a ruse. They push this agena every presidential election to give the appearance that republicans will push for less government, or 'smaller' government. Then when they win they start spending like crazy, make new programs and new cabinet positions and more bureaucracy. Wait, was I talking about democrats or republicans? I can't tell the difference.

Orren Hatch does his thing every 2 years with the flag burning amendment push too. I't just a form of posturing, or propaganda. None of those bastards really believes anything they say during a campaign, do they? Sometimes I'm more afraid when they actually DO mean what they say.

That's just sad Pitt. When I first got here, I thought you might be an intelligent conversationalist. I can see that I was wrong. I will continue my search for an intelligent conservative opinion elsewhere. In the meantime, feel free to waste away here in this forum, spouting your zealous and fallacious rhetoric to people who don't care to hear you.

Been to Britain and had to deal with VAT? Nuff said. Seriously I get the impression most Brits hate it and I truly see nothing good coming out of this.
I'm mainly agreeing or hoping with bmulligan here but then I have to think of what Jeb Bush said a while back about getting government small enough so it could be drowned.
While just a "framework" for government sounds good for low tax purposes what about large emergency situations and so on and so forth. Also think about if you ever call to bitch to your city about something and this framework is in place. All I have to say is that I hope you like waiting on hold.

bread's done
Back