Critique My Art/Graphic Design Portfolio Website!

mentos888

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
http://www.geocities.com/mentos888/

I've been a member of CAG for awhile, so I wanted to know what you're thoughts are of my digital/non-digital art?!? I really want to make my portfolio the best it can be, so please do your worst! I mean, criticism and comments welcome, heh, so I can make upgrades and changes to the website. Thanks!

hey

you might want to ease up on the compression on the videos...potiential employeers , although they may know about the limitations of space on your site, they don't care about it and if they see pixelated work, they are going to take it as it is..pixelated and not the quality they want.

post your link over at this site
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_view_posts.cgi?forumid=173

its a really good site and you get some really good feedback from both sides of the field.

First things first, you've got to lose those copyright watermarks on every image. Potential employers are not going to steal any of your lo-res web images--and you want to put your best foot forward.

Second, I'd say you need to focus and simplify. When I'm reviewing candidates for design positions, I tell them to bring in their best 10-15 pieces and to be prepared to discuss them fully--concept to completion. On a related point, decide what kind of job it is you're looking for, and tailor your portfolio to it. If you want a graphic design job, lose the sculpture and painting, etc.

I'd also consider making the whole site a bit simpler--rather than having thumbnails for every image--just have one piece on screen, on a gray or black backgroung, and forward and back buttons. That really concentrates the viewer on that piece. Less distracting.

Finally, a text nitpick. you switch between talking in the first and third person. I'd ditch the third person stuff and just keep it all first person--it's more friendly and natural.

Some nice work on there though. I particularly like the Sun Kist design work--but I'm more geared to the graphic design side anyway.

First off, you should try a different forum- something that's graphic arts related. This is to get better feedback.

One more thing, you should not host this on Geocities. It costs less than $4 to host a website and a potential employer will not like to deal with popup ads and long obnoxious URLs..

[quote name='mik']First things first, you've got to lose those copyright watermarks on every image. Potential employers are not going to steal any of your lo-res web images--and you want to put your best foot forward.

Second, I'd say you need to focus and simplify. When I'm reviewing candidates for design positions, I tell them to bring in their best 10-15 pieces and to be prepared to discuss them fully--concept to completion. On a related point, decide what kind of job it is you're looking for, and tailor your portfolio to it. If you want a graphic design job, lose the sculpture and painting, etc.

I'd also consider making the whole site a bit simpler--rather than having thumbnails for every image--just have one piece on screen, on a gray or black backgroung, and forward and back buttons. That really concentrates the viewer on that piece. Less distracting.

Finally, a text nitpick. you switch between talking in the first and third person. I'd ditch the third person stuff and just keep it all first person--it's more friendly and natural.

Some nice work on there though. I particularly like the Sun Kist design work--but I'm more geared to the graphic design side anyway.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything stated above.

cool, great feedback. keep it coming and the copyright symbols are something I'll be working on tonight! Right now, I'm trying to get into an advertising or graphic design firm. I don't have a specific company in mind, but I am trying to get to know people in the industry by attending AIGA events. If you guys know anymore forums for graphic artists, it'd really be appreciated! I don't know of any at the moment. I kind of posted here first because I knew I'd get a quick response...

A couple of things. Take this as you will, but I've been working as a professional graphic designer for just over ten years - mostly with AOL doing designs for the Netscape brand.

First, I know it will cost a little money, but if you want someone to look at this seriously you'll want to use something other than Geocities. You can buy pretty cheap server space from GoDaddy for a couple bucks a month and it won't have any ads or nav added to your page.

Secondly, I would try to simplify the page so the pieces became more of the focus. Clean and easy to deal with visually is a key factor.

Anyway, hope this helps. Feel free to look at my portfolio site as well. www.moesleinportfolio.com

good luck!

[quote name='mik']First things first, you've got to lose those copyright watermarks on every image. Potential employers are not going to steal any of your lo-res web images--and you want to put your best foot forward.

Some nice work on there though. I particularly like the Sun Kist design work--but I'm more geared to the graphic design side anyway.[/QUOTE]

excellent advice ^^^

The art is alright, but I wouldn't list the section CPU Skills: on my resume like that. I'd say something like technical abilities or something that sounds less awkward. You ever play with Maya? I wouldn't have anything I'd want an employer to look at on geocities or anyother spam/ad webhost.

Yeah, you wanna go w/ a touch of the professional look here. Losing geocities is a must. In addition to that, you might want to redesign the site itself & have cleaner looking lines. It'll look organized & eye-pleasing. Megashock's site is a good example of this. Also, lose the... shit, I just read what mik said. Just follow that. 'Nuff said.

bread's done
Back