Bit Torrent help

MrDemonicAngel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Alright...I'm hearing from everyone how BitTorrent downloads are great, they're fast, reliable, and FAST

now i've been using this crap for a while now....reliable i get but fast???
I'm downloading at a weakass 15kb/s if i'm lucky...other people swear by this damn program on how fast it is...but i just dont see it...

i tried assessing the problem myself...from what i gather, its something to do with the PORT setting...i've tried different ports and still its slow...

can ANYONE please help me...

BitTorrent is awesome because of its "set it and forget it" usage and groups of files (whole CDs instead of single songs), not necessarily because of speed. I've had some blazing downloads that were done in mere minutes and others that crawled on for weeks.

It could possibly be a setting, though I wouldn't know where to point you. It could also be the tracker or the peers on that specific download. I've got some stuff going right now and it's taking longer than it should due to slow seeders.

Also, check your router if you have one, as you want to foward a set of ports for BT to use.

As for fast, I've had torrents go at 500+kbps, down to 0. I had one torrent take a year to finish.

BitTorrent is also the name of the protocol, for what it's worth; the topic title gives no indication of what client he's using.

Your ISP could be throttling your connection via torrent. Both Azureus and uTorrent offer encryption, you should probably turn it on, and have it still allow non-encrypted connections. As mentioned above, it could also be a torrent with a low peer count. You could try to find an extremely popular torrent if that's the case and see if you get any better results.

Port forwarding will only make a huge difference if every single peer is unconnectable, and generally on the larger and more popular torrents this won't be the case. If you think this may be the case (and it's always good to be connectable anyways), you could check out www.portforward.com for a good guide to forwarding your ports.

BitTorrent is fast.
On campus, my download/upload speed max out at about 2 megabyte per second.
At home, with a cable modem, my download speed speed max at about 700 kbps and my upload speed max out at about 40 kbps (which is a joke, but I guess that is the norm for residential speed in the US).

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']i'm sorry i'm using AZUREUS...and THESPILLCANVAS...i tried that and unfortunatly its not working...[/quote]
Are you using a linksys router?

If so when you click on Advanced --> Forwarding ... and you are on the line where you have your Azureus port listed you'll see 192.168.1.___. Is the number in that last box the same number listed in your IP? (to check go to start--> run --> type "cmd" ---> type "ipconfig" and you'll see your ip)

[quote name='Maklershed']Are you using a linksys router?

If so when you click on Advanced --> Forwarding ... and you are on the line where you have your Azureus port listed you'll see 192.168.1.___. Is the number in that last box the same number listed in your IP? (to check go to start--> run --> type "cmd" ---> type "ipconfig" and you'll see your ip)[/quote]

i'm actually using Netgear
and i changed the IP address to match my IP...its still didnt change anything

ok now its going back and forth from 13kb/s to 25kb/s ... well even though the problem wasnt completly fixed...i still wanna thank all of you CAGers for helping me out with this problem...

Well speed isn't guaranteed. Trackers can make a difference. The number of seeds+how many you're connected to makes a big difference also.

I find public torrents pale in comparison to torrents from exclusive sites (TorrentBytes, Demonoid, Oink, etc.)

I generally get 150ish.

I'll tell you this: getting started with BitTorrent is (or was, for me at least) extremely difficult.

A lot of tweaking... a lot of suggestions... a lot of dissapointment.

Eventually I got it running and I'd consistently get like 100 KB/s. That's pretty good I think. I'm not so sure that speed was the greatest thing about the torrent community, but rather the quality and accuracy (eg: no falsely-named things) of things you download...

Yeah, maximizing your router's support for torrenting is kind of tough depending on your router. However, once your ports are configured and you get constant greens, you'll be going good.

Try downloading a popular torrent when it's well seeded (say a popular show from tvtorrents.com, 3 days or so after it's aired). It may take less time to download a 43-minute show than the time it takes to watch it.

* Azureus is a memory hog; on windows, utorrent is the best client.

* Whatever you're using, your firewall has to allow incoming connections on the port you use.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']i'm actually using Netgear
and i changed the IP address to match my IP...its still didnt change anything[/QUOTE]

ahh...
that doesn't make any sense ("changed ip address to match my ip").
for netgear, type in 192.168.1.1 on a web broswer. Unless you changed the settings, the username is admin and the password is password. The first thing you need to do is assign a static IP to your compter. Click on "LAN IP SET UP" on the left hand side. Under "Address Reservation", assign your computer a static ip. It doesn't matter what it is, just pick a number between 2 and 51 or use whatever ip that is already listed.
After assigning an ip to your computer, click on "port forwarding/port triggering" on the left side and select "add custom service". Make a name for the service, enter in the port number that needs to be forwarded (look at the preferences in your bittorrent client. if your bittorrent client only uses one port, the starting and ending port are the same), and finally enter in the ip that is assigned to your computer. Click Apply and you're done.

bread's done
Back