New Mac question

falseideals

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Ok, so I got my first ever mac yesterday and I've got a few questions, The main one being, what would be the easiest way to get all of the music off of my pc and onto my mac. I thought I could just put everything on my ipod and transfer it over, but no dice because it has to be formated, which of course, deletes all the music, and I really don't want to make a bajillion cds to move my music over( I have around 50 gigs) so any help would be great. You can also recomend widgets, programs, etc.
thanks!

Create a shared folder on your PC where your music is.

On your Mac, click on the desktop to select the finder and press Apple-K.

This will bring up the connect to server dialog box. Enter smb://PCname/sharedfoldername

From there, drag them into iTunes.

Zip up all the songs, go to www.yousendit.com, and send it to yourself using some email.

Then go on your Mac, log-in to that email, and download it via that link. It'll take some time but it's probably the easiest way.

But I'm not sure if Mac can read zip files but I'd think they'd be able to.

[quote name='chemical']Create a shared folder on your PC where your music is.

On your Mac, click on the desktop to select the finder and press Apple-K.

This will bring up the connect to server dialog box. Enter smb://PCname/sharedfoldername

From there, drag them into iTunes.[/QUOTE]
What do I connect them with to do this transfer? Ethernet? firewire?

nevermind, found a cool application that did everything I wanted it to, so no music crisis finished. Still wouldn't mind any recomendations for anything cool mac related.

[quote name='falseideals']nevermind, found a cool application that did everything I wanted it to, so no music crisis finished. Still wouldn't mind any recomendations for anything cool mac related.[/QUOTE]

Check the apple section at Digg. There's always an article floating to the top about apps new switchers should try. http://www.digg.com/apple

If you've got a nice music collection going, there's a free app called Corripio for grabbing album art off iTunes and correcting file names. Flip4Mac for playing WMV files. Oh, and Boot Camp for loading up a Windows partition for games.

By the way...important note. OS X will not merge folder contents. That's pretty much the biggest oversight. So if you have a folder called "Photos" and drag another folder called "Photos" over it, EVERYTHING gets replaced with the contents of the second folder.

[quote name='falseideals']nevermind, found a cool application that did everything I wanted it to, so no music crisis finished. Still wouldn't mind any recomendations for anything cool mac related.[/QUOTE]

What was the name of the application you used? Give a little to get a little, you know.

[quote name='adamsappel']What was the name of the application you used? Give a little to get a little, you know.[/QUOTE]
I looked back over a few apple message boards and finally found someone asking the same question as i was, someone recomended a program called ipodrip. Its shareware, and it worked like a charm. it copied all the music off my ipod onto my hardrive into a folder and all I had to do was import them into itunes, took a little while, but it was a lot easier than making cds, or transfering via a flash drive

you could just use the dumb method of logging on to AIM with both the Mac and PC and doing a file transfer between computers. Or enable your iPod to be used as a hard disk and copy it like that.

bread's done
Back