Midway pulls Mortal Kombat I from Midway Arcade Treasures Vol. 2

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
Three months after it finalized the final games for Midway Arcade Treasures 2, Midway has announced it is adjusting the lineup for its classic game compilation. Gone are combat helicopter sim Steel Talons and the jet-sled racer STUN Runner. In their place comes the spaced-out action game Kozmik Kroozr’ and its prequel, Wacko. A full list of the games is below.

A.P.B.
Arch Rivals
Championship Sprint
Cyberball 2072
Gauntlet 2
Hard Drivin’
Kozmik Kroozr’
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat II
NARC
Pit Fighter
Primal Rage
Rampage World Tour
Spy Hunter 2
Timber
Total Carnage
Wizard of Wor
Xenophobe
Xybots
Wacko

Midway also used the occasion to show off the new box art for the game, which has a sleeker, more stylized look than its predecessor. The sequel to the successful Midway Arcade Treasures will arrive October 11 for the Xbox, GameCube, and PlayStation 2. It is rated "M" for mature.

link

Also notice how MK 1 is off of the list. Thanks you MK: Deception SE :roll:

Moderator: Moved to General Gaming & Industry News forum as it is a multiplatorm game. Thanks.

the original is a waste of time. The fact that it includes a perfect port of MKII makes it more than worth a purchase.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']the original is a waste of time. [/quote]

You say that like MK II and/or III were hallmarks of gameplay quality. They're all pretty weak and don't hold up well today.

They were all good games (yes, including the first one) if you're willing to accept style over substance in this case. I still like the presentation of all three of them so I enjoy them.

[quote name='BigNick']shaq-fu that. Im not buying it now.[/quote]

Agreed. That's a bitch move. I was thinking about picking it up, but after they did that, forget it. If I want to play MK I'll play it on MAME.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']the original is a waste of time. The fact that it includes a perfect port of MKII makes it more than worth a purchase.[/quote]

Agreed somewhat on the MK2 note. Personally I'm pissed off Acclaim didn't get off their butts and make the port of MK2 to the Saturn perfect when it would've been no sweat. Anyway, I don't know if I'll buy it. Depends on the cost. If it's $20-30 I'll think about it but now hearing MK was gonna be on it and has been taken off pisses me off. You ask me Midway needs NOT to be burning bridges like this especially when they've been LOSING money hence Midway giving away MK:DA with purchase of "Psi-Ops" and "Midway Arcade Treasures" with purchase of "The Suffering". This is also continued with the pre-order of the new "Shadow Hearts" game where you get the original by doing it.
I will say I wish other companies would follow Midways example with this old school collection. I wouldn't mind seeing "Tiger Road" and other Capcom/Romstar games available in a compilation. Other titles that come to mind: "Magic Sword", "Dungeons and Dragons: Tower Of Doom", "Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mysteria", "Warzard", "Knights Of the Round", etc.

ok to anyone who is pissed off by this (i know i am) e-mail midway and tell them about it. its total bull shit.

[email protected]

heres what i wrote to them
I'd like to know the reason MK1 was removed from the MAT2 compilation.I'm fully aware that MK1 will be on the new mk special edition, but if that's the reason, it's pretty weak.
I hope the exclusion of MK1 was just a typo on the website i read it on (gamespot) but i'm just checking to see what the reason is, or if ive just been misinformed.

This is total booty. Right after I was elated to hear that it was still coming to the GCN, they drop this bomb?

At least it still has Primal Rage and NARC.

I'll still get this, because I NEED my A.P.B., but this totally bites. I had no intention of buying Deception anyway, at least not at full retail price. Urge to kill....rising...

I was pumped to buy this, but they can go to hell now. Removing MK was bad enough, but also taking S.T.U.N Runner and Steel Talons, probably the two best games, just blows. Krappy Kozmic Kroozer and Wacko(ff) are poor consolation. This has gone from Must Have to Steaming Pile in one simple business decision. The only way Midway can save themself is saying they are replacing MK1 with UMK3, and SR and ST with some of their 90's driving or gun games, but we know that will never happen.

Well, I've got STUN Runner and Steel Talons on the Lynx but I've never had a home version of Wacko or Kozmik Kroozer. I don't recall the sequel but Wacko was pretty significant in terms of resolution at the time and had a weird cabinet that I hope will be shown as part of the documentary portions.

I've never had any use for the entire MK series, so the removal of that and the inclusion of something I did like from way back when is a big plus. I get much more excited by the new availablity of obscure arcade machines rather than the umpteenth release of a game that has been on every platform that could remotely support it.

I'd like to see more. Williams had a Laser-Disc w/genlocked overlay racing game whose title I forget but that has only been available to home users via some very expensive setups. The same things can be easily replicated via DVD now. I also want a version of Atari's 'I, Robot' arcade game.

A collection of the Exidy gun games, including an uncensored Chiller.

A collection of the Universal title: space Panic, Mr. Do, Lady Bug, etc.

Some of the ever forgotten Atari machines: Kangaroo, Escape From The Planet of the Robot Monsters, Major Havoc, Black Widow, Peter Packrat, Arabian, etc.

And a zillion great machines from companies that never did much of anything afterwards worth mentioning, like Spiders.

Damn I'll probably be playing a bunch of those games regardless of MK 1. As long as Rampage and Gauntlet have 4 player support, and it stays $20 I'm buying it.

I am mad, but I do like Mk2 more then part 3. We still don't really know why. I'm sure there will be such an backlash they will have to comment on it. Maybe they are holding the games for vol 3.

[quote name='rebenns']I was pumped to buy this, but they can go to hell now. Removing MK was bad enough, but also taking S.T.U.N Runner and Steel Talons, probably the two best games, just blows. Krappy Kozmic Kroozer and Wacko(ff) are poor consolation. This has gone from Must Have to Steaming Pile in one simple business decision. The only way Midway can save themself is saying they are replacing MK1 with UMK3, and SR and ST with some of their 90's driving or gun games, but we know that will never happen.[/quote]

Why not just include an UMKT instead? You'd get the best of the 64 version with the extra boxes and the "Fatality Demonstration" for the next to last box as well as ALL the boss characters with a fatality attached as well as the "Classic" characters having their fatalities.

I was going to buy Arcade Treasures 2, cause i loved the first one.. but I refuse to now. This is absolutely rediculous. I thought midway was on its way to redeeming itself, but this is really cheap. I will also not be buying the new Mortal Kombat, although it was starting to look somewhat interesting.

I also think its totally greedy how they require you to buy the $60 SE to play as scorpion..

WTF???

STUN Runner and Steel Talons were the only reason I wanted that one. As was mentioned they never came home for anything but the Lynx. Oh man, this blows, this blows bad.

I sent an email to both of those addresses letting them know how dissapointed I am with this and that I will not be buying either MK deception or MAT2. I suggest you do the same, don't let them think we're okay with this and will just buy it anyway. We don't have to buy their incomplete collection or rediculously priced collectors edition.

[quote name='jer7583']I sent an email to both of those addresses letting them know how dissapointed I am with this and that I will not be buying either MK deception or MAT2. I suggest you do the same, don't let them think we're okay with this and will just buy it anyway. We don't have to buy their incomplete collection or rediculously priced collectors edition.[/quote]

thats what i said but theres a brick wall over there you can talk to...

I emailed everyone and told them that I wasn't buying if MK wasn't in the compilation.

I was SOOO looking foward to some Mortal Kombat 1 goodness, but if this news is true they can go to hell.

If anyone hears anything new about this please post!!

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']WTF???

STUN Runner and Steel Talons were the only reason I wanted that one. As was mentioned they never came home for anything but the Lynx. Oh man, this blows, this blows bad.[/quote]

Nah, Steel Talons had an SNES version, as well as Amiga and Atari ST versions you can run under emulation. Stun Runner made the rounds of the major gaming computers too but got less console versions. This is a bit odd since it was both a more popular arcade machine and a much simpler programming task.

I am happy to hear that more people are letting them know about this, I am posting topics on the GameFAQs boards for MAT2 and MK:Deception, hopefully we can get more people from there to email.. let all the MK, Midway, and MAT fans you know hear about this so we can get as many emails sent to midway as possible!

Its really not that bad. MK1 wasn't as good as MK2, however the removal of STUN Runner and Steel Talons is pretty bad. Thank god I have both of those on my Lynx.

[quote name='jer7583']I was going to buy Arcade Treasures 2, cause i loved the first one.. but I refuse to now. This is absolutely rediculous. I thought midway was on its way to redeeming itself, but this is really cheap. I will also not be buying the new Mortal Kombat, although it was starting to look somewhat interesting.

I also think its totally greedy how they require you to buy the $60 SE to play as scorpion..[/quote]

It may be worse than that. "Raiden" and "Mileena" may be part of SE's exclusive to the respective stores that get them, like how "Scorpian" is an EB Games exclusive for the SE.

[quote name='jer7583']I also think its totally greedy how they require you to buy the $60 SE to play as scorpion..[/quote]

That's not true. EB's version of the SE has a exclusive Scorpion cover. Not exclusive character. Scorpion will be in all four versions of the Xbox SE, the PS2 SE, and both the Xbox and PS2 regular versions. In other words, in all the versions. EB's just trying to up their preorders. Note that the Gamestop listing for the game says "Exclusive Baraka cover" and not "Exclusive Baraka character."

Anyway, MAT2 is still worth $20 with or without MK1. Honestly, with MK2 on there I wouldn't be playing MK1 much anyway.

Those games may have been on the Amiga or ST but I never had either. I'm also on a Mac and don't run MAME stuff as I hate playing games at my desk I just wanted Steel Talons and STUN Runner on my XBR910 with component video. I so loved that game.

I don't understand why they would change the lineup for this given how close they were to release and the games can be ported to run on a PS2 or Xbox in a few hours of controller programming. I mean doesn't every console in existence, at least with developers kits, run a MAME program?

Don't they realize that classic gaming geeks are the ones most likely to clog their mailboxes with hate mail???

I emailed them MANY MANY hours ago.

I forgot to copy and paste it to my clipboard, or I'd post it.

It was like 15 paragraphs long.
I doubt they'll read it, but it was a really good email.

They sicken me!!

After MK, they had nothing.

It's an outrage that the original MK is no longer included considering that this news broke months ago and got tons of oldschool gamers excited that the complete MK trilogy would be available on a single disk. Sure the original MK was nowhere near as good as its 2d sequels, but what attracted me (and others i'm sure) to MAT2 was solely the inclusion of the ENTIRE trilogy, not jus 2 and 3. This kinda sellout crap gives away the fact that Midway is a corporate money whore and doesn't care about their fans.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']are you guys actually going to be playing 1 over 2&3[/quote]

YES!

And for you people who keep saying that MK 1 sucked please shut up already and realize that there are people out there who like part 1 more than the others. :roll:

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']are you guys actually going to be playing 1 over 2&3[/quote]

YES!

And for you people who keep saying that MK 1 sucked please shut up already and realize that there are people out there who like part 1 more than the others. :roll:[/quote]

No there aren't! What a horrible thing to say! Even the idea that such monsters exist out there...it's awful!

The guys at Midway are either subscribing to the "must maximize profits" philosophy that is so popular among giant publishers, in that they do whatever it takes to maximize profits, even screw the games to high hell. That, or they're worshippers of George Lucas, and want to do to MAT2 what Lucas did to Star Wars.

Yes, it really sucks. They're much worse than Namco, splitting 30 games or so across FIVE releases. It's evidently enough to make a person swear uncontrollably and wish that more people in the world got raped.

Grow up. A company's selling a product. You can choose to buy it, or not. That's all there is to it.

And about steel talons and S.T.U.N. runner - who knows? maybe it turned out they were much harder to emulate on these consoles than originally thought.

I haven't seen any of you whiners write an emulator for even a 2D title, even on the much easier to program PC architecture. You have absolutely no idea how much work goes into it. It's not like the publisher called a few of your friends, asked them what your favorite midway games were, and decided to remove those.

Would you rather buy this title to find these two games are so glitchy they're unplayable?

No there aren't! What a horrible thing to say! Even the idea that such monsters exist out there...it's awful!

I think what he means, jmcc, is that some people want to play a little MK1 so they can be reminded of how bad it was. Then they can appreciate MK2 more

bread's done
Back