Cheap-Ass Futon Advice...

strayfoxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I've never bought a futon and I figured since this is CAG, a majority of its posters have once delved into the futon arena.

I know its pretty much common knowledge but I really don't have the time to look around for one in a variety of stores and I see some nice ones online but its difficult to gauge the comfy factor.

I was just wondering if any of you have ordered one online and have a certain model suggestion? Or if you've bought any at a nationwide retailer that you might suggest. Cushion mattress vs. cushion/spring mattress. Anything at all, I'd appreciate.

I know this is a relatively inane thread, but I know CheapAsses must like cheap and comfy furniture for gaming.

Well, my two cents are:

1. This will probably get better results in the "other deals" forum.

and

2. As with anything one plans on sleeping on/with, you probably shouldn't go ahead sight unseen. Take a couple hours on the weekend to stop at a mattress store and test them out.

I bought a really thick matress for mine and it was good to sleep on but not so good to sit on. I'd recomend a not so thick cushion cause a thick one will push your back forward when you sit on it.

true, i slept on a futon for 3 years during my college years...the bed was ok, kinda hard but in couch mode it sucked :(

If you have the room, you're better off just getting a real mattress pad and putting it on the floor... futons are universally miserable. Invest the extra cash and get a real bed. Your back will thank you.

currently deciding between bed and futon myself. only problem is, if I don't get a futon, I won't have any place to sit and watch TV from in my studio :\

[quote name='Scobie'] futons are universally miserable. [/QUOTE]

I am making this post while lying on a futon, and all I have to say is: amen.

I've had this thing for under a year with an extra thick cushion (I never put it to a couch), and after a little while I've definitely started feeling the bars. I can't recommend a futon.

[quote name='Apossum']currently deciding between bed and futon myself. only problem is, if I don't get a futon, I won't have any place to sit and watch TV from in my studio :\[/QUOTE]Do not get a futon if you're going to use it as a sofa regularly. My boyfriend has had two futons, and they were both miserable for sitting in. Back support sucked for both, and the cushion sags in the current one so your butt hurts after sitting in it for a while. The old futon was fine for sleeping in; the current one sucks for everything (but it was an uber-cheapo futon, so go figure).

I'm going to go with the general consensus that futons suck, particularly for sitting in (which is supposed to be the perk of getting a futon).

[quote name='Scobie']Sleeper sofas are better options than futons.[/QUOTE]

Sleeper sofa's..God...How did I forgot about those...Arghhh..thanks for the advice...And sorry for putting this in the wrong forum, although I've been on CAG for years, I really don't make threads that much...

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I bought a really thick matress for mine and it was good to sleep on but not so good to sit on. I'd recomend a not so thick cushion cause a thick one will push your back forward when you sit on it.[/quote]

Exactly, I've found it really hard to find a futon that makes a good couch but also makes a comfortable bed (for multiple nights).

Anyhow seeing and trying the matress out before you buy it is a definite must.

yeah like others have resonated, futons are mostly bad. if you can get one with a wood frame with wide slats, and a thick ass mattress that's comfortable then be all means. however, if you're going to be using it as a couch, just save up for a couch, and if you're going to use it as a bed, then air mattress until you save up enough for a nice bed :)

but yeah you don't want to be buying and then eventually selling furniture, the depreciation is horrid.

my 2 cents

Any other CAGs with tiny ass studios? I've always rented houses and larger places, but I'll be living in a small studio for the next year or so. It's almost all kitchen, with a small space for a bed and TV.

Just wondering if there's any ideal couch/bed combo out there.

I've lived in a really small bedroom before (7' x 8') and even though it was tiny, it was much better off with a bed. My room was just a full size mattress, a computer cart and a tiny computer chair (no arms). I jacked up the bed on cinderblocks and just lived like that for a while.

If you're a big movie watcher then forget it but every time I managed to get a girl into my room it was in the bag. I had a featherbed and a big down comforter on that thing so all I had to do was get them to sit on it and bam. Just my two cents.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Sleeper sofa's..God...How did I forgot about those...Arghhh..thanks for the advice...And sorry for putting this in the wrong forum, although I've been on CAG for years, I really don't make threads that much...[/QUOTE]

If you plan on moving a decent amount (like if your in college or soon leaving college) I would not get a sleeper sofa, they are without a doubt one of the most cumbersome and annoying things you'll have to move in and out of a place. Also if you do go that be careful, many cheaper sleeper sofas can be of poor quality and and build therefore they'll break easily and not last very long.

I bought an 8" mattress with inner springs, a cover, and a silver metal frame from Value City Furniture a few years ago for $250. I've hardly ever used it for a couch. The thickness of the mattress and the inner springs make it hard to fold. As a bed, it's as good as any twin or full mattress I've ever slept on, especially for the price. I've tried other futons that aren't as thick or don't have springs and I can tell you the difference is like night and day. You could spend more on a nicer frame, but the mattress is where you're getting your comfort.

bread's done
Back