DevHook causing my PSP to freeze and shut off.

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
I don't understand, using DevHook .44, a few weeks ago when I first installed it on my PSP, it would launch the firmware with no problems. I logged in like 3 hours of GTA: LCS. But now when I try to launch it, it doesn't even get to the Sony Computer Entertainment screen. It just blacks out. Is something wrong? I didn't do any changes since last playing the PSP.

Did you happen to do a system reset in Devhook? This supposedly messes up the devhook firmware. Another possiblity is that the devhook preferences got messed up some how, maybe by accident. One time I had a problem where Devhook deleted some of my files on my memory stick, so maybe it deleted some vital files. This is a known bug and I had reformat the card and reload Devhook again. If you can't find the problem, just try deleting devhook and the firmware files and do a fresh install.

Yeah, sounds like you may have altered some of your Devhook settings by accident. Go to the Devhook menu screen and make sure everything is set right. This happened once to me and messing with the settings fixed it. If that doesn't work, just re-format your memory stick and do a fresh install.

(BTW, there is no way you can brick your PSP by using Devhook. So play as much unauthorized software as you want!)

Are you sure you have the firmware dump you are trying to run? I know it'll do that if you try to run say 2.6 when you don't actually have the 2.6 firmware on your MS.

[quote name='the ender']That's what you get for putting unauthorized software on your PSP. Brickage.[/QUOTE]Agreed. I know someone who kept insisting to me why a DevHook should be used on a PSP, for he can run Homebrew and play new PSP games (although he claimed every new PSP game sucked). People who use DevHook or any Homebrew deserve to have their PSP broken IMO. I know that's harsh, but that's just how I feel (tons of great 2006 games that are better than playing crappy homebrew).

There was a Wikipedia that listed PSP as a dead platform, because of people using it for Homebrew. I disagree.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Agreed. I know someone who kept insisting to me why a DevHook should be used on a PSP, for he can run Homebrew and play new PSP games (although he claimed every new PSP game sucked). People who use DevHook or any Homebrew deserve to have their PSP broken IMO. I know that's harsh, but that's just how I feel (tuns of great 2006 games that are better than playing crappy homebrew).

There was a Wikipedia that listed PSP as a dead platform, because of people using it for Homebrew. I disagree.[/QUOTE]

Kid can't even spell.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Agreed. I know someone who kept insisting to me why a DevHook should be used on a PSP, for he can run Homebrew and play new PSP games (although he claimed every new PSP game sucked). People who use DevHook or any Homebrew deserve to have their PSP broken IMO. I know that's harsh, but that's just how I feel (tuns of great 2006 games that are better than playing crappy homebrew).

There was a Wikipedia that listed PSP as a dead platform, because of people using it for Homebrew. I disagree.[/QUOTE]

Incredible.

First off, its an application. It doesnt even touch the flash files (firmware)..except 0.46. Even so, that doesnt even touch the critical important files, so you're fine. Bricking a PSP using any homebrew applications is a very very very rare chance of doing so. If a homebrew app fudges up, just delete it off your memory stick, and reinstall it back onto the memory stick. Problem solved.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] People who use DevHook or any Homebrew deserve to have their PSP broken IMO. I know that's harsh, but that's just how I feel (tons of great 2006 games that are better than playing crappy homebrew).[/QUOTE]

Someone should throw their bricked psp at your head >O

I own over 15 games for psp(most of them needing 2.0+) and i still want to play homebrew, does that make me any less of a supporter than you?

Back to the OP, this actually happend to me the same night you posted this, kinda sucks because i had beat 2 hard missions and hadnt saved in GTA LCS yet. I decided to upgrade to .46 and havent had any problems since. Also you can add a mod where you just hit the home + start key to go back to 1.5, making things easier than ever!

[quote name='Weedy649']I own over 15 games for psp(most of them needing 2.0+) and i still want to play homebrew, does that make me any less of a supporter than you?[/QUOTE]I own 27 PSP games. :p

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It was tired when posting it, and didn't notice a typo.[/QUOTE]

Billy Madison Quote. I heart it :)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I own 27 PSP games. :p[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter if you have more PSP games than he does, the fact of the matter is that he supports the PSP as much as you do.

I have a 1.5 PSP with homebrew and DevHook so I can play the newer games. The way I see it is the homebrew is an added bonus to having a PSP setup like mine.

I can play VP:Lenneth or GTA:LCS one minute and then go play Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana the next.

More usage out of the PSP and more gaming goodness for me.

[quote name='Bezerker']All PSP games work with Devhook.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check my Devhook settings then, because GTA is the only game that doesn't work for me.

[quote name='Kuros']Doesn't matter if you have more PSP games than he does, the fact of the matter is that he supports the PSP as much as you do.

I have a 1.5 PSP with homebrew and DevHook so I can play the newer games. The way I see it is the homebrew is an added bonus to having a PSP setup like mine.

I can play VP:Lenneth or GTA:LCS one minute and then go play Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana the next.

More usage out of the PSP and more gaming goodness for me.[/QUOTE]But am I going to take the risk and screw up my PSP, absolutely not.

I'll be serious that my PSP came with homebrew (where I had SNES ROMs and NES ROMs), but they were extremely buggy, sound problems, random crashes, etc., so I felt they just weren't worth it to have on my PSP. Unless the SNES emulator has gotten better, I'd never run them again even if I could.

The big reason as to why I'm kind of against the Homebrew is because that's all some people do, which could lead PSP to an early death, due to some games sales being low (even great games). But, as long as you are still buying PSP games, that's good then.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']But am I going to take the risk and screw up my PSP, absolutely not.

I'll be serious that my PSP came with homebrew (where I had SNES ROMs and NES ROMs), but they were extremely buggy, sound problems, random crashes, etc., so I felt they just weren't worth it to have on my PSP. Unless the SNES emulator has gotten better, I'd never run them again even if I could.

The big reason as to why I'm kind of against the Homebrew is because that's all some people do, which could lead PSP to an early death, due to some games sales being low (even great games). But, as long as you are still buying PSP games, that's good then.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the risk of screwing up the PSP is very low unless you are a dumbass.

I read the instructions, made sure I followed them correctly and everything turned out fine.

Try loading DevHook without a UMD inside. I'm running .46 and if I select "start" with a UMD in the drive I get a blank screen and the PSP shuts off but if I keep the slot open and start DevHook it runs perfect. I can also use the "Return 2.XX to 1.5" icon no problem to get back to the original FW to run homebrew.

I don't see how anyone could not like homebrew - especially now with DevHook since you don't have to choose between playing new PSP games and playing homebrew/emulators.

If it wasn't for the homebrew and other features of the PSP I would have gotten rid of it already.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']But am I going to take the risk and screw up my PSP, absolutely not.

The big reason as to why I'm kind of against the Homebrew is because that's all some people do, which could lead PSP to an early death, due to some games sales being low (even great games). But, as long as you are still buying PSP games, that's good then.[/QUOTE]
The SNES emulator is near 100% and its been like that for the past 4-6 months. FYI, its the SNES_TYL.

Homebrew doesnt even have to be about emulators. Homebrew also consists of applications and programs such as PSPRadio, AFAIK (instant messenger), SimpleAMP, OS Shells, PMP AVC Mod, and I can go on and on.

I had my PSP since launch and its at 1.50. Not only do I get to enjoy the latest games by emulating 2.71 using Devhook, but I get to enjoy some of the homebrew programs that Sony doesnt even have to start with. I get to listen to the radio on my PSP, talk to my friends using the instant messenger, watch movies in full screen, and many more.

So the emulator is almost at 100%? Saved games and all?

The thought of portable Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG might push me over the edge and force me to get one of these things..

[quote name='Scorch']So the emulator is almost at 100%? Saved games and all?

The thought of portable Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG might push me over the edge and force me to get one of these things..[/QUOTE]

The only thing that I find a wrong is a bit of slowdown and the sound is a tad bit off at times.

Other than that the games play great.

[quote name='Kuros']The only thing that I find a wrong is a bit of slowdown and the sound is a tad bit off at times.

Other than that the games play great.[/quote]

I thought there were framerate issues for most sidescrolling games. Super Metroid and any Mario game were almost unplayable last time I tried. I know people used frameskip to try and smooth it out but it wasn't that great. Zelda worked nicely though. I wonder if you play at 333MHz if that would make a difference...

[quote name='Scorch']So the emulator is almost at 100%? Saved games and all?

The thought of portable Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG might push me over the edge and force me to get one of these things..[/QUOTE]
The emulator has been almost 100% for a long time. Save games and all has been long implimented into the emulator since the start. Google the emulator and you can see all the progress the emulator has gone through.

@ the original poster - maybe u got a fake MS and it broke on you

anyway, imo devhook is a godsend - pmp player on 1.5 + newest games on 2.71 + fun cheats on gta on 2.6

The SNES emulator works fine now. I've been playing Street Fighter II and Final Fight on it and they run at full speed. You might want to check out the Sega Genesis emulator. That one runs fine also.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']The SNES emulator works fine now. I've been playing Street Fighter II and Final Fight on it and they run at full speed. You might want to check out the Sega Genesis emulator. That one runs fine also.[/QUOTE]

The only downside is that the D-Pad isn't the greatest, then again, I've never cared for the d-pad design of the PS/PSP line.

bread's done
Back