Dragon Quest VIII Price Drop to $19.99 @ Best Buy B&M

MusicNoteLess

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
I was just at BB and they sales associate said they just dropped the price of DQ today to 19.99. Use the GGC and get it for $14.99. Not a bad deal I suppose. I was able to get one with the FFXII demo inside as well.

Just edit your original post, it should have the title in a separate field.

Something like :

Dragon Quest VIII price drop: $19.99 @ Best Buy

(BB could also be blockbuster).

I don't know whether I should grab another one to replace the currently frayed box I have, though its not in too bad of a condition. =/

If you have a GGC, then BB is the place to go. However, gamestop is also showing it at $19.99 today, so it may be universal very soon.

It's not better than FF, but there's nothing wrong with it - which puts it in the top tier of RPGs.

I just finished playing the DQ 1 GBC remake... not as fun as the FF 1 GBA remake. I should probably add it to my trade list...

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']i've heard this game was better than FF series...is it true?[/quote]

I think it's better than FF8 or 9 in terms of story and overall

I'll say Chrono Trigger ties with FF7 as best RPG.

It's a good game. I got it a while back when Sears.com had it for 29.99, which was a deal at the time. I'm over 40 hours in, and only about halfway through. It's a very long game. Definitely worth the money.

I got my copy for $10 from that Circuit City Clearance.

Still haven't played it, like many of my other sealed cheappy games.

I put in about 120 hours completing the game and then doing the optional Dragovian stuff afterwards (and then doing the final battle again). It probably took me 90 hours or so for the main quest. But I took my time and searched everywhere (use the Holy Water spell or whatever it is called to get rid of the random encounters especially when backtracking into low-level monster areas). I also did the whole Monster Arena thing before finishing.

It is my favorite PS2 game (but then I haven't played FF X yet).

I'd say it is a steal at $19.99 or $14.99 - though you could have gotten it for $9.99 a few months back during the CC sale :D. I bought mine at launch for $29.99 (GR preorder deal) and don't regret that for a second (I played it from Nov - Feb).

If you want to see a few spoilers check out this page:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82620&page=4

I posted some pictures from the Dragovian fights and the Hero in the armor you get from the Dragovian stuff. I don't really consider those spoilers, but the last set of pictures at the bottom is spoileriffic, so don't go past the Dragon if you don't want to see what the 'true' ending is (including a picture of the oh-so-cute final boss).

[quote name='majinvegeta-88']Its also this price at Blockbuster/Gamerush so this may be a universal price drop[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? If Gamerush has it dropped to $20, then it is $20 everywhere else in the world. They are usually the last to drop game prices. I saw a couple at my GR today. I'm tempted to buy one just because - even though I already have it and beat it. It seems a shame to leave a game that good sitting there at that price :lol:.

Awesome, I've been wanting to grab DQ8 for a while, but I know I won't get around to actually playing it for months. What's this about using the GGC to get the game for $15? [goes off to find reference in other threads]

here, I'll make it easier for you.

Games Gift Card and how to get 5.00 off. and keep in mind the GGC is only available at Best Buy.

1. Obtain a GGC buy finding it on the gift card rack. It's in a CD case with the word "Games" across the gift card.
2. Purchase the GGC with any amount(.01-infinity). I say 5 bucks is a reasonable amount.
3. In the back of the CD case is a coupon for 5.00 off any video game 19.99 and up. Use it to get a better deal.

And voila, that is the GGC in a nutshell.

[quote name='musicnoteless']And voila, that is the GGC in a nutshell.[/QUOTE]
You rock! At $15 DQ8 is a no brainer for me. Thanks again for the post.

I'm not sure if BB will continue the GGC. At my BB they stop stocking that gift card altogether.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Those 5$ off BB coupons Died over the weekend. (sunday the 6th) Does this 19.99 drop mean the GH label is on the way?[/QUOTE]
Oh god, NO!!!! just kidding, oh well.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Those 5$ off BB coupons Died over the weekend. (sunday the 6th) Does this 19.99 drop mean the GH label is on the way?[/quote]

I doubt it. My coupon doesn't expire till 6-30-07. Unless they really are getting screwed by us CAGers, I doubt they're pulling these out. Just wait till a new batch comes in. They're seasonal, aren't they?

[quote name='Supercake']I got DQ8 earlier tonight, and used a GGC for the first time. *Sniff* Now I feel like a real CAG! :) Thanks OP.[/quote]

After a year, you have finally grown, so happy for you *sniff*

[quote name='dbz4ever']After a year, you have finally grown, so happy for you *sniff*[/QUOTE]

Hey, I just used a GGC for the first time a few weeks ago to get Castlevania DS. I've just never had a reason to buy a full-priced game at a store where I didn't have credit (like GR or EB). Now, the $5 off PS2/PSP (no minimum) coupons at Best Buy - I've used those a-plenty!

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Those 5$ off BB coupons Died over the weekend. (sunday the 6th) Does this 19.99 drop mean the GH label is on the way?[/quote]

It's listed in the Best Buy ad for 8/13 - 8/19/06 as a Greatest Hits Title.

[quote name='musicnoteless']I was just at BB and they sales associate said they just dropped the price of DQ today to 19.99. Use the GGC and get it for $14.99. Not a bad deal I suppose. I was able to get one with the FFXII demo inside as well.[/quote]

good thing I bought it the week it came out so I could play the horrible FFXII demo! I still haven't gotten to it yet...

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']i've heard this game was better than FF series...is it true?[/quote]Yes, along with the Grandia series, the Lunar series, the Phantasy Star OFFLINE series, etc.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Good RPG at a great price, but be warned: this game gets super hard really quick.[/quote]

Thanks for the warning, dude. But it won't stop a true RPG fan from seeing the ending.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Good RPG at a great price, but be warned: this game gets super hard really quick.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that - it is hard at the very beginning because your chars are so weak, and then off and on for the first half as you might stray into areas with tougher monsters. Then it gets fairly easy and stays that way through the end unless you go for the optional stuff afterwards - THAT stuff is a real pain, but a good challenge too! I recommend it (and it is the only way to get the 'good' ending).

[quote name='io']I wouldn't say that - it is hard at the very beginning because your chars are so weak, and then off and on for the first half as you might stray into areas with tougher monsters. Then it gets fairly easy and stays that way through the end unless you go for the optional stuff afterwards - THAT stuff is a real pain, but a good challenge too! I recommend it (and it is the only way to get the 'good' ending).[/quote]

I would agree DQVIII isn't all that hard, the beginning is indeed mildly challenging then the game moves to a easy/medium difficulty and then it ramps back up right near the end when monsters start getting the Wave of Ice (I believe is the name of the spell) which cancels all buffs and reduces all tension to zero that is annoying as hell but you learn to deal with it, the final boss only took me two tries to beat my first time. The extra dungeon is mildly harder and completing all of the Dragovian Trials is a major pain in the butt because that boss is literly cheap as hell, not only does he have wave of ice but he hits for critical damaged when he is in Dragon form like 1/2 the time, which was enough to kill people in one hit or injure them to extremely low health.

Overall though I'd say even at its toughest it isn't as hard as a bunch of other RPGs out there; you want hard go beat Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and get the True Demon ending which requires you to face a plathora of special bosses almost all of which are cheap as hell; it would make DQVIII look like a cakewalk.

PeaceOut->
icebeast

I saw the Greatest Hits version at Target on Sunday, so anybody wanting a non-GH version better jump on this fast. They also had GH versions of Burnout Revenge which I had not seen before.

Yeah, I lost to the first boss when I first played this. I really wasn't expecting a game over so quick. Then later on I beat him but still..

[quote name='GunstarRed']I saw the Greatest Hits version at Target on Sunday, so anybody wanting a non-GH version better jump on this fast. They also had GH versions of Burnout Revenge which I had not seen before.[/quote]
It is most likely without the cardboard case and FF-XII demo disc, right?

I was afraid this was going to be universal after I picked it up for $19.99 at Fry's last week (sorry I forgot to post that). I was afraid because I have $20 in Replay Rewards for Sam Goody and I don't know of anything I want now that I have DQ8.

bread's done
Back