- - - - -

Dragon Quest VIII Price Drop to $19.99 @ Best Buy B&M

#31 dbz4ever   Living Dilbert's life. CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

dbz4ever

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:58 AM

I got DQ8 earlier tonight, and used a GGC for the first time. *Sniff* Now I feel like a real CAG! :) Thanks OP.

After a year, you have finally grown, so happy for you *sniff*

#32 io   ... Super Moderators   24873 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:02 AM

After a year, you have finally grown, so happy for you *sniff*

Hey, I just used a GGC for the first time a few weeks ago to get Castlevania DS. I've just never had a reason to buy a full-priced game at a store where I didn't have credit (like GR or EB). Now, the $5 off PS2/PSP (no minimum) coupons at Best Buy - I've used those a-plenty!

#33 speedy1961   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2935 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

speedy1961

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

Those 5$ off BB coupons Died over the weekend. (sunday the 6th) Does this 19.99 drop mean the GH label is on the way?

It's listed in the Best Buy ad for 8/13 - 8/19/06 as a Greatest Hits Title.

#34 n25philly   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   649 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

n25philly

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

I was just at BB and they sales associate said they just dropped the price of DQ today to 19.99. Use the GGC and get it for $14.99. Not a bad deal I suppose. I was able to get one with the FFXII demo inside as well.

good thing I bought it the week it came out so I could play the horrible FFXII demo! I still haven't gotten to it yet...

#35 Daytonabot   Hornet CAGiversary!   445 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Daytonabot

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

i've heard this game was better than FF series...is it true?

Yes, along with the Grandia series, the Lunar series, the Phantasy Star OFFLINE series, etc.

#36 haguremetaru   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

haguremetaru

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:08 AM

Just picked this up as well...

It was also my first GGC!

/me <3 CAG

btw, anyone know what DQ7 goes for these days?

#37 dbz4ever   Living Dilbert's life. CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

dbz4ever

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

Just picked this up as well...

It was also my first GGC!

/me <3 CAG

btw, anyone know what DQ7 goes for these days?

$19.99.

#38 woobacca   Shrunken Shuriken CAGiversary!   868 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:36 AM

I just picked it up. The guy was totally cool and let me buy and use the GGC coupon on the spot. Thanks again OP.

#39 -Never4ever-   That Guy. CAGiversary!   7832 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

-Never4ever-

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

Good RPG at a great price, but be warned: this game gets super hard really quick.

#40 dbz4ever   Living Dilbert's life. CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

dbz4ever

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Good RPG at a great price, but be warned: this game gets super hard really quick.

Thanks for the warning, dude. But it won't stop a true RPG fan from seeing the ending.

#41 io   ... Super Moderators   24873 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

I wouldn't say that - it is hard at the very beginning because your chars are so weak, and then off and on for the first half as you might stray into areas with tougher monsters. Then it gets fairly easy and stays that way through the end unless you go for the optional stuff afterwards - THAT stuff is a real pain, but a good challenge too! I recommend it (and it is the only way to get the 'good' ending).

#42 monstericreated   merkin' snitches CAGiversary!   539 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

monstericreated

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the tip! Grabbed one today. :)

#43 warmlonelyplanet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   87 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

warmlonelyplanet

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try and find a copy tomorrow and use the GGC method. Hopefully, it'll work out okay.

#44 SinOfHeart   Teddie's #1 Fan CAGiversary!   5154 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

SinOfHeart

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:15 AM

I wouldn't say that - it is hard at the very beginning because your chars are so weak, and then off and on for the first half as you might stray into areas with tougher monsters. Then it gets fairly easy and stays that way through the end unless you go for the optional stuff afterwards - THAT stuff is a real pain, but a good challenge too! I recommend it (and it is the only way to get the 'good' ending).

I would agree DQVIII isn't all that hard, the beginning is indeed mildly challenging then the game moves to a easy/medium difficulty and then it ramps back up right near the end when monsters start getting the Wave of Ice (I believe is the name of the spell) which cancels all buffs and reduces all tension to zero that is annoying as hell but you learn to deal with it, the final boss only took me two tries to beat my first time. The extra dungeon is mildly harder and completing all of the Dragovian Trials is a major pain in the butt because that boss is literly cheap as hell, not only does he have wave of ice but he hits for critical damaged when he is in Dragon form like 1/2 the time, which was enough to kill people in one hit or injure them to extremely low health.

Overall though I'd say even at its toughest it isn't as hard as a bunch of other RPGs out there; you want hard go beat Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and get the True Demon ending which requires you to face a plathora of special bosses almost all of which are cheap as hell; it would make DQVIII look like a cakewalk.

PeaceOut->
icebeast

#45 GunstarRed   The Rated 'G' Superstar CAGiversary!   1623 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:55 AM

I saw the Greatest Hits version at Target on Sunday, so anybody wanting a non-GH version better jump on this fast. They also had GH versions of Burnout Revenge which I had not seen before.

#46 suko_32   (soo-koh-32) - noun CAGiversary!   6475 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, I lost to the first boss when I first played this. I really wasn't expecting a game over so quick. Then later on I beat him but still..

#47 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:10 AM

I saw the Greatest Hits version at Target on Sunday, so anybody wanting a non-GH version better jump on this fast. They also had GH versions of Burnout Revenge which I had not seen before.

It is most likely without the cardboard case and FF-XII demo disc, right?

#48 dbz4ever   Living Dilbert's life. CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

dbz4ever

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:23 AM

wow never thought DQVIII would go GH.

#49 ragtop70   Mr. Axsom CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

I was afraid this was going to be universal after I picked it up for $19.99 at Fry's last week (sorry I forgot to post that). I was afraid because I have $20 in Replay Rewards for Sam Goody and I don't know of anything I want now that I have DQ8.

#50 psiufoxx2   Pouty CAGiversary!   1798 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

I was more than happy to pick up DQ8 fotr $15 after GGC. Thanks to all who posted this deal. Not even the BB employee who price checked the game for me knew it had dropped to $20. :D