Nintendo fans,....we ARE getting Mortal Kombat!!!! Read, no joke!!

drone8888

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey there.
I was so upset yesterday, that I wrote Tim DaRosa, over at Midway.

Here's what I wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 2:21 AM
To: DaRosa, Tim
Subject: The retraction of a title?? Scorn??

Hello there.

I am just writing, in regards to the recent announcement of the classic title, Mortal Kombat, being removed from your you Arcade Treasures 2 compilation disc.

I fully understand the positive impact it will have on sales of the Premium Packs, on the Playstation 2, and XBox releases of MK Deception, but I'm a little hurt.

Alright, I'm REALLY hurt! I am a PROUD owner of a Nintendo GameCube. Not only will I not be getting MK Deception,...I am also forced to live without the keystone of the series, on my pre-ordered Midway's Arcade Treasures 2 disc.

I do own the other 2 systems, although, I take things very personally. As do most gamers. I will not be purchasing either rendition of Deception, based solely on the fact that you have screwed GameCube owners again.

I know you have to pay the bills. I know that the PS2 is a cash cow. I know Microsoft has a fabulous online setup, to fully exploit every aspect of your game.

It's just,....you are selling a compilation disc. It is supposed to represent your finest moments, in videogame history. Would it really kill you to grant us Cube owners one last wish?? To go out with a bang??

Well, I'm sure your secretary will just delete this, so I won't wait by my inbox for a response. So,... secretary,... hear this!

I have been a Midway fan since I figured out how to flip a milk crate over, to play Rampage, when I was just 6 years old. (My mom took a picture!) I have also been a Nintendo fan, since Mario, on my dad's Atari. Both companies have fulfilled my every want, and desire, and even created yearnings for stuff I've never dreamed of.

Nintendo has never let me down! When sales were sluggish, when backers backed out, they were there. Can you say the same for yourselves?? I think not.

You took the survey approach. You took current fads, and pop-culture, and oozed it all over your potentially great games. Upping the maturity, and subtracting the most envigorating elements, just to make a buck.

BUT!!!! I still bought your games, because of the nostalgia, that enveloped me, everytime I saw a preview, or a screenshot. I thought, `This could be it,..their return to wonderful games.' Well, it hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately, this has broken my back. I will no longer support you. I will no longer promote, or endorse anything that you produce. This is hitting me very hard.

I have talked AT LEAST, twenty people, into pre-ordering MAT2, for the GameCube, and I can assure you, that they networked at least a quarter of that afrterwards. You know how it works,.....1 person, can influence thousands.

I don't want you to take this as a threat. I just want justice. Please, give us back our Mortal Kombat on the GAMECUBE. Otherwise, we will have n other means of playing it.

Thanks for your time.

Michael.

Alright, now here's what he wrote back:

Michael,

The secretary let this one through…fyi, stay tuned. Later this month, you’ll learn that GCN owners will, indeed, have a chance to get their hands on the original MK. J

Take care and keep the Midway flag high!

Tim

Now, tell me that's not sweet??!!

I believe Tim DeRosa was the guy from Midway I dealt with when Gamecrazy refused to let me have Midways Arcade Treasures vol 1 with my preorder of the Suffering. He was so nice he sent me BOTH the suffering and MAT vol 1. for free.

However, note the careful wording there...you will get MK1 on your GCN - it just didn't say on WHAT disc it's coming on.

[quote name='daikaiju']However, note the careful wording there...you will get MK1 on your GCN - it just didn't say on WHAT disc it's coming on.[/quote]

Exactly. Sounds like a nice way of saying "You can play MK1...when you pre-order MK Deception!"

[quote name='PsyClerk'][quote name='daikaiju']However, note the careful wording there...you will get MK1 on your GCN - it just didn't say on WHAT disc it's coming on.[/quote]

Exactly. Sounds like a nice way of saying "You can play MK1...when you pre-order MK Deception!"[/quote]

Well their hasn't been a SE version of Deception announced for GCN, so its better than nothing. With no SE version and it taken out of Treasures, it seemed like GCN lovers wouldn't be able to play MKI period.

Or there may be yet another MK compilation in the works. Perhaps they can throw in some of their other fighting (MACE, War Gods, etc.) properties, unloved though they may be, just to fill out the package a bit more.

You got me very excited for a bit, as I also am getting MAT2 on the GCN.

But it's very cool that you got a response, much less a positive one like that.

Deception isn't coming to the Cube.

Online is a very big part of the latest installment.
There's Mortal Chess, a tetris type game, and a crapload of other features that only online can utilize.

It would have been nice, but Midway has pulled all support for Nintendo.

A sad, but not devestating decision.

I really B/S'd about how great they are.
The only sub-par game they have put out recently, was The Suffering, and the mediocre MK:DA,...IMHO.

I only want the Arcade Treasures, to tell you the truth.

I honestly wasn't expecting that response either. It was unbeleivably fast too.

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='XboxMaster']Is Tim DeRosa big?[/quote]What do you mean by big? :wink:[/quote]

I mean, is he important, or is he just a customer service guy?

Gee reading the title made me wonder if it was 1992 all over again. I wonder when people will realize MK sucks no matter how it is?

[quote name='rebenns']Who would want to play MK1 on the GC controller anyway?[/quote]

I was kinda thinking that when I first read this.

The controls on pretty much all of the Mortal Kombat games are shit. The only good part is the fatalities, and even those get boring after awhile. Midway does not know the meaning of a good game, or they know it and would rather not apply it to one.

Eh, I don't know about this. GC isn't getting Deception, so it won't be on that. But with the way he phrased it, I don't think it will be on MAT2 either, otherwise he would have just said so.

No telling where it's gonna be...

But, if the GC version of MAT2 has MK1, I'll buy it. If not, I'll get the PS2 or Xbox version. The removal of MK1 won't stop me from buying MAT2, but I'm definetly buying the best version of it.

Midway will probably port MK1 to the GBA, and if you have a GBA Player, you could play MK1 on your GC.

Thats all I can think of at this time..

From IGN.com's mailbag:

What's the deal with Soul Calibur 3? Huh? Since Midway has decided to shaft the 250,000 of us who purchased Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance by not giving us MKD sequel, I simply must ask what will become of our greatest fighting franchise? Where is the sequel to Soul Calibur 2 and more importantly how can Nintendo and Namco make Sony and M$ green with envy that we got the greatest version of the game? Answers people.... we need answers!

Matt responds: Don't fret about Mortal Kombat. The situation is not quite as bleak as you might think. But as for the Soulcalibur franchise (and by the way it really is spelled like that, according to Namco), the developer has a sequel in the works. It's very early on. And I have no idea what to expect from it yet. But we can assume that Nintendo fans will not be ignored, especially since the GameCube version of Soulcalibur II, which was powered by Link, outsold the others.

If you're reading this, Namco people, please make an all-Zelda fighter in the style of Soulcalibur. (By the way, look for an editorial from me on this very subject in the not too distant future.)

Is the Cube getting a version of MK: Deception after all?

bread's done
Back