XBLA - Battlestar Galactica - 800pts (400pts on 4/5 Only)

ryanbph

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)

updated to add the arcade game...story taken from achievementjunkie.com

http://achievementjunkie.com/2007/10/18/battlestar-galactica-lands-on-arcade-next-week/#more-774

Sierra Online have just confirmed that next week, Xbox Live Arcade users will be able to download the new Battlestar Galactica title. The game has gotten a bit of attention in the past, as folks didn’t really know what the game fully entailed.
Of course there’s the usual single player mode, and standard MP ( Deathmatch, TDM, and new mode called Domination), as well as the unique weapons and crafts from the universe to fly. Looks promising, hopefully it’s better than Yaris. The game will go Live on Wednesday, for 800 Microsoft Points…
———————–
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA™ INTERACTIVE GAME RELEASE DATES SET
Battlestar Galactica: Razor Flashback Clips Available on SCIFI.com
Los Angeles – Oct. 18, 2007 – Sierra Online, a division of Vivendi Games, has set release dates for Battlestar Galactica™, an action-packed, space combat interactive game based on the popular television series produced by Universal Media Studios and airing on SCI FI Channel. Battlestar Galactica™ will be available for Windows PC via top online gaming portals and in retail stores Oct. 23, 2007 and will land on Xbox LIVE Arcade Oct. 24, 2007. The Battlestar Galactica™ interactive game is produced under license from Universal Pictures Digital Platforms Group.
Leading up to the launch of the game, fans of the series can also watch Razor Flashbacks on www.scifi.com/battlestar that will whet their appetites for the upcoming SCI FI Channel special two-hour Battlestar Galactica episode: Razor. Razor, which will serve as a backdrop for the events of season four of Battlestar Galactica, tells the story of Lee Adama’s first mission as the commander of the battlestar Pegasus — and the harrowing tale of that ship’s desperate fight for survival in the immediate aftermath of the Cylon’s genocidal siege of the Twelve Colonies.
Features of the upcoming game include:
  • Single-Player Campaign – Pilot various ships and complete 10 memorable missions from the TV series.
  • Multiplayer Game Mode – Play online in this relentless space-based action shooter in Domination, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes. (8 players on Xbox LIVE Arcade and 16 players on Windows PC)
  • Legendary Spaceships – Fly 4 Human and 4 Cylon ships from the Viper II to the Cylon Raider, each with unique weapon capabilities.
  • Special Weapons – Coordinate attacks with an arsenal of destructive weapons including the missiles, guns and more.
  • Defensive Maneuvers – Avoid annihilation with the barrel roll, flip turn and other aerial moves.
Battlestar Galactica is rated E 10+ and will be available for Windows PC at retail outlets nationwide as well as top online gaming portals for $19.99. An Xbox LIVE Arcade version of the game will be available for 800 Microsoft points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace. For more information on the Battlestar Galactica interactive game visit www.bsgarcade.com.”

When it debuted in 2003, the new Battlestar Galactica was greeted with skepticism. After all, it was a remake of a 1970-'80s series with a strong cult following produced by the Sci-Fi Channel, a cable network then infamous for its low-budget TV movies of the week.

Galactica stars Grace Park, James Callis, and Tricia Helfer.

Surprisingly, Battlestar Galactica proved the naysayers wrong. Its innovative plotlines, which were created by ex-Star Trek: The Next Generation writer Ronald D. Moore, won it critical acclaim and solid ratings. The series has also garnered a major following for its unusually gritty atmosphere. Instead of the clean-cut, sober officers of the Star Trek shows, Galactica's crew is a unkempt, hard-drinking lot whose demoralized dialogue is peppered with the fictional expletive "frak."
In 2004, the show was picked up as a full-time series. It ended its most recent season, its second, in March with one of the more shocking cliffhangers in sci-fi television history. Such boldness helped the show win one of this year's Peabody Awards, the prestigious honor for excellence in broadcasting which it shared with CNN, NBC Nightly News, and South Park, amongst others.
The third season of Battlestar Galactica is premiering in October, and the Sci-Fi channel is pulling out all the stops to promote it. It has put together a television special, titled Battlestar Galactica: The Story So Far, summing up the key events of the Battlestar Galactica mini series and its first two seasons. The special will air on all the cable stations owned by Sci-Fi parent NBC Universal, which includes Bravo and USA, as well as the West Coast affiliates of the NBC broadcast TV network.
NBC Universal will also be targeting gamers with its PR offensive by releasing The Story So Far on Xbox Live Marketplace in its entirety. Though both seasons of Battlestar Galactica are already available on iTunes, the special will be the "first longform program ever to be offered" on Xbox Live.
While exciting for fans of the show with Xbox 360s, the announcement was short on information about the The Story So Far on Xbox Live. No date was given for the release of the program, nor was its size revealed. In addition, no price was mentioned for the program, though given its promotional nature, it is presumably free.
Unfortunately, the Xbox Live announcement had no information on the rumored Battlestar Galactica role-playing game which Moore mentioned when he spoke at the 2006 Game Developers Conference

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155564.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

very interesting news, and it is a great show.

Wow. Awesome news. BSG is my favorite show. Now only if they start letting us buy HD episodes, I will make love to my 360 for 4 hours straight.

This is exactly where Xbox Live needs to be going. Just wish they would go faster.

Interesting....I wonder if they will start releasing whole episodes and series on there. I would LOVE o see Surface come back (one season...sheesh).

[quote name='doubledown']Interesting....I wonder if they will start releasing whole episodes and series on there. I would LOVE o see Surface come back (one season...sheesh).[/QUOTE]

As big as M$ is, It's always perplexed me why they don't exert some more influence on Hollywood to start having tv shows to download. Why can apple do it but Microsoft can't? Especially when you could pay $3 for an HD episode of your favorite show. I would.

I wish it was the old ones, with the tin foil costumes and the same camera angles over and over :lol:

I thought msft had made a deal with direct tv awhile back. Maybe you will see there ppv/ on demand service(not sure if they have that, I have comcast) services available over xbox live.

[quote name='David85']This season can't be any worse than the second half of season 2.[/QUOTE]

I liked most of the second season, especially the finale. Took balls.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I liked most of the second season, especially the finale. Took balls.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I thought that "Downloaded" was one of the best episodes of the series, and the finale was excellent.

Aside from a few episodes (like Black Market) I really loved Season 2.5. If BSG is free on Live my hard drive will be full of episodes.

From the sound of it, it's just one TV special, not the series.

Which is fine because a 20gb HDD would fill up easily if they offer TV series over Live. If that's the direction they want they need to market a larger HDD (at least 60gb) by then.

yes it looks like it is just a special. But it is good to see they are moving in the direction of tv shows on xbox live

[quote name='David85']This season can't be any worse than the second half of season 2 not including the last 3 episodes.[/QUOTE]
Fixed

[quote name='thrustbucket']I liked most of the second season, especially the finale. Took balls.[/QUOTE]
Brass ones

No not fixxed. I felt that even the finale was kind of lame. The charaters didn't act like themselves and they cut footage out of other episodes that explains why they went back to Caprica. It just felt badly done and the jump felt like desperation. The last 3 minutes were amazing through. I just don't like how we got there.

After the Pegaus storyline ended with Cain I felt that the show really changed into something completely different. Oddly a friend of mine loves the show and has only seen the episodes I hate. I'm like "Even the creator doesn't like some of those episodes, those are the worst ones." He was amazed. I'm trying to get him to watch the miniseries and then he can barrow my tapes and get up to date with the show.

Looks like its coming next week:
Microsoft seem to be getting caught out quite a lot recently, as it has once again been beaten to the announcement of next week’s Arcade title. Sierra Online have sent out a press release stating that Battlestar Galactica will be heading our way on the 24th October.
The list of features include:
  • Single-Player Campaign – Pilot various ships and complete 10 memorable missions from the TV series.
  • Multiplayer Game Mode – Play online in this relentless space-based action shooter in Domination, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch modes. (8 players on Xbox LIVE Arcade and 16 players on Windows PC)
  • Legendary Spaceships – Fly 4 Human and 4 Cylon ships from the Viper II to the Cylon Raider, each with unique weapon capabilities.
  • Special Weapons – Coordinate attacks with an arsenal of destructive weapons including the missiles, guns and more.
  • Defensive Maneuvers – Avoid annihilation with the barrel roll, flip turn and other aerial moves.
The game has been rated E 10+, and will be arriving at the price of 800 MS Points. The PC version goes on sale a day before for $19.99, should anyone be interested.
http://www.xboxic.com/news/3841

I hope this is good.

I may be in the minority, but I loved the BSG game for the Xbox/PS2 from a few years back. Had nothing to do with either show tho, you played a young Adama piloting a Viper during his Academy days.

Also, I would frak the shit out of Grace Park.

[quote name='Puffa469']I hope this is good.
[/quote]
Same here. I have 4500 MS points that I need to spend, and I love Battlestar Galactica.
Hopefully this will sell well enough for us to get a full Rogue Squadron type of Battlestar Galactica game with missions from all 4 seasons.

[quote name='Puffa469']I hope this is good.

I may be in the minority, but I loved the BSG game for the Xbox/PS2 from a few years back. Had nothing to do with either show tho, you played a young Adama piloting a Viper during his Academy days.

Also, I would frak the shit out of Grace Park.[/quote]

sci fi channels website, (as well as airing on sci fi during flash gordons shows on friday nights) is airing a prequel to the upcoming razor mini series....it is about adama fighting during the first war. I haven't watched them yet, but more bsg is good news for me:lol:

I never watched the show but i heard good things. I downloaded the trial last nite and even tho the controls were a bit weird at first I really started liking it, gonna go look up the achivements list and maybe buy it. Anyone else got anything they wanna say on the game?

I bought it. It's not great, but it's not horrible either. The only thing that really bugs me is that it takes a lot of hits to destroy Cylon Raiders which are destroyed really easily in the show.

Well I wish the trial was more than 30 seconds of gameplay and showing you an effing video for every other selection in the game menu, or I might have bought it. I can't know as much as I would like about the game with 30 seconds of gameplay.

I thought the demo was ok. I don't think I'm buying this game though, saving my points for something else.

The game is about 400 points too much from what the demo seems like. The controls are ok, but the view sucks. It def seems similar to Wing Commander Arena.

And ya, the first time I came upon the forced video, I kicked back to the dashboard and deleted it.

I played through most of the single player today and I was pretty disappointed that in the Resurrection Ship level they didn't have the Battlestar Pegasus, only the Galactica. Honestly how hard would it have been to make a Pegasus model and put it in the level?

This is one of those games where the demo was so restricted and unrepresentative of the game that I couldn't make a decision. May have to pick it up if others recommend it.

I am assuming the best show on tv certainly isn't the best game on XBLA.

bread's done
Back