JEKKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
for reals!

actually... I want to get a PhD...

but I wanna be an actuary first!!

does anybody know anything about them??

more specifically, has anyone taken the first exam (society of Actuaries P1 probability exam)?

I have to take it a week from today (aug 17) and have been studying for the past 2-3 weeks.

the practice exam is 123 questions long, is the real exam dat long??

and how long do they give u to take it?

and what's a passing score??

coz dat shit aint easy yo...

anyway if u do not kno what actuary is, u prolly dont kno what Im talking about

but with a forum full of a lot of ppl, somebody should know something

I guess your dream of being a high school English teacher has been shattered forever by that horrible accident on the Interstate that left your bottom lip paralyzed thus preventing you from properly evocating the poetry of Keats to your eager students.....

Actuaries work pretty hard. A family friend of ours is one. They make good money, but number crunching? Pass.

apossum>> yes indeed! the speed of god be with me! and slo with you!

zerosupport>> huh?

mookymooky>> dats the site where I got my practice exam from!

but... I should have read it more, it actually had the info I needed!

it's a 3 hour exam with 30 questions, which is a BIG relief compared to 123 questions.

jmcc>> haha yea I like beans too

sblymnlcrymnl>> haha who said dat??

doesnt that mean if a man agrees to suck penis for an amount, I can bank off it too?

Xevious>> I didnt get into any accident...

and I never wanted to be an english teacher,

not even those english teachers dat go to japan.

maybe an english rapper tho,

but the only thing I am is a quant! a real super quant!

jpod>> it's ok mang, Im actually a pretty damn hard worker. for reals.

apossum>> yes indeed! the speed of god be with me! and slo with you!

dam, daz harsh yo! wuz da deel jeki?

well, blind people have enhanced hearing. maybe your lack of English skillz denotes enhanced number crunching skillz :p

Web definitions for Actuary
A mathematician employed by an insurance company to calculate premiums, reserves, dividends, and insurance, pension, and annuity rates, using risk factors obtained from experience tables.

[quote name='Apossum']dam, daz harsh yo! wuz da deel jeki?

well, blind people have enhanced hearing. maybe your lack of English skillz denotes enhanced number crunching skillz :p[/QUOTE]ahaha omg my bad,

I meant to say "also with you",

freakin internet cafe keyboards are hella sticky and hard to type...

I shuld be studying, but Im at the cafe rite now insteasd!

hah and yea kimpossible is tite

edit: ppl at the cyber cafe are s annoying,

dat's whyt I dnt like to play computer games

[quote name='DeathDealer']Ive never heard of an actuary, sounds interesting though.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the most boring job of all time. But at least it pays well.

[quote name='jPoD']Pretty much the most boring job of all time. But at least it pays well.[/quote]

Actually, the actuaries that I've talked to all seem to love their jobs. They work with a subject that (usually) interests them, and they get paid very well for it. Jekki, if you are a "math person", go for it. I'd be interested in hearing about the results of your first exam. I'm hoping to take my first exam in February.

Good on ya Jekki if it's Auto. Anything else? I detest Health Insurance and think it shouldn't exist as a business. I don't think ANYONE should make money off the chance someone will get sick. I also think Hospitals should not be allowed to make a profit and that ties directly into my idea that I think it's wrong making money off people being sick. That and you question if in the hospital they don't give medications to keep people sick or help them drift towards that tendency.

[quote name='JEKKI']for reals!

actually... I want to get a PhD...

but I wanna be an actuary first!!

does anybody know anything about them??

more specifically, has anyone taken the first exam (society of Actuaries P1 probability exam)?

I have to take it a week from today (aug 17) and have been studying for the past 2-3 weeks.

the practice exam is 123 questions long, is the real exam dat long??

and how long do they give u to take it?

and what's a passing score??

coz dat shit aint easy yo...

anyway if u do not kno what actuary is, u prolly dont kno what Im talking about

but with a forum full of a lot of ppl, somebody should know something[/QUOTE]

i've been an actuary for 3 years now and passed 5 tests so i'll try to help

30 questions, the pass mark isn't set til after the test - the test is reviewed by people to determine what is the most fair passing score, 4 hours. I think when I took the exam you're taking now 23/30 was passing, but the most recent one I took 17/30 was passing. It depends on how hard the questions are.

about studying they usually say about 200 hours of study time before the exam, really depends on how well you know the material. The first one (P1 you're taking) could be less depending on what college courses you took and how you did in them. The problem is you have to study so much material and then there's only 30 questions, so a lot of it you won't get tested on it, but it's impossible to know what to study.

my job's pretty boring and repetitive now, but once you get into the SOA or CAS you're set.

Some good skills you might want to learn are: SQL, PhP, ASP.NET, Microsoft Access

A lot of the jobs now require you to be familar with databases and programming.

tomorrow is the moment of truth!!

Im nervous as hell.....

hopesfall>>> "math person"? haha, I got a bachelor degree in math!! last june!

Sarang01>>> health insurance isnt just making money off ppl getting sick,

it provides an option for you just if you want to get anything done.

in school we had to be insured either by them or someone else,

so since I had to have school health insurance I took advantage of it!!

everybody has their health concerns, no matter if you're sick or not.

I was trying to get a job as an analyst for life insurance tho, is that any better??

rsigley>> "SQL, PhP, ASP.NET, Microsoft Access" ???

I dont kno any of those!! not even access!!

I dont even kno what the other 3 are,

but if I get a job after I pass, they teach me that stuff right??

coz Id basically just be a trainee right??

hell naw am I gonna learn that stuff on my free time...

but 5 tests in 3 years sounds beastly, I think a lot of ppl cant even do that

(I bet I could tho!)

I recommend speaking like an educated adult if you ever get to the interview process. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but all the "dis and dat yo" really gets on my nerves, and working in a professional environment I feel comfortable telling you that it's pretty unlikely that someone (especially a stuffy insurance company) is going to hire anybody that talks like that.

Unless you're going for MTV VJ, lose the junior-high slang for the interview.

[quote name='chosen1s']I recommend speaking like an educated adult if you ever get to the interview process. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but all the "dis and dat yo" really gets on my nerves, and working in a professional environment I feel comfortable telling you that it's pretty unlikely that someone (especially a stuffy insurance company) is going to hire anybody that talks like that.

Unless you're going for MTV VJ, lose the junior-high slang for the interview.[/quote]

Agreed. I would have never guessed that you have a college education if I were to judge just based on your posts on CAG...

[quote name='JEKKI']tomorrow is the moment of truth!!

Im nervous as hell.....

hopesfall>>> "math person"? haha, I got a bachelor degree in math!! last june!

Sarang01>>> health insurance isnt just making money off ppl getting sick,

it provides an option for you just if you want to get anything done.

in school we had to be insured either by them or someone else,

so since I had to have school health insurance I took advantage of it!!

everybody has their health concerns, no matter if you're sick or not.

I was trying to get a job as an analyst for life insurance tho, is that any better??

rsigley>> "SQL, PhP, ASP.NET, Microsoft Access" ???

I dont kno any of those!! not even access!!

I dont even kno what the other 3 are,

but if I get a job after I pass, they teach me that stuff right??

coz Id basically just be a trainee right??

hell naw am I gonna learn that stuff on my free time...

but 5 tests in 3 years sounds beastly, I think a lot of ppl cant even do that

(I bet I could tho!)[/QUOTE]

My preference is to Hollistics. I'm not completely discrediting the idea of using drugs but I know there are more natural cures than Big Pharma will let be known so they spread Propoganda in the Media that you must be a loon in going for ANY kind of natural cure except Aspirin which is complete and utter bullshit. I don't believe for one second 90-99% of natural cures are crap. Those cultures that used and still use that stuff for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, use most of it because it works. Unlike the rest of American culture I'll detach myself from the garbage and cut myself from the brainwashing, listening selectively and taking drugs the same way. If I get Cancer I'm never doing Chemo and instead going natural, minimal or a combination of the two. I say this because I'm not comfortable using a sledgehammer to swat a fly, not comfortable with FUBARing a portion of my genes just to get rid of something smaller. It's not worth me getting through Chemo to find I'm bald and fat because of the treatment which happened to a news correspondant. I'll take quality of life over quantity any day. Also I don't feel like rewarding someone who may have predisposed me towards this occurance or perhaps worse.
Soz this is why I'm so bitter about Health Insurance, a big part being what it's connected to and the fact they must almost always be in shenanigans because if it reaches a low enough line it endangers their profit margin.
I don't mind the idea of Life Insurance since I really feel it's up to that person. I mean granted they may want to hedge it and play safe but they can always invest wisely so any funeral expenses end up negligible and their family is taken care of regardless.

well i did 2 of the tests in college and have been doing 1 a year since

about th eprogramming languages, most of the jobs require you to have it as they don't teach you it. They're pretty simple to teach to yourself just buy a book or use w3schools

the languages are pretty similar just different syntax but they're all languages dealing with interacting with a databases. I don't know what kind of schooling you had, but if you did any math you must of taken some sort of logic course so it shouldn't be too hard to learn.

And what's this "free time" you speak of? While you study you should have none between working/studying. The good thing tho is most jobs give you 400 hours of paid study time per test which is nice of them. When I was first starting it was work 9-5, commute home, eat, study 8-11, sleep repeat

weekend study 6 hours a day

i have a lil free time now because i'm not planning on taking a test this year because i'm getting married, but now my wife will take all my free time instead

Not to rain on your parade there OP, but I highly doubt that anybody that would say "that shiz be hard yo..." would do very well in an actuarial position.

I've heard that the actuarial bar exam is even more difficult than that for a CPA or Lawyer. My buddy took two years off of work to devote to studying and only passed by about 3%. Now he has an internship that pays about $25k a year for two years until he can get fully certified. Its RIDICULOUSLY difficult to get into that line of work but highly lucrative if you can.

[quote name='hopesfall']Agreed. I would have never guessed that you have a college education if I were to judge just based on your posts on CAG...[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the kid in the avatar is typing...:whistle2:k

bread's done
Back