CAGcast #40: Happy CAGiversary!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
It's our 40th episode and 1 year anniversary!
Helping us celebrate, we are joined by special guest Christopher Grant, Managing Editor of Joystiq. Discussions include the death of E3, game journalism, industry news, Dead Rising and much more. We also answer your questions from the CAGbag, ride the Hype Wagon, and make Chris play "Joystiq or Kotaku".

Post in this thread to be entered in a drawing for a Joystiq t-shirt!

Download
- 78 minutes, 36MB
(If you haven't yet done so, PLEASE review us by clicking here!)
RSS feed
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagcast40.mp3[/media]

Linkage:
Intro music: Alpiner - TI-99/4A
Show Feedback
FlashStash
Dude you're bald ass ain't getting into E3 anymore...be prepared for the rejection. You need to look around a bit and do some research about who these shows will be run for...it's not you.
New releases
Joystiq or Kotaku
  1. Is the DS Lite a Good Thing?
  2. 29 no-nos for gamers over age 30
  3. Hey! Booth Babes are People Too
  4. The truth about gettin' down (or "couples multiplayer")
  5. Parent prefers kid dabbling in coke over playing video games
  6. Would you dump your wife for an online romance?
  7. Hello Kitty Kicks Arcade Ass
  8. Where Did All of the Good Game Mags Go?
  9. Reggie Fils-Aime vs. Chuck Norris
  10. Has Microsoft Japan Given Up?

Psychonauts and Other Cheap Deals at Amazon
I.Q. Mania (PSP-Asia) $20 shipped at Play-Asia
Ridge Racer 6 - First 360 Game to Hit $19.99

Activision paid nearly $100 million for RedOctane
Xbox modder on lockdown
40% of World of Warcraft players addicted

CAGbag
Outro: Power Pad
???

wombat, i think you have a point about no one finding out from capcom why they made the boneheaded save system, but the game just came out, and i dont think a review is the place to put the answer to a question like that. EGM does this afterthoughts article after a game has been out for a while where they ask questions like this. Another thing, some people JUST review games and don't write other articles. I wouldnt say all reviewers are journalists.

I like the Dead Rising save system. It makes the game hard, appreciaitng the concept of having one life (surviving).

ha ha ha, Angry Wombat (tm)!! That might be a good t-shirt that WhipSmartBanky can crank out.

The 3 man format wasn't too bad. Chris could've had a bit more airtime, but when Cheapy and Wombat start riffing, I imagine it's harder to cut in, at least if you're being conscious of that sort of thing.

Now I guess you have to have Brian Crecente in for a counterpoint?

CAGcast does seem to work a little better as a two man show, but I wouldn't mind seeing more special guests if there's some relevant topic involved. Huh, I wonder if Mrs. Cheapy would be able to support bringing in some of the Japanese gaming celebrities/developers in and assisting w/the translation? Or would that be a better videocast w/subtitles?

Where do you get all the game commercial sound bites?

Listening right now.

Good job on getting the artwork in there.

Angry Wombat is good. I look forward to seeing where this goes as I think you had a pretty good segment in this show. You might have to not stick to a weekly segment though, so that it is reserved for things that actually make Wombat angry.

I think Wombat is kinda wrong. While I agree that it would be interesting for a "game journalist" to ask the developers why X sucks, but that doesn't belong in a review. A review is just for reviewing, not writing in depth "Behind the Scenes" features. They should keep those separate.

Great show. Chris didn't get to talk as much as I would have liked. Maybe it would have been to dedicate a portion of the show for an interview and questions from CAGs. I also like how you danced around my more serious questions. I was really surprised that Chris took it to 11 against Kotaku. That question was a joke, but I'm satisfied with his response.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I think Wombat is kinda wrong. While I agree that it would be interesting for a "game journalist" to ask the developers why X sucks, but that doesn't belong in a review. A review is just for reviewing, not writing in depth "Behind the Scenes" features. They should keep those separate.[/QUOTE]

I never specified that it belongs in reviews(I don't think), my real argument is that if game journalists continue to refer to themselves as journalist, then I want to see some journalism. Give me the review with the complaints and then afew days or week later tell why it was released that way. I really don't think thats too much to ask from the mainstream videogame media.

Great show guys. Angry Wombat rules.
Special guest Chris was good.
I listened at work, but I don't remember hearing a Cheapy burp.
Was that the 1st burp free CAGcast ?

[quote name='Wombat']I never specified that it belongs in reviews(I don't think), my real argument is that if game journalists continue to refer to themselves as journalist, then I want to see some journalism. Give me the review with the complaints and then afew days or week later tell why it was released that way. I really don't think thats too much to ask from the mainstream videogame media.[/quote]

It's a great point, and I think most gamers would love to see developers in the hot seat, but you know it won't happen. If game journalists started pressing developers and publishers about the flaws in their games, they'll start losing those exclusive interviews, advertising and maybe interviews all together. It's the basic issue that all publications face, gaming or not. The fear of losing revenue reigns supreme.

Oh yeah, I like Angery Wombat as well. Can we get some theme music for it?

And congrats on losing weight! But remember, it's not losing it that's hard, it's keeping it off that's the challenge!

Good show, boys. Seems like if you get any more than 2 people on the air, it's tough to avoid talking over each other when you're all remote, though (at least I believe he said he was in Philly).

Nice having Chris from Joystiq on the show. I loved hearing his input.

Once again, a great, entertaining show and congrats on 1 year. I'm looking forward to another great year of CAGcast.

Thus ends the post for my chance at the free T-Shirt. Wee! (errr, Wii!)

And how the Chu interview w/ Peter Moore was mentioned, and Chu was complaining about kameo sucking, he needs to stop being a Sony fanboy, Kameo is one of the best 360 games

don't know if this should be mentioned here but dead rising save system is ok

I mean the fact it's beds and bathrooms...do you pee and sleep wherever you want?

Yeah it's a cheap attempt to make the game harder, but hey it's fine with me.

but yeah it is annoying that there's always zombies congregating by doors in the outdoor park.

Psychonauts PS2 is a lot weaker than the xbox version (in fact the only reason it's still in the collection is because tim schafer signed it)

[quote name='radjago']Is that online game with upgradeable ships Subspace perhaps?[/quote]haha no...we are talking OLD school here....ascii graphics at best. Though, I have played Subspace and it is fun.

EDIT: I think i found it...it was called MegaWars

Well nice to have been listening to these things for a year. Thanks for making these things my only source for gaming news and reviews.

I thought this was one of the most professional ones done and Wombat and his rant was good. Also thanks for another ODB soundbite.

Congratulations on making it to 1 year.

I'm actually kind of suprised that this show hasn't slided like others to a monthly or even bi-weekly show for some odd reason or another, it seems to always happen.

Anyway, good show.

Needs more Angry Wombat!
angrywombat.jpg

I am fairly new to the CAGcasts, as I just never got into listening to them up until recently. Todays CAGcast is my third and I have to say I have been enjoying what I am hearing. Keep up the good work guys. Nothing I can complain about here..oh and I think Angry Wombat was good as well. I agree that the people that had a hand in creating a game should be held accountable for crappy things found in said game. Even if the answer is not given right away, perhaps at some point they can explain their reasoning for doing what they did.

The only thing I didn't like about the CAGcast (Which is not normal) is that when you guys were talking about how terrible the save system for Dead Rising is and stuff, but you never mentioned what it is. I don't have a 360 yet and I'm sure there's lots of others who don't either and have not read much if anything at all about the game. I don't know anything about the save system and since you guys talked about it for a few minutes it would've been helpful if you could've explained how it worked. Other than that keep up the good work.

Good show, sirs. I think the angry wombat segment was pretty interesting and would like to hear it again in the near future.

Also, Wombat's gripe with Video Game Journalists seems apt. It would appear that most of what is going on in VG journalism is composed of bland reviews, snarky comments, or pointless stuff. And while Chris is right that there is a place for these sorts of news outlet the fact remains that there is no real investigative journalism for video games at the moment. Nobody is really going out there and asking the hard questions, digging deep, and uncovering the vital truth that must exist beneath that layer of PR hype, misdirection, and ambiguity. Someone needs to make the calls, set up the interviews, ask the hard questions. Gamers complaining about a faulty save system? What lead to such a decision? Find the developer and ask about them.

Go, Wombat, go!

great show as always. Good to see a guest on the show. Does joystick have podcasts, if so will you be making an appearance? The shows negativity about pac man was disturbing. The poll has it at 39.6% on cag. I would imagine they would be happy with a 40% buy rate. The angry wombat segment was very good. While listening to other podcasts by some of these alleged gaming journalists, I find it funny that they think E3 is for them. Wasn't it started as a trade show. Where a walmart/best buy buyer would walk into a booth, see the new product and place orders. When did it become about journalist covering shit. These journalist are also taking shots at smaller sites/blogs (kotaku/joystick) about how these hack sites won't be allowed to the shows, which would allow 1up/egm to do there job.

Feedback on the latest 'Cast:

- Loved the Angry Wombat™ segment. I also noticed Cheapy was a lot more lenient with Wombat's humor this time.

- The Joystiq guy was pretty boring, and he sounded like a nerd. It seems he didn't add very much to the show.

- The CAGbag, as popular as it is, needs to be restrained. A 30-minute CAGbag is way too long. It should be 15 minutes, tops.

- I like the resurrection of the Hype Wagon. It's one of my favorite segments.

- Where was the Deal/Game Shopping news?
EDIT: Sorry...I missed it. I see it on the outline. I must have not been very attentive during that part.

Other than that, another great show. Much needed listening enjoyment on the long drive to work (and in this case, on the way home too). WOO!

I don't think the save system on Dead Rising is a problem. Plenty of games had this sort of arrangement in the past because reaching the save point was intended to mark an achievement.

Too many games made it too easy by letting you go directly to a problem area over and over again. Sure, it can be frustrating if a severely difficult challenge comes at the end of a long arduous gauntlet but that is a question of design balance. Even in a hadheld game I don't want a save anywhere and anywhen for most games.

Whats the deal with the time limit? I'd gladly listen to you guys ramble on for 6 hours, makes the time pass at work.

Anyways, another good show.

I don't think Wii fans like the Wii because Nintendo is shirking high quality graphics as the Joystiq guy said. That's not quite right. It's more about being attracted to the new experience with the controller and that this 'graphical salary cap' Nintendo is installing will put more focus on what makes games games - interactivity.

Yeah like Wombat said you want the best of everything (who doesn't?,) but games aren't made on infinite budgets. The more money you spend on sweat beads and photo-realism, the less you have for other aspects of the game such as the gameplay.

And just as Wombat said about the DS graphics I will say about Wii graphics - Wii graphics aren't going backwards. The Wii will be Nintendo's most powerful console ever. The games will look pretty good.

I bought Fight Night 2 on the 'Cube and I mostly found myself playing the Super Punchout bonus game. It's more fun imo than the main game. Yeah FN2 is more realistic and looks more realistic, but I'd argue that doesn't spell fun. And that sums up the Wii.

Long, awkward and boring. :(

Perhaps a ten minute interview segment would of been better.

As for Wombat's rant about video game journalists, you got a semi point. True it would be interesting to find why this save feature you hate was made but it's often a super kamaya bitch to get a real answer. On a side note the producer of Dead Rising was doing a signing in Seattle this week, so even Joe Q public could of asked, if they heard about the problem before the game's release.

And for the love of God leave the Lord of the Rings pre-order out of the future cagcasts!

bread's done
Back