Yoshi's Island 2 - 82%

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
UPDATE: All Reviews

yoshis_island_2_boxart.jpg

[quote name='Kotaku'][size=+2]Yoshi's Island 2 Now With Wario, Wi-Fi, Wet Bottoms[/size]

Actually that last part is me, because I just wet myself thinking about playing some baby Wario! That mega-adorable cover art you see above this post not only makes me thirsty for some breast milk, it gets me equally pumped for some baby Wario and baby Bowser action... on the internet! I could stand to have a little less upturned infant and dragon ass shoved in our faces, but I'm probably asking too much.

Yep, previously unannounced online features and the inclusion of two unannounced characters are absolutely newsworthy, in my opinion. I'm no Yoshi fan, but Nintendo 2D platforming makes me all giddy inside.

Oh, yeah. Sorry 'bout that breast milk comment. Michael McWhertor[/quote]

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/yoshis-island-2-now-with-wario-wifi-wet-bottoms-193833.php

I don't care even the slightest bit about Wi-Fi... I just hope this turns out as well as the first game did. This game has a lot of potential so hopefully Nintendo'll deliver.

It's a game ten years in the making, they better not fuck up.

At E3 they said DK, Mario, and Princess were in it. Now there is Wario (I love Wario) and Bowser.

There's no way this game could ever top the original. It's impossible since there is no room for improvement. Lets just hope they don't make another Yoshi's Story...

Yoshi's story is good. Not better than Yoshi's Island, but good. It feels like a kiddie game but it is challenging for adults to get all the melons and see everything in it.

I want to know if YI2 will have Baby Luigi (and maybe Baby Waluigi). Perhaps they are unlockable/playable after you beat the game like NSMB.

ya that would be sweeeet if they had all those little minigames to get items from the original yoshi's island plus brand new ones from yoshi's island 2 as a wifi mode... ya know those minigames where you toss the balloon, shoot watermelon seeds, etc... that would be an awesome wifi mode......

[quote name='Vegan']It's being developed by these people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artoon

but supervised by this man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Tezuka[/QUOTE]

It looks like everything Artoon has made has been crap, but everything Takashi Tezuka has worked on has been great. I don't know what to expect now.

In my opinion, Yoshi's Island is the best 2D game ever made and I don't expect it to ever be dethroned, hopefully this game at least captures some of the magic of the original.

[quote name='gizmogc']...and its awesome! I got this a week early...and wow! Better then the SNES version![/QUOTE]

You, sir, suck! :lol:

So, what exactly is the Wi-Fi aspect of this game? I have to admit, I missed this thread when it originally popped up and I had no idea this game would have a Wi-Fi component.

[quote name='gizmogc']...and its awesome! I got this a week early...and wow! Better then the SNES version![/QUOTE]

Is that even possible?

Son of a bitch. I cannot believe Artoon of all people could dethrone such a beauty.

Well I got this last night.
I had a chance to play it for an hour today and I got to say. Holy hell!
Yoshi's Island back on SN or was that N64? Was one of my fave games. Hell its still the only game my Mother-in-law plays. Well this game is every bit its doppelganger, which I count as a very good thing. I got to 1-3 in my play time with it and I really could not get enough. The whole two screen thing adds more depth to the game and in a way I like how like New Super Mario Bros it does not use the stylus. I was going from the top screen to the bottom and back up again with ease. From my hour of play I would give it a 9/10 and I am sure with more play time it would become a 10/10.
Its the first worthwhile Yoshi game since the first Yoshi's Island.

Oh and if you didnt know you can be one of several babies in this one. Woohoo

When I got NSMB for DS I sat down and played it everyday neglecting all other games till I beat it. Then went back for stars and areas I had forgot. With GOW and FFXII out this is not quite that type of game for me but very close. My lunch breaks are now spoken for. hehe

I have little doubt this will top the original. I, too, believe it to be the pinnacle of 2D platforming.

Will it be good, though? Maybe. I think part of what made Yoshi's Island so great was that it was just so imaginative and different from everything else out there, and unfortunately, I fear this game seems to have missed that and will be TOO similar to the original.

Been playing this on and off for the last few days, and so far, I am enjoying this just as much as the first game. Good job, Nintendo.

Well...shit. I haven't liked any of these "sequels" Nintendo has been pumping out on the DS lately, but it looks like Yoshi's Island 2 may buck that trend.

I can only hope.

I actually liked Artoon's Blinx games, but after the travesty that was Yoshi's Tilt and Tumble, I was kinda concerned about how this portable game would turn out. I'm really glad impressions have been positive so far.

[quote name='Roufuss']I just pray this game has some semblance of difficulty.[/quote]I agree. The original Yoshi's Island was so "kiddy" on the outside, but the game, especially at the end or going for 100% was tough as nails.

[quote name='daroga']I agree. The original Yoshi's Island was so "kiddy" on the outside, but the game, especially at the end or going for 100% was tough as nails.[/QUOTE]

Yep... the game got hard at the end, and going for 100% really pushed it towards greatness.

I'm worried Nintendo is going to pull a Yoshi's Story on this one and just make the thing piss easy.

I would also like for the game to be challenging. YI was one of the few games I pride myself on getting 100% on, and I hope this one spurs me to do the same.

GameDaily gave this a 9... here are some high points about the game or some things I didn't know until I read the review.

* The game follows the formula of the first game... 5 levels, 8 stages each, mid boss after stage 4, boss after stage 8.

* The babies on the back grant yoshi's different abilities and the eggs also gain different attributes.

* Gorgeous 2-D graphics, makes good use of two screens

Here is the most important part for some of us, and guarantees that I will get the game tommorrow:

Yoshi's Island DS bursts with variety, keeping things fresh while the game progresses. The difficulty also helps the game's replay ability, as the levels are peppered with red coins, special flowers, huge character coins, and jumping stars that are a collector's dream come true. Even after finishing the levels, the draw to getting all those red coins or flowers proves great, especially when accomplishing these goals unlocks bonus levels.

YES!!!!

Here is something even more awesome:

Instead of going overboard with the new features, Yoshi's Island DS sticks to its roots, never forgetting what made the original such a beloved classic. The game's beautiful visual style is complimented by the personality of the characters, and both combine to form a wonderful adventure that can be enjoyed by any Mario fan.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm super pumped, they made not only a great sequel but still kept in the collecting AND the difficulty!

Full review:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=741458

And here is the EGM review... the two guys who gave it 6's bitch that it's too hard and too similar to the original, and they didn't like the baby swapping mechanic. The one guy who gave it an 8 seems to feel how the GameDaily guy did.

The only valid point is the dead zone in the middle. I mean, I like how the one reviewer bitches that the kids weren't even considered. Screw them, I'm glad we're actually getting a CHALLENGING Nintendo platformer!

Yoshi's Island DS:

Jeremy: I had high hopes for Yoshi's Island DS because (and this is an objective scientific fact) the Super Nintendo original was one of the best platformers - nay, games - ever made. Alas, this sequel doesn't quite pass muster. Developer Artoon captured the original's look and feel but scrimped on the creativity and polish.

Besides the baby-swapping mechanic (each Yoshi-riding tot has his or her own abilities), this sequel rarely does anything that wasn't in the original. Worse, some new elements (rare as they are) nearly break the game, particularly the use of the dual screens. It's cool that the gameplay takes place across both screens, but the physical gap between them is matched by 100 pixels or so of dead space smack in the center of the play area. The resulting "hidden" hazards turn vertical and autoscrolling sections into nightmarish chores. Yoshi's Island deserves an amazing sequel, but you'll only be amazed by how stagnant and sloppy this game feels.

Shane: Whaa, whaa, whaa...you guys whine as much as Baby Mario and Co. Not only does Yoshi's Island DS successfully mimic the revered Super NES original, but it also manages to evolve the formula with its doubly tall stages, baby-switching mechanic, and creative boss encounters. Yeah, the level design becomes ridiculously brutal by the endgame (and that mysterious dead zone between screens causes plenty of headaches), but the game's tight control means that every time you die, it's your own damn fault.

G. Ford: Well, yes, Shane. I suppose it's technically my fault that I didn't manage to land on the tiny, icy platform guarded not only by a feisty penguin, but a ginormous, bulbous bouncing creature who conveniently tumbled my way at just the right moment, as well. But you can't tell me you nailed that leap on your first try? Or 15th?

Sadistic late-level design aside (seriously, were the young'uns even considered here?), that baby-swapping action developed into a headache. Often, I realized I had to use the vine-swinging Baby DK instead of high-jumping Baby Peach only after I had passed a switching station a while back.

It's an adequate platformer (trust Jeremy's voice of reason, not Shane), yes - with solid controls and great first-half pacing - but I'd never choose this over the sublime original.

The Verdicts (Out of 10)

Jeremy: 6.5

Shane: 8.0

G. Ford: 6.0

The Good: The same charming graphics and gameplay

The Bad: The gap between the screens? WTF?

Shut Up: Five babies, five uniquely annoying screams

I'm getting this regardless, but the high difficulty is a turn-off for me. And yes, for my kids who would otherwise want to play. The perfect DS platform game should be fairly easy to get through the main game, perhaps with a few challenging boss fights. THEN, it should have pain-in-the-ass difficulty for reaching collectables and unlocking bonus levels. What I don't like about what I'm hearing here is the main game sounds like it gets too hard.

I thought Super Princess Peach was the perfect difficulty for the main game - fairly easy levels with some slightly challenging bosses. But then it never got really hard for the optional stuff either - so overall it was a bit too easy. I just recently finished the main part of NSMB and have no idea how to get to some of the coins. While parts of the main game were fairly hard (my kids wouldn't be able to get through them) it wasn't too bad and it nailed the "moderate main game/hard extras" formula pretty well. What I'm trying to say is game makers can think of the kids and yet deliver a hard-core experience for you 20-somethings as well :D

Oh well, hopefully Yoshi's Island DS isn't quite as harsh as these guys claim. I'll see for myself soon enough (though probably not till Friday because of stupid Gamerush).

[quote name='io']I'm getting this regardless, but the high difficulty is a turn-off for me. And yes, for my kids who would otherwise want to play. The perfect DS platform game should be fairly easy to get through the main game, perhaps with a few challenging boss fights. THEN, it should have pain-in-the-ass difficulty for reaching collectables and unlocking bonus levels. What I don't like about what I'm hearing here is the main game sounds like it gets too hard.

I thought Super Princess Peach was the perfect difficulty for the main game - fairly easy levels with some slightly challenging bosses. But then it never got really hard for the optional stuff either - so overall it was a bit too easy. I just recently finished the main part of NSMB and have no idea how to get to some of the coins. While parts of the main game were fairly hard (my kids wouldn't be able to get through them) it wasn't too bad and it nailed the "moderate main game/hard extras" formula pretty well. What I'm trying to say is game makers can think of the kids and yet deliver a hard-core experience for you 20-somethings as well :D

Oh well, hopefully Yoshi's Island DS isn't quite as harsh as these guys claim. I'll see for myself soon enough (though probably not till Friday because of stupid Gamerush).[/QUOTE]

Yoshi's Island (the original) was designed at a time when mostly kids were the target audience for systems and games, and that game was still hard at the end and provided a good challenge. Most of us were kids when we played it and alot of us managed to get through the game ok.

I for one am glad they didn't dumb the difficulty... games these days are too watered down so when a difficult game does come out nobody knows what the hell to do. Why do game makers have to think of the kids anyways? Because it's on a handheld and it's a Nintendo property? I'm glad Artoon threw the (now) older games a bone by sticking with a classic formula and giving us difficulty and replay value so the game isn't beatable in a day. The difficulty increases as you go along anyways, like any good platformer SHOULD do.

I mean, what did those same kids do when Yoshi's Island was released on the GBA? That game wasn't watered down at all. I'm just glad we get an experience that is worthy of the original and not the crap that was Yoshi's Story for N64 which WAS made for kids and was entirely too easy.

I just don't like the notion that since the game is on the DS it needs to be dumbed down just because kids might play it... let the kids play it difficulty intact, nobody held my hand during the NES / SNES games when games were much MUCH harder then they were now.

Hearing that this game is challenging and has replayability means I will purchase it as soon as Best Buy gets it in tommorrow, instead of wating for a clearance months down the line. The original Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite games and I'm glad they stuck to the formula, difficulty and all.

IGN gave it a 8.0.. the general tone of the review is that it's too similar to Yoshi's Island.

How that can EVER be considered a bad point is beyond me.

Lasting Appeal
Yoshi's Island DS is a suprisingly beefy platformer with hours upon hours of challenging gameplay. It's all single player, but you'll be surprised at how long this'll take you to complete.

I can't freaking wait... I'm saddened that this is going to get overshadowed by the Wii and PS3 coming out later in the week.

I have the original and enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I still have a fair amount left (hard to remember exactly where I left off). Sadly, I won't be buying it tomorrow though because then I'll undoubtedly not do my homework or study for my night class test that I have Thursday night. Man, the original was so damned addictive.

I imagine it'll be available in mass quantities, so I'll get it at the end of this week at Best Buy with the $5 off Gamer Gift Card coupon.

-HM

[quote name='Roufuss']IGN has the written review up, I just read it all and even quoted from it.[/QUOTE]

I was on the main page for the game and it wasn't listed there. Saw the review though... they're still stupid.

I'm glad it's hard. I like my games to challenge me from beginning to end. I'm not talking try something 15 times in a row but I like having to figure out puzzles, jump patterns, and whatnot.

Having played practically every DS game on the system worth playing (this puts me at 80 for my collection) this might be one of the three best DS games ever. As of right now, it's above NSMB and Sonic Rush.

yeah just picked up the cc version with the yoshi sleeve and it's definately worth the 30 dollars, now to get used to this game again! (been close to 5-7 years since i played the first one)

[quote name='furyk']Having played practically every DS game on the system worth playing (this puts me at 80 for my collection) this might be one of the three best DS games ever. As of right now, it's above NSMB and Sonic Rush.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's on NSBs level, but I'm not too sure that it tops Sonic Rush.

Regardless, it's an awesome game that makes me think that maybe Blinx 1 & 2 should have been sidescrollers :lol:

The fact that it's challenging puts it in a league far far above NSMB for me.

I finished NSMB with 100% in two days of semi casual play, I'm pretty certain that won't happen with Yoshi's Island 2.

bread's done
Back