Do milkshakes give you a stomach ache?

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Everytime I drink a milkshake, it seems to cause a miniature apocalypse in my stomach. Chocolate or vanilla, it doesn't matter. So it got me wondering if I was lactose-intolerant. I don't really have a problem drinking milk or eating cheese, so it could only be large amounts of milk sugar doing this.

[quote name='rabbitt']Everytime I drink a milkshake, it seems to cause a miniature apocalypse in my stomach. Chocolate or vanilla, it doesn't matter. So it got me wondering if I was lactose-intolerant. I don't really have a problem drinking milk or eating cheese, so it could only be large amounts of milk sugar doing this.[/QUOTE]

I have this problem too with milk based products...ice cream, milk, cheese, alfrado sauce :( Now if you can wait another 48 hrs or so, I am going to actually get tested for diffrent alergies and see if im lactose-intolerant.. I have tried lactose free milk but it taste kinda thick :( yuck...like spit. :( Once I get the results of this, I will defentifly PM you or post here and yet you know...you then might want to get tested yourself. Im mostly alergic to dust, pollen, and I do have ashma but its under control.

[quote name='pdat2003']Lactose intolerant?[/quote]

Lactose is a sugar prevalent in milk and dairy products. Lactase is an enzyme the body produces in order to digest lactose properly. However once human beings pass out of infancy then the body's lactase production drops dramatically. Dairy products become difficult to digest as a result.
Lactose intolerance is a severe case of this. The ingestion of dairy products often results in stomach aches, excess gas production and diarrhea in people who suffer from lactose intolerance.:bomb:

mr_smiley + sugar = pukefest:drool:

i dont like to eat/drink anything too sweet, that means ice cream and chocolate bars. i can drink milk as long as its plain

[quote name='javeryh']I thought milkshakes brought boys to the yard or something...[/quote]

From what I've heard, it's actually better than yours.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I have tried lactose free milk but it taste kinda thick :( yuck...like spit. :( [/quote]

Its all about vanilla Soy Milk... or so I say... I have began to enjoy it... IM A LACTOSE FREE CAG!

Thanks for the responses. My girlfriend has the same dilemma, and she just recently brought it to my attention that it could be a problem with my stomach. I had just assumed milkshakes were supposed to mess up your stomach for awhile :)

I wonder if not drinking milk is bad for our bones....... they said calcium is needed for bones (hence drink more milk).. yet i drink milk once a month vs having milk based products more. I wish there was a solution for this (a pill or other wise) because it would be nice to have a glass of milk every day or have cereal and not have to take a shit like an hour later :( the runs not good for the hemroids :(

[quote name='Moxio']Milkshakes are awesome.[/QUOTE]

yea not unless your one of those few million of us who have the runs after it :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wonder if not drinking milk is bad for our bones....... they said calcium is needed for bones (hence drink more milk).. yet i drink milk once a month vs having milk based products more. I wish there was a solution for this (a pill or other wise) because it would be nice to have a glass of milk every day or have cereal and not have to take a shit like an hour later :( the runs not good for the hemroids :([/QUOTE]

Just eat more Broccoli if Milk is such a problem. Personally in some ways I think it's utterly disgusting we're drinking a substance that is meant to nourish another species.

I noticed too that I have trouble with regular ice cream. For some reason, my allergies become worse when I consume too much dairy. I dont have this problem with tofu-ice cream though....

[quote name='Sarang01']Just eat more Broccoli if Milk is such a problem. Personally in some ways I think it's utterly disgusting we're drinking a substance that is meant to nourish another species.[/QUOTE]

no offense, but have you ever been breast fed by your mother?

Dude, just take some Lactaid or it's generic equivilent 'Lactase Enzyme' before you have some dairy (preferably a good 15-30 minutes prior). After that you're good to go.

[quote name='ITDEFX']yea not unless your one of those few million of us who have the runs after it :([/quote]

But that could be a benefit in disguise. If you're in a job that has no qualms about bathroom time you can almost precisely time when you should drink a milkshake and when the aftereffects give you an assured 15 to 20 minute bathroom break that you can use to catch up on reading or sleeping!

...what?

[quote name='ITDEFX']no offense, but have you ever been breast fed by your mother?[/QUOTE]

Note I included the word species, I was NOT in any way referring to being disgusted by human breast feeding. In fact I'm a big proponent for breast feeding and am angered by the females that don't want to make much effort and just put the kid on the bottle.
Xevious do you know of the Tofu Dessert that's like Silken Tofu just flavored? I'm talking about it having flavors like Lychee and Tangerine with the texture like Custard.

I think the problem is either lactose intolerance, or the place your going isn't using real ice cream and milk. It could just be milk with a thickening powder.

[quote name='javeryh']I thought milkshakes brought boys to the yard or something...[/quote]

Shit. You stole my generic and probably already posted after your post idea for a post.

Before I say anything, I'm going to vote for another Sprout-free period.
Now that that is over...

[quote name='mr ryles']I actually had a choclate shake from burger king about an hour ago, I gobbled it down. And my tummy doesn't hurt either![/QUOTE]
You know Wendy's has vanilla frostys now? They let you get crushed up butter fingers and shit too. Apparently they are awesome because the past 3 times i've hung out with a one of my friends, his g/f has onne with her.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I'm not lactose intolerant yet but I am at the point where I wouldn't want a lactose marrying into my family.

It gets worse with age. I haven't been a breakfast cereal eater since I was a kid. I just eat it straight as a snack. So I didn't notice the change happening within me until one day at the supermarket I got a whim for chocolate milk and bought a quart carton. That made me so gassy for the rest of day I could practically levitate. There wasn't any pain but I'd never have any more unless I sure of being home alone for many hours to follow.

[quote name='Eviltude']Before I say anything, I'm going to vote for another Sprout-free period.
Now that that is over...

You know Wendy's has vanilla frostys now? They let you get crushed up butter fingers and shit too. Apparently they are awesome because the past 3 times i've hung out with a one of my friends, his g/f has onne with her.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember back in the days when we called that a Blizzard. Chuckle.

I miss the Blizzard's with Nerds.

[quote name='Graystone']I think the problem is either lactose intolerance, or the place your going isn't using real ice cream and milk. It could just be milk with a thickening powder.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, it doesn't matter where I go. There are 3 ice cream stands around my house, and all of their milkshakes rip a damn portal in my tummy.

[quote name='Sarang01']Yeah I remember back in the days when we called that a Blizzard. Chuckle.

I miss the Blizzard's with Nerds.[/quote]

Blizzards are awesome. I think those are Diary Queen creations though... and not really a milkshare. Just some soft ice cream blended with candy... mmm... Heath Bar Blizzard... holy shit those are good. :drool: :drool: :drool:

It's been a while though so I might be talking out of my ass...

My Stomach is made of steel. I just had a protein bar and a nutrition shake which are heavy on both dairy ingredients AND sugar alcohols. No problems.

And for the record, Blizzards are fucking GREAT.

[quote name='Sarang01']
Xevious do you know of the Tofu Dessert that's like Silken Tofu just flavored? I'm talking about it having flavors like Lychee and Tangerine with the texture like Custard.[/quote]

I haven't heard of that but I'll be on the lookout for it.

Actually I was shocked how good the Tofu Ice cream sandwiches tasted. They taste like the real thing. I'm open to try anything tofu now...

It's the start of being lactose intolerant. Before I eat a milkshake or ice cream anymore I take a lactose helping pill (don't have them with me at the moment- bought them at costco.) They allow you to eat whatever you want (dairy products) but since they are expensive- you may decide to just give up on food that you like instead of buying the pills.

[quote name='ITDEFX']yea not unless your one of those few million of us who have the runs after it :([/QUOTE]

Few million? Really? Wow.

Then again, I never seem to get the runs.

[quote name='Moxio']Few million? Really? Wow.

Then again, I never seem to get the runs.[/QUOTE]

Now with my grey hair thread, is the lactos this genetic or what? I never had this problem when I was a kid..but as an adult it sucks.

i really would like to know what the hell is happening in my stomach when milk based foods/drinks enter my stomach. Must be a hell of a battle of good vs evil and the loser gets shitted out of my butt.

My pokemon cards brings all the nerds to the yard,
and they're like,
you wanna trade cards
damn right i wanna trade cards
ill trade my pikachu ,
but not my charizard.

[quote name='ITDEFX']i really would like to know what the hell is happening in my stomach when milk based foods/drinks enter my stomach. Must be a hell of a battle of good vs evil and the loser gets shitted out of my butt.[/QUOTE]

Lactose intolerant?

[quote name='Roufuss']Lactose intolerant?[/QUOTE]

Magic 8-ball says:

The normal mammalian condition is for the young of a species to lose the ability to digest milk sugar (lactose) effectively after the end of the weaning period (a species-specific length of time often equal to roughly 3% of lifespan). In humans, lactase production usually drops about 90% during the first four years of life, although the exact drop over time varies widely. However, certain human populations have undergone a mutation on chromosome 2 which results in a bypass of the common shutdown in lactase production, allowing members of these populations to continue consumption of fresh milk and other milk products throughout their lives.

There is some debate on exactly where and when the mutation(s) occurred, some arguing for separate mutation events in Sweden (which has one of the lowest levels of lactose intolerance in the world) and the Arabian Peninsula near 4000 BC which converged as they spread, while others argue for a single event in the Middle East at about 4500 BC which radiated from there. Some sources suggest a third and more recent mutation in the East African Tutsi. Whatever the precise origin in time and place, most modern Western Europeans and people of Western European ancestry show the effects of this mutation (that is, they are able to safely consume milk products all their lives) while most modern East Asians, sub-Saharan Africans and native peoples of the Americas and Pacific Islands do not (making them lactose intolerant as adults)

more

It's really lactose tolerance that's strange.

Alternatively, knowing I can consume something that'll have me farting like a hurricane is useful if there is someone I need to annoy. Another item that does the trick is sorbitol sweetened candies promoted to diabetics and dieters. I tried some many years ago and soon felt like I was one of the rotten kids touring Willy Wonka's factory.

bread's done
Back