Dell notebook battery recall

woobacca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Run a google search on "dell battery recall", and you'll find a couple of news articles on Dell's annoucement today.

This site seems to have the most information so far.

Dell Announces Battery Recall; Instructions on Company's Web Site Tuesday at 1 A.M. Central Daylight Time

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies worldwide, Dell is today announcing the voluntary recall of approximately 4.1 million Dell-branded lithium-ion batteries with cells manufactured by Sony. Under rare conditions, it is possible for these batteries to overheat, which could cause a risk of fire.

The recalled batteries were sold with the following Dell notebook computers: Dell Latitude(TM) D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610,D620, D800, D810; Inspiron(TM) 6000, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 500m, 510m, 600m, 6400, E1505, 700m, 710m, 9400, E1705; and DellPrecision(TM) M20, M60, M70 and M90 mobile workstations; and XPS(TM), XPS Gen2, XPS M170 and XPS M1710. The batteries were also sold separately, including in response to service calls. "Dell" and one of the following are printed on the batteries: "Made in Japan" or "Made in China" or "Battery Cell Made in Japan Assembled in China." The identification number for each battery appears on a white sticker. Customers should have this number available when they contact Dell to determine if their battery is part of the recall.

Customers should contact Dell to determine if their notebook computer battery is part of this recall. Please visit the firm's Website at www.dellbatteryprogram.com beginning at 1 a.m. Central Daylight Time Aug. 15 or call toll-free at 1-866-342-0011, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time. Customers may continue to use the notebook computers safely by turning the system off, ejecting the battery, and using the AC adapter and power cord to power the system until the replacement battery is received. Customers can also write to: Dell Inc., Attn: Battery Recall, 9701 Metric Blvd., Austin, Texas 78758.
I bought an Inspiron back in Dec '04, so I guess I'll be checking out Dell's website tomorrow morning.

Checked my laptop, and I'm good. It does make me wonder what other companies have used these Sony batteries and will also have to issue their respective recalls.

My battery is one being recalled. I filled the form out online last night and my new battery should be here soon, hopefully before school starts next week. I'm glad that a new battery is on its way to my house since my original one is shot and only last 30 minutes. Yay for recalls!

cool i got a new one, do you think this could've messed my notebook up the screen's been going black lately and i have to restart it to get it back up, the battery life will flash red sometimes or the black screen will come back if i plug or unplug the power cord...I hate Dell...

[quote name='joey12169']cool i got a new one, do you think this could've messed my notebook up the screen's been going black lately and i have to restart it to get it back up, the battery life will flash red sometimes or the black screen will come back if i plug or unplug the power cord...I hate Dell...[/QUOTE]
If your battery light was flashing red, then you may have a bad battery. Also I think there was a black screen issue while running on battery with the D600 a while back. I believe the fix was to update to the latest video drivers. You can find the latest ones for your laptop on Dell's site.

Seems like they are moving pretty fast on this battery recall, I ordered a new one on 8/15 and received it on 8/18.

It appears that Apple is recalling batteries for certain ibooks and powerbooks. It also seems that root of all of this is from batteries made by Sony.

My ibook has the right model number, but serial doesn't match up. I'll call CS later.

bread's done
Back