- - - - -

Anchor Bay Box Sets Buy 1 Get 1 Free @ DeepDiscountDVD.com

#31 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15862 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:44 AM

I'm highly tempted to purchase the Highlander Series but it might be too rich for my blood. If anyone can recommend which are the best seasons, I would appreciate it. I guess I'm looking for reviews of each season.

Get them all.

#32 greysector   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   186 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

greysector

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:01 AM

hmmm 21 jump street for $9 a piece is good deal thanx 6669

I reccomend The Greatest American Hero. The second season has a musical box that plays a part of the songggggg I luvv that show

I love this show too, but they are going to be releasing an uber box pretty soon.

http://www.tvshowson...?ReleaseID=6037

#33 chosen1s   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1810 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:13 AM

New to DDD question - Can someone comment on how long it generally takes for the "free USPS" shipping to be delivered?

#34 Prock   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   827 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:41 AM

New to DDD question - Can someone comment on how long it generally takes for the "free USPS" shipping to be delivered?

Last time i ordered from them it took about a week and a half to get the dvd.

#35 Leggo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   333 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:53 AM

crap, I wanted to hold onto those 235 dollars! :( Now all I have to show for it is the complete Highlander, Hercules, and Xena sets.

Damn you OP!

#36 Leggo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   333 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:54 AM

Last time i ordered from them it took about a week and a half to get the dvd.

Presumably that was during the biannual sale? That's the busiest time of the year for them. Normally it takes them like 3-4 days max for stuff that's in stock, for me anyway.

#37 doctorfaustus   Booknerd CAGiversary!   2029 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

doctorfaustus

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:15 AM

Damn, I really want the Dawn of the Dead set but can't find anything to go with it. Does anyone know anything about the movies offered in Fright Pack- Walking Dead ?

#38 Ecofreak   That's Ah Bingo!!! CAGiversary!   4109 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

I am so tempted to pick up those two seasons of Ghost in the Shell...

#39 thomkai   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   11 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

My g/f is gonna kill me! I've spent easily $300 this month on dvd's!
Picked up:
MACROSS PLUS (2D)
Grounded for Life seasons 1 & 2
Ghost in the Shell
Third Rock Seasons 2 & 3
Titus 1/2 and 3 Seasons
All in all, about $10 a set, not bad at all I think! Hope I can pay off my damn credit card now, c'mon Friday! Bring me mah check!

#40 Sporadic   done with this site CAGiversary!   9499 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

Titus the complete series for $17.99?!?!

SOLD!

- edit And Grounded For Life 1-3 for $35.98

#41 mrblau   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   63 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

thinking about the 2 titus dvds for 17.99
and astro boy collection box set and sleepaway camp survival kit for 23.99

the only one i'm not sure of is sleepaway camp

and thought on it?

#42 dagos2727   CAGalicious! CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

the only one i'm not sure of is sleepaway camp

and thought on it?

Sooo good. A really, really great low budget horror movie that spawned 2 even more lower budget sequels. There is a tremendous cult following of them. Part 1 was great, and 2 & 3 were good for what they are worth. I bought the set on Day 1 and dont regret it a bit. A definite purchase.

#43 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15862 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

All my stuff shipped, except Xena Season 2. Yay

#44 Xeno G   Stubborn Monkey CAGiversary!   315 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

Holy crap, I could easily drop $400 on this deal!

But I've only got about $40 to spend :cry:

#45 will_butler   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   27 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

will_butler

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

Herzog's a stone cold fucking GENIUS. Unfortunately, I've read that these sets have poor DVD production, and I know for a fact that they have awful subtitles. I've seen most of my Herzog through Netflix.

I've seen four of them - Kaspar Hauser, Stroszek, Lessons of Darkness, and Heart of Glass. All spectacular.

Awesome. When I'm finally done watching the filmographies of Akira Kurosawa and Hal Hartley, I'll start on Herzog. I might just use Netflix, though. Much appreciated.

Will

#46 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

I got all 6 seasons of highlander... I knew there was a reason I didn't buy the package from www.legendaryheroes.com .

DVDtalk has reviews of the individual seasons.

Get Sledge Hammer - it's less than half what I paid for it (sigh).

And as for neon genesis evangelion - isn't it a 2-pack of the two movies? which is kind of bad since the first one is completely redundant if you have both the platinum collection and the second movie.

#47 woobacca   Shrunken Shuriken CAGiversary!   868 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:27 AM

Oh wow, Greatest American Hero and Sledgehammer. Talk about nostalgia.

Tempted to grab GITS 2nd season, which I guess is not a box set but just b1g1 per DVD. Very nice.

#48 Alien Spider   #SQUIRTLESQUAD CAGiversary!   1503 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Alien Spider

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:15 AM

And as for neon genesis evangelion - isn't it a 2-pack of the two movies? which is kind of bad since the first one is completely redundant if you have both the platinum collection and the second movie.

Yep, "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion" specifically. And you're right, DaR is pretty much a waste, the "Death" part gives an overview of the series (some new animation is added, so it's not bad to sit through once or twice), and "Rebirth" is an exact rehash of the first part of EoE. But if you're buying something else for $30, getting this set free (well, technically $15) isn't a bad deal at all.

If I missed something in the details, please feel free to correct me.

I'm in for Tripping the Rift seasons 1 and 2. I didn't figure I'd ever see them new for cheaper than $8.99 a piece.

Thank you for posting, OP!

#49 hiccupleftovers   Worst Poster on CAG CAGiversary!   18072 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

hiccupleftovers

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:20 AM

So far just Titus for me. Maybe the two Neon movies and sleepaway camp now though.

#50 anderton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   282 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:49 AM

Awesome. When I'm finally done watching the filmographies of Akira Kurosawa and Hal Hartley, I'll start on Herzog. I might just use Netflix, though. Much appreciated.

Will

That would be my recommendation. I'm buying the set, but it's out of completion's sake, if nothing else.

#51 eldad9   Join Date: Jun 2002 CAGiversary!   3958 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

Yep, "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion" specifically. And you're right, DaR is pretty much a waste, the "Death" part gives an overview of the series (some new animation is added, so it's not bad to sit through once or twice), and "Rebirth" is an exact rehash of the first part of EoE. But if you're buying something else for $30, getting this set free (well, technically $15) isn't a bad deal at all.

As far as I know, all of the new animation is included in the director's cut of episodes 21-24, which is included in the platinum collection.

So: platinum collection + end of eva = everything.

Now, whether you "should" watch the TV ending (25-26), the movie ending (end of eva) or both, and in what order, is almost literally a religious discussion.

Personally, I'd recommend RahXephon instead. (/ducks fanboys).

#52 ravma479   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   40 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

ravma479

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

LOL, Nothing wrong with RahXephon. :)

I personally LOVED the TV ending, and have yet to view the movie.

#53 will_butler   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   27 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

will_butler

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:23 AM

Personally, I absolutely loved the entire series until the last 2 episodes. Those I hated. Hoping to conclude an amazing series well, I watched the movies. I hated them even more. So my suggestion would be to watch Eva up until the last two episodes, then watch Perfect Blue or Princess Mononoke. Or hell, check out Now and Then, Here and There instead. It's genius. And I'm not even an anime fan.

Will

#54 Leggo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   333 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:02 AM

End of Evangelion was f-ing awesome. Sorry folks.

#55 Mad-B-Man   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   287 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:12 AM

Crap, GitS seems nice, but the boxset is coming out soon. Wait of buy now, hmm...

#56 Dainbramaged   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   95 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Dainbramaged

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

*samshes face on desk* And I just bought Titus season 3 from buy.com's sale. *smashes face again*

#57 animemaniac14   Do the Monkey w/Me! CAGiversary!   3059 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

animemaniac14

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

LOL, Nothing wrong with RahXephon. :)

I personally LOVED the TV ending, and have yet to view the movie.

RahXephon IS amazing...heard the movie wasn't so good though...and i do need to finish evangelion before i start on the movies O_o

GAH im so tempted to buy GITS: SAC Vol. 6 LE to complete my collection...but i dunno if there is another box set i want...maybe i should get the GIS 2nd Gig Vol. 1 LE? hmmm any other suggestions?

#58 FurryCurry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

FurryCurry

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

I'm such a fan of the SE for GitS that I made a vow to get them all even though I knew box sets were coming. DDD has already cut off so much of the price already that I think the DTS Disc, free figurines (or OST or Mousepad and Playing Cards), and in a tin case with a window makes it worth it. Too bad they didn't start this sale after Vol. 7 came out because I would have gotten that and the SE of the first GitS movie.

For those who can't decide if they want to wait, it's a question of how badly do you want Tachikoma figurines. Me. Badly. I need a damn tachikoma game, movie, remote controlled car, etc.

#59 Danimal   12/2003 - 9/2018 CAGiversary!   2920 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

What about tripping the rift? Never watched it and was wondering if its any good. $18 for Season 1/2 seems like a good price to give it a shot.

I'm quoting this question from the first page of the thread because it never got an answer, and I'm wondering the same thing. I almost bought both seasons during the last 20% sale, but waited because I really didn't know much about the show. Is it funny at all? I'd love to hear an opinion or two.

#60 Xeno G   Stubborn Monkey CAGiversary!   315 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

Is it funny at all? I'd love to hear an opinion or two.

I thought the first season was alright. Nothing to write home about but it had me laughing here and there. They made some changes in the second season and I couldn't get into it at all. Gina Gershon was so much better than Carmen Electra as the voice of Six. And it just seemed like the writing wasn't as good in the second season.

So, the first season is easily worth the $9 but I have a hard time recommending season 2, even at that price.