Any alternative to Gamefly?

mobster011

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I currently have gamefly, which runs its operations in California. I live in Jersey, so it takes FOREVER for me to recieve a game. I sent a game back last Tuesday and it still hasn't cleared from my queue, so I can't expect my next game until the end of this week or maybe even early next week.

So does any other company offer something similar to Gamefly? I tried Blockbuster online but they only have the gamer pass, which I don't want because my blockbuster never has enough of a game.

[quote name='mobster011']I currently have gamefly, which runs its operations in California. I live in Jersey, so it takes FOREVER for me to recieve a game. I sent a game back last Tuesday and it still hasn't cleared from my queue, so I can't expect my next game until the end of this week or maybe even early next week.

So does any other company offer something similar to Gamefly? I tried Blockbuster online but they only have the gamer pass, which I don't want because my blockbuster never has enough of a game.[/quote]

i don't know why blockbuster doesn't do a gamefly type service...they are missing out...

I use inthegame.com and it seems to work ok. Shipping could be faster but its less horrible then the way everyone makes gamefly sound if you are east of the Mississippi. Sadly they too are in Cali thou, but I don't find the turnaround time horrible just a wee bit slow.

[quote name='looploop']there is Games n Flix. http://www.gameznflix.com/
I can't comment on the quality of the service, but it's an alternative you can look into.[/QUOTE]

NO don't they are the worst. I live in Ohio and I used Gamerang They have shipping Distro's from around the country. My games used to come from NJ, they also have them in CA, OK, and MN. IMO I had gamefly for a year then got rid of them cause they were coming all the way from CA. I would dare to say when I used gamerang for 2+ years they are better then gamefly.

I've been with intothegame.com for over a year. Their service is by far the best you'll ever have. If you want a game they don't carry, they'll have it in a few days. If you have any problems, they'll respond in about a day, if not less.

They're cheap too, which is always a good thing. I can't recommened them enough.

I don't understand why GameFly, which I assume is the most popular mail-order game service, has not expanded its distribution centers yet. I used them when they first started (I lived in TN at the time) and the turnaround time was about 4 days. That wasn't too bad since I had the 2 game subscription service but that is still way too long with services like NetFlix and Blockbuster with 1 and 2 day turnarounds.

I was always impressed with the GameFly experience except for the turnaround time. I would assume that is the biggest complaint they receive and yet they still haven't expanded.

Everyone, I appreciate all your help. I've decided I'm going to go with gamerang.com. They have a distribution center in New Jersey, which is where I live so I think that would work best for me.

Now, can anyone else post their experiences with gamerang, whether it be good or bad, so that I can judge whether gamerang's service is worth the faster shipping times. Thanks

Everyone, I appreciate all your help. I've decided I'm going to go with gamerang.com. They have a distribution center in New Jersey, which is where I live so I think that would work best for me.

Now, can anyone else post their experiences with gamerang, whether it be good or bad, so that I can judge whether gamerang's service is worth the faster shipping times. Thanks

Ok, I'm debating which plan I would like to do now. Here is my dilemma that I hope you can all voice your opinion on:

Should I sign up for gamerang for 2 games a month at $22 which has a distribution center in Jersey where I live.

OR

Should I sign up for intothegame for 3 games a month at $25 but has a distribution center on the other side of the country in California.

[quote name='mobster011']Should I sign up for gamerang for 2 games a month at $22 which has a distribution center in Jersey where I live.

OR

Should I sign up for intothegame for 3 games a month at $25 but has a distribution center on the other side of the country in California.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Ohio and ITG takes around 2-3 days to get the games, rarely any longer. That's not that bad, especially if you get the three games out deal. Returns are processed immediately, and the games are sent the same day they get them.

Thanks for telling me how craptacullar Gamefly is for people on the east coast.

Personally I would just get into emulators and spend that extra 20-30 dollars a month downloading games while figuring out how to play them via your favorite console/PPC/ or PC. Then delete the games or put them in cold storage.

It's still a 2-3 days wait:D

Ok, I live in Cali so I don't have the problem with shipping (though netflix still puts gamefly to shame in that dept.), but I have availablilty problems (can't be location based). sometimes it takes weeks before Gamefly even selects a new game to ship. out of the couple hundred games for PS3 they have, only 11% of the titles were listed as 'available now'. I have many 'High Availability' titles on my list yet apparently high availability is not available enough to ship a game to me and when they do finally ship, it's usually at least 10th on my list. Each month, far more time is spent waiting for a game to arrive than actually having a game at home. Basically a game has to be at least 2 years old for it to become unpopular enough to actually have it ship.

Netflix's queue works much much better than any other on-line rental queues. Blockbuster on-line queue is the worse... However, BBV is considering expanding on-line game rentals, so stay tuned for that (in-store exchange is the best).

I don't have problem with Gamefly, but the queue does work in mysterious ways (you never get the #1 game shipped, never, even it's HIGH availability). If you're on 1 game at a time plan, screw it, the waiting period for next game to be shipped is between 24-72 hours (1-3 days). So, on average, you rent two games a month (one week to play, 1.5 week to return/receive).

I'm seriously thinking about just paying rental fees to Block Buster, which you can control the rental time and when to stop. See, on-line rental services don't have this "HOLD" option, they just want to drain your credit card...

[quote name='mobster011']Can anyone else voice their opinion? I'm still in limbo on which I want to do.[/QUOTE]

I used Gamerang for about a year, the service was fine, I would caveat that by saying I didn't get very many games from them that were newly release I tended to get older stuff.

I seem to remember they used to send me stuff from the middle of my list as opposed to the top.

bread's done
Back