CAGcast #41: Airwombat

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I understand what you are getting at in your segment this week Wombat, but I think Dead Rising was a poor choice as an example. This is a great game that would have gotten a lot of hype on any system as Capcom + Zombies = Gold. Maybe you should have mentioned something along the lines of Prey as an example instead.

Overall, it was a pretty good CAGcast, but it felt a little disjointed at parts and didn't have the flow that the last one had.

A fantastic return to class.

Wombat, you're dead on. People are going on and on about Red Steel on the Wii, but if a few FPSs were released on the Wii and then Red Steel came along people would be like "Sword fighting? Big deal, this looks terrible".

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Luke Smith followed up on his disagreements with the Chromehounds microtransactions and tried to get some reaction statements. He's always very good at trying to do a little muckraking, as evidenced by his questions of cliffyb in the 1upyours podcast two weeks ago for the Gears of War non announcement.

I guess the best way to describe the save system in Way of the Samurai and Dead rising is "mimics real life", so if you screw up better luck the next playthrough.

I guess a "small" way to fix the slot thing would be to create accounts (I used this method to show people the game from the beginning...not the greatest solution but hey)

as for sidequests, despite what you've been told, save survivors, save them. it makes leveling up so much quicker and leveling up has it's perks.

Dead Rising has at Least 5 save points (Wonderland Plaza, Coby's Movieland, Paradise Plaza, North Plaza, and Security Room), I'm sure there might be more benches in the mall that I haven't found.

and for your conviencence here's a phamplet eb/gamestop gave out which gives a map of the mall
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6FE5CF121D8F92D6

I'd kill for assigned seating in movie theaters.

Great show, very funny.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who don't have an issue with the save system for Dead Rising, I think it's perfectly suitable for a game of this type.

And can't you just use your Xbox 360 as a component DVD player, CheapyD? Toss that cheap $30.00 DVD player. :D

[quote name='Drensch']Ok, What is the intro music from?, It's killing me. I totally remeber the music but not what it's from.[/quote]
Airwolf for the Commodore 64, CheapyD links it in the first post for each CAGcast.

[quote name='CheapyD']
Linkage:
Intro music: Airwolf (C64)
[/quote]

Good Cagcast. I really enjoy the two man show but I also like a guest every now and then. Answer? Taped interviews. I think a guest for the news segment or something would work well.

Cheapy mentioned 1up's Luke Smith during the show and from what I've heard of the guy recently, he might be who Wombat was talking about in last weeks Angry Wombat segment. In a 1up yours podcast he talked about how he hates PR companies going around making sure nobody says anything bad about a game, and if they do, they limit exclusive coverage. So if anyone wants a first review or cover story that mag/site has to kiss butt. Unfortunately, if someone gets a reputation for asking the hard questions and digging up dirt, PR companies just wont deal him.

I wonder what CheapyD's balls will look like. Will they be small, hairy or look just like his head!? As for CheapyD having contests, he sure has been taking a long time since his move to Japan. What was the last one... the Guitar Hero one? Lastly, a agree 100% on Miyazaki films, and Studio Ghibli. The only movie I hated was Pom Poko which was a really really long version of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax with racoons that have stretchy balls.

P.S. My Neighbor Totoro is the best!

You are right...My neighbor Totoro is really great. The song really gets stuck in your head too.
I watched Pom Poko too and thought it was 45 minutes too long.

Yeah, I need to get me shit together re: contests.

Really great episode. Much more fluid. I busted out laughing when Wombat was talking about how your parents died. Funny stuff.

All the endings of the auditions have been great. How much of that do you guys have?

[quote name='sonicfreak5']yea whats with the black guy at the ending? Is that some sort of audition at wombats former job....
yea that was a good cagcast[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Good CAGcast too.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']That's what I was thinking. Good CAGcast too.[/QUOTE]

See Cagcast #39 thread: ODB Mr. ED pilot.

Airwolf for the Commodore 64, CheapyD links it in the first post for each CAGcast.

I remembered the music after a 2nd listen thru of the show. Thanks for telling me about the listing though. I guess I never noticed.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I wonder what CheapyD's balls will look like. Will they be small, hairy or look just like his head!? As for CheapyD having contests, he sure has been taking a long time since his move to Japan. What was the last one... the Guitar Hero one? Lastly, a agree 100% on Miyazaki films, and Studio Ghibli. The only movie I hated was Pom Poko which was a really really long version of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax with racoons that have stretchy balls.[/quote]
Pom Poko is great, and they're Tanukis. :bomb:

I like Spirited Away the best, though all of them are great.

Good show. I like that you guys have been mentioning feedback/reactions to the CAGcast for the past couple of shows, as it shows that you guys at least aknowledge that we post our thoughts on the show each week.

As for the topic regarding making a big deal out of releases for new consoles, it's expected at the beginning of its lifecycle since early adopters are interested in knowing what's new to their growing library, but it does get tiring to hear a big deal out of even some of the smaller titles just because it's an Xbox 360 title. It'll be the same for the PS3 and Wii until the library is filling up nicely with a steady flow of titles. It happened with the DS and the PSP where people made a huge deal out of each game that came out just because it was a new game for their new handhelds during the slow transition periods between the launch lineup and the second wave of titles.

I am so glad I sat through the outro music this time. I was laughing my ass off at the ODB audition. :rofl:

EDIT: I didn't realize there have been ODB snippets at the end of the last few cagcast as well. LOL.

[quote name='usickenme']"the burrow"..is that a New York thing?[/QUOTE]
not really certain animals create burrows or dens to live in

Firstly, I am as big a fan of the CAGcast as anyone but I have been dissapointed for a 2nd consecutive week.
Wombat Burrow-is a poor name IMHO. I really think your commentary lacked thought and I believe that you have a valid point but you failed to get it to the listeners.
Don't force the segment. If there's really something worth talking about I think you guys should go for it but I think this week's segment was below average.-

Loved the facts of life references-I lol'ed on the train this morning.
-Nice man in japan segment. I find it very weird that the japanese wait for all the credits before leaving-what losers!

ODB at the end was again funny as hell-Can someone possibly be that dumb?

Cheapy-I actually do think the thread last week was generated a lot of discussion b/c of the special guest as opposed to the free t-shirt giveaway.

[quote name='kjauburn']Who would have thought the movie Robot Jox would have every be mention in a Cagcast...[/quote]

I know when I saw it in the theaters long ago, I knew. I totally did. ;)

[quote name='kjauburn']Who would have thought the movie Robot Jox would have every be mention in a Cagcast...[/quote]

"Crash and burn!" ;)

I can't believe Cheapy namechecked Capsela. Everyone knows LEGOs and Erector Sets, but Capsela gets no love. You layed down some serious nostalgia on me, my brother.

Anybody remember Robostrux?

Miyazaki is fantastic. I've got most of the Studio Ghibli films on DVD. My favorite is probably also "Spirited Away," though Totoro is a close second. Turner Classic Movies showed EVERY Studio Ghibli film back in January or February and I got to catch a couple I hadn't seen, like "Whisper of the Heart," which was slow but good, and "Pom Poko," which was overlong and strange (and yes I understand the whole cultural significance of Tanukis). I did like how the animation style changed based on the onscreen events, from naturalistic to cartoony, to almost comic-strip like.

Lebowsky: The outro commercials are like 20 seconds long (and usually quite amusing). Where do you have to be that you can't "sit through" that?! ;)

A couple comments from this week's podcast.

First, I loved the Angry Wombat segment last week, and I think he made a great point again this week regarding 1UP's comments on the Chromehounds microtransactions. If someone in the media calls themself a "journalist", then they should be asking "why", not just merely stating the facts, or worse, saying they don't like something and then just leaving it at that. I think that's the playground equivalent to starting a fight and then running away from it.

Luke Smith considers himself as a journalist, but he's not. He has the clout and the contacts to not only state his disappointment with something, but also to ask the question why. All he had to do was write that one word into his column, but he didn't. He called out Sega, or From Software, or whoever was responsible for the decision, but he didn't challenge the decision. "Why". One word would have made all the difference. He wouldn't have even had to get on the phone and call up Sega and request an answer. Just asking the question would have been enough.

Of course, 1UP and Gamespot and all the other major gaming media outlets have enough resources available and clout in the industry that they could call up a developer or publisher and ask the question. They have people who can speak and translate Japanese, so language isn't a barrier. If they don't receive a reply, all they do is have to state "calls to the publisher as of presstime have gone unanswered", or "no comment", or simply state the reply itself, which would undoubtedly skirt the question to begin with. But just because it might not be a sufficient answer, it's still worth asking. That's the important thing, and sooner or later companies will get used to backing up their decisions, however ridiculous their response may be. To be fair, it does seem like Gamespot does try to get a response from game companies, at least more so than 1UP.

My second comment deals with race in games, and there have been a few games that opted for a minority as the main character, which that decision of race had little to no bearing on the overall story. The first one that comes to mind is Men of Valor, which the lead character was African-American. Or remember Shadowman? Or Torque in The Suffering series? What about the Asian-American lead in True Crime: Streets of L.A.? There are a lot of games that depict the main character as a minority, but the reason no one remembers them is because that depicition is usually irrelevant to the main story. Isn't that what equality is all about? Men and women of all races living together not as blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Latinos, etc.; but as people?

Keep up the fight Wombat! And another great podcast!

Jeremy

Could someone explain this "assigned seating" thing to me?

:;):
But seriously, I no yore kine,..Eye red teh eh-males!

LOL, keep em coming. More wacky japanese cultural observations please.

So from this CAGcast I learned 2 very important things. First about assigned seating and second that Cheapy will be the first man to send his balls from Japan to the US via XBL.

Overall great show, had to try really hard no to laugh too loud at school during my break while listening.

FYI, Major Nelson was from the show "I Dream of Jeannie" NOT Bewitched. I thought the Podcast was excellent this week, but I really enjoyed last weeks guest and I hope you guys have more guest in the future, be it game industry people, MODs, or even just regular posters here at CAG. I wish instead of reading emails or post you had a skype number or something that people could call to leave a voice mail and ask questions for the show. Also please pick me to win something next pod cast.

So first off great show guys laughed a couple of times interesting overall. Texas hold em for free kick ass the game is rad. But why is Madden $10 extra when it sucks hairy monkey balls. I have played the regular xbox version and it is better. Is there something wrong when I would pay an extra $10 for a total of $70 to play the Xbox version on my 360.

Dead Rising's save/mission system was done for a reason: so you feel rewarded when you see all the cutscenes, and when you get the best ending. I played it the first time, saved about 6 survivors, got all the Case Missions, and ended up getting a crap ending. You're not supposed to just easily breeze through the game, quicksaving every 10 minutes, so you can be finished with it in 2 days.

Wombat nice Freaks reference. I remember two friends and I getting a bunch of beer and watching that for the first time. Great movie.

Just got finished listening to this. Cheapy, you're mini review of Chromehounds REALLY sealed the deal for me. I just bought a 360 again recently mainly because all the buzz around CH multiplayer, and i'm going to definitely pick this baby up soon, thanks!

bread's done
Back