Battalion Wars 2 (BWii) - Online Co-op/Versus (FCs in OP) - NP: 7.5; IGN: 8; GS: 7.5

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
bwiigp3.jpg

Friend Codes for Friendly and Not-So Friendly Online Combat
wjhard63 - 184 798 494 059
hack - 004 410 401 395
botticus - 004 410 840 075

They better make these true sequels and not semisequels with just added Wii controlers. I don't see why Nintendo thinks they need sequels to these games so fast.

[quote name='David85']They better make these true sequels and not semisequels with just added Wii controlers. I don't see why Nintendo thinks they need sequels to these games so fast.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet these were being developed on the Gamecube are now being shuffled over to the Wii... semisequels, as you said.

But yea, kinda odd they are pumping sequels to these games so quickly yet we only get one Smash Brothers game in the entire Gamecube's life.

It does have online play. All they seemed to add was online play and multiplayer.

We most likely will only see one BW game on the Wii and it better be a full blown sequel. The Wii should last 5 years, thats 2011. Why do we need a sequel in 2007 or 2008? They should wait until they have created all the big name games and all the new Wii games first.

Did you see the screens? The graphics haven't even been changed at all. Nintendo probably banged this demo out in less than a month. Jumping seems too much like an afterthought to convince me otherwise.

I bet we're going to see a lot of this shit for the first year or so.

Damn, I guess I ought to crack open that BW I got a year ago during the preorder deal from GR and play it one of these days. It's hard for me to compare when I don't even know how the first one plays :rofl:. OK, OK, that will be my next game after Tales of Legendia...

But I do know from the reviews that the big complaint was that multiplayer (and even better, online multiplayer) would be great for this game and would be the logical addition for any sequel they might make - looks like Nintendo is delivering. I'm sure the visuals will be bumped up before the release. It's not a launch title or anything, right (so there's lots of time to improve)? (The link isn't working for me so the only info I have is from CAG).

Edit - OK, finally got through to the site, no mention of release date, figures... Thinking about it more, they probably won't upgrade the visuals much - just work on the control and multiplayer. I think the GC-quality visuals are fine IF they can come up with a robust online multiplayer that supports more than just 4 people!

I was really looking forward to this game and loved the first to death. I looked up BWii though and all Ive seen is news dating back to august of last year. No news or nothing in a year? Is this thing dead in the water?

So far, its the only reason I want a Wii.

Hopefully news at the Games Convention, since that's where it was quietly announced last year, and Metroid will be out by then - new game to hype!

I just preordered it at EB and they have Oct 29th as the release date in their release date book and in stores on Oct 30th.

Is it me or Nintendo sometimes spotty with the PR behind certain games? Battalion Wars II I had all but forgotten about and here its released a couple months from now. I cant remember the last time a Nintendo title snuck up on me like that.

It was pushed to October because it was scheduled to come out on 9/25/2007

Yeah, that was the best move ever.

[quote name='KingBroly']It was pushed to October because it was scheduled to come out on 9/25/2007

Yeah, that was the best move ever.[/QUOTE]

I'm disappointed because there isn't any other September release I was looking forward to ;). Actually, I'm serious. Late October puts it too near the other big Wii releases (Mario Galaxy and SSBB). It would seem better to have it separated from them as originally planned than not compete with Halo 3. I mean, I could see not having it the same week as Halo 3, but they ought to have just pushed it a week or two from there, not a month.

Im looking forward to a little online BW action myself. Maybe Nintendo will give it some PR after MP3 is released.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Is it me or Nintendo sometimes spotty with the PR behind certain games? Battalion Wars II I had all but forgotten about and here its released a couple months from now. I cant remember the last time a Nintendo title snuck up on me like that.[/QUOTE]
Has Nintendo ever pushed the Wars series though? I don't recall ever seeing too much hype around any of the games. A few ads, but nothing too over the top.

There is a 3 page spread for BWii in the newest Nintendo Power.

It shows a bit about the naval combat, a bit about the controls, and some things about the air strikes.

The game looks good, not great, but good.

it's a shame. i definitely plan to buy this game. but i'll wait till after christmas. i've just got too many other games i'm looking forward to.

i thought the first batallion wars was great, so this is a must buy. and i'm very curious what they will do with online play.

I haven't seen much PR from nintendo for any of their games. I don't watch a lot of tv though so could just be missing it all.

I never had a gamecube so I didn't pay much attention to gamecube games. However, I don't remember ever hearing about battalion wars or advance war (DS) series. Other than stuff on review sites like IGN and people talking about it on forums, there wasn't much PR done for it.

I would think the delay might be due to trying to polish up certain aspects of the game that they weren't happy about. If I had to guess, they're trying to get the online part working as smooth as possible. It is getting a little close to Galaxy but I don't care when it comes out. They just need to make sure they get it right because console games are much harder to patch if they screw something up.

I think Battalion Wars 2 looks like it will be a great game.

[quote name='Swingman']I haven't seen much PR from nintendo for any of their games. I don't watch a lot of tv though so could just be missing it all.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. No pre-release TV or print ads on Corruption and besides the video game magazines (pretty much only Nintendo Power), nothing on BWii or Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn (due out on 11/5/07). I've noticed, though, that the Wii commercials pretty much don't push a game until it's release or a week before it's release. I'm just now seeing commercials for Strikers.

I hope they get a bigger push after Corruption. I'd hate to have two potentially decent games get lost in the shuffle around the giants (Galaxy and Smash) this fall.

Gotta finish the first BW and FE: PoR before late October!

[quote name='Starky27']Has Nintendo ever pushed the Wars series though? I don't recall ever seeing too much hype around any of the games. A few ads, but nothing too over the top.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

[quote name='Starky27']Has Nintendo ever pushed the Wars series though? I don't recall ever seeing too much hype around any of the games. A few ads, but nothing too over the top.[/quote]

You have a point. Nintendo doesn't seem to want to releas ecertai nJapan only games like the War series, Animal Crossing, FE, until years and several games later. How many War games did Japan get before we got one? Nintendo needs to realize there is a market for some of those games outside of Japan.

Has Wars been guaranteed multiplayer? I know it has the Wi-fi logo but I haven't heard about any features.

Still, I'll be buying it probably at release. Nintendo won't advertise it until Prime is out at the earliest.

[quote name='wjhard63']I completely agree. No pre-release TV or print ads on Corruption and besides the video game magazines (pretty much only Nintendo Power), nothing on BWii or Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn (due out on 11/5/07). I've noticed, though, that the Wii commercials pretty much don't push a game until it's release or a week before it's release.[/quote]

Yeah, I do remember Nintendo stating a couple of times that they don't like to advertise games until they are available to purchase. Basically, they don't want people to see the commercials and then get excited and rush to the store to buy them, only to be let down because they aren't available yet. It kind of makes sense, but it doesn't allow anything much time to build up alot of hype with people who don't follow the gaming industry very closely.

[quote name='fyffem']Has Wars been guaranteed multiplayer? I know it has the Wi-fi logo but I haven't heard about any features.[/QUOTE]

According to this article on IGN, BWii will have online play:

[quote name='IGN']Three Online Multiplayer Modes
  • Assault: Instant Combat
  • Skirmish: Tactical depth
  • Co-op: Work with friends
[/quote]

Then again, that article was from August 23, 2006, so the information could be outdated.

Ive always heard that this one will have multiplayer, but I haven't seen a recent article or anything on it, so it could of changed.

Nintendo Power just did a feature on it in the current issue, still touting the three online modes. They're there, don't worry.

It's coming out fairly soon. Like in the next month to a month or so.

Like Prime 3 this is a launch buy for me. I look forward to playing some of you hopefully.

Battalion Wars is an awesome game. If you havent played it you should give it a try. Great Gamecube game. 2 should be even better with new races, units, navel units, online, and even more cut scenes. I'm curious what they do with the story because the first was a parody of World War 2 so strongly with all the right people getting killed to semi mirror real life.

[quote name='fyffem']Sweet, co-op alone pretty much makes this deal perfect.[/quote]

Sorry co-op without mic equals massive fail...

Still almost 2 months from release (Oct 29). It's one of the games I'm really looking forward to playing. Not much reading material on it.

[quote name='kjauburn']Sorry co-op without mic equals massive fail...[/QUOTE]

Same system co-op could make it a little better.

I think the most publicity we'll see for this game will be an ad here and there on tv (probably G4 TechTV), and a print ad in Nintendo Power.

[quote name='Ravenous']The vids from Aug 06?

Man, it comes out this month and theres no up to date previews or vids?[/quote]

I know I was searching for newer vids too. The first one got pretty decent reviews, I just don't understand how this one can fly so low under the radar.

I'm truly disappointed with the lack of a push for this game, given it's due out on the 29th. Besides the 8 or 10 paragraph article in last month's Nintendo Power, there seems to be no kind of push from Nintendo for this game at all. Two weeks to launch and I haven't seen new videos or more of an explanation of the online component than the in-set in last month's NP.

That said, I finished the first BW last Thursday night, taking the time to S-rank every mission. Though I must say that some control and camera issues were frustrating, it was a really enjoyable, fun game. The variety of troops, different kinds of missions and rules to them, and the satisfaction of controlling the vehicles you strategically command was a neat experience and a different but entertaining take on Advance Wars line of games.

I know a lot of people want new IP's from Nintendo right now and I'm sure most would count this as more of a spin-off than a new IP (given it's AW roots), but I think the first effort was decent and hope people give the sequel a try despite the abysmal marketing for this title.

[quote name='Zen Davis']7.5 From Nintendo Power.[/quote]

YOU sir, have broken my heart by writing that number.

[quote name='botticus']Less than the original is unfortunate. Hopefully my magazine gets here before the game is out.[/QUOTE]

I agree it's unfortunate and did make me re-think my pre-order, but I wonder if the first BW was scored under the old NP, which gave all first parties nothing under 8.5 (which was the score of the original).

I really enjoyed the first one, with some detractions, and I imagine the second one is just more of the same, so I'm hoping this is the new, more honest NP (which I think would've scored the original 7.5).

I'm still planning to pick this up on day 1 and hope there are a few other CAG's that pick up too so I can try out the wi-fi (most of my friends with Wii's only pick up the AAA titles, so there's no hope playing with them online).

Speaking of playing with friends, was there ever a statement by Nintendo stating if co-op play would be available for a single Wii (a-la split screen)?

Definitely been looking forward to this game, and I will certainly pick it up day one. As long as it's got the great gameplay from the first game, it'll rock. I'm also very much looking forward to playing this online.

bread's done
Back