Reporters note difference in 360/PS3 graphics....

"It was almost eerie when we noticed the veins sticking out in our character's forehead. "

Gross. For the extra $200, I'd certainly hope the PS3 version would look better then the 360 version.

Why are two differnt companies working on differnt ports for this game though? It makes me wonder if one system does a little better or if one team is just better than another.

Sounds like the same as this gen with PS2 and Xbox. The Xbox almost always looked a little cleaner and sharper. Now it looks to be the same thing except PS3 games will be a little cleaner and sharper than the 360 version.

It's not really a fair comparison though since 2 totally different groups are working on it. I have heard of AM2 but not the other group, and I know AM2 has some serious experience.
I'll wait till one company does both ports to base my opinions.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ummm duh?

What's next? Reporters note difference in price?[/QUOTE]

Hahha right...noobs should not be able to post unless CAg members for a longtime except in the deals thread...last thing you want is to turn the forum section into Xbox live forums (worst ever) we would die from rumors alone

"This was made more interesting by the fact that the two games are being developed by separate companies with AM2 working on the PS3 title and Sumo Digital developing the 360 version" Theres your answer....like comparing an image on 2 different TV's...and saying wow this game looks better...duh!

[quote name='Daddy']
"This was made more interesting by the fact that the two games are being developed by separate companies with AM2 working on the PS3 title and Sumo Digital developing the 360 version" [/quote]

Of course the PS3 version is going to look better. AM2 has been in this business a LOT longer than Sumo Digital. The development staff alone should be able to produce something of higher quality. It's almost expected of them.

Clayman reiterated later in his blog, "Not only do the clothes flow realistically along with the throbbing veins in my character's forehead, but I could faintly see the little white hairs on Sharpova's evenly tanned tush."

After a fifteen minute break, where each reporter was given five minutes alone with the game, Clayman emerged from his private lair, veins throbbing, and added, "I can also verify that she keeps it very trim on the carpet."

Asked whether or not he was concerned about the lack of vibration tech in the new Sony controller, David replied, "When you can see the real-time rendered sweat coming off her as she bounces up and down the court, it gives a new meaning to the term 'dual shock'."

WB Narrator's, nice to see you again.

Who the fuck is Sumo Digital even and what products are they known for? I also agree with the above assertions about AM2 and that this isn't a fair comparison especially considering we're talking Virtua Tennis. Also can someone confirm with me that the PS3 has half the RAM of the 360 or is that incorrect?

LOLZ!!! The 360 is doomed b/c the PS3's graphics will ownz it!!! Who will want a 360 now that it's graphics look so passe?!

/sarcasm

[quote name='Sarang01']

Who the fuck is Sumo Digital even and what products are they known for?[/QUOTE]

I've only played 2 games from them, and its the 2 Outrun games for the Xbox. They were decent ports of the arcade versions.

[quote name='Sarang01']Also can someone confirm with me that the PS3 has half the RAM of the 360 or is that incorrect?[/QUOTE]

PS3 has about the same amount of RAM as the 360. It has 256mb video RAM and 256mb system RAM. What its lacking is the 10mb of embedded DRAM that the graphics card in the 360 has. The other issue with RAM that its lacking is the PS3 OS supposedly hogs up more RAM than the 360 OS. Which basically means games have less RAM to play with. The only strength PS3 RAMs setup has over 360 is the 256mb video RAM runs at 3.2ghz. All of 360's 512mb RAM is at 700mhz.

[quote name='Morpheus']PS3 has about the same amount of RAM as the 360. It has 256mb video RAM and 256mb system RAM. What its lacking is the 10mb of embedded DRAM that the graphics card in the 360 has. The other issue with RAM that its lacking is the PS3 OS supposedly hogs up more RAM than the 360 OS. Which basically means games have less RAM to play with. The only strength PS3 RAMs setup has over 360 is the 256mb video RAM runs at 3.2ghz. All of 360's 512mb RAM is at 700mhz.[/QUOTE]

Ugh it's a GAMING system, not meant to be a fucking computer. That's ridiculous about the OS. Is that 10 mb. REALLY even going to make a difference? Granted it's on the graphics card but that 3.2 GHz off the PS3 RAM really means something to the 360's 700 MHz as long as the architecture of the system doesn't make it bottlenecked as a motherfucker compared to the 360. Of course there is always the issue of the CELL Processor and processors on top of processors on it which may just in general make it a genuine pain in the ass to program for as compared to the 360.

[quote name='Sarang01']Ugh it's a GAMING system, not meant to be a fucking computer. That's ridiculous about the OS. Is that 10 mb. REALLY even going to make a difference? Granted it's on the graphics card but that 3.2 GHz off the PS3 RAM really means something to the 360's 700 MHz as long as the architecture of the system doesn't make it bottlenecked as a motherfucker compared to the 360. Of course there is always the issue of the CELL Processor and processors on top of processors on it which may just in general make it a genuine pain in the ass to program for as compared to the 360.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the OS thing is ridiculous, but its the way these companies are heading, since they want to be the all-in-one entertainment hub instead of purely a gaming machine. That's one of the bright sides about the Wii, because it truly seems to be a dedicated video game system compared to the other two. The 10mbs of DRAM makes a difference just not a huge one IMO.

The way I look at it (IMO). 360 has the better RAM architecture compared to PS3. PS3 has the harddrive standard which 360 lacks standard. PS3 has blu-ray disc capacity which 360 only has DVD capacity. 360 graphics card has a lot more potential than PS3 graphics card in the long run, while the PS3 CPU has a lot more potential than the 360 CPU in the long run. Will all the power (or close to it) from both systems be unlocked by the end of this generation? Who knows. I doubt it though. These two systems are so close that its going to have to come down to individual developers to show the power of each system. Gears of War and Metal Gear Solid 4 are a good show of the power these systems are capable of in the right hands.

the xbox is 400, the core is a joke. + around 150 for the future HD-dvd add-on.

the ps3 is 400, +200 for just blueray addon and more hard drive.

there IS no price difference.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']the xbox is 400, the core is a joke. + around 150 for the future HD-dvd add-on.

the ps3 is 400, +200 for just blueray addon and more hard drive.

there IS no price difference.[/QUOTE]

Can you buy a PS3 without a blu-ray player? Is the HD-DVD drive integral to the 360 experience? Can you pick up a hard drive for under $80 with some wheeling and dealing these days? Is $400 magically equal to $500 all of a sudden?

[quote name='furyk']? Can you pick up a hard drive for under $80 with some wheeling and dealing these days? [/QUOTE]

the same could be said of the price of the PS3. I can't see myself paying over $200 for it and I'll probably pick it up this spring.

[quote name='Morpheus']Yeah, the OS thing is ridiculous, but its the way these companies are heading, since they want to be the all-in-one entertainment hub instead of purely a gaming machine. That's one of the bright sides about the Wii, because it truly seems to be a dedicated video game system compared to the other two. The 10mbs of DRAM makes a difference just not a huge one IMO.

The way I look at it (IMO). 360 has the better RAM architecture compared to PS3. PS3 has the harddrive standard which 360 lacks standard. PS3 has blu-ray disc capacity which 360 only has DVD capacity. 360 graphics card has a lot more potential than PS3 graphics card in the long run, while the PS3 CPU has a lot more potential than the 360 CPU in the long run. Will all the power (or close to it) from both systems be unlocked by the end of this generation? Who knows. I doubt it though. These two systems are so close that its going to have to come down to individual developers to show the power of each system. Gears of War and Metal Gear Solid 4 are a good show of the power these systems are capable of in the right hands.[/QUOTE]

I would argue MGS4 even more. No offense but Kojima-san is more in line with Suzuki-san who I can't WAIT to see put out a new game. I mean a guy who ported a game to the Saturn and basically coded it from Assembly, much respect and it shows much intelligence. I don't see as much of that coming from the programming staff for most FPS or they don't use colors as well or something. I just see something missing from the equation the Japanese fill in.

[quote name='Sarang01']I would argue MGS4 even more. No offense but Kojima-san is more in line with Suzuki-san who I can't WAIT to see put out a new game. I mean a guy who ported a game to the Saturn and basically coded it from Assembly, much respect and it shows much intelligence. I don't see as much of that coming from the programming staff for most FPS or they don't use colors as well or something. I just see something missing from the equation the Japanese fill in.[/quote]

Directing and art direction me thinks. And maybe it is the colors.

[quote name='Sarang01']I would argue MGS4 even more. No offense but Kojima-san is more in line with Suzuki-san who I can't WAIT to see put out a new game. I mean a guy who ported a game to the Saturn and basically coded it from Assembly, much respect and it shows much intelligence. I don't see as much of that coming from the programming staff for most FPS or they don't use colors as well or something. I just see something missing from the equation the Japanese fill in.[/QUOTE]

What you seem to be commenting on is more of an art-style/design argument. Which really comes down to personal tastes. FYI Most of the main FPS companies (Epic, Id, etc) are at the fore-front of the graphics department. More so than Japanese developers.

What I was trying to point out with MGS4 and GOW is that they look way beyond most of the games on each of those platforms and are comparable to each other in qaulity of graphics (not art-style). Proving the point I tried to make about the games qaulity on either system coming down to the individual developers, since both systems are so evenly matched in power.

The whole PS3 vs Xbox 360 is kinda mute point. For me I will not own either one until a game that defines it comes out. I didn't have a ps2 until God of War came out, and the xbox 1 I only owned because I got a used deal from someone moving and wanted to sell it. Gamecube was the only system I bought new because it was cheap and let me play enough non computer style games, which all I have a console for is the occasional diversion from computer games , like mario type games that aren't on the computer, or prince of persia that console controls I liked better and Tiger Woods golf to play with buddies and I didn't care which console I play that on.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Of course the PS3 version is going to look better. AM2 has been in this business a LOT longer than Sumo Digital. The development staff alone should be able to produce something of higher quality. It's almost expected of them.[/QUOTE]
I was about to note that... AM2 is one of the best in the console business. Sumo Digital has not ever developed a game themselves, all they've done to date are ports, some parts of other games that were contracted out, and some consulting. The company the founders came from (Infogrames Sheffield, which was Gremlin Interactive) made absolutely nothing of note, they did some mediocre games like Superman: Shadow of Apokolips and Micro Machines.

Sega putting their 2nd best dev team (2nd to Sonic Team) on the PS3 version, and some outside small time developer on the 360 version, is probably a testament to how much harder it is to make games for PS3.

[quote name='dafoomie']Sega putting their 2nd best dev team (2nd to Sonic Team) on the PS3 version, and some outside small time developer on the 360 version, is probably a testament to how much harder it is to make games for PS3.[/QUOTE]
Or, it might be a testament to what audience Sega is catering to. Power Slam is a huge franchise in Japan, and so they're going to let their prized arcade team port it to the PS3 because that's what the Japanese will be buying the game on. As for America, many here will also be buying it on PS3, and for those who do not, as long as the X360 version looks comparible, then why should they worry? Of course, this might end up going the other way with some American developers who make games on the X360 and then don't want to fool with the complication of ports to the PS3 so give it a rush job.

Unfortunately, in the port business, "good enough" is good enough.

[quote name='elwood731']Or, it might be a testament to what audience Sega is catering to. Power Slam is a huge franchise in Japan, and so they're going to let their prized arcade team port it to the PS3 because that's what the Japanese will be buying the game on. As for America, many here will also be buying it on PS3, and for those who do not, as long as the X360 version looks comparible, then why should they worry? Of course, this might end up going the other way with some American developers who make games on the X360 and then don't want to fool with the complication of ports to the PS3 so give it a rush job.

Unfortunately, in the port business, "good enough" is good enough.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much... In any case, its clear that the effort and expertise being put into both versions of the game is not at all equal, and this really isn't a good game to use to compare the hardware.

bread's done
Back