F.E.A.R (360) Discussion - Demo on XBL now

Halochic

Banned
The F.E.A.R demo for the 360 was just released Friday. (Also playable demos include prey, and top-spin 2.) Has anyone else played it yet? I purchased it yesterday, and have played the demo thru 3 times now - it's awesome!

I was wondering if someone could tell me the name of one of the guns that was featured in the demo, it shoots out the high voltage, and just leaves your enemies skeleton.

Here's some of the guns that I remeber that you can use in the demo -
-Pentrator
-Shotgun
-Pistol
-Sub Machine Gun
-Assault Rifle
-(The one that shoots out the high voltage.) ..
-..any others I may have missed.

I know that F.E.A.R was released for the PC, and there was a big ordeal about if the 360 could handle a game like F.E.A.R or not. I think the graphics on it look awesome, but I don't know much about the PC version ..

The controls are pretty nice too, comfortable and not 2 akward. I thought viewing all the trailers that the game would be extremely hard to control, and it seemed like it would be kind of hard to learn all the controls etc., but after playing the demo - it seems like it's going to be pretty easy. I found myself running out of health alot, but their was alot of medkits around for your health boosts.

I can't wait for the whole version .. if you haven't played the demo yet, you need to! So here's my question:

Who has played the demo for the 360 yet? Who plans on getting it etc.?

[quote name='invinceable104']That crazy-turn-you-into-a-skeleton-in-one-hit gun is the Armachan Type-7, I believe.[/quote]

Thanks! That sounds right, I remeber it having "7" in the name, that gun is freaking awesome.

with CounterStrike going BC (and a future CS on the way), and having BFMC2, a (fixed) FarCry, Prey, and Call of Duty 2, there's no room for F.E.A.R. on my shelf..unless it turns out to be like the greatest game of all-time (but right now I'm not seeing it)

FEAR is an entirely different experience...it's really damn scary.
If you can't get into that whole atmosphere (and it's hard not to), the game is pretty much a vanilla shooter. Looks pretty.

But yeah, turn up your speakers, close your blinds and play at midnight for a few hours. It'll blow your mind.

[quote name='invinceable104']FEAR is an entirely different experience...it's really damn scary.
If you can't get into that whole atmosphere (and it's hard not to), the game is pretty much a vanilla shooter. Looks pretty.

But yeah, turn up your speakers, close your blinds and play at midnight for a few hours. It'll blow your mind.[/quote]

F.E.A.R is amazing, and not many demos can make me say that about a game. The slow motion is a pretty cool addition, being able to slow it down when your shooting at an enemy espeically with the shotgun and penetrator, is awesome. I don't think I could really pay it at midnight, lol the demo was a little to freaky for me at times.

In one part of the demo, you have to climb down a ladder and as you turn around to climb down it, the second you turn around, theres that little girl standing right infront of your face, it was entirely unexpected. Then walking threw a hallway, it changes to this hallway with white walls, and blood all over the walls, when you walk to one end of the hallway the door like disappears. I can't wait for the whole version to be released.

I'm taking it you've played the PC version, if you crappy computer could handle PC games, I would have purchased it for the PC already. (Even though I'm not much of a computer gamer.) I'll just wait now for it to be released on the 360.

Release Date? - I beleive it's in Nov., or maybe I am just assuming that because of Gears of Wars release, and Call Of Duty 3?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']with CounterStrike going BC (and a future CS on the way), and having BFMC2, a (fixed) FarCry, Prey, and Call of Duty 2, there's no room for F.E.A.R. on my shelf..unless it turns out to be like the greatest game of all-time (but right now I'm not seeing it)[/quote]
Fear is the best FPS I've played.

I'm not biting on the hype anytime soon. When it comes out I'll give it a rent (or maybe just stick with the demo) and we'll see..but I already have CoD3, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and Lost Planet on the horizon so I don't know if I want to get another shooter on top of all these.

i caved in and got the magazine (can't believe i spent $10 on a demo...)

It's good stuff and like everyone says, the A.I. and all the debris is fucking awesome. Might wait for a price drop but I definitely want to play it...

[quote name='Apossum']i caved in and got the magazine (can't believe i spent $10 on a demo...)

It's good stuff and like everyone says, the A.I. and all the debris is fucking awesome. Might wait for a price drop but I definitely want to play it...[/quote]

I forked up the 10 bucks for the demo as well. I couldn't wait 2 months, and figured what the hell. I'm going to play it thru a few more times, so I think I'll get the 10.00 worth out the demo. The Project 8 stickers arent 2 bad either. :)

[quote name='Apossum']i caved in and got the magazine (can't believe i spent $10 on a demo...)

It's good stuff and like everyone says, the A.I. and all the debris is fucking awesome. Might wait for a price drop but I definitely want to play it...[/QUOTE]

I find it funny that you will pay $10 for a 15 min demo, but not $60 for an amazing game. :D

[quote name='Halochic']Fear is the best FPS I've played.[/quote]

thats an amateur statement. you obviously never played half life 2.

[quote name='Halochic']Will F.E.A.R have an online mode for xbox live, when it's released on the 360? That would be awesome.[/quote]
I'm almost sure they would. I don't see why they would cut out the multiplayer part of a shooter, even if the single player is the focus.

[quote name='nickmad']thats an amateur statement. you obviously never played half life 2.[/quote]
Well, it's possible that Halochic did, and didn't like Half-Life 2...
Halochic didn't say that FEAR is the best FPS ever or anything.
I could go so far as to say that Dakiatana was the best FPS I ever played....er.....well you get the point.

[quote name='nickmad']thats an amateur statement. you obviously never played half life 2.[/QUOTE]

No, its a personal opinion. I thought FEAR was better than Half Life 2.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']with CounterStrike going BC (and a future CS on the way), and having BFMC2, a (fixed) FarCry, Prey, and Call of Duty 2, there's no room for F.E.A.R. on my shelf..unless it turns out to be like the greatest game of all-time (but right now I'm not seeing it)[/QUOTE]

F.E.A.R is better than all of those games you listed, espically Prey and FarCry. When I played it on the PC it was literally the best FPS to come out in years. Unless the 360 version gets severely fucked up from the PC, it will also be the best FPS the 360 will see.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Half life 2 blew[/QUOTE]
no.

i bet it just didn't work on your computer so you hate it.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']with CounterStrike going BC (and a future CS on the way), and having BFMC2, a (fixed) FarCry, Prey, and Call of Duty 2, there's no room for F.E.A.R. on my shelf..unless it turns out to be like the greatest game of all-time (but right now I'm not seeing it)[/quote]

For being a hardcore FPS fan, you owe it to yourself to give F.E.A.R. a try. Its seriously one of the best games I played. And my opinion is just based on the demo I played.

Oh and by the way OP, its was being discussed here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105051

[quote name='LinkinPrime']For being a hardcore FPS fan, you owe it to yourself to give F.E.A.R. a try. Its seriously one of the best games I played. And my opinion is just based on the demo I played.
[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you from playing about the first 3 levels of the PC version (I had to stop due to my PC f'ing with the sound) that it literally blew me away.

I haven't yet played the 360 demo, but the full game of F.E.A.R is intense, awesome, and the AI is some of the smartest I've ever seen in an FPS.

I have FEAR combat.. FEAR for the 360 would have to be pretty damn special cause I still am waiting on a dead rising price drop ( I know), am playing Saitns row, have an unpned GRAW and want gears of war... and SC DA... and then there are hte unforseen releases.

[quote name='Halochic']In one part of the demo, you have to climb down a ladder and as you turn around to climb down it, the second you turn around, theres that little girl standing right infront of your face, it was entirely unexpected. Then walking threw a hallway, it changes to this hallway with white walls, and blood all over the walls, when you walk to one end of the hallway the door like disappears.
Release Date? - I beleive it's in Nov., or maybe I am just assuming that because of Gears of Wars release, and Call Of Duty 3?[/quote]

Yeah while playing the ladder part this is what it was for me. "Aahhhh!!! Holy shit! mother F***er!! what the hell!!? Sweet jeezzzuzzz!!!" Then I took a few seconds to regain my composure and clean my shorts. Then I continued the descent and saw the zombie like guy as I turned at the bottom and it was "Holy hell! not again!! Dammit?" Paused check shorts a second time. And then continue to next pants shitting part of the bloody hallway.

Also, if you look on the Gamefly website they have the release date of 11/16/06.

Also for those of you wondering about if it would have multiplayer it is as stated in OXM #59 (Jul 06). It was also stated that F.E.A.R is going to be a Halo-killer.

I don't know about anybody else, but this is the game I am looking most forward to in the next few months.

Okay I thaught for a sec they released it but you meant the demo, so I can download the demo on my dashboard????

Hey good, you guys are finally playing a truly great FPS. This one is leaps and buonds ahead of the typical, run of the mill FPS. It's absolutely phenomenal overall and the actual game is way better than the demo.

[quote name='nickmad']thats an amateur statement. you obviously never played half life 2.[/QUOTE]

Bah, HL2 was great because of the hype surrounding it. I mean, yeah, it was a pretty good FPS, but it wasn't anything really that great. The way the game's levels were set up made it seem as though even Valve knew that the combat wasn't all that entertaining... it's like they basically said "well, let's have a level where you're in a buggy for way too long, a level in a hovercraft, a level with nothing but gravity gun stuff, and a level where you mess around with antlions... maybe then they'll forget the combat." The physics puzzles were stupid and felt completely unnecessary. It was as though Valve just wanted to showcase the physics of Source rather than actually implement them for something meaningful. The puzzles are annoying because they break up the action and they just aren't particularly fun or integral to a game where the emphasis is on shooting.

And that's really the biggest problem with HL2 and most FPS games for that matter... the combat just doesn't feel intense. You'll acknowledge that you're shooting at enemies and the enemies are pretty smart... but you never really feel involved or like you're in the middle of a life or death situation. And that's also why FEAR's a better game -- it has that intensity in the shootouts which makes it exciting. Why devs don't focus more on the absolute most important part of this genre makes absolutely no sense, but there you go.

Point is: FEAR is awesome. It has the combat that FPSes should have but rarely do. Definitely one of the best games of last year and easily the best FPS I've ever played.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I find it funny that you will pay $10 for a 15 min demo, but not $60 for an amazing game. :D[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Also for those of you wondering about if it would have multiplayer it is as stated in OXM #59 (Jul 06). It was also stated that F.E.A.R is going to be a Halo-killer.

ya know...OXM pretty much has to put something Halo-related in every single issue. For example, every time there's a new FPS on the way, the cover says something like "*Insert FPS-name here* -- IS IT TEH HALO KILLAR?1" This month it says "Picture of Master Chief's Face?" on the cover :lol: :roll:

[quote name='Apossum']:lol:

ya know...OXM pretty much has to put something Halo-related in every single issue. For example, every time there's a new FPS on the way, the cover says something like "*Insert FPS-name here* -- IS IT TEH HALO KILLAR?1" This month it says "Picture of Master Chief's Face?" on the cover :lol: :roll:[/QUOTE]

I was going to make that same remark... I've seen "Halo Killer?" next to Darkwatch, GRAW, Timesplitters, FEAR, you name it.... Bottom line is that there will be no Halo killer until someone else figures out a party and matchmaking system that make it as quick and easy to play.

The AI in the FEAR demo was so fantastic that I really am looking forward to this. I may wait for a good deal, just because Gears will be out around the same time. If Gears disappoints I'll hop over to FEAR in a heartbeat. I loved Condemned, and this has that same feel, but with guns. Great demo.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I'm not biting on the hype anytime soon.
[/QUOTE]

There's no need to rely on hype for a game that has been out on PC for a year now. You can just look at PC reviews to see how much people love the game before it comes out on 360.

The gameplay and AI is great, no doubt about it. The environment was outstanding.. but the graphics just.. work on the graphics, Monolith, and i'm sold. The gameplay did not disappoint. The graphics did. I'm hoping they worked on the gameplay before the graphics.. FEAR on the PC is a beast, here's hoping it does great on the 360.

[quote name='Scorch']The gameplay and AI is great, no doubt about it. The environment was outstanding.. but the graphics just.. work on the graphics, Monolith, and i'm sold. The gameplay did not disappoint. The graphics did. I'm hoping they worked on the gameplay before the graphics.. FEAR on the PC is a beast, here's hoping it does great on the 360.[/quote]
Monolith has nothing to do with the 360/PS3 versions. Day 1 Studios are doing the ports. The graphics you see in the demo are the graphics you will get when the games released.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']There's no need to rely on hype for a game that has been out on PC for a year now. You can just look at PC reviews to see how much people love the game before it comes out on 360.[/quote]I was talking about the hype for the 360 version. And, even so, many of the PC games that come to the 360 have a completely different feel, so it's not precise to look at PC reviews for a 360 game.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I was talking about the hype for the 360 version. And, even so, many of the PC games that come to the 360 have a completely different feel, so it's not precise to look at PC reviews for a 360 game.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? Farcry for 360 is a pixel for Pixel port of the PC version :roll:

It looks like FEAR may be out around the same time as Gears of War. I may have to rent it so I don't spend all of my GoW money.

I loved the pc version, is the 360 version different in any way?

As for it being a HALO killer, its a great single player experience, but as far as multiplayer went, it just didnt have the great maps and feel to keep me playing for more then a couple weeks. Halo has an epic HUGE feeling to it and FEAR just had a claustrophobic imited map feel to it.

Unless they work on the multiplayer maps and change the 360 story/weapons, I'll stick to my pc version.

They should push for this to be out before Halloween. I know it wont happen, but it would be great to market it around that time.

I'm just afraid GoW will overshadow this game...much like Halo 2 did to Unreal Championship 2.

[quote name='Velikost']Rent for me. The game is too short to be worth $60 as you can easily beat it in a day.[/QUOTE]

Good point - for you PC folks, how long is the campaign?

[quote name='psychobrawler']Good point - for you PC folks, how long is the campaign?[/quote]

it can be done in 4 hours

You'd have to run through the game really fucking fast to do it in 4 hours. I'd say more like 8 for most people... but those are easily the best 8 hours of FPS gaming you'll play.

1. I should have seperated "Halo-killer" and OXM. It wasn't in OXM. I just can't seem to find the mag it was in.

2. According to many previews and hands-on articles, they have worked on the multiplayer and made it better for the 360.

3. Seriously has there been a 360 demo yet that has been perfect? Every demo I've played has either had shitty gameplay or shitty graphics. And this demo is no exception. The only demo that is close to being perfect is FNR3. And that is only because the game itself is only concentrating on two objects (the fighters). Otherwise every demo has either done one or the other really good. And also not every game released has sucked in the same area that was lacking in the demo.

I thought the graphics were fine.

I haven't seen FEAR running full on a PC though. on the other hand, many 360 games just look like Xbox games but smoother and with more light bloom/shiny textures and a few more polygons. this is about on par with that standard. Gears of War should knock the bar up a few notches and hopefully Ninja Gaiden 2 will totally push the system to it's limits, like it did with the first xbox :)

One thing that always had me pissed and cursing in the PC version and that I did see in the 360 version was that I was always missing out on seeing the scary stuff. It killed the whole emersion aspect of the game for me. I mean like I would even stop and go back and turn my head in the right direction or whatever was needed just to see this one cool clip or whatever. I felt so stupid hearing like a sound and looking all over like a moron and finding that I was looking right when what I wanted to see was left. I wish they would have just grapped my stupid view point and pointed me right at it every time. Put it right in my face and dont make me feel I am missing out becuase I am not fast enough or to stupid to look the right direction. lol

[quote name='nickmad']thats an amateur statement. you obviously never played half life 2.[/quote]

Your point of view is obviously different then mine. There's just something about F.E.A.R, that's completely different from any FPS.

It's a for-sure buy for me. Although I do agree, it's somewhat overwhelming with all these games coming at the sametime.. Gears Of War, Call Of Duty 3, F.E.A.R etc.

[quote name='rodeojones903']No, its a personal opinion. I thought FEAR was better than Half Life 2.[/quote]I also think FEAR was better then HL2.

[quote name='Bazz']I also think FEAR was better then HL2.[/quote]
Agreed, I didn't think much of either HL's.

[quote name='mvp828']
Seriously has there been a 360 demo yet that has been perfect? Every demo I've played has either had shitty gameplay or shitty graphics. And this demo is no exception. The only demo that is close to being perfect is FNR3. And that is only because the game itself is only concentrating on two objects (the fighters). Otherwise every demo has either done one or the other really good. And also not every game released has sucked in the same area that was lacking in the demo.[/QUOTE]

Lost Planet. Far exceeded any expectation I had in both graphics and gameplay...

I'm not too concerned with the graphics. I would prefer they look as good as they can, but I'd rather they keep the AI in tact and have it locked at 30-60 fps for great gameplay. If they have to sacrifice (and I wouldn't think they'd have to on the 360, but what do I know) I'd rather it be in the graphics department. Great graphics don't make great games. Hell, I'd have sacrificed a little detail in Oblivion if I didn't have to wait for all the annoying loads and stuttering framerate when I was traveling through the map.

I can't wait to play FEAR, but I really doubt the mp will be worthy. If it wasn't a must play on line on PC, I just don't think they'll improve it enough to compete with RS:Vegas, SC: Double Agent, Gears of War, or COD3.

[quote name='psychobrawler']I can't wait to play FEAR, but I really doubt the mp will be worthy. If it wasn't a must play on line on PC, I just don't think they'll improve it enough to compete with RS:Vegas, SC: Double Agent, Gears of War, or COD3.[/quote]

Its a direct port, no improvments.

bread's done
Back