Gram Stain help :)

janglypangly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could help me with this question.

How could you differentiate between bacterial pneumonia and viral pneumonia using the Gram stain?

I looked everywhere online and can't find it, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

The most common causes of bacterial pneumonia are Streptococcus pneumoniae, Gram-negative bacteria and "atypical" bacteria. The terms "Gram-positive" and "Gram-negative" refer to the bacteria's color (purple or red, respectively) when stained using a process called the Gram stain. The term "atypical" is used because atypical bacteria commonly affect healthier people, cause generally less severe pneumonia, and respond to different antibiotics than other bacteria.
The types of Gram-positive bacteria that cause pneumonia can be found in the nose or mouth of many healthy people. Streptococcus pneumoniae, often called "pneumococcus", is the most common bacterial cause of pneumonia in all age groups except newborn infants. Another important Gram-positive cause of pneumonia is Staphylococcus aureus. Gram-negative bacteria cause pneumonia less frequently than gram-positive bacteria. Some of the gram-negative bacteria that cause pneumonia include Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Moraxella catarrhalis. These bacteria often live in the stomach or intestines and may enter the lungs if vomit is inhaled. "Atypical" bacteria which cause pneumonia include Chlamydophila pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, and Legionella pneumophila.

I entered this thread half-anticipating a story about some disgusting stain left on the carpet after your grandma came over for a visit. Instead, I walked away mildly enlightened. Thank you.

[quote name='Scobie']I entered this thread half-anticipating a story about some disgusting stain left on the carpet after your grandma came over for a visit. Instead, I walked away mildly enlightened. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

bread's done
Back