Is It Alright For Different Races To Use The "N" Word?

headpiece747

CAGiversary!
Feedback
186 (100%)
I thought this would be a good topic to discussion here instead of the CAGcast thread it started in and his is my first post in this section of the boards.

How it started:
On CAGcast #43, CheapyD yells out, "GOLD CHAIN N....!"

dcfox's response:
[quote name='dcfox']Cheapy,

In the podcast you mentioned how "L" and "R" are pronounced the same in the Japanese. While that is correct, you were mistaken when you said "Row, row" would be "lo, lo". The "R" sound remains the same, it is the "L" that changes. So "La" would be "Ra" so on and so forth, if I'm not mistaken.

Also did you guys drop N word on the show, or am I hearing things?

X[/quote]

CheapyD's response:
[quote name='CheapyD']Regarding the "row, row row" comment, you are correct. I realized right after I said it.

By the way, there is a difference between "nigga" and "nigger", see:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3azWNDMhc[/media][/quote]

My response:
[quote name='headpiece747']Had to bring this up since everyone is overlooking it.

There is no difference if someone uses the word that is not African-American/Black even though that doesn't even justify the words.

Did you actually watch what you are trying to use as your defense? The guy tried to say it with the "a" instead of the "er" and it was offensive to everyone.[/quote]

So my question to everyone is it alright for different races to use the "N" word?

If you were to ask me i would say no but on the other hand it is used so frequently that it seems to have lost all of the meaning it once had and kind of taken on a new meaning. That doesn't mean i would use it or feel comfortable saying it.

[quote name='schuerm26']If you were to ask me i would say no but on the other hand it is used so frequently that it seems to have lost all of the meaning it once had and kind of taken on a new meaning. That doesn't mean i would use it or feel comfortable saying it.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree that it has taken on a new meaning, or several meanings, actually. Part of it is empowerment (turning the original meaning on its head, and using it as an identifying phrase - Damn right I'm a nigger! - that suggests a sense of determination and success, as well as brotherhood, with which to aspire to succeed in spite of that label). Women, far less frequently, use misogyinistic phrases (bitch, cunt) in the same sense.

There's also the derogatroy version, used to separate "legitimate" and "illegitimate" blacks (for lack of a better phrase). This is the version that Chris Rock made into such an excellent piece of standup.

There is, to a far lesser degree, a more negative extension of the "brotherhood" angle, in which the world is used to express solidarity with others who believe themselves to be second-class citizens in the eyes of the nation.

I'm reluctant to think that these connotations are very present in the pop-cultural use of it (of course, rap music comes to mind). Does it mean anything more than every "shit," "fuck," motherfuck," or "bitch" in a rap song? I dunno, frankly.

I don't care for its usage at all, even as a symbolic means of empowerment. I greatly dislike, by comparison, the use of the word by nonblacks, whether in a derogatory sense, or in whatever context Cheapy used it (more celebratory?).

It's like the word "fag," or "gay," in its iterations; no matter how much you want to separate the word's "true meaning" from the context you use it in (those who say something is "gay" when they mean it just sucks), it still communicates a meaning of "better than" with regards to sexual orientation (or, in this case, race).

[quote name='headpiece747']So my question to everyone is it alright for different races to use the "N" word?[/QUOTE]

Like any word...context is the key.

As a white guy, should I say "Tell that ni**er to get out of the restaurant before I eat?" No.

But...would it be acceptable to say, "the way John's been acting, I can see why the ni**er stereotype still exists"? I'd say that's acceptable, even in a mixed-race conversation.

It doesn't only matter what you say, but in what context it's said. There are a lot of words that were once derogatory towards a certain race/religion that have become part of our everyday language, and down the road, the dreaded "N" word will join them.

Have you ever heard the word "paddywagon" in a sentence, and have some Irish person jump up and say he was offended? Probably not.

The "N" word still holds a lot of power, but it's dwindling...partially because the black community started using it themselves. Once you can trivialize a word, it slowly becomes less of a racial slur.

Personally, I try not to use it at all. First off, I'm a dad of a 6 year old, so anything I say is absorbed and reused, so no swearing or racial slurs. Second of all, there's just no call for it. In my area, there are far more white people that fit the stereotype than black. If I'm cut off in traffic, yeah, I'll blurt it out, just like any other sexist/racist word in my vocabulary.

I have plenty of reasons to hate individuals, I don't need racism, that's for lazy people.

For now though, no, it's still not a socially acceptable word for ANY race to use in everyday conversation.

Personally I think it is lame to say "only certain races can use certain words". Context and Intent is what I read.

[quote name='mykevermin']
It's like the word "fag," or "gay," in its iterations; no matter how much you want to separate the word's "true meaning" from the context you use it in (those who say something is "gay" when they mean it just sucks), it still communicates a meaning of "better than" with regards to sexual orientation (or, in this case, race).[/QUOTE]

I disagree while some words can carry a connotation" others have been used so far removed those old definations no longer apply.

I mean look at the word "Dog (or rather dawg)". While calling someone a dog was probably a great insult many years ago, none of that remains when you say "What's up, Dawg". In fact, it is a term on endearment.

Context.

Would I have said "nigga" on a podcast? No.

Was "BIG ASS CHAINS, NIGGA!" backed by any hatred? No.

I could go on a long rant but I always tell myself "just stay out of the Vs. Forum" so Im just gonna keep my opinions to myself.

But as for the context cheapy said the word in I would see no problem with it. Especially if qouting someone.

As long as songs in the Billboard top 10 use it (specifiaclly in the chorus) I don't see a problem.

I very much agree with the idea that context is key, however I think it's equally racist to insist that a word is ok for one race, and not another, as it is to use a racist slurr.

[quote name='usickenme']Personally I think it is lame to say "only certain races can use certain words". Context and Intent is what I read.

I disagree while some words can carry a connotation" others have been used so far removed those old definations no longer apply.

I mean look at the word "Dog (or rather dawg)". While calling someone a dog was probably a great insult many years ago, none of that remains when you say "What's up, Dawg". In fact, it is a term on endearment.[/QUOTE]

And by Myke's logic once a word is used as one of degradation it should never be allowed to be used in any other context. Keep in mind gay use to just mean happy and queer use to mean strange. Keen also means both sharp and neat.
In terms of one race being able to use it and another can't I find it bullshit. Yeah I'm White but when everyone but Whites use it in all countries across the world I think it's unfair especially considering Myke's comment about 2nd class. Some Koreans use it in their music and they're obviously in the majority in their country. It makes me so mad too because I feel like when White and Black start to mesh, or started to connect the Black community using that felt like a barrier and really there should be no barriers because we have so much in common we just don't see.
I mean let's be honest, hustling is so true for White and Black. It doesn't have to apply to either trying to sell drugs on the corner it's just someone working it trying to make their money and trying to stay fed, clothed and sheltered.

you know that has always bothered me, when an african american says to another african american "Whazzz up Nigga????" and there ok with it, I have also seen hispanics saying it to african americans and there were no problems.
Yet if one white non-gang member says that to an african american , all hell breaks loose.

Based on that video and the way the teacher said it, I think he enjoyed himself saying it. Probibly the reason why they haven't fired the teacher yet is because it will be near damned impossible to replace him with someone of his speciality. Good luck finding some college grad to take his job and teach honor's class like that teacher does. I say that the teacher will be under watch from administration for awhile and might have a hard time transfering to another school or position because of this.

Would you concur it created a barrier from progress ITDEFX? Btw it's pleasing to see a non-VS forum poster post here and I hope you do it more often man.

[quote name='ITDEFX']huh?[/QUOTE]

What I stated above about feeling it creates a barrier between Black and White when they were starting to mesh.

There will always be a barrier as long as there are organizations like the NAACP. The people who cry racism are the ones who keep it alive.

[quote name='Sarang01']What I stated above about feeling it creates a barrier between Black and White when they were starting to mesh.[/QUOTE]

where have you been all these years? They have been meshing for years :|

[quote name='DeathDealer']There will always be a barrier as long as there are organizations like the NAACP. The people who cry racism are the ones who keep it alive.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'd have to agree. Yeah, there's still racism in the country, but it's continually groups like the NAACP that bring it to the forefront and try to convince people that we're different.

[quote name='Chacrana']Honestly, I'd have to agree. Yeah, there's still racism in the country, but it's continually groups like the NAACP that bring it to the forefront and try to convince people that we're different.[/QUOTE]

No, they try to convince people that we are *treated* different. Which we are.

racism is still a huge problem in this country. With that word though, I say it once in awhile and never to black people. The problem with that word is that the way you say it is up to interpretation. I mean I am Jewish, and the word Jew could be a negative word to me depending on the way some says it. The only way the N word will be acceptable is when everyone has every so called race in their blood.

bread's done
Back