Lego Star Wars II DS

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
OK, this is driving me crazy. Reviews have been out for the console version of Lego Star Wars II for several days now and, as expected, it is getting high marks. But I didn't NEED reviews of that version - I'd be getting the GC one even if it had the same gameplay as the 1st. The improvements and added depth are great, of course, but I already had a feel for that with the demo.

The PSP version will be pretty much like the console ones so I'm not getting that (now - when I can find it dirt cheap, sure). However, the DS version looked to be a different game but with better graphics (ie, full 3D) than the GBA one. I am intrigued by this and have a preorder for it at EB. However, beyond a brief preview in May on IGN, there has been ABSOLUTELY NO INFORMATION about the DS version of Lego Star Wars II. That has me worried - kind of like a movie that has no advance screenings - usually that means it sucks hard.

I've been checking metacritic and gamerankings for the last several days and no reviews have come up. I figured the Nintendo Power score, if nothing else, would appear (I don't get it any more but was hoping it would be reviewed along with the GC version).

I guess I can always pick it up at EB and if the reviews come out terrible, just return it later. Hopefully it is good and I can play it on my trip next weekend (8+ hours of airplanes, lots of down time at hotel).

FINALLY, one review:

http://darkzero.co.uk/v4/games/review/706/lego-star-wars-ii-the-original-trilogy/ds

7.9/10, not bad...

Let's hope the rest come up a bit higher though.

A slight disappointment in that it DOES seem, from this review, that it is pretty much the same levels as the console game. I was hoping for something completely different like the GBA version of the first Lego Star Wars. But I'll still probably get it if it holds up in other reviews...

I can play it while on my trip next week in parallel with the kids working on the GC one at home :D. Plus Lego Star Wars is the one game my kids go back to again and again (in fact my youngest is playing the PS2 demo right now - he's played it dozens of times, just wait till he gets the real thing tomorrow!). I'm sure they will like to play through it agaiin on the DS even if it is the same as the GC one. So it certainly won't be a waste of money (especially as that is via EB credit I already have).

[quote name='Swingman']Having not played the first one, what was different about the GBA version?[/QUOTE]

The GBA version has an isometric (pseudo-3D) view and has completely different levels. It is basically a different game entirely. I don't know about the GBA version of II though...

I just got my EGM in the mail today - there's a review of the console game (and they give it pretty bad marks - but I've played the demo, they are entirely wrong :D). No mention of the DS one at all that I could tell from a quick glance. However, they reviewed several other DS games that haven't come out yet - Contact, Dragon Quest, Mario Hoops. Pretty low marks all around except that Dragon Quest is game of the month, and Contact is not far behind.

It isn't the best game but it's solid fun. Nothing new, but just funny, end enjoyable.

I mean the first one.

STILL no new reviews. Oh well, I got home with the game today and my son wanted to play the DS version during the short time the TV wasn't available to play the GC version :lol:. So I can't return it now...

It seems OK - I certainly prefer the console version. It seems to have the same levels but they are designed differently.

This really is weird that not only are there no "pro" reviews, there arent even any user reviews. The DS is the hottest platform right now so you'd think they'd get some sort of attention. I really want to buy this game but after getting burned on a blind starfox purchase then I'm not going to jump into this so easily.

BTW, Circuit City has it for $29.99 with a free shirt and Target has it for $34.99 with a $5 gift card.

[quote name='mini.boss']This really is weird that not only are there no "pro" reviews, there arent even any user reviews. The DS is the hottest platform right now so you'd think they'd get some sort of attention. I really want to buy this game but after getting burned on a blind starfox purchase then I'm not going to jump into this so easily.

BTW, Circuit City has it for $29.99 with a free shirt and Target has it for $34.99 with a $5 gift card.[/quote]

There were also no "pro" reviews for Mario Hoops until late yesterday for whatever reason.

I think the reason we're not seeing many reviews for the portable version is because the game is out for every console. I wouldn't think too many people would buy the portable version of this game.

[quote name='banpeikun']is it fun?[/QUOTE]

I've only played it very briefly. It is basically the same as the console games but with worse graphics of course (but not bad for the DS). It was a little glitchy on one level I played (with Obi-Wan falling through platforms and such).

What I like is that while it has the same levels, they are designed differently, so it is not an exact copy of the console game (which is good).

I will probably bring it with me on my trip next week and play it a bunch - so by the middle of next week I can give a much better impression. Right now (while at home) I'm playing the GC version which so far has one GIANT flaw. I posted about this in the GC section if anyone has any ideas - I cannot get it to recognize my old game save for the extra characters.

This game is fantastic. I am having so much fun with it. I just finished the 2 level of Eps. 4. The create a character is really fun too. I recommend this to any one not getting the console one right away (IE me)

[quote name='mickeyp']what is printed on the free shirt? Mickey[/quote]

060910_26_lbYID_4a_DL.JPG

That t-shirt is really awesome.
I've only played it very briefly. It is basically the same as the console games but with worse graphics of course

Are the graphics that bad? I played LSW 1 and don't remember the graphics being spectacular to begin with.

[quote name='espy605']That t-shirt is really awesome.

Are the graphics that bad? I played LSW 1 and don't remember the graphics being spectacular to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Well, on the console versions the graphics are just about as good as you could expect for Lego Star Wars - it doesn't blow you away but the objects look like nice, smooth lego pieces. On the DS it is a lot more jaggy, as expected.

[quote name='mini.boss']BTW, Circuit City has it for $29.99 with a free shirt and Target has it for $34.99 with a $5 gift card.[/quote]

Actually CC has it for $34.99 I just came back from there.

[quote name='io']What I like is that while it has the same levels, they are designed differently, so it is not an exact copy of the console game (which is good). [/QUOTE]

Need some DS titles to play on my trip next week. My brother in law came over last night and we blew through the 360 version so it's good to hear there is a difference in level design.

[quote name='deadite76']Need some DS titles to play on my trip next week. My brother in law came over last night and we blew through the 360 version so it's good to hear there is a difference in level design.[/QUOTE]

I plan to play it extensively starting Sunday on my trip as well. I need a good airplane game that doesn't require a lot of stylus control (thus Star Fox and Mario Hoops are out :D, though I will probably bring both for the hotel).

Any further impressions, folks?????

I'm dying to know!!!!

Is the perspective like in the consoles, or Isometric like the GBA? How does it handle????

Pretty fun game. Impressive with what they have done. Game is pretty buggy
but I don't regret picking it up. Does not compare to the console version at all, but it's great Star Wars on the go.

okay, im on day 2 with this. my initial impression (as someone who doesnt own the console version) was that its great. its fun and entertaining so for starwars fans its a keeper.

But now that ive at day 2 im changing my mind. its still fun but its so mindless. there are minor glitches that dont ruin the game, but overall its just getting old.

So overall i say that its a $20 title and its only for hardcore starwars fans. Anyone paying $35 and aren't big fans will be disappointed. So if possible just rent it.

[quote name='BrerDan']Any further impressions, folks?????

I'm dying to know!!!!

Is the perspective like in the consoles, or Isometric like the GBA? How does it handle????[/QUOTE]

My trip got delayed (damn flight late, would have missed connection bs), but I plan on playing this on the plane tomorrow (Mon) now. Since I've played through the entire console version (just finished the "Super Story" for Ep IV with my son with 5 minutes to spare :D) I'll be able to compare pretty extensively once I've put a few hours into the DS version - so by Monday or Tuesday night I'll have a pretty good feel for it.

But to answer the one question - it is NOT isometric like the GBA version. It is full 3D. You can even (slightly) adjust the camera like in the console version - this is one of the few functions of the touch screen actually.

After more time with the game, I have to say I am disapointed. The bug's & glitches make Return of the Jedi almost unplayable .

OK, there's finally a few reviews on Metacritic - the common theme among them all is the abundance of glitches. Now I'm even more curious to play through it and see how it is :D.

Interesting that they say you have to restart levels because of the glitches. I've had to do that 3 times so far on the Gamecube version as well. In Free Play mode I've had a few levels that never finish - the event you need to end it never occurs (such as the Millenium Falcon's hatch opening). So the glitches aren't just in the DS version!

So far on Metacritic: a 73 from Gamespot, a 70 from Deeko, and a 40 (ouch!) from Gamespy.

Thanks for the replies so far.....

I picked up through the buy 2 get 1 free sale...but I'm tempted to return it (I haven't actually received it yet--it's on its way).

Hmmmmm

[quote name='Scorch']IGN gives it a 3.5. DAMN! .. but Gamespot gave it a 7.3.. WTF?

http://ds.ign.com/articles/733/733339p1.html[/QUOTE]

WOW - a 3.5? I'll have to read that later. I played it on the plane today and I thought it was OK. I got through about half the game in a couple of hours (just finishing the story missions). I had to quit 2 of them though when it seemed I couldn't get the level to end. I'll try them again later and make sure I can get through!

It has a similar level structure to the console game, but with maybe 1 less level per movie (seemed A New Hope was 6 levels on the console and only 5 on the DS). The levels themselves are smaller and simpler than the console ones.

The graphics are good for the DS but glitchy - you see through the walls/ground often and sometimes things disappear on you. But it isn't horrible.

I certainly wouldn't give it a 3.5/10. I'd say the console version is a 9, and the DS version is a 5 or 6. It is a fun diversion but probably not worth the full $35.

Edit - OK, read the IGN review. I have a feeling they knocked a few points because of the buggy multiplayer. I haven't tried that and have no interest in it, so that's OK. I guess that makes my 5 or 6 more in line with their review. Actually, the asteroid level (which they complain about) was pretty well done and probably has the most impressive graphics of the game, and I had fewer glitches during that one (I think I saw through the ground once - really just a camera issue).

If it wasn't for my kids I'd probably play through this and dump it on eBay ASAP. But my son will probably want to play it for the forseeable future so I'll probably have to keep it. Though I'll be kicking myself if it shows up as a $5 clearance game in 6 months :rofl:.

[quote name='io']WOW - a 3.5? I'll have to read that later. I played it on the plane today and I thought it was OK. I got through about half the game in a couple of hours (just finishing the story missions). I had to quit 2 of them though when it seemed I couldn't get the level to end. I'll try them again later and make sure I can get through!

It has a similar level structure to the console game, but with maybe 1 less level per movie (seemed A New Hope was 6 levels on the console and only 5 on the DS). The levels themselves are smaller and simpler than the console ones.

The graphics are good for the DS but glitchy - you see through the walls/ground often and sometimes things disappear on you. But it isn't horrible.

I certainly wouldn't give it a 3.5/10. I'd say the console version is a 9, and the DS version is a 5 or 6. It is a fun diversion but probably not worth the full $35.

Edit - OK, read the IGN review. I have a feeling they knocked a few points because of the buggy multiplayer. I haven't tried that and have no interest in it, so that's OK. I guess that makes my 5 or 6 more in line with their review. Actually, the asteroid level (which they complain about) was pretty well done and probably has the most impressive graphics of the game, and I had fewer glitches during that one (I think I saw through the ground once - really just a camera issue).

If it wasn't for my kids I'd probably play through this and dump it on eBay ASAP. But my son will probably want to play it for the forseeable future so I'll probably have to keep it. Though I'll be kicking myself if it shows up as a $5 clearance game in 6 months :rofl:.[/quote]

Damn. I read these posts after I just got it today...I guess I'll take it back since I haven't opened it.

[quote name='Ecofreak']You'd better check out this video if you're interested in buying it. I get frustrated just from watching it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb1CqL3vVdo

How do you do embedded videos on CAG, anyways?[/QUOTE]

Wow... I played through all the Episode IV and V levels and none of them were like that. The funny thing is that video doesn't show any of the graphics glitches - just a badly designed level for the control scheme :D.

Actually I can't figure out how to get through the 1st level of Return of the Jedi - I keep getting to Han in the carbonite and having nothing to do, but it could just be that I'm missing something.

[quote name='io']Wow... I played through all the Episode IV and V levels and none of them were like that. The funny thing is that video doesn't show any of the graphics glitches - just a badly designed level for the control scheme :D.

Actually I can't figure out how to get through the 1st level of Return of the Jedi - I keep getting to Han in the carbonite and having nothing to do, but it could just be that I'm missing something.[/quote]

Not sure if its similar to the console version but in the console version, there's a area where you can get a Bounty Hunter helmet (not B. Fetts) and you go up to the key pad area press the action button and mission ends. Not sure if that helps you or not.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not sure if its similar to the console version but in the console version, there's a area where you can get a Bounty Hunter helmet (not B. Fetts) and you go up to the key pad area press the action button and mission ends. Not sure if that helps you or not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have Leia with the bounty hunter outfit but I didn't see any keypad there - but I'll click around and see what happens next time I play. I didn't know that though as I didn't actually play that level on the GC - my kids did it :D.

Sorry to pull up such an ooooold topic... I'm wondering what everyone's consensus is now, though, about whether or not to get the DS version or not. I had it on my wishlist, but then saw bad reviews... so I thought about the GBA version, but I see that doesn;t have the character maker :( After seeing what you guys said, I was going to put it back on my wishlist, but then I watched that youtube video and I really dunno anymore... so I'd love to hear what you guys think.

perhaps the GBA version is the way to go, even though it lacks the character maker?

Ash

bread's done
Back