Which of these processors are better?

Thunderscope

CAGiversary!
I am building a somewhat Budget Gaming PC and I wanna know if I should put a AMD Athlon XP 2800 or a Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ with 533 FSB, I am a AMD Fan but I have a feeling the P4 comes out the winner this time but i need to know for sure

I would go for the P4 since its probably a northwood. Its a good core, runs cool too. If you were asking about a P4 prescott vs Athlon 64 I would say Athlon 64 though.

That Athlon -kills- that P4. Destroys it. I have an Athlon XP 2800+ 333FSB myself. It kills the 2.4 533, the 2.53 533, and is a little better than the 2.8 533.

And its immensly cheaper.

It depends on how much performance you're looking for. You'll get more power out of the 800 fsb, but the cpu will be a little more expensive, as will the pc3200 ram. If you're not worried about max performance, then a 533 intel or 333 amd should be fine for you. A 2.4 P4 northwood with an 800 fsb goes for somewhere in the neighborhood of 160, but you could probably get a 2.8 for 10 - 15 more. The barton xp 2800 will only cost about 120, but also has 333 fsb. The 2.4 prescott goes for about 120 and the 2.4 northwood is about 130, both with a 533 fsb. (a 533 fsb is intel marketing talk for a 166 mhz fsb, same as the amd 333 fsb). I have heard things about the prescotts running hot, so if you're planning on overclocking you might want to look into that.
You should take a look on tom's or anandtech for some cpu benchmark tables. that will give you an idea of how they compare.

XP 2800+ for sure. But I'd get a mobile 2800+ and undervolt it for some super cool/quiet computing, or they overclock insanely well if that's your thing.

amd. i have a 2600 right now and am looking into a athlon 64

i heard pentiums are great at video editing and stuff like that. how does amd stack up. i kow when im converting or editing a filei ut uses almost all the cpu's resources and it slows down a lil.

In terms of pure CPU performance the Athlon is well ahead in this case. The performance ratings AMD assigns have been found to be pretty honest so far. The results from a complete system is another story. A lousy motherboard can quickly erase the CPU advantage. You also need to examine the reviews for mobos that fall within your budget for both CPUs.

If you're comparing the CPUs as equal in price, this can be misleading. You need to look for combined CPU motherboard offerings since those can often be the best deals.

[quote name='guyver2077']i heard pentiums are great at video editing and stuff like that. how does amd stack up. i kow when im converting or editing a filei ut uses almost all the cpu's resources and it slows down a lil.[/quote]

they are, if it's your thing, due to the higher FSB. but athlon 64's always beat its intel counterpart in game tests. For example, an Athlon 64 3000+ is as fast as a 3.4 P4 with games, despite being much cheaper. I'd choose an Athlon 64, and just do the video converting whenever you go to sleep.

bread's done
Back