Bread: In or Out of the fridge?!?!

JEKKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
my life was recently changed when I was introduced to Thomas Squares Bagel Bread,

from that moment almost all of my hunger problems had been solved.

how could I have ever known that bread could be the answer!

and it only took me two months to realize it!

moving on...

when u mothasuckas buy your loaves,

do u keep in in or outside the fridge?!?!

I dont know which one I should do~~~~

[quote name='heyyoeddie']You only put bread in the fridge during the summer when stuff spoils more easily -- and only if you're going to use it for toast anyway.[/quote]

COMMIE!!!!

I try to keep the bread out but my parents insist that it goes stale outside so we have to keep it in the fridge. Thats why I always toast my bread.

[quote name='JEKKI']oh shit son! u gotta breadbox?!?!

that's outta my league...[/QUOTE]

It's a fucking BOX. We're not discussing any major appliances, shecky.

Bagel bread? How gimmicky. I hope they use the slogan "same shit, different shape." I'm gonna hold out for bagel hexagons, personally.

i have a breadbox and i keep it in the fridge...i dont have to worry about it getting stale because i eat sandwiches almost every day

I keep it in the fridge. Ever since I moved down South, I quickly learned that you need to keep everything in the fridge or sealed airtight lest you get some little "guests".

I heard Jeffrey Dahmer keeps his bread in the fridge along with the dead bodies. I dont know if he uses baking soda to keep the smells in check........

[quote name='heyyoeddie']You only put bread in the fridge during the summer when stuff spoils more easily -- and only if you're going to use it for toast anyway.[/quote]

It really depends where you live -- it's a factor of temperature and humidity. The more heat and humidity, the faster mold develops.

Fridges are like air conditioning -- they'll keep it cool (which prevents spoilage) but they'll also dry it out (which leads to staleness).

If you eat it every day, and are likely to eat all of it within a few days, then keep it out of the fridge.

If you don't, and don't have a duck to eat your moldy bread, store it in the freezer.

I eat more pita bread than loaves of bread, but the place that sells pita bread is out of the way.
I just buy a ton of pita bread at a time and freeze/refrigerate it. I don't know about bread loaves, but the pita bread comes out just fine, not stale or anything (but it does end up being a bit soggy after freezing it, but you can microwave it out or just let it dry.

If people are buying name brand bread; woder, publix, butternut etc. Then there is no reason to stick it in the fridge or even a breadbox. Of all the things on this earth, I'll never understand the breadbox. Bread that is distributed national is so full or preservatives to keep it fresh.

If I remember correctly people putting bread in the fridge think that the magic of cold will keep the bread fresh longer. Which it won't, nor will sticking bread in a wooden box. Buy a loaf of bread. A real loaf of bread from a small bakery. Put part in the fridge, part in a wooden box, and part in a plastic bag on a counter. Guess which one will last the longest. The one in the plastic bag. Putting cigarettes, batteries etc in the magical cold air will not lengthen the shelf life. Its just plain stupid to think that the fridge can save everything, and or lengthen the life of some products.

[quote name='heyyoeddie']You only put bread in the fridge during the summer when stuff spoils more easily [/QUOTE]

But if you have air condition or central air thats not a problem. The only two reasons I can think of putting bread in the fridge is. If you live down south, and have no air tight containers, or air conditioning. A wooden bread box is not air tight. A plastic tupperware type deal would be ideal but only if you live in the south, and have no air conditioning.

I put processed bread in the fridge, but if I buy like fresh bagels or bread from a store I will keep it out, since I will be prob eatin in the next few days

[quote name='Graystone']If people are buying name brand bread; woder, publix, butternut etc. Then there is no reason to stick it in the fridge or even a breadbox. Of all the things on this earth, I'll never understand the breadbox. Bread that is distributed national is so full or preservatives to keep it fresh. [/quote]

Pretty sure there was bread before preservatives. Also, I make mine fresh so it doesn't have any preservatives in it.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, is Boston in the south now?[/QUOTE]
Well, Bostonians talk all crazy similar to people from the South.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Pretty sure there was bread before preservatives. Also, I make mine fresh so it doesn't have any preservatives in it.[/QUOTE]

Yes there was but what does that have to do with anything? Were not talking about 1920. Were talking about 2006, you are one of the few people that make bread at home. I do it every now and then but its rare occasion. Like I said in my OP the only thing that will keep any bread fresh is it being airtight. A wooden bread box isn't airtight.

I'm hoping to see an all-out flame war about bread. I think I'll start one...

Cochesecochese - Here's my impression of you: "OOOOHHH, look at me, I'm a bread-hippie." Go fuck yourself with a breadstick... one that's full of preservatives.

EDIT: And I'd also like to add... *ahem* fuck anyone that keeps their bread in the fridge.

It looks like graystone is actually right on this one:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/foodscience.asp?foodscienceid=198&bdc=2376&enotes=yes

"According to food scientists, the major reason that bread stales is not moisture loss, but rather a process called retrogradation, in which the starch molecules in the bread crystallize. Retrogradation occurs about six times faster at refrigerator temperatures (36 - 40 degrees) than at room temperature, thereby making the refrigerator the worst choice for bread storage. However, the retrogradation process does slow down significantly when bread is stored below freezing temperatures."

My bread definitely seems to get moldy quicker when it's not in the fridge, but whatever.

And I have a cat that will chew through a bag to chew/lick/eat a loaf of bread and no counter space for a breadbox so I'll probably continue to keep it in the fridge. Easy way to keep her out.

[quote name='Stoneage']Well, Bostonians talk all crazy similar to people from the South.[/QUOTE]

I just moved to Georgia, I guess I should actually update my location....

[quote name='blandstalker']If you don't, and don't have a duck to eat your moldy bread, store it in the freezer.[/QUOTE]

Hands up and amen! Another CAG who *freezes* their bread! Keeping it out in SC is a no-go, and using the fridge makes it go stale way fast (thanks for the science, Wubb!).

Like others have said, living in the south changes your methods of food storage. Roaches own this part of the country and there's nothing you can do about it. Crying won't help.

I'm also fascinated by the fact that whoknows has a duck. Please tell us more about this. Extra points if you keep it bread-related, i.e., any preferences your duck appears to exhibit.

Freezer > microwave > PB+J, PB+Honey, PB+banana, or garlic + basil grilled cheese.

[quote name='zewone']
Who the hell like cold bread? Communists, thats who.[/quote]

wewcome to schitty wok...

buy that shit fresh everytime, everyday.

I keep my bread in the fridge because it take me several weeks to finish a loaf. And I don't want it to go bad leaving in the room temperature.

My family leaves it in the fridge. Bunch of wackos if you ask me. The trick to making the bread less stale is throw it in the microwave for 7 seconds on each side. Best cure for that nasty fridge bread! Makes it soft and warm

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I'm hoping to see an all-out flame war about bread. I think I'll start one...

Cochesecochese - Here's my impression of you: "OOOOHHH, look at me, I'm a bread-hippie." Go fuck yourself with a breadstick... one that's full of preservatives.

EDIT: And I'd also like to add... *ahem* fuck anyone that keeps their bread in the fridge.[/quote]
Oh holy fucking yawn. Are you really so desperate for attention?

bread's done
Back