Any deals on MacBook Pro or Apple.com coupon codes?

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
I'm wanting to get a new laptop, and I've decided to go with a Mac. I can't really make up my mind between a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Does anyone have coupon codes for apple's store? I know about the 10% student discount, but I'm hoping I can get a little more off a $2,000 laptop.

So any coupons or suggestions on weather I should go with a MacBook or the Pro would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am leading towards the Macbook Pro.

Thanks

Is this your first Mac? Apple's not exactly known for their killer discounts. If you want a deal, sometimes college bookstores and other local authorized resellers arrange their own sales, or if you have your heart set on internet coupons, there's www.dell.com. But looking for a coupon at the /Apple store/ is like going to Times Square in search of a saloon.

[quote name='diaeresis']Is this your first Mac? Apple's not exactly known for their killer discounts. If you want a deal, sometimes college bookstores and other local authorized resellers arrange their own sales, or if you have your heart set on internet coupons, there's www.dell.com. But looking for a coupon at the /Apple store/ is like going to Times Square in search of a saloon.[/quote]

Yea this would be my first Mac. I've been looking on Craigslist for a local deal, but I've had a lot of trouble finding one.

I am the service manager at an independent Apple dealer. The best deals are refurbs directly from Apple. They still have the full warranty, (and can be extended with AppleCare), sometimes have been upgraded (larger HD, or more RAM), and are usually in VERY good condition.

Apple Refurbs

As far as which computer to purchase.....depends if you plan on gaming. I have a MacBook Pro and frequently play games on both the Mac and Windows side. The MacBook has a weak intergrated GPU that does not do well with 3D. (Works fine for normal use though)

If you do not plan on gaming then the MacBook is a MUCH better value.

[quote name='Linx']I am the service manager at an independent Apple dealer. The best deals are refurbs directly from Apple. They still have the full warranty, (and can be extended with AppleCare), sometimes have been upgraded (larger HD, or more RAM), and are usually in VERY good condition.

Apple Refurbs

As far as which computer to purchase.....depends if you plan on gaming. I have a MacBook Pro and frequently play games on both the Mac and Windows side. The MacBook has a weak intergrated GPU that does not do well with 3D. (Works fine for normal use though)

If you do not plan on gaming then the MacBook is a MUCH better value.[/quote]

Yea I plan to do some gaming on it. Would a MacBook Pro run a game like FEAR good? Also which screen is better, the regular or glossy?

sign up for their account then place an item and take it off. within a week they will send you out a coupon for 30 off 300 thats the most they will give

[quote name='RawisJericho']Yea I plan to do some gaming on it. Would a MacBook Pro run a game like FEAR good? Also which screen is better, the regular or glossy?[/QUOTE]

I have a very good desktop PC(scored top 2% in microsoft's gaming test) and FEAR stutters graphic wise(like choppy). It makes the game very hard to get into. I think it has to do with the way it was made as my friend has the same problem. I heard the 360 version doesn't stutter and is probably worth investing in.

Of course this is probably not what you're looking to do. My friend has the lowest Macbook Pro model and he is able to play Half-Life 2 on it so it must not be too bad for gaming. I would not think FEAR would run well on it though.

consider waiting for awhile if you can. there are rumors of a Macbook Pro update sometime soon, they might get Intel Core 2 duo processors. I'm holding off until Spring to buy a Macbook pro, I want the new chips and the newest version of OS X included.

Welcome to the world of Apple, where discounts don't apply.

Also, avoid the glossy screen. And for the $2k or under price, don't expect to have a particularly capable video card.

[quote name='alongx']Welcome to the world of Apple, where discounts don't apply.

Also, avoid the glossy screen. And for the $2k or under price, don't expect to have a particularly capable video card.[/QUOTE]

now, i have a mac book pro (go with a student discount, its the only way) and i love the glossy screen.....

If you were a student (like me, as of last year) does the discount still work? I'd like to try, but has anyone who isn't technically a student gotten it to work?

I recently got my first Mac, a 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz 1Gb RAM, 100 GB HD, w/glossy screen (I love the glossy screen). Paid $2000 for mine a few months ago. It's a great machine. I have had none of the problems that have been widely reported on the internet. Mine performs flawlessly.

A few recommendations...
Get at least 1 Gb of Ram (or more if you can afford it).
I recommend the MBP for gaming. Installing Windows is a breeze with bootcamp.
Consider a refurb direct from Apple.com. They have great deals there.
The student discount is usually the best way to go if you want new (they don't require you to prove your student status).

Right now at apple.com they have a refurb 2.0 GHz MBP for $1699 with 512 RAM, 80 GB HD. You can upgrade the RAM yourself pretty easily with RAM from crucial.com, so you might want to go that route.
That's a heck of a deal.

[quote name='alongx']Welcome to the world of Apple, where discounts don't apply.

Also, avoid the glossy screen. And for the $2k or under price, don't expect to have a particularly capable video card.[/QUOTE]

Some people like the glossy screen, some people don't. People have said that the glossy screen gives off too much of a reflection when in direct sunlight and makes it diffucult to see what's on the screen. I don't usually bring my MBP with me when I go places, so I can't report on how severe or minor a problem it is. On the other side though, a glossy screen gives truer colors, meaning more deep blacks and whites etc. So it is up to you to weight the pros and cons. I personally love my glossy screen.

Damn, Macs are expensive.

consider waiting for awhile if you can. there are rumors of a Macbook Pro update sometime soon, they might get Intel Core 2 duo processors. I'm holding off until Spring to buy a Macbook pro, I want the new chips and the newest version of OS X included.

Something new is always around the corner. With computers, the best time to buy is right before you actually need it. Buying it too soon you miss out on new technology, buying it too late you don't have it when you actually need to use it.

Rudy-

I bought my Powerbook in 2003 in Glendale, CA using my student ID (graduated in '02). I received no problems other than a few raised eyebrows and non-threatening questions about why I was in California when I went to school in Florida. They made a photocopy of the ID, but that was all. I didn't have to bring in transcripts and they didn't have to confirm it. Granted this was three years ago, so ask in-store to see if the policy has changed. Also, it may behoove you if your ID doesn't have an expiration date on it.
If at all possible, you may want to hold off until the "spring term" as Apple runs promotions throwing in an ipod with the purchase of a laptop. I believe the fall special is now over. Just periodically check the website or sign up on the mailing list.

bread's done
Back