Wacked out New Jersey!!! Govener McGreevey Announces he's gay.

I was just going to post this, so here is what I was going to say... :p

Holy ****, I was watching the news and they said the Govenor of NJ was going to resign because of "personal reasons" aka an affair.

Then he said something shocking...

"My truth is, I'm a gay American."

This is with his second wife standing next to him, at least one of his kids in the room with his parents there and he is telling the nation in front of everyone saying that he is gay and had a gay affair. I was shocked and almost fell to the floor.

More here....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,128836,00.html

Now as a gay man I wish he didn't resign but there seems to be more to it than him having an affair with a gay. Clinton had an affair with a pig and he didn't resign so it's just... wow...

So there you have it. All Democrats are bad people.

I'm just waiting for PAD to go apeshit over this one. :roll:

Sounds like he also had some controversies surrounding his fund-raising schemes.
Weird that it took him this long to realize he was gay.

There's going to be more gay people in politics in the future. Maybe in 30 to 40 years from now, there is going to be a gay president. Ha! Can you imagine?

There is already a group of gay republicans called the Log Cabin Republicans. I'm sure you can do a google search on that.....

I actually just saw the conference and feel horrible for his family and him. I don't have a problem with any public official being gay. If that's who the public chooses for the representative, senator or governor that's fine. I woudln't vote for or against someone based on their sexuality.

The issue he apparently resigned over was that he was under threat of blackmail since he was in the closet. That kind of puts a whole other level to his troubles. I truly feel horrible for his current wife, that is a type of public humiliation I don't think any person should have to endure. To have to tell the entire country your marriage was a front? Wow, just.... wow.

This is a mess I never would have expected, I mean, who did? At least the people of NJ will have a chance to elect somebody soon. Hopefully this some good can come from this.

The people can't vote for another governor until next year, he planned it this way, that's why he is stepping down on November 15th.

He was up to other things and was going to be sued and things were just going to get worse for him so he stepped down to be with his family through it I guess. But two wives?! I mean you think he would have realized it after the first.

The "Log Cabin Republicain Party" is pretty much dead, after the wacko President came out and basicly said "We hate gays, see you in hell." The party fell apart. Some States even said they don't want them because they don't support the Republican views and that they are not welcome to the National Conventain.

So much for Bush's "Bringing people together" and "Gay marriage is a State right".

[quote name='Xevious']There's going to be more gay people in politics in the future. Maybe in 30 to 40 years from now, there is going to be a gay president. Ha! Can you imagine?[/quote]

If there hasn't already been one, deep in the closet.....

[quote name='Xevious']There is already a group of gay republicans called the Log Cabin Republicans. I'm sure you can do a google search on that.....[/quote]

LOL! No wonder why my coworker was calling my manager a Log Cabin Republican.

(I have nothing against gays, I just think it's stupid of me not to have figured that out myself.)

I find it odd that McGreevey had the balls to come out of the closet, but not to continue his term. I believe there's more to the issue that's being covered up.

Yes, I'm about to tear New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevey and the New Jersey Democrats a new one. Not for the reason any of you may think though. I applaud anyone in such a high profile position for having the courage to come clean about who they really are, that takes guts. To admit you're gay though under pressure of being sued for sexual harassment to the tune of $5 million by a 33 year old foreign national who you appointed to head up your state's homeland security position though is a political cover. In other words, Governor McGreevey is hiding behind what he hopes will be a rallying cry for gay groups; a state governor outed and forced to resign as a result.

It's a smoke screen and an ugly one at that. Now I will support the rights of any two adult Americans to share they sexuality as they see fit in the privacy of their bedroom. I don't condone or support sodomy laws, making adultery a legal offence, making it a crime for unmarried couples to live together or any such puritanical legacy legislation from days gone by. On the other hand I draw my line in the sand at legalizing gay marriage and bigamy.

That being said Jim McGreevy does an extreme disservice to the estimated 275 openly gay elected officials who ran as out of the closet politicians. He didn't feel the need to level with his family, his party, his staff and arguably most importantly the people of New Jersey. So what is his legacy? Well the attempt is to frame it that the governor had to resign because he was gay.

Have the headlines been "McGreevey Resigns Under Threat of Sexual Harassment Suit", "McGreevey Resigns for Adulterous Affair", or "New Jersey Governor Resigns Under Homeland Security Flap"? No, the press headlines almost everywhere you look are "I Am a Gay American". This will hold on Friday the 13th August, 2004 and through the weekend. Upon closer examination as this story unfolds between now and November 15th, when the governor officially steps down, the sexuality aspect of this story will slip into the shadows.

The truth of this story is incredibly ugly and that's just at first glance. The future governor meets Golan Cipel, an Israeli national in 2000, a year before he is elected to his present office, and brings him to the United States. That year the New Jersy Democratic State Committee pays his $1,100 INS registration fees and then gives him a job.

"Then he was hired by Charles Kushner, a real estate developer and top McGreevey fundraiser who recently was indicted on charges of attempting to obstruct a federal investigation of his political contributions.

In February 2002, McGreevey tapped Cipel to be the state's terrorism czar. Cipel stepped down from the job a month later after lawmakers questioned his qualifications for the $110,000-a-year post, and the lack of a background check."
USA Today August 13, 2004

"But the federal government refused to give Cipel a security clearance to review sensitive material because he was not a U.S. citizen. Cipel resigned in March of that year, but McGreevey retained him at the same salary as a "policy counselor." Administration officials never explained exactly what he did." Philadelphia Inquirer August 13, 2004

Ouch. So the people of New Jersey were going to be protected by the gay lover of the governor without proper qualifications? I know that seemingly every state governor rewards contributors, friends and even their mistresses or lovers with state government jobs. That in itself isn't so shocking or even newsworthy to me. That it was the state's terroism czar, yes, that makes this scandal worth something. Especially in a state like New Jersey which has been mentioned specifically in terrorism alerts publicly recently. More than likely privately the state has received numerous private threat notices, this was no job to award someone for services or favors rendered.

The last ugly straw as far as this writer is concerned is the timetable for resignation, November 15th. Done purposefully so there would be no statewide office up for grabs on the date of the Presidential election November 2nd. What exacerbates the outrage voters of all stripes should have is that New Jersey currently has no Lieutenant Governor. The highest executive office in the state will now be filled by Richard Codey(D), President of the New Jersey senate who was unelected on any slate for statewide office. This is like the situation that lead to Gerald Ford becoming President after Spiro Agnew and Richard Nixon resigned, too strange for words.

Did the Governor do the honorable thing and step down immediately and allow the people of New Jersey to select his successor in as timely a fashion as possible? Of course not. The party apparatchik, not wanting New Jersey to become a swing state or a referrendum on the Democratic party, took the current scandal out of the hands of the people this election. Do I think they consulted with the DNC? Perhaps, thought I don't think the DNC had anything to do with the timetable for the resignations effective date. I believe the state Democratic Committee members wanted to make the best of a horrible situation and now the people of New Jersey are stuck with a weak and ineffective governor for a year.

"I am a gay American." this is not the case. It has not been the hallmark of any gay man or woman I've known to hide their sexuality until caught or accused of gross violations of personal, professional or public trust and then claim victim status. The gay people I've come across, know and have loved were not dishonest people living questionable lives. They were normal people who happened to be gay. Governor McGreevey is the equivilent of a minority caught with a kilo of coke a handgun with no serial numbers who got busted by white cops and then cries racism.

There is no martyrdom for this man and no group or individuals should come to his defense because he's gay or more accurately bisexual. His behavior as the Chief Executive of New Jersey has been reprehensible and now he wants history to forget that and remember that he stepped down because he was gay. I'm sorry governor, that's not going to wash. This was never an issue about you being gay and hopefully it never will be. This is pure political corruption, nothing more nothing less.

Sources: USA Today.com "N.J. governor quits, says he's gay"
Philadelphia Inquirer "McGreevey Resigns"

It is possible he is resigning for other reasons. Apparently there are investigations into his fund raising. Time will tell.

On the way in to work this morning I just heard several of the facts that PAD touched on earlier in this thread.
How the hell do you hire a terrorism czar for $110k/year and wave a background check on him? I think we will be hearing more nasty details within the next few days.

Excellent post PAD. I think you've summed up the situation nicely in most respects. Too bad the legislature doesn't kick that bum out ASAP to allow for gubernatorial elections in November.

[quote name='David85']PAD you really are one big dumb shaq-fu.[/quote]

I'll take that as an extreme compliment that I hit the truth right on and you can't handle it.

Thank you.

[quote name='David85']PAD you really are one big dumb shaq-fu.[/quote]

Some free advice: saying things like the above quoted material go absolutely no distance whatsoever to convincing any thinking human being of anything. Why not try some real arguments backed up with facts and well-reasoned opinions next time?

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Yes, I'm about to tear New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevey and the New Jersey Democrats a new one. Not for the reason any of you may think though. I applaud anyone in such a high profile position for having the courage to come clean about who they really are, that takes guts. To admit you're gay though under pressure of being sued for sexual harassment to the tune of $5 million by a 33 year old foreign national who you appointed to head up your state's homeland security position though is a political cover. In other words, Governor McGreevey is hiding behind what he hopes will be a rallying cry for gay groups; a state governor outed and forced to resign as a result.

It's a smoke screen and an ugly one at that. Now I will support the rights of any two adult Americans to share they sexuality as they see fit in the privacy of their bedroom. I don't condone or support sodomy laws, making adultery a legal offence, making it a crime for unmarried couples to live together or any such puritanical legacy legislation from days gone by. On the other hand I draw my line in the sand at legalizing gay marriage and bigamy.

That being said Jim McGreevy does an extreme disservice to the estimated 275 openly gay elected officials who ran as out of the closet politicians. He didn't feel the need to level with his family, his party, his staff and arguably most importantly the people of New Jersey. So what is his legacy? Well the attempt is to frame it that the governor had to resign because he was gay.

Have the headlines been "McGreevey Resigns Under Threat of Sexual Harassment Suit", "McGreevey Resigns for Adulterous Affair", or "New Jersey Governor Resigns Under Homeland Security Flap"? No, the press headlines almost everywhere you look are "I Am a Gay American". This will hold on Friday the 13th August, 2004 and through the weekend. Upon closer examination as this story unfolds between now and November 15th, when the governor officially steps down, the sexuality aspect of this story will slip into the shadows.

The truth of this story is incredibly ugly and that's just at first glance. The future governor meets Golan Cipel, an Israeli national in 2000, a year before he is elected to his present office, and brings him to the United States. That year the New Jersy Democratic State Committee pays his $1,100 INS registration fees and then gives him a job.

"Then he was hired by Charles Kushner, a real estate developer and top McGreevey fundraiser who recently was indicted on charges of attempting to obstruct a federal investigation of his political contributions.

In February 2002, McGreevey tapped Cipel to be the state's terrorism czar. Cipel stepped down from the job a month later after lawmakers questioned his qualifications for the $110,000-a-year post, and the lack of a background check."
USA Today August 13, 2004

"But the federal government refused to give Cipel a security clearance to review sensitive material because he was not a U.S. citizen. Cipel resigned in March of that year, but McGreevey retained him at the same salary as a "policy counselor." Administration officials never explained exactly what he did." Philadelphia Inquirer August 13, 2004

Ouch. So the people of New Jersey were going to be protected by the gay lover of the governor without proper qualifications? I know that seemingly every state governor rewards contributors, friends and even their mistresses or lovers with state government jobs. That in itself isn't so shocking or even newsworthy to me. That it was the state's terroism czar, yes, that makes this scandal worth something. Especially in a state like New Jersey which has been mentioned specifically in terrorism alerts publicly recently. More than likely privately the state has received numerous private threat notices, this was no job to award someone for services or favors rendered.

The last ugly straw as far as this writer is concerned is the timetable for resignation, November 15th. Done purposefully so there would be no statewide office up for grabs on the date of the Presidential election November 2nd. What exacerbates the outrage voters of all stripes should have is that New Jersey currently has no Lieutenant Governor. The highest executive office in the state will now be filled by Richard Codey(D), President of the New Jersey senate who was unelected on any slate for statewide office. This is like the situation that lead to Gerald Ford becoming President after Spiro Agnew and Richard Nixon resigned, too strange for words.

Did the Governor do the honorable thing and step down immediately and allow the people of New Jersey to select his successor in as timely a fashion as possible? Of course not. The party apparatchik, not wanting New Jersey to become a swing state or a referrendum on the Democratic party, took the current scandal out of the hands of the people this election. Do I think they consulted with the DNC? Perhaps, thought I don't think the DNC had anything to do with the timetable for the resignations effective date. I believe the state Democratic Committee members wanted to make the best of a horrible situation and now the people of New Jersey are stuck with a weak and ineffective governor for a year.

"I am a gay American." this is not the case. It has not been the hallmark of any gay man or woman I've known to hide their sexuality until caught or accused of gross violations of personal, professional or public trust and then claim victim status. The gay people I've come across, know and have loved were not dishonest people living questionable lives. They were normal people who happened to be gay. Governor McGreevey is the equivilent of a minority caught with a kilo of coke a handgun with no serial numbers who got busted by white cops and then cries racism.

There is no martyrdom for this man and no group or individuals should come to his defense because he's gay or more accurately bisexual. His behavior as the Chief Executive of New Jersey has been reprehensible and now he wants history to forget that and remember that he stepped down because he was gay. I'm sorry governor, that's not going to wash. This was never an issue about you being gay and hopefully it never will be. This is pure political corruption, nothing more nothing less.

Sources: USA Today.com "N.J. governor quits, says he's gay"
Philadelphia Inquirer "McGreevey Resigns" [/quote]

Bottom line is that I believe he hired the guy for the Terrorist Czar because it was open, nothing more, nothing less. PAD you know and I know these positions can sometimes mean NOTHING to Politicians. I mean they're POLITICIANS for crying out loud!
Also do you REALLY think his wife was surprised? If she was I feel extremely sorry for her but we all know there are marriages of political convience, who's to say this wasn't one. I mean look at FDR and his wife who was rumored to be a Lesbian, also I honestly don't think Hillary gave a shit that Clinton had an affair. Political marriages have gone on and will continue to go on. Granted I think it's disgusting not to use marriage for the purpose of which it's intended but the name has been abused time and time again.
Btw you'd probably let a Republican get away with this shit, that's all I need to say.

[quote name='elprincipe'][quote name='David85']PAD you really are one big dumb shaq-fu.[/quote]

Some free advice: saying things like the above quoted material go absolutely no distance whatsoever to convincing any thinking human being of anything. Why not try some real arguments backed up with facts and well-reasoned opinions next time?[/quote]

I have agrued with people like him numberous times, it's not worth it because in the end they will just go. "Well God doesn't want it", even through they have no fucking clue what God wants.

Bottom line is that I believe he hired the guy for the Terrorist Czar because it was open, nothing more, nothing less. PAD you know and I know these positions can sometimes mean NOTHING to Politicians.

Then you'd be extremely wrong. It's been widely circulated that former FBI head Louis Freeh offered to take the position for free.

After McGreevey made Cipel his homeland-security adviser, Republican state legislators and statehouse reporters began squawking and looking a little closer. McGreevey had touted Cipel's diplomatic and military background. It turned out that Cipel had served a stint as a lieutenant in the Israeli Navy (all Israelis must do military duty), and his diplomacy consisted of writing press releases for the Israeli Consulate in New York. Given the timing and circumstances, the choice of Cipel was preposterous. New Jersey lost almost 900 citizens on 9/11. The security adviser to New York Gov. George Pataki is Jim Kallstrom, the former head of the FBI's New York office. In New Jersey, former FBI director Louis Freeh reportedly offered to serve as security adviser—for free.
Link

David85, did you read one thing I wrote? It is SO obvious you never did. I never mentioned one thing that was against homosexuals or homosexuality. Read what I wrote again before you look like a bigger ass than you already do.

bread's done
Back