Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2)

-Never4ever-

CAGiversary!
Feedback
107 (100%)
Original Link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R60133.html

Note: Make no mistake about it, I am steve d over on gamefaqs. I use to frequent various boards there, but stopped late jan when I discovered this fine site. Need proof? Just look at steve d's profile, which will have all the proof neccesary.

Now onto the review, enjoy!

"The Virtua Fighter series has always been regarded as the forefront of 3-D Fighters. The bar by which all others are measured, you could say and Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is no different. Featuring an abundance of new modes and features, and a cost-friendly $20 Manufacture’s Suggested Retail Price, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is a Fighting Game fan's wet dream.

As its name implies, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution isn't a direct sequel, but rather an ''evolution'' of Virtua Fighter 4. The Gameplay remains relatively unchanged, some moves have been added, some issues have been addressed, but otherwise the gameplay is still identical to Virtua Fighter 4, but now wait a minute, that sure isn't a bad thing as Virtua Fighter 4 is one of, if not the deepest fighters ever.

What is new is the addition of two new fighters, Goh and Brad Burns, both of which bring about a whole new style. While they both look a little out of place, their addition is a welcomed one.

For those of you who have never played Virtua Fighter 4 or its predecessors, the Virtua Fighter series is all about depth, the likes of which no Fighter came before could match. Learning about all the techniques, moves, combos, and styles of an individual fighter (there’s 15 all together) can take months, if not years! Luckily Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution sports one of the best, ifs not the best training modes ever seen in a Fighter. After a few hours in the tutorial it’s easy to see how deep, rewarding, and most importantly, fun Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is.

A Fighting game can't rely on its Fighting engine alone, it needs something that can engulf the player in it. For Virtua Fighter 4 it was the wildly addicting Kumite mode, and true to its title, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution has the mind-blowing-ly addicting ''Evolved'' form: Quest Mode. In this mode you chose a Fighter and then travel to different arcades, challenging the local players their till you can enter a tournament. Unlocking and beating the tournament for each arcade not only unlocks more areas, but also nets you cash, which in turn can be used to purchase a staggering amount of virtual memorabilia. Theirs everything from video's of real life Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution top tournament players, to clothing items that can dress up your character, giving him/her some distinction. What really buts this mode over is the AI, it's very smart, hardly predictable, and modeled after real life players! No two fighters in Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution's Quest mode fights the same. In addition to the realistic AI quest mode offers up different goals, like get a 15 hit combo off an opponent or defeat a certain character a certain number of times. Not only that but most tournament feature distinct ''gimmicks'', like extra damage for slamming your opponent into the ground, or my favorite, the vampire matches. In this type of match both participants start with half their health for every hit you connect with your health goes up, and the same for your opponent, creating a sort of tug-o-war. It variety like special goals and match types that keep quest mode fresh, despite the time put into it.

When Virtua Fighter 4 was first realized it was a great looking game that was unfortunately held back by some very bad Anti-Aliasing, which gave the game's graphics a jagged look. Thankfully AM2 (the game's Developer) fixed the problem and boy-howdy does it look better. Featuring crisp detailed graphics and easily the most fluid animations seen in a game, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is head and shoulders above the rest.

The in game music is most comprised of generic rock that's generic at best. Even though its mediocre at best, it gets the job done and fits in with the game. The sound effects are also nothing special, but they too, get the job done.

There are some drawbacks, most notably the removal of the AI learning feature from Virtua Fighter 4. In this mode you would teach an AI ''dummy'' how to fight by using the best possible method: beating the tar out of it. It was a fun little mode that sadly has been omitted from Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. Another problem is the save method. Rather than save each quest mode data separately, it saves them all together in one file, meaning the only way you can face other friends/foes with quest characters is if they saved their data on your Memory Card, which more often than not, they didn't. The omission of said features isn’t major problems, just the little I could find wrong with Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

Virtua Fighter: Anniversary Edition Mini Review
A neat bonus for US gamers is the Addition of Virtua Fighter: Anniversary Edition. This mode is available right from the start and is featured in the options menu under special. This is the original Virtua Fighter that was released with the Sega Saturn when it launched in 1995, now updated with all the characters from Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, as well as sharper resolution and now sporting a 60 fps speed. Virtua Fighter: Anniversary Edition lacks sidestepping, tech rolls, and counter attacks amongst others. This changes the way you play the game significantly and the additions of all the Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution characters only further confuses things. In one aspect Virtua Fighter: Anniversary Edition is Virtua Fighter ''evolved'', in another it’s like a whole new game. This feature definitely lengthens Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution's already long expected life span.

Unfortunately Virtua Fighter: Anniversary Edition is a little lacking, mode wise. There's the basic Arcade and versus modes, that's it. Then again the original Virtua Fighter didn't even have a Versus mode! Virtua Fighter: Anniversary Edition was never meant to be anything more than and side show and quite frankly that’s all it needs to be (because of that i've opted not to give it a score).

Closing Comments:
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution has countless hours of fun at your disposal. Between learning the ropes and the extensive quest mode, it'll be months before you exhaust everything to do in this game and if you got friends (you DO have friends, right?) the two-Player modes will only extend the life span of Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. Simply put, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution may not be perfect, but it's as close as it gets.

Scores:
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics & Sound: 9/10
Control: 10/10
Lasting Appeal: 10/10

OVERALL: 10/10 (Not an average)"

This was posted over 11 months ago. I had written it 2 weeks after recieving it.

After nearly a year I can safely say that VF4: EVO still desearves that score. The Greatest fighter on any system, at a $20 price tag? No doubt about it, VF4: evo is damn near perfection.

VF4 is def. an amazing game. I plan on picking up another copy to replace the one stolen from me in the next day or so.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']VF4 is def. an amazing game. I plan on picking up another copy to replace the one stolen from me in the next day or so.[/quote]

stolen? how'd that happen.

I'm a big fan of VF4. I played it constantly when it came out. I got Evo., but I didn't put the same amount of time into it. Still I'd rate VF4 and Evo at the top of my list as far as fighting games go.

[quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='CaseyRyback']VF4 is def. an amazing game. I plan on picking up another copy to replace the one stolen from me in the next day or so.[/quote]

stolen? how'd that happen.[/quote]

sister had a party and let her friends into my room. I was on vacation at the time

[quote name='Trakan']How does VF4 compare to SCII and MK:DA?[/quote]

It is a lot less fast paced, and a more strategic and defensive game.

All three are good, but VF4:Evo is much better IMO.

Yeah I like VF4 more than MK:DA by a large margin. SC2 is a closer battle but VF4 gets the nod because it's less button mashing and more strategy. Not that SC2 is bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just hate it when a scrub keeps hitting buttons and something amazing happens. That seldom occurs in VF4.

I've just started VF: Evo, and I'm having some trouble getting the hang of things (currently doing Training Mode). Any tips?

[quote name='Magician']I've just started VF: Evo, and I'm having some trouble getting the hang of things (currently doing Training Mode). Any tips?[/quote]

Drop out of school, quit your job, ignore personal hygene.

This game deserves nothing less than complete devotion.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='CaseyRyback']VF4 is def. an amazing game. I plan on picking up another copy to replace the one stolen from me in the next day or so.[/quote]

sister had a party and let her friends into my room. I was on vacation at the time[/quote]

It's been mentioned in a couple threads. It was a really shitty thing that happened. Has your sister made any sort of reparations yet?

[quote name='Magician']I've just started VF: Evo, and I'm having some trouble getting the hang of things (currently doing Training Mode). Any tips?[/quote]

Some characters are harder to use than others. I suggest using Pai or Jacky first to get the hang of things.

[quote name='Espanto']hmm. Well, I guess I'll stop sitting on the fence with this one.[/quote]

If people are looking for this one they've been popping up at Targets in the clearance section for under 10 dollars.

[quote name='cmdryuk']
If people are looking for this one they've been popping up at Targets in the clearance section for under 10 dollars.[/quote]

Sweet. I'll be keeping an eye out. I think I saw it pretty cheap at Blockbuster, too. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='CaseyRyback']VF4 is def. an amazing game. I plan on picking up another copy to replace the one stolen from me in the next day or so.[/quote]

sister had a party and let her friends into my room. I was on vacation at the time[/quote]

It's been mentioned in a couple threads. It was a really shitty thing that happened. Has your sister made any sort of reparations yet?[/quote]

yea I got a ton of money as payback.

like 300 bucks

Virtual Fighter is a great series... I remember the first time I played the original, it's gotten a hell of a lot better.

I'm going to pick up evolution some time soon, it's a GH title which is marvelous.

I'll admit to never playing Virtual Fighter. I find it a bit unjust to compare it to SCII and MK cause the style is quite a bit different no? How does it VF compare to Tekken? I've always enjoyed it the arcade or whenever I played it at a friends, so will I like VF too? I may just give in and pick it up, still a whole lot at my TRU, all green tagged.

IMHO VF kicks the crap out of Tekken. I admit to being biased, but VF sticks to reality and is deep...like Mariana Trench deep.

[quote name='Trakan']I'd pick it up at TRU or Target if I could find it w/o the damn GH logo on it.....[/quote]

It was never made without a GH logo. It was GH from its release

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Trakan']I'd pick it up at TRU or Target if I could find it w/o the damn GH logo on it.....[/quote]

It was never made without a GH logo. It was GH from its release[/quote]

Whoa, didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me. I will pick it up now. :oops:

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Trakan']I'd pick it up at TRU or Target if I could find it w/o the damn GH logo on it.....[/quote]

Whoa, didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me. I will pick it up now. :oops:[/quote]

No problem. The more people that buy the game means there is more of a shot of Fine tuned coming to America

I guess I'll give it a shot. Doesn't seem as much of a "pick up and play" game like Tekken, but I'm in for something harder. I remember seeing VF a couple times in the arcade thinking it was too slow but now I'll give it second chance since its cheap at TRU.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Trakan']I'd pick it up at TRU or Target if I could find it w/o the damn GH logo on it.....[/quote]

Whoa, didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me. I will pick it up now. :oops:[/quote]

No problem. The more people that buy the game means there is more of a shot of Fine tuned coming to America[/quote]

Amen..I'm dying for that game to come over here. -sigh- If only there was a online version :/ I got to admit though, the AI you face on EVO can get pretty intense...

Hey Never4Ever your sig is from the first episode from family guy right>? I remember that exact snippet I cracked up so damn hard for that Kool-Aid skit. Thanks for that memory. Well I have to open up my VF4 Evolution soon. Is there any major differences of this game versus VF4 (the original)?

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='Magician']I've just started VF: Evo, and I'm having some trouble getting the hang of things (currently doing Training Mode). Any tips?[/quote]

Some characters are harder to use than others. I suggest using Pai or Jacky first to get the hang of things.[/quote]

Thanks lot. I've been jumping around trying to find a beginner-friendly character (been using Lion the most). Looks like Jacky might fit my tastes.

[quote name='Trakan']Thanks CaseyRyback. I picked up VF4 for 10 bucks today at Target on clearance.[/quote]

No problem. It is a great game and every PS2 owner should have it

[quote name='Magician'][quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='Magician']I've just started VF: Evo, and I'm having some trouble getting the hang of things (currently doing Training Mode). Any tips?[/quote]

Some characters are harder to use than others. I suggest using Pai or Jacky first to get the hang of things.[/quote]

Thanks lot. I've been jumping around trying to find a beginner-friendly character (been using Lion the most). Looks like Jacky might fit my tastes.[/quote]

I used Jacky in VF4, then I switched to Brad for Evo. I just go with the style I like best and don't really worry about how easy they are to use.

Personally I'm a Shun Di fan. He's pretty hard to figure out initially, but his variety of moves can confuse a lot of people. When I'm not playing Shun I usually go with Lau.

I always thought Jacky and Pai were for beginners. So I wanted to start with a character that felt hard to use, but once mastered he flows like water. So I got really good with Akira now getting better with Brad. Akira is just a complete power house, his only down fall is lack of kicks or punches that can hit sidesteping people. He's pretty much just punches and kicks strait on.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Trakan']Thanks CaseyRyback. I picked up VF4 for 10 bucks today at Target on clearance.[/quote]

No problem. It is a great game and every PS2 owner should have it[/quote]

Same here, eevry person that has ever even considered playing a 3d fighter needs to buy VF4:Evo.

I just got a pelican universal arcade stick from Gamestop for $50 and let me tell you, nothing beats playing one of your favorite fighters (or any fighter for that matter) with this behemoth. I recomend it to any hardcore (or hardcore-wannabe, like me ;)) fighting fan.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I always thought Jacky and Pai were for beginners. So I wanted to start with a character that felt hard to use, but once mastered he flows like water. So I got really good with Akira now getting better with Brad. Akira is just a complete power house, his only down fall is lack of kicks or punches that can hit sidesteping people. He's pretty much just punches and kicks strait on.[/quote]

Akira can definitely own if you know how to use him. Personally, I'm clueless. That's something i need to work on...actually I haven't played this in a while and should. I'm just scared I'll be addicted again.

bread's done
Back