NBA 2K7 Thread (*Updated 10/6 with manual roster moves)

SteveMcQ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Reviews
IGN 8.3
Gamespot 8.2
Operation Sports 10/10
Gamepro NBA 2K7 vs. NBA Live 07 Comparison
IGN Insider Video 'Grudge Match NBA 2K7 vs. NBA Live 07 (subscription required)

Online CAG Leagues
NBA 2K7 Draft League (12 players)
CAG NBA 2K7 League 2 (currently signing up for interested players)

Marketplace Content
Reelmaker (400 points)

Roster Update
Atlanta
- C John Edwards
+ C Lorenzen Wright (FA)
+ PG Lionel Chalmers (FA)

Boston

Charlotte
- SF Jumaine Jones
+ C Jake Voskuhl (FA)

Chicago
- PG Howard Eisley

Cleveland
+ PF Brandon Hunter (FA)
+ SG David Wesley (Hou)
+ C Scot Pollard (Ind)

Dallas
- C Pavel Podkolzin
+ SF Ndudi Ebi (FA)

Denver
- SF Ruben Patterson
+ C Jamal Sampson (FA)
+ PF Joe Smith (Mil)
+ PG Anthony Carter (FA)
+ SG Dermarr Johnson (FA)

Detroit

Golden State
- SG Devin Brown
+ SG Dajuan Wagner (FA)
+ SG Dijon Thompson (Pho)
+ SF Matt Barnes (FA)

Houston
+ SF Scot Padgett (FA)
+ SG Bonzi Wells (Sac)
+ SG Casey Jacobsen (FA)
- PF Majei Lampe
- SG David Wesley

Indiana
- C Scot Pollard
- PG Eddie Gill
+ PF Al Harrington (FA)
+ C John Edwards (Atl)

LA Clippers
+ C Aaron Williams (FA)
+ PF Ryan Humphrey (FA)

LA Lakers

Memphis
+ PG Junior Harrington (FA)

Miami
- SG Derek Anderson (FA)
+ SF Shandon Anderson (FA)

Milwaukee
- PF Joe Smith
+ SF Ruben Patterson (Den)

Minnesota
+ PF Paul Shirley (FA)
+ C Andrew DeClercq (FA)
+ C Daniel Santiago (FA)

New Jersey
- SG Zoran Planinic (FA)
+ SG Eddie House (Pho)

New Orleans
- SF Marcus Fizer
- PF Marc Jackson
+ PG Jannero Pargo (FA)

New York
- PF Maurice Taylor
+ SF Nikoloz Tskitishvili (FA)

Orlando
+ PF Bo Outlaw (FA)

Philadelphia
- PF Michael Bradley
+ PF Alan Henderson (FA)
+ PG Rick Brunson (FA)

Phoenix
- SG Eddie House
- SG Dijon Thompson
+ SF Jumaine Jones (Cle)

Portland
+ C Zendon Hamilton (FA)

Sacremento
- SF Sergei Monia
- SG Bonzi Wells
+ C Loren Woods (FA)
+ PF Maurice Taylor (NY)

San Antonio
+ C Fransisco Elson (FA)

Seattle
- PG Mike Wilks

Toronto

Utah
- PG Milt Palacio

Washington

*Roster updates courtesy of jamielwoodson1983 from the 2K Sports Forums.
The thread is here (requires log in).

Initial Impressions
I've only had the chance to get a few games under my belt. The most astonishing thing, despite having read it countless numbers of times in reviews and previews, is how the game captures the NBA style and the team styles of play so well. Add in, what has got to be the best animations in sports gaming ever created, not to mention player specific animations, and you've got a game that comes as close to any to moving like the real thing.

Notice I did say, "move", as graphically, though stunning, it still has a few flaws, namely player faces. Plainly put, there's just some hideous faces in the game.

There's so much to write as far as gameplay. IsoMotion I had never been a big fan of myself, but that's quickly changing. The sheer variety of moves you can perform is simply outstanding. And, as much as I hate to say it, since I've yet to try Live 07 (basing this off of gameplay from past Freestyle Controls), IsoMotion still manages to be a challenge, flashy, yet not overly street/arcadey in delivery.

For those still on the fence: buy this game. Or rent it, but if you even have the slightest of interest in basketball and specifically, NBA Basketball, you'll most likely want to buy it after. Any questions from those wanting to buy, I'd be happy to answer. Discuss away.

BTW, anyone got this weird animation bug yet? I was using the Rockets and the whole second half, McGrady looked as though he had a broken left arm. He'd hold it out in front of him as though it was floating and when he'd shoot, the arm would just stay up in the air as if he was raising his hand. Totally odd. It wouldn't move either when he dribbled with his left hand. The ball would just kind of teleport up and down his left hand.

I was able to get two games in yesterday on superstar difficulty level and this feels and plays like the most realistic bball game I've ever played. One of the games I played was a full twelve minute quarter game. I loved every single minute of it. Their is so much done right in this game I can't put it in to words. Their is also a crazy amount of camera angles to choose from some from the angle of being in the seats.

Greatest. Basketball. Game. Evar.

I've played every 2k game since the Dreamcast, and have watched the series evolve over time to what it has become with 2k7. Amazing is all I have to say, I was able to play a few games and the way the players move on the court, react to things around them is ultra realistic its almost scary. Signature styles is the cherry on top folks...if you are a fan of the NBA, you will LOVE 2k7.

I did however play one online game against a friend of mine. It was a little bit laggy, but nothing a patch couldn't fix.

Overall, I would have to say that this is *really* what next gen sports should be.

[quote name='JDMxB']Greatest. Basketball. Game. Evar.[/quote]I'll agree. Circle gets the square.

This is the definitive sports gaming experience ever made. Not talking about the game aspects (dynasty, 24/7, etc.), but just looking at the action from baseline to baseline and from tip-off to buzzer, this game captures the sport unlike any other. No other game sucks you into the experience of a sport more than 2K7.

Unfortunately for me, my 360 has it out for me. Lock ups have now made their way to this game as well and I'm anxiously waiting for my return box to come in so I can get back in and playing this game.

OMFG!!!

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this or discovered it, but at the end of the game if you go to STATS then SCORING SUMMARY, you can not only see who scored and when, but you can also watch a replay of EVERY SINGLE BASKET MADE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!! I find this to be an absolutely AMAZING feature (and now require it in all my sports games;))!

Has there been any news both before and after release on the situation with alternate uniforms? If they're going to have some available, when and how much? Haven't been keeping track.

I can't hit a jump shot to save my life. I played 2 games and hit like 1 J. I feel like Jared Jeffires. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I had the same problem, I thought, but looking at the stats at the end of games, the percentages were actually quite congruent with NBA games. That said, unless it's Kobe or T-Mac, the open guy is still going to be able to get the shot to fall more. Oh, and bank shots, too. That seems to help. Hold L-Trigger while shooting.

The biggest thing that threw me off was the individual shooting animations. I just went into practice mode and shot around to get the release points down.

[quote name='toper']OMFG!!!

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this or discovered it, but at the end of the game if you go to STATS then SCORING SUMMARY, you can not only see who scored and when, but you can also watch a replay of EVERY SINGLE BASKET MADE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!! I find this to be an absolutely AMAZING feature (and now require it in all my sports games;))![/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a rather cool feature. Seems like a lot of HDD accessing throughout the game. Hopefully no DDE come about. I guess I'll have to get this game.

Damn you people, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I want the game, but I got too many as it is and $59 tag is pretty steep for my budget with B-Days, X-Mas, and November releases....:wall:

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I had the same problem, I thought, but looking at the stats at the end of games, the percentages were actually quite congruent with NBA games.[/QUOTE]
Mine were too, but about half my shots were within 2 feet of the basket, so from inside of 2 feet I shoot 90%, outside if 2 feet I shoot 5%.

im pretty good at spreading the floor and hitting my jumpshots, but most of them are by kobe, odom, and some by farmar or chris duhon (traded for him). You just have to figure out where the right time to release their shot is

[quote name='doubledown']Wow, that's a rather cool feature. Seems like a lot of HDD accessing throughout the game. Hopefully no DDE come about. I guess I'll have to get this game.[/quote]Damn, no wonder I haven't been able to get through a game lately. The game completely locks up. I've had problems before with other games. My coffin just came in so I'm sending it in. No NBA for a while. Damn.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn you people, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I want the game, but I got too many as it is and $59 tag is pretty steep for my budget with B-Days, X-Mas, and November releases....:wall:[/quote]

if you want to get it soon, you can get a $10 GC if you buy it at Best Buy from now until saturday night

hmm. I've gotten a dirty disc error twice in a 20 minute span. Both time when they happened right before I noticed that the commentators stopped talking for a minute or two. The game still played fine, no problems, but when the commentary stopped for some reason I had to go back to the dashboard and start the game again.

I wonder if it has something to do with that fact that I was playing music thru my ipod thru the xbox. I played 3 full 12-minute quarter games without any problems before. Think it could be my box? I did look at the disc and it has some knicks near the middle ring of the disc that don't look too good, so could exchanging the game also fix this?

[quote name='DT778']Do you guys play with fatigue? In the past I have always played with it off.[/quote]

yes, I like to get the bench involved so the teams have realistic stats. I also don't like the computer playing the whole game with the starters.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn you people, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Now I want the game, but I got too many as it is and $59 tag is pretty steep for my budget with B-Days, X-Mas, and November releases....:wall:[/QUOTE]

you can pick it up for $45 shipped, but you probably have to wait a week.

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/657650/

Just a minor gripe that I hope gets resolved next year: Give me actual arenas. I haven't played every single team yet, but it sucks that there's no "real" Conseco Fieldhouse in the game. There's probably a few other omissions, but for a game that does every other thing so well in capturing the NBA, lack of arenas really detracts from the whole.

Oh, and player introductions. That'd be nice.

And anyone else got game lockups? Not dirty disc errors, but the game just freezing. I'm wondering, whether on top of having a faulty console, if the roster download and the VIP profile has something to do with it.

I love this game. The computer AI is a huge improvement over last years. Last year you could usually blow by defenders. On Superstar and Hall of Fame this year they play some outstanding D. So far I'm loving every second of it. Only gripe I have is the menus. Even though I am used to them now, I just hate the way they work.

how do u tell your opponents record and rank when you are playing online? As soon as I pick online game, it lets me choose which rank i want to play (ie Top 100, 200, etc), but then it goes straight to team select, never showing my opponents rank or record!
Please Help!
Thanx

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']With all the improvements they've made with the animation, it makes me dream about what NFL 2K7 would have been like...[/quote]

Damn EA for their exclusive titles:bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='TheFreshPrince']how do u tell your opponents record and rank when you are playing online? As soon as I pick online game, it lets me choose which rank i want to play (ie Top 100, 200, etc), but then it goes straight to team select, never showing my opponents rank or record!
Please Help!
Thanx[/quote]Hope you got an answer, 'cause I have no idea. Haven't hopped online with it yet.

Anyway, this also extends more into other games, not just NBA 2K7: Whoever is responsible for mixing the sounds, I wish they'd do a better job with the sound levels. The menu stuff is fairly quiet and then I jump into game commentary and it's loud as hell. I realize there are sound levels you can mess with, but if everything is set at it's highest level, the sound should be even across the board.

I played online a bit yesterday and the first game I won, but then the next three after that all used the lakers and of course me being the sixers couldn't stop Kobe. So I lost three times in a row.

One of the annoying things in one of the games was everytime the guy did some amazing dunk or play with kobe he'd pause and show me the replay, as if I didn't just see what happened. I mean is that unsportmanlike or is that just the cool new thing to do?

EDIT: and now I'm on my second disc and still getting the dirty disc errors like crazy. I mean my 360 is scratching the hell out of it. this is the only game it's done this with and it's starting to really bug me and I don't know what I'm gonna do if I have to keep exchanging them and have them work for a couple hours before I need a new one. I really hope they're working on some fixes for this.

Anyone else get a "broken arm" animation? Twice I've seen it now with different players and teams. The guy just hangs his arm out and from the elbow down to his hand, it just hangs down loosely and when he dribbles the ball just teleports. Really odd.

blocks arent easy in real life...it takes anticipation, not just tapping the y button wherever...it's way better than last year when that 90% was the success rate of blocks...i like it...makes you more conservative with which shots you try to block and which you merely try to "contest"

[quote name='thamaster24']Damn EA for their exclusive titles:bomb::bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]
Is more the NFL's fault, so you should damn them. Ah what the hell damn EA to.

hope 2k reel doesnt cost too much...i'm VERY interested as i have some replays saved...but i dont want it to cost like 800 points or something :(

[quote name='delirium266']What is it? I can't see the thread without registering to that message board.[/quote]Yeah, it won't let me see the thread either. If it's about the 2KReelMaker, then yes it will make the game better. The most I'll pay for it is $5, since that really could have been in the game. Has 2K said when it comes out or how much it will cost?

[quote name='delirium266']What is it? I can't see the thread without registering to that message board.[/quote]

game sliders

[quote name='swetooth9']game sliders[/quote]Registered and checked it out. Is there not just one major list of sliders, though?

[quote name='DT778']what's this 2KReelMaker you guys are talking about?[/quote]Check out the features tab in NBA 2K7 menu and there should be a trailer explaining what it is when you click on it. It's a "powerful video editing tool" to make your own higlight reels. It should be available for purchase on Marketplace soon, as SimBaller (an assistant producer) stated this morning on operationsports.com that they just finished it recently.

[quote name='SimBaller']We actually just finished it up; should be out soon I would imagine. It has already brought me hours and hours of entertainment. Probably my favorite feature in the game this year. [/quote]

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=185697

[quote name='DT778']thanks. It probably wont be free which is a big fucken shame.[/quote]

there is no way it'll be free unfortunately :(

but i'll get it nonetheless if it's not too costly...i already have around 6 or 7 replays saved for it

[quote name='DT778']thanks. It probably wont be free which is a big fucken shame.[/quote]yeah, but hopefully it will only be 200-400 points. anymore than that, and then i won't get it. i guess we'll find out soon.

Sounds like another thing intentionally left out so they could ram us up the ass later. It's not like it's commonplace for a feature like a f'ing "video editor" to be released as an add-on to games.

Just to humor myself - what can you do with this thing? Does it just let you cut various replays together? Can you add your own music to it?

bread's done
Back