Halo Wars - Gen. Discussion & Info

Ugamer_X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)

Features

Halo Wars™ is a strategy game based on the legendary Halo® universe. Command armies of UNSC units, both familiar and new, in their initial encounter against the Covenant, an alien coalition threatening to obliterate mankind. Experience an early period of the storied Halo universe, in a time leading up to the first Halo game.
With the guidance of Serina, a spirited A.I. persona, direct legions of UNSC soldiers, Warthogs and Scorpions against Covenant Grunts, Elites, Ghosts and Scarabs, each group having its own strengths and uses in battle. Strategic-minded players who react well under pressure will emerge victorious.

• New take on a legendary world: Experience the early battles between the UNSC and Covenant, in a time predatingHalo. Join the crew onboard the Spirit of Fire, a Phoenix-class colony ship converted for UNSC military use, and guided by the A.I. persona Serina. Discover an ancient artifact during a journey to the planet Harvest, the first planet to be attacked by the Covenant. And then get ready for the wars.
  • Strategic command of armies in large-scale combat: Gamers are in command of the battlefield. Counter and crush your opponent by tactically fielding the superior army. Choose among leaders possessing elite skills that can turn the tide of battle. Use various combinations of leaders and units, and create countless strategies tailored to your preferred playing styles.
  • Groundbreaking Xbox 360™ strategy game: Since inception, Halo Wars was explicitly designed to bring a typical PC genre to console gamers. Commanding armies is easy, controlling troops and units effortless, and epic battles are smoothly handled using an intuitive user interface. Halo Wars represents the true next-generation experience, combining a masterful control scheme with the award-winning strategic gameplay only Ensemble Studios can provide.
Achievements: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/halo-wars/achievements/

Added 7/11/07-

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/11/first-gameplay-footage-of-halo-wars/

Old stuff-

Official Site-

http://www.halowars.com

Trailers-

http://www.halowars.com/trailer.html

Info-

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=bungieatx06

Thought this deserved its own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any word on if it's coming to the PC? I can't play RTS games on a console... I tried Battle for Middle Earth 2 and it was too painful.

well considering they stated in their FAQ that the game was designed from the ground up with the Xbox 360 in mind I'd say most likely not Roufuss. I agree this would be way way cooler on a PC but if they can pull off a control scheme that works on the 360 I'll happily play it to death on that as wel ^_^.

So this is why Microsoft crushed that indie group that was working on a Halo RTS (that looked pretty damn good I might add) based off of the first game's graphics.

Eh well, it was gonna happen sooner or later.

RTS is a game type like Warcraft 2 and 3 not Diablo. Diablos is honestly in the loosest sense of a term an RPG game but its more of hack and slash than RPG. This is more like Starcraft,warcraft,Command and Conquer etc.

[quote name='PhoenixT']RTS is a game type like Warcraft 2 and 3 not Diablo. Diablos is honestly in the loosest sense of a term an RPG game but its more of hack and slash than RPG. This is more like Starcraft,warcraft,Command and Conquer etc.[/quote]

Crap. I was afraid of that. I know that they managed to get it to work on LOTR:BFMEII but I tried the demo and it just seemed like too much work. I guess its a wait and see thing on this one though.

[quote name='Roufuss']Any word on if it's coming to the PC? I can't play RTS games on a console... I tried Battle for Middle Earth 2 and it was too painful.[/quote]

Gametrailers.com has listed for PC & Xbox 360, but that could be up in the air for now.

As for the trailer, :drool:

So this why Ensemble has been kinda slow with games lately. But they can back it up considering they the ones that made the Age of Empire games.

OoOOoOoOoo. Looks promising. If they can overcome the controls issue, then I definitely look forward to it.

... would be so very easy to just add mouse/trackball/etc support to 360 though, they already got USB keyboard in there for godsakes. Yeah lock them out in FPS if they want, but c'mon... go the easy way, yessss, the logical way for RTS. But blah, I like the way Kingdom Under Fire controls... so it's definitely doable with a gamepad.

I do hope it much more resembles WarCraft III than StarCraft or Age of Empires/Mythology though. Resource gathering? BLECH! Emphasis on COMBAT! GIANT BATTLES! STRATEGY!! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! Have the AI handle all the fragging Sim City bullsh*t.

I hope like hell they allow Covenant AND Flood Factions to be playable, and all different like, oh, well, you know! - StarCraft. ...without the micromanagement of non-combat bullsh*t ;)

if you want an RTS thats combat focused pick up Warhammmer 40k Dawn of War. The games not very well balanced race wise but the way resource management is handled is really slick in the way that you gain more resources by taking more points and settting up defenses around them. Making the games resources more about map control than mining or oil gathering. AI on it is kinda crummy though usually stomp the computer in like 15 minutes or less and I suck against AI opponents in RTS games.

Man, I just hope the trailer for the live movie is even remotely as cool as the trailer for this game. I'm not big on RTS games, but I love the Halo story and the Halo universe. I'll probably give it a shot for that fact alone. Can't wait for Eric Nylund's new book as well...

[quote name='FurryCurry']So this is why Microsoft crushed that indie group that was working on a Halo RTS (that looked pretty damn good I might add) based off of the first game's graphics.

Eh well, it was gonna happen sooner or later.[/QUOTE]
You mean Bungie? Halo was supposed to be an RTS to begin with.

well, it's officially gone franchise. I know I can't consider the halo games any good (the ones out so far), but since Microsoft is putting so much effort and production into the 3rd title and the RTS, things are looking better.

the trailer played a few things up a bit (the music was trying to be emotional when I had no care for the guy who got killed), but overall was impressive.

I'll never play it since I never could enjoy a RTS past 30 min of playtime. Good news for Halo ducks who the majority of which probably are Starcraft ducks as well.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']well, it's officially gone franchise. I know I can't consider the halo games any good (the ones out so far), but since Microsoft is putting so much effort and production into the 3rd title and the RTS, things are looking better.

the trailer played a few things up a bit (the music was trying to be emotional when I had no care for the guy who got killed), but overall was impressive.

I'll never play it since I never could enjoy a RTS past 30 min of playtime. Good news for Halo ducks who the majority of which probably are Starcraft ducks as well.[/QUOTE]
QUACK QUACK

[quote name='tangytangerine']Gametrailers.com has listed for PC & Xbox 360, but that could be up in the air for now. [/QUOTE]

The Halo Wars site says:

Q: Will I be able to play Halo Wars on Xbox 360 and PC?
A: Halo Wars is for the Xbox 360 exclusively.

So probably not.

[quote name='paz9x']QUACK QUACK[/QUOTE]

halo.jpg
i-rosenthal.jpg

As I expected, Bungie isn't stupid enough to save the next Halo game's release for the movie. Now I expected them to milk it with one spinoff, but two is even more impressive. :) I figure with this one being the strategy game that maybe the movie one will use the Halo 3 engine and play similarly or at least be close.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I'm so fucking sick of trailers with no gameplay footage. fuck![/quote]

Me too but it looked so damn sick that it doesn't matter this time.

I can't wait till its on the XBLM so I can see it in HD and 5.1 sound :drool:

I hope Halo Wars has better controls then BfME 2.

[quote name='trq']The Halo Wars site says:

Q: Will I be able to play Halo Wars on Xbox 360 and PC?
A: Halo Wars is for the Xbox 360 exclusively.

So probably not.[/quote]
I'm sure it will come out on PC a few years after it comes out on the 360, just like Halo 1 and 2.

Generally don't like RTS games. Too much going on in too many different places = not fun, in my book.

That said, Bungie doesn't dick around when it comes to stuff Halo-related, so I'm assuming this will be AAA-quality.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Generally don't like RTS games. Too much going on in too many different places = not fun, in my book.

That said, Bungie doesn't dick around when it comes to stuff Halo-related, so I'm assuming this will be AAA-quality.[/quote]

But Ensemble Studios is making it...Bungie might help out a little but I think they're focusing on Halo 3? Since they're going to be two different games, right?

[quote name='b0bx13']You mean Bungie? Halo was supposed to be an RTS to begin with.[/quote]

It was but look at this joka.

[quote name='62t']I wonder where M$ got the idea for a Halo RTS game?[/quote]

Microsoft never had any ideas lol. Like b0b said, Halo was supposed to be an RTS even before M$ picked them up. However, with any super huge franchise, and the common knowledge of a game's true beginings, it was only a matter of time.

looks tight, any word on the release date?

i wouldnt be suprised if RTS's came out with a special controller, or better yet one for each game so you can spend another 40 bucks to play your 60 doller game!!! YAY!!!

I can't wait for this to come out. I'm also looking forward to finding out more about the Halo game Peter Jackson is working on.

[quote name='Kayden']Milk that cash cow![/QUOTE]

The biggest franchise of Xbox recieves one spin-off and you immediately pull that out your ass? The FFVII shit's an actual good example of milking the "cash cow."

New gameplay vid:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yxvjxJYjvQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Exbox360fanboy%2Ecom%2F[/MEDIA]
Looks spectacular!

Im not too excited YET. i may get hyped late but that'l take some big stuff for me to buy into a halo stat game.

ehh, couple issues
paintbrush is not that cool, can i place the brush on the minimap?
circle menu - so i have to cover my entire screen when i want to build? not cool
please give a quick build command for troops and armor
positives
graphics are dope

Strange as it may sound, I'm actually looking forward to this more than Halo 3.

I used to love these types of games, so yeah.. should be nice.

bread's done
Back