Oblivion for PS3/PSP Officially Confirmed by OPM Cover (new info from the mag itself)

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154065

The link doesn't particularly work, but they've got multiple links on the 1up homepage saying that the November OPM cover is indeed Oblivion coming to the PS3 for the launch along with a PSP version. Once the article is working, I'll post the details here, but until then this is all we know about them.

------------------------------------------
Got my copy of OPM today and I'm reading the big feature on Oblivion. Here's the cliffnotes:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (arriving at the PS3 launch)

There will be 10-20 hours of added content/gameplay (including the stuff that's already been mentioned in this thread).

There's two comparison screenshots between the same scene on the 360 and PS3 to show the difference in texture detail of distant landscapes (this one's a view of a river and the land on the other side). This increase means less pop-up on distant landscape and a more seamless transition between the distant and immediate land surrounding the player.

The downloadable content from the PC/360 versions will not be included in the retail release on the PS3. *This is news I don't really get if they're trying to make this the best version of the game yet.*

Will the downloadable content be available for download on day one of the launch? Maybe. They're playing the "lack on online info from Sony" card, but they hope to make it available soon enough.

They plan to offer more downloadable content on all platforms for the game as long as the players want it.

The Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion (arriving sometime in 2007)

The PSP version is a dungeon-crawling adventure game with 10 large levels in a different storyline from Oblivion on the consoles. "No wide-open, wander-the-landscape kind of stuff. It's more hack-and-slashy, button-mashy."

Refering to what's in the game from the console versions: "You'll be able to create your own character, look at your character, and it'll update live when you change your equipment. 18 of the 21 skills from the console versions are in the game, the others don't apply to the storyline or gameplay. And you have all the core attributes and perks; all that stuff is still there. That functionality is all parallel."

Impressions from an early build: "we found the indoor environments richly detailed, and while the controls took some getting used to, the core gameplay was all present and accounted for. [...]Travels really does feel like a portable Oblivion."

The PSP version is not expected to have any connectivity features with the PS3 version due to being released much later.

PSP Controls: The designers cite Metroid Prime as an influence on the controls. "Unfortunately, the controls are too complex to allow for the elegant Syhon Filter-style control scheme."

A look at the movement controls:

Analog stick - Front-and-back movement and turning side to side.
L button - Strafe.
R button - Free-look.

There are some more specifics about the new content and the game overall and its impact on the industry in the short time after its release.

Have faith in devhook.

I'm happy for the prospective PS3 owners, though I'll be pissed if they get some sort of super special edition with never before seen content. Which will happen of course.

I always wondered why there wasn't a good version of the Dark Brotherhood in the game.
How much do you all want to bet that us 360 owners will get the privilege to pay a high price ($40+) for a Game of the Year version Oblivion with this content?

If Oblivion on the PSP turns out to be good it will be a major system seller for me.

Cant say i didnt see that coming..one of the best game's of all time now on PS3 & PSP with exclusive content,yeah boy!

[quote name='richbastard']Cant say i didnt see that coming..one of the best game's of all time now on PS3 & PSP with exclusive content,yeah boy![/QUOTE]
I thought all of you PS fanboys didn't care about a PS3 version since you could get it on the PC:roll: ;)

Back on topic this is good news more gamers that can see the greatness that is Oblivion makes this good news!

The article's working now:

Yes, the rumors are true: Oblivion is heading to PlayStation 3, and an upcoming cover story in Official PlayStation Magazine has the exclusive first look.

Here's what we know so far. The game will introduce a new faction to the Oblivion world, one that's available right at the beginning called Knights of the Nine and described by the developers as "the good Dark Brotherhood." The goal here is to become the Divine Crusader (think part warrior, part priest), and the quest features new locations, characters, armor and weapons.

"Oblivion has these really good character archetypes for evil," says executive producer Todd Howard. "It has the Dark Brotherhood: You get your outfit, you feel like an assassin, you feel like an evil guy, [and] you role-play like an evil guy. We [didn't] have the opposite end of that. There [was] very little reward for being a goody two-shoes."

"As opposed to adding content that allowed your character to just experience new quests, we wanted to create something that allowed your character to become something new," he continues.

Fans may also be excited to hear that the series is heading to PSP in Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion, a game that plays very similarly to its big brother but takes place in a completely different setting.
For more information on both games, check out the cover story in the November issue of Official PlayStation Magazine, on store shelves soon. Check out the first screenshots of the PS3 game here, and look for many more in OPM.

As for the first screenshots, click below:
[URL="http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3150341"]http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3150341http://media.1up.com/media?id=3041974[/URL]

Nice.

I wish they would have also added an Imperal Legion quest line. We're in the capital of the Empire and with can't join the Legion? Maybe we'll get that in an expansion.

Hm... time to trade in or sell Oblivion 360. The complete Collectors Ed. isn't worth any more trade-in than the regular edition, right? I wonder if they'll come out with a comparable CE for PS3?

Yes, the rumors are true: Oblivion is heading to PlayStation 3, and an upcoming cover story in Official PlayStation Magazine has the exclusive first look.

Here's what we know so far. The game will introduce a new faction to the Oblivion world, one that's available right at the beginning called Knights of the Nine and described by the developers as "the good Dark Brotherhood." The goal here is to become the Divine Crusader (think part warrior, part priest), and the quest features new locations, characters, armor and weapons.

"Oblivion has these really good character archetypes for evil," says executive producer Todd Howard. "It has the Dark Brotherhood: You get your outfit, you feel like an assassin, you feel like an evil guy, [and] you role-play like an evil guy. We [didn't] have the opposite end of that. There [was] very little reward for being a goody two-shoes."

Bethesda is smart enough not to piss off its loyal fanbase, as we've seen time and time again... expect the Knights of the Nine to show up as a microtransaction for 360 / PC somewhere down the line.

[quote name='gizmogc']Wait, so getting a game a whole year late is a 'super secret launch title'? Wow.[/quote]
Since when is eight months equal to a whole year? Who would complain about the PS3 getting an excellent launch title that's better than the previous versions?

The screenshots of the PS3 version they had on Joystiq didn't look all that impressive. Actually, they looked worse than the 360 version IMO.

Wow, the PS3 not only gets good news for the first time in almost a year, but the launch finally gets a must-play title. I can finally up the number of PS3 games I want from 2 to 3 :lol:

PS3 version I could less about now, but that PSP version has me intrigued. Hope it's cool.

It's cool though that it is coming out for multiple systems. I was hooked on this game and had to force myself from playing it I was playing it so much. I plan to make another character after I finish Suikoden 5.

And first pictures always suck. Its video that counts. White Knight Story looked kinda lame in the pics, but the video I saw looked very cool.

Very awesome indeed.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Wow, the PS3 not only gets good news for the first time in almost a year, but the launch finally gets a must-play title. I can finally up the number of PS3 games I want from 2 to 3 :lol:[/quote]
Wow, you must not have been paying attention at all to the past week or so at TGS.

[quote name='gofishn']The screenshots of the PS3 version they had on Joystiq didn't look all that impressive. Actually, they looked worse than the 360 version IMO.[/QUOTE]

hopefully they learned to chill the graphics in favor of less loading and a stable, good framerate. I could care less how good the 360 version looked, after about 10 hours I was fed up with all the loading and the shitty framerate.

[quote name='Apossum']hopefully they learned to chill the graphics in favor of less loading and a stable, good framerate. I could care less how good the 360 version looked, after about 10 hours I was fed up with all the loading and the shitty framerate.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

I'm sure they'll either make an official expansion pack or plugin for the PC version with the PS3 exclusive content.

Then again, I'm even more sure that some fans will do it anyway.

And even still, the PC version will be better.

[quote name='Apossum']hopefully they learned to chill the graphics in favor of less loading and a stable, good framerate. I could care less how good the 360 version looked, after about 10 hours I was fed up with all the loading and the shitty framerate.[/QUOTE]

Funny, it never bothered me. Sometimes a little bit of loading would get on my nerves but I never had any issues with framerate.

If the PS3 version has stuff that's not in the PC version (and won't be included in an expansion pack), then I'll have to consider buying it.

maybe with the bluray format bethesda can put oblivion with all the mods created on pc along with morrowind and its expansions plus some cool mods. oh don't forget arena, daggerfall and the other one i that i forget (redguard?).

hopefully with all those gigs of disc space they can fill it with playable content instead of bloated code.

[quote name='gaelan']maybe with the bluray format bethesda can put oblivion with all the mods created on pc along with morrowind and its expansions plus some cool mods. oh don't forget arena, daggerfall and the other one i that i forget (redguard?).

hopefully with all those gigs of disc space they can fill it with playable content instead of bloated code.[/quote]
Oblivion is less then 5 GB for the full PC version. It's not like the extra space Blu Ray has is really needed for Oblivion.
I could see Arena and Daggerfall being on XBLA and whatever Sony's version of it is going to be, but I seriously doubt we'll see Morrowind bundled with Oblivion.

Wasn't interested in this game on 360, but on PSP I might get it. It seems like a good game to pick-up and play anywhere at anytime rather than at home for me. Hopefully it turns out good on PSP.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Oblivion is less then 5 GB for the full PC version. It's not like the extra space Blu Ray has is really needed for Oblivion.
I could see Arena and Daggerfall being on XBLA and whatever Sony's version of it is going to be, but I seriously doubt we'll see Morrowind bundled with Oblivion.[/QUOTE]
I'm rather sure all that he listed could fit on a DVD9, but they are not going to waste their time doing it.

Meh Oblivion is a crappy DAD RPG game to begin with. I was expecting a port like in the good old days where they made a brand new game and not the same exact game they made the first time. Otherwise meh.....

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Since when is eight months equal to a whole year? Who would complain about the PS3 getting an excellent launch title that's better than the previous versions?[/QUOTE]

Oops! 8 months! So sorry! But whats better? A new character race and a few extra things? Its just an updated port, seems upto par with 75% of the PSP's library.

[quote name='gizmogc']Oops! 8 months! So sorry! But whats better? A new character race and a few extra things? Its just an updated port, seems upto par with 75% of the PSP's library.[/quote]
Are we talking about the PSP version, which we don't know much of annything about it, or the PS3 version, which you were originally posting about? You should stay on the same subject rather than switching topics.

Framerate issue was horrible in the 360 version.

I got the PC Version from my friend and its so much nicer and smooth.
I acctually play it on PC.

Plus all the mods. Mystic Elves FTW!

I'm not surprised by the PS3 version. Makes good sense to me.

But I get the feeling people are already establishing some unrealistic expectations for the PSP version.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wow, you must not have been paying attention at all to the past week or so at TGS.[/QUOTE]

Well, not sure what you are referring to, but the number games that I want (at launch) went from 0 to 1. Now I'm actually considering trying to get a PS3 at launch. But I'll still probably wait it out a bit due to Sony first-run hardware system issues :D. But I'm glad that when I do get one this game will be waiting for me.

[quote name='io']Well, not sure what you are referring to, but the number games that I want (at launch) went from 0 to 1. Now I'm actually considering trying to get a PS3 at launch. But I'll still probably wait it out a bit due to Sony first-run hardware system issues :D. But I'm glad that when I do get one this game will be waiting for me.[/quote]
There was big news at TGS in the inclusion of HDMI in both versions of the PS3 along with the news that Ninja Gaiden will appear on PS3. White Knight Story was revealed by Sony and Level 5, which is big news for JRPG fans. There's definitely been lots of good news even in the past week, not the year the OP stated.

[quote name='Daddy']Sweet i can pay $200 bucks more to play a game i already played...awesome![/QUOTE]

Well, obviously, it isn't going to be a big deal for Xbox 360 owners, but for those of us who haven't chosen between the two it might help sway us in favor of the PS3. Oblivion was one of the few 360 games I was interested in.

I'm leaning towards getting neither for a while, actually. But I was close to ignoring the PS3 and getting a 360. Now I'm up in the air again :D.

[quote name='Daddy']Sweet i can pay $200 bucks more to play a game i already played...awesome![/quote]

you dont get it dude,for those of us that havent playe it and would like to but dont wanna spend $400 on a crapbox 360 and are getting a ps3 its good news.

[quote name='solid snake']you dont get it dude,for those of us that havent playe it and would like to but dont wanna spend $400 on a crapbox 360 and are getting a ps3 its good news.[/quote]
When will the fanboys take a rest?

"Wow Oblivion, really worth 600 bucks.."
"Genji, that is really worth 600 bucks"
"MGS4 looks good, but I wouldnt pay 600 bucks for it"
"A blu ray player? Why would I want to pay 600 bucks for it?!"
"Free online is nice, but not when I have to pay 600 bucks"
"A slide show? Ooo thats worth 600 bucks"
"Resistance, it looks really sweet, but not a 600 dollar sweet..."
"Id like to play lair, but not for 600 bucks"
"Ooo 60gb hdd oh joy! I can buy more hdd with 600 bucks.."
"Wireless in box? Ooo that gets my 600 bucks! Psht..."
"DMC4, hardly worth 600 bucks"
"Motorstorm? A driving game in the mud? Thats not worth 600 bucks"
"HDMI Output? Nice add, but I wouldnt pay 600 bucks for it."
"White Knight story looks awsome, but I wouldnt dish out 600 bucks for it..."
"Even though I cant get the Final Fantasy series anywhere else, I wouldnt flop down 600 dollars for it..."
"1080p? Sure why not. For 600 bucks? No thanks... haha!"
"I dont think id pay 600 dollars for a mutiple web browsers at one time..."
"ZOE3? Sweet! But thats not a 600 dollar game..."
"Lol, why would I pay 600 bucks for a console that can play PS2 and PSone games?"
"Region free is not worth 600 bills..."
"Ooo motion controller, I can get that on the wii and not for 600 bucks"
"Armored Core 4 just for PS3? thats not worth putting 600 bucks down..."
"Rechargeable wireless controllers? For 600 dollars? I dont think so..."

...We got it, you dont want to spend alot of money.

But you dont have to pay all that for one thing. You can have all that for the same price.

Why is this site growing in fanboy tension everyday? When these systems launch, its gonna be a sad day on these forums.

[quote name='help1']Why is this site growing in fanboy tension everyday? When these systems launch, its gonna be a sad day on these forums.[/QUOTE]

It's because people like systems and not games. I used to think that XBox fanboys were the worst but they pale in comparison to the PS3 ones.

[quote name='help1']Why is this site growing in fanboy tension everyday? When these systems launch, its gonna be a sad day on these forums.[/quote]its every site. this kind of thing happens at every console launch. people feel the need to justify and defend their purchase and choice of console.

bread's done
Back