CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
It actually has a listing at IMDB!

revieweternalchampions3tu9.jpg

Beware the psychic snake!

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08v4gglooA[/MEDIA]

Eternal Champions = lose.

Thread title is pretty legit though. Using Roman Numerals makes the thread sound that much cooler.

Well, last night I loaded a shitload of fighting games onto my arcade machine... I really only ever played Street Fighter II in the arcade so I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I actually wish these games had practice modes so I could learn the moves. I've got all the Street Fighters (II and Alphas - no III), versus games (like X-Men vs. Street Fighter), Samuari Shodowns, Art of Fightings, Killer Instincts, Darkstalkers/Vampire Savior, Fatla Furys, etc... I don't even know where to start although Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the most appealing for some reason.

[quote name='Chacrana']Eternal Champions = lose.

Thread title is pretty legit though. Using Roman Numerals makes the thread sound that much cooler.[/QUOTE]

QFT!

[quote name='javeryh']Well, last night I loaded a shitload of fighting games onto my arcade machine... I really only ever played Street Fighter II in the arcade so I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I actually wish these games had practice modes so I could learn the moves. I've got all the Street Fighters (II and Alphas - no III), versus games (like X-Men vs. Street Fighter), Samuari Shodowns, Art of Fightings, Killer Instincts, Darkstalkers/Vampire Savior, Fatla Furys, etc... I don't even know where to start although Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the most appealing for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I'd start with Street Fighter Alpha 2 or X-men vs. Street Fighter. Alpha 2 is like SFA3 but a little simpler (and much better, IMO) and X-men vs. Street Fighter is the simplest of the Vs series (although it has a TON of high level gameplay, such as infinites/glitches etc...)

If you want some help w/ either game let me know.

I just got finished watching last week's 1up Show and a couple of the editors were going on and on about how Virtua Fighter 5 looks arcade perfect if not better... god damn... I can't wait for next March. Between VF5 and Hokuto no Ken, I'm going to have no reason to ever do school-related stuff.

I forgot about buying KOF 2006 already... I'm so ridiculously on the fence though since it seems like most people here are saying that there's no depth to it at all. Not having a wealth of depth is fine, but I don't want something that's just a "meh" game to kill a couple hours with.

new thread!

KOF 2006 has eaten up my time. I"m being real anal about getting all fo the alternate costumes. I've already beaten the easy, hard and extra missions, as well as passing the game with every character. all I need to do is finish time attack mode with about 9 characters and to finish up sirvival mode.

armor ralf is the cheapest thing to ever step foot in a video game. that's all I have to say about that.

edit: nice pic Gunm! that certainly surprised me.

Yay new thread.

And about VF5.

That game was arcade perfect playable at E3! (Playable in a private room but no one was allowed to talk about it) lol.

And yeah it does look so amazing in motion.

[quote name='MarkMan']Yay new thread.

And about VF5.

That game was arcade perfect playable at E3! (Playable in a private room but no one was allowed to talk about it) lol.

And yeah it does look so amazing in motion.[/QUOTE]

How much of an improvement is it over 4?

I never played 4 seriously, but I can definitely see myself devoting a ton of time when the fifth iteration comes out.

From what I'm hearing it's more like 3. It's suprisingly not as popular in Japanese arcades because of this. People liked VF4 Final Tuned better it seems.

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection still holds the fighting game crown in Japan based on Arcadia monthly charts.

Wow, Eternal Champions... Sega's answer to SF II on SNES. God I haven't thought of this game in years or own a copy of it myself. The characters were kind of silly.

[quote name='MarkMan']
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection still holds the fighting game crown in Japan based on Arcadia monthly charts.[/QUOTE]

Really?! I'm surprised VF5 hasn't knocked it out.

[quote name='Chacrana']I forgot about buying KOF 2006 already... I'm so ridiculously on the fence though since it seems like most people here are saying that there's no depth to it at all. Not having a wealth of depth is fine, but I don't want something that's just a "meh" game to kill a couple hours with.[/QUOTE]

Who said that? Game is a pretty good amount of depth, it's still broken, but not to the terrible degree that MI 1 is. KoF 2006 is an awesome game.. there's been posts in the fighting threads reflecting that from people who actually own it.

It's not like Tekken amount of depth but it's not incredibly shallow, either... in alot of ways its exactly like Project Justice minus the team aspects.

[quote name='MarkMan']T5: DR is REALLY popular in Japan. There are always crowds on the machine.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the same goes for Korean games as well... isn't Tekken even bigger in Korea?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm guessing the same goes for Korean games as well... isn't Tekken even bigger in Korea?[/QUOTE]

I have a friend from Korea and he hates Tekken. But I'm sure it's very popular over there. And most likley the most used character is either Baek or Hwarong. Ya gotta have the one Tae Kwon Do guy in every game.

Tekken and VF are both big in Korea as well. Korea and Japan have something we don't have the luxury of... lots of arcades and 24 hour arcades. Arcades are the big reason why VF is so popular there and meh over here as far as competition goes.

In Korea though you can play arcade games for DIRT cheap.

[quote name='MarkMan']Tekken and VF are both big in Korea as well. Korea and Japan have something we don't have the luxury of... lots of arcades and 24 hour arcades. Arcades are the big reason why VF is so popular there and meh over here as far as competition goes.

In Korea though you can play arcade games for DIRT cheap.[/QUOTE]

time for me to relocate...

Sigh, it seems like the arcades these days are dying because of the luxury of playing someone online whilst sitting on your lazyboy. I really favor the arcade environment or at least the head to head tourny scene. Only thing I would gripe about are smelly kids. Don't get me wrong though, I love how convenient the internet has become. I like online play as much as the next guy, but how do I know the other person on the other end isn't a 10 year old boy using game genie? *shakes fist* "Damn you game genie! Damn you!"

I still say the arcade scene will make a huge comback with the original feel once internet speeds don't become such an issue. Playing SFII:HF on XBLA launch really brought back the same exact feelings I got when going to the arcade... i beleive it's a taste of what's to come.

The popular characters in Korea, suprisingly aren't the Koreans... there are tons of Mishima players there... (Devil Jin/Kazuya/Heihachi)...

KOF is really big over there too. And for some reason Street Fighter II: Champion Edition... T.T

[quote name='MarkMan']The popular characters in Korea, suprisingly aren't the Koreans... there are tons of Mishima players there... (Devil Jin/Kazuya/Heihachi)...

KOF is really big over there too. And for some reason Street Fighter II: Champion Edition... T.T[/QUOTE]

I still dream of a land where Project Justice is the most played game...

24 hour arcades :drool: I would take that any day over firing up my systems in between study sessions. Playing at the arcade just clears your mind of everything :)

speaking of which, found an arcade on campus....it has Tekken 3. and DDR and that dumb Police Trainer game. and the Simpsons. what a let down.

there's another one that has DDR, pinball, and Area 51.

and I think there are some more machines in a room that's not open right now on account of water damage. from what I hear, there's another DDR machine.

prognosis: sucks ass.

[quote name='Apossum']24 hour arcades :drool: I would take that any day over firing up my systems in between study sessions. Playing at the arcade just clears your mind of everything :)

speaking of which, found an arcade on campus....it has Tekken 3. and DDR and that dumb Police Trainer game. and the Simpsons. what a let down.

and I think there are some more machines in a room that's not open right now on account of water damage. from what I hear, there's another DDR machine.

prognosis: sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

if you wanted, starting a petition for new gaming machines could turn out good for you.

[quote name='MarkMan']The popular characters in Korea, suprisingly aren't the Koreans... there are tons of Mishima players there... (Devil Jin/Kazuya/Heihachi)...

KOF is really big over there too. And for some reason Street Fighter II: Champion Edition... T.T[/QUOTE]

The Mishimas are probably the favorites no matter were you go. But Playmore was, or still is, Korean based. So it's no surprise KOF is popular there. I wonder if they sell Kim-Chee in the arcades?

I remember in KOF 2K2 after SNK's death and Playmore started making the KOF games, Kim gets several new animations. I wonder why?

[quote name='Apossum']24 hour arcades :drool: I would take that any day over firing up my systems in between study sessions. Playing at the arcade just clears your mind of everything :)

prognosis: sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

I sorta have an arcade on campus. It's got KOF XI, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear XX, Soul Calibur, MVC2, and Project Justice. Oh wait, it's my room. In an ironic twist, nobody plays fighting games here save for maybe 2 people (who are terrible.)

my old college still has a huge fighting crowed that surprisingly never dies out. I swung by a week ago and some of my old freinds were playing some very seriouse KoFXI. It's nice that that's there... too bad most of the people playing (including my friends) are total assholes.

Yeah, my university is pretty much an antithesis to video games in general. No what the hell do they do there all the time then? Study?!

Oh...

Yeah, unfortunately no arcades in my neck of the woods, and no more real 2d fighter fans either. 'Tis a sad sad thing.

[quote name='halu102']Yeah, my university is pretty much an antithesis to video games in general. No what the hell do they do there all the time then? Study?!

Oh...

Yeah, unfortunately no arcades in my neck of the woods, and no more real 2d fighter fans either. 'Tis a sad sad thing.[/QUOTE]

It just blows my mind how there's not anyone here that's even heard of anything more advanced than Soul Calibur. And everyone sucks at Guitar Hero. It's truly sad. I feel like I'm becoming a wastrel... I gotta hop on Live sometime and have Apossum kick my ass at SFII.

[quote name='Chacrana']It just blows my mind how there's not anyone here that's even heard of anything more advanced than Soul Calibur. And everyone sucks at Guitar Hero. It's truly sad. I feel like I'm becoming a wastrel... I gotta hop on Live sometime and have Apossum kick my ass at SFII.[/QUOTE]

I can pretend I kick ass if apossum dosn't lend his foot for kicking thy ass.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i could probably destroy each and every one of you at SFII Turbo for Snes, but i don't gots an xbox - just a snes :D[/QUOTE]

do you have zsnes?

even though you don't have an x-box, it's still very possible to test your bold claim..

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I can pretend I kick ass if apossum dosn't lend his foot for kicking thy ass.[/QUOTE]

Apossum makes fun of me though and I sometimes need to have my ego taken down a notch. I'm making fun of too many tone-deaf retards that try to play guitar hero over here, so I think it's probably for the best. Nothing can replace those scathing insults regarding my Kasumi addiction.

[quote name='Chacrana']It just blows my mind how there's not anyone here that's even heard of anything more advanced than Soul Calibur. And everyone sucks at Guitar Hero. It's truly sad. I feel like I'm becoming a wastrel... I gotta hop on Live sometime and have Apossum kick my ass at SFII.[/QUOTE]

what's up with people sucking so badly at guitar hero? these kids having playing it for months, I waltz in and get used to it, then I start beating them so much that it's just not fun anymore :lol:

if you wanted, starting a petition for new gaming machines could turn out good for you.

true. I should look in to how shit like that works here. probably meet some serious fighter fans in the process.

RR + Chacrana-- you guys are never on live anymore....but neither am I. lets get some laggy doa going!

[quote name='Apossum']
true. I should look in to how shit like that works here. probably meet some serious fighter fans in the process.
[/QUOTE]

At my school, nobody would care about something like that... they would literally go back to playing Goldeneye and Madden 2001. One kid even has an NES. I'm not making fun of poor people, but come on. This school is expensive to go to so you'd think the parents would at least mandate that these kids have some damn sense about what they bring to school.

Talking about arcades I just found one located near me that's been there for a while but I never knew. Only fighter they got it MvC2 though.

[quote name='kristianator']do you have zsnes?

even though you don't have an x-box, it's still very possible to test your bold claim..[/quote]

all i've got is the original snes.

zsnes is a rom right? i'd need a controller for that - no keyboards for me :cool:

[quote name='Apossum']
RR + Chacrana-- you guys are never on live anymore....but neither am I. lets get some laggy doa going![/QUOTE]

I'm on, but usually after 3pm every weekday. we should also schedule some games for the week. I'm up for a beatdown since I still haven't found a main character in DoA4. Plus, I love commenting on how I don't understand anything I say, it helps me understand things....?

[quote name='Sleepkyng']all i've got is the original snes.

zsnes is a rom right? i'd need a controller for that - no keyboards for me :cool:[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's an emulator but you don't need to use the keyboard. i use a joystick when i play on it.

but yeah, i have a tv hooked up in the dining room with an snes, and the only i've kept in it for the past 6 months is street fighter 2 turbo. i don't make assumptions about people who statements like "i can kick everyone's ass in such and such fighting game" because they could be true or false, but i'm most definitely interested in playing people who find themselves to be really good.

PM if you ever decide to play online?

OK, long shot here but I figure that more than a few of you have home arcades running MAME to get your fighter fix.... anyway, I posted this in a separate thread but I don't think it would hurt to ask again here...

I have a Happs Vision Pro VGA/SVGA monitor (http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/491337vp2lg.htm) and when I try to run certain games I get an "out of range" error message. Examples are Tapper (tapper), Popeye (popeye) and Mortal Kombat II (mk2). Is there any way to get these games playable on my monitor? Is there a setting I can input for each game that is doing this so it will run in the proper range of my monitor?

I'm going to try and walk through an example... I am running "mspacman" perfectly with no modifications or special configurations other than specifying the "-ror" command so it rotates 90 degrees. According to MAWS, mspacman runs at a resolution of 224x288 and at a frequency of 60.606060Hz. Everything works perfectly for this game.

However, when I try to run "popeye" I get an "out of range" error message on the monitor. According to MAWS, popeye runs at a resolution of 512x448 and a frequency of 60.000000Hz. How can I instruct my monitor to display this?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS!!

[quote name='kristianator']yeah, it's an emulator but you don't need to use the keyboard. i use a joystick when i play on it.

but yeah, i have a tv hooked up in the dining room with an snes, and the only i've kept in it for the past 6 months is street fighter 2 turbo. i don't make assumptions about people who statements like "i can kick everyone's ass in such and such fighting game" because they could be true or false, but i'm most definitely interested in playing people who find themselves to be really good.

PM if you ever decide to play online?[/quote]

can you reccomend a good gamepad for a pc?

for something like 10 years i beat sfII every morning and played my friends pretty habitually - then in college i would play my roommate 50 times a day (shit you not) so i feel pretty confident now - though i know i'm not one of those gods of 2d fighters.

i was just talkin trash :D but yeah, if i can score up a gamepad, i'd be down

cheers

[quote name='Sleepkyng']can you reccomend a good gamepad for a pc?

for something like 10 years i beat sfII every morning and played my friends pretty habitually - then in college i would play my roommate 50 times a day (shit you not) so i feel pretty confident now - though i know i'm not one of those gods of 2d fighters.

i was just talkin trash :D but yeah, if i can score up a gamepad, i'd be down

cheers[/QUOTE]

here's my personal favorite... I have used about 3 of them (2 for art shows and 1 for personal use) and they work fantastic...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS-PS2-USB-Dual...1QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41059QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you can always put a PS2 arcade stick to use on the device as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back