How to behave in a Sushi restaurant

"How not to be an ignorant pompous American." :)

Good stuff. I'll try and keep it in mind if/when I can afford to eat at a sushi bar again. :)

Good read, I shall keep this in mind. What would you sushi eaters recommend to someone who's never had sushi before?

[quote name='rabbitt']Good read, I shall keep this in mind. What would you sushi eaters recommend to someone who's never had sushi before?[/quote]
I don't like many vegetables, but you can't really taste them in sushi.

My favorite is crab meat and cucumbers. Sorry, I don't know many specific names of sushi.

[quote name='rabbitt']Good read, I shall keep this in mind. What would you sushi eaters recommend to someone who's never had sushi before?[/quote]

Well it depends on how adventurous you're feeling. If you really want to ease in to things I'd recommend something generic like a california roll. I also find that fried things are good for beginners (TNT Rolls are what they're called at the place I go to) but the only problem with that is that you're not getting a real sushi experience. I personally like anything with Eel, Tuna, Salmon, Crab, or Shrimp. My favorite rolls are the most simple .. usually just a small peice of tuna or salmon draped over a ball of rice.

This one I particularly stress as a japanese food enthusiast (although, I hate Sushi :p )

"Do not pick up a piece of food from another person’s plate with the part of the chopsticks you put in your mouth. When moving food like this use the end you hold, which is considered the polite way."

[quote name='rabbitt']Good read, I shall keep this in mind. What would you sushi eaters recommend to someone who's never had sushi before?[/QUOTE]

Tuna and Salmon are safe to start. If you like a little hot, try the spicy variants of these. Definitely avoid sea urchin, I have never met a sushi novice who enjoyed it on the first try.

Good read and a lot of it carries over to fine dining in an American restaurant. For example, the offering of a drink, if you get a really nice (expensive) bottle of wine you can/should ask your server if they would like to try it. We have wine tastings when we get a really good (expensive) bottle in to help them expand their pallet but not everyone can be there and there isn't always enough to pop multiple bottles but by letting them sample you can help them suggest it to others as well as bring them in closer to your dining experience.

Of course if you're a pompous asshole that just wants to impress your friends you won't do any of this.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Good read and a lot of it carries over to fine dining in an American restaurant. For example, the offering of a drink, if you get a really nice (expensive) bottle of wine you can/should ask your server if they would like to try it. We have wine tastings when we get a really good (expensive) bottle in to help them expand their pallet but not everyone can be there and there isn't always enough to pop multiple bottles but by letting them sample you can help them suggest it to others as well as bring them in closer to your dining experience.

Of course if you're a pompous asshole that just wants to impress your friends you won't do any of this.[/QUOTE]

Usually if you're in an expensive restaraunt there is a sommelier in charge of the wine list, and usually theyve tried everything on the list so there'd be no point asking them to try it out :p

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Why eat sushi when you can just stab yourself in the eye, pluck it out and eat it. It's far less disgusting and painful.[/quote]

It's quite apparent you've never eaten sushi.

[quote name='Maklershed']It's quite apparent you've never eaten sushi.[/quote]

Actually, I have. It's like eating a fish flavored marshmallow.

[quote name='Maklershed']It's quite apparent you've never eaten sushi.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually have to agree here with Mr. Scars. The ish makes me quite ill. I can handle Tuna Sashimi occasionally though.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Actually, I have. It's like eating a fish flavored marshmallow.[/quote]

That would make some crazy s'mores.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Why eat sushi when you can just stab yourself in the eye, pluck it out and eat it. It's far less disgusting and painful.[/QUOTE]

I used to hate sushi too. I never saw the point of spending so much money and I thought it tasted pretty bad. Sometimes I'd get stomachaches after eating it too. My friends kept dragging me to sushi restaurants though and eventually, I started to like it, lol.

Damnit, I hate these threads. I get all hungry but the sushi restaurants up here are all absolute garbage and everything (EVERYTHING) is built around tuna and salmon.

bread's done
Back