Sega Saturn Slim DVD Cover Project [98 Covers and Growing / 56K beware!]

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
Here's what everyone has been waiting for. The beginning! lol. Sorry everyone, and I hope you're all still interested. This is a planning stage of the project, and I just wanted to get it perfect before the beginning... and I've realized something. If you guys are waiting on me to scan, edit and crop the images its gonna take forever. I have a 40-50 hour work week for GE, and a demandning girlfriend and to top it all off I'm an aspiring musician so I'm just too busy to fit this in weekly. So here's the plan.

I'm offering prizes, and I will mentor designers and update the page. "SaurianOverlord" has become my right hand man on this project, and he'll be mentoring and helping as well.

This is how we're gonna lay this project out.

From right now, to Valentines day my goal is 300 covers. I know its a high goal, but the average cover takes anywhere from 30-60 mins to make, and if the front cover of the original saturn game is good enough. It'll take alot less than that.

Here's the prizes to keep you motivated.

argsrz0.jpg

So here are the steps:

1. Download the Photoshop "Slim DVD SEGA SATURN Cover Template" : (UPDATED!!! AGAIN! lol)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5F3QWB3E

2. If you dont have Photoshop CS, you can download the trial here : http://www.download.com/Adobe-Photoshop/3000-2192_4-10011172.html

3. Here are a collection of links you can use to download already scanned covers from online (WARNING, lower resolution than scanned) :
* (First stop of all Saturn Covers) : http://covers.satakore.com/HTML/covers.htm
* (Second stop of all Saturn Covers) : http://www.supersega.com/index_caratulas_sega_covers.asp
* (Third stop of all Saturn Covers) : http://www.zonesega.com/covers-Saturn.html
* (Great Saturn Wallpapers you could use for the front cover) : http://sega-saturn.net/downwall.htm
* (A Great collection of Sonic Team images and Covers) : http://sost.emulationzone.org/burning_rangers/index.htm
* Of course, you can go to Google Images and look for covers there as well.

4. Once you finish, save the image as a "12 (Highest Quality) .jpg" and email the high resolution cover to me at : [email protected]. Make sure that the subject of the email says "Saturn DVD Cover" (without the quotes) so it doesnt get lost in the spam mail. I'm setting up a emailing rule to put those emails in a special folder.

5. I'll post a low res 3d version of it on the site so everyone can see your glory. And you can send me a PM of what 2 covers you want and I'll put them up for you.

6. Every week, Saurian Overlord and I will pick the best of show for that week and I'll post every single cover posted somewhere for that lucky winner to download.

7. On Febuary 14th I will select the grand prize winner. The person to win it all. I'll include the Saturn, and some extra goodies. I keep the goodies a surprise, let me just say that the goodies could be better than the grand prize. Of course, I wont just hand a Saturn over to whoever creates 300 unprintable covers. We're looking for quality scans and covers. If you dont have it, ask for it. If you try hard enough, you'll find a decent clean scan for your covers. Being that its my extra Saturn, I'll be the deciding factor in the end. Dont worry, if you deserve it, you'll get it, and ALL the extra goodies! Thanks!

I hope thats everything! Get started guys!

Nice, I just wish I had more saturn games. The only good games I've been able to find in my area are: Fighting Vipers, Panzer Dragoon, and Shinning the Holy Ark.

I do have one question. When you buy a bunch of thin pack cases, can you buy boxes for them like what they use for a thin pack release of a anime series? It would look neat to have a series together in one of those, like the Shinning, Sega Ages, or Panzer series.

Wow, that's hawt!

Ironically, all the cases in my Saturn collection are still in like new condition. Plus several are in those double-sided holders to accomodate multiple disks/thick manuals.

I like thin-pak. I like saturn. I like to have little hobbies that give a sense of accomplishment.

Im in! Thing is i dont wanna be a team screw up so would this be moderately simple to do?

Also i own a saturn but only like 5 games lol

Do you want any scans of covers? I have Panzer Dragoon, Fighting Vipers, and Shinning the Holy Ark. Those are the only good saturn games that I have. I'd help with making covers, but I don't have much talent working with photoshop or the gimp.

Hey I am in on this. Been waiting to get some free time and it has finally come. I have around 130 Saturn games and am backing them all up onto light scribe cd’s. I will be making covers for the cd’s themselves and for the DVD covers. I like the idea for using slim cases and while working on the project I will make cases for slim line and standard cases, also for the multi disk games like panzer dragoon Saga I will be using the STACKpak cases which are the standard PC game cases. Let me know how to get everything I need to get started with this.

I would love to help out, but unfortunately all my Saturn cases were tossed out years ago. I've only got the discs left.

Thats awesome, Racketboy is my favorite non-cheapass site! I didnt know you even came here!

Sweet, ok... because of this... I'm making sure I load the photoshop template tonight. I'll have a updated list of what we'll work on.

I also have 7 finished ones now, I'll take some more pics.

Also, I see that people have mentioned there's nothing on the backs on other sites... its not true, a cropped version of the american version back is on the backs of these. You'll see tonight.

Hi!

Just signed up to CAG to join your project! Read about it on Racketboy's website, and just knew I had to sign up for this great idea! Also your first four covers look fab!

I'm a graphic designer, who also happen to be heavily into retro gaming. I own all the classic console systems, and have just started collecting Saturn games (thank you Darkwater team!). I have good Photoshop skills, and will put my heart and soul into this if everyone else do it as well.

Mookyjooky, please PM me with more info!

Thanks!

I'd loe to help out on this, I work as an Art Director (15+ years) and have accomplished photoshop skillz. Stay pretty busy with kids, work, and a small business but will try and find some time for this! LEt me know what the next step is.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Thats awesome, Racketboy is my favorite non-cheapass site! I didnt know you even came here!

Sweet, ok... because of this... I'm making sure I load the photoshop template tonight. I'll have a updated list of what we'll work on.

I also have 7 finished ones now, I'll take some more pics.

Also, I see that people have mentioned there's nothing on the backs on other sites... its not true, a cropped version of the american version back is on the backs of these. You'll see tonight.[/quote]
If I wasn't so busy with my own site, I'd be in here more, but I try to pop in every now and then. :D

Glad you like the site too -- it's always cool to see my readers in other places :)

Hey, i also found this post today via Racketboy! I'd be ecstatic to help. I think the idea is great, and your examples look fantastic. I've done some similar things in Photoshop before (converted some DVD covers to jewel-case-size for DivX CDs; they turned out pretty good if i say so myself), and i'd absolutely love to be part of this project. What do i need to do to join up? I can get started anytime; just need to re-install PS and i'm ready to go!

I IM'd mooky a while ago to ask about this(with the SN in his profile), he responded in a very rude manner.

Since then, on 3 seperate occasions, that SN has IM'd me giving stupid messages(ones i wouldnt post here but offensive)

I dont know if that is you mooky, if it isnt you should update that in your profile. If it is, well then you should really grow up.

All i wanted to do was take part in what seemed to be a cool project but im out

[quote name='Weedy649']I IM'd mooky a while ago to ask about this(with the SN in his profile), he responded in a very rude manner.

Since then, on 3 seperate occasions, that SN has IM'd me giving stupid messages(ones i wouldnt post here but offensive)

I dont know if that is you mooky, if it isnt you should update that in your profile. If it is, well then you should really grow up.

All i wanted to do was take part in what seemed to be a cool project but im out[/quote]
Actually the AIM SN was a mispelling. Maybe you would get that it wasn't me, when he didnt know anything about Sega Saturn games?

Either way, you could of PM'd me using the Cheapassgamer's very own Personal Messaging service before slandering me in my thread just as it was starting to take off. People like you are the reason I gave up creating the Dreamcast DVD Covers two years ago after I made the first 6. Do I give off the impression that you can crap on my project because I get paid to do this?? Cause I dont...

You didnt even contact me personally, before flaming me in my own thread. Sorry that the SN was mistyped... but you should of used common sense before making an ass out of yourself. I'm glad your out.

EDIT: Fixed my AIM Screen Name : "kenada23" (But I dont really sign on much)

You cant really blame me for not contacting you when i was under the impression that i DID contact you. I mean it was under your profile and all, but now that you fixed that my apologies.

Also the first night the person claimed he was tired and would talk about it another day, then from then on only spam would come >_>.

I wasnt trying to crap your project at all...why would i even IM you if i wasnt trying to help? Whos to know there werent other people who IMed you and got blown off by the other guy.

Ill delete the other message, because just like you say it was slander, but now you are making me out to be a bad guy. Please edit what you said about me because i cant be blamed for talking to someone i thought was you when you had that sn under your profile.

Updated the 1st post, PMed people interested... and the project is on its way!

I'll start off by tagging the Cover I'll work on this project.

Heres the list for this project:

01. Astal

02. Burning Rangers (Mookyjooky)
03. Clockwork Knight
04. Clockwork Knight 2
05. Die Hard Arcade
06. Fighters Megamix
07. Fighting Vipers
08. Dragon Force
09. Earthworm Jim 2
10. Saturn Bomberman

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Updated the 1st post, PMed people interested... and the project is on its way!

01. Astal

03. Clockwork Knight
04. Clockwork Knight 2
05. Die Hard Arcade
06. Fighters Megamix
07. Fighting Vipers
08. Dragon Force(Weedy649)
09. Earthworm Jim 2
10. Saturn Bomberman[/QUOTE]

up

Originally Posted by Mookyjooky

01. Astal

03. Clockwork Knight (rolly poly)
04. Clockwork Knight 2
05. Die Hard Arcade
06. Fighters Megamix
07. Fighting Vipers
08. Dragon Force (Weedy649)
09. Earthworm Jim 2
10. Saturn Bomberman

[quote name='rolly poly']Originally Posted by Mookyjooky

01. Astal

04. Clockwork Knight 2
05. Die Hard Arcade (Fandenivoldsk)
06. Fighters Megamix
07. Fighting Vipers
09. Earthworm Jim 2
10. Saturn Bomberman
[/QUOTE]

yo

I'll be burning the first set DVD-Rs tonight, I did a bunch of the work, while I was on my lunch break. It'll be ready to ship soon.

It'll have some really cool treats on it, as well as a collection of images for the current project cycle, and I went ahead and put my currently finished 7 Sega Saturn Slim DVD covers on it, so you can buy the cases and have 7 from the get go!

I'm really excited, and I've put a lot of work into getting this project organized... but now that its got a structure, and it's rolling... it'll be fast paced from here on out!

I hope we get 6 more on this project cycle soon! I cant wait to start getting more people in on this. Even if you dont have a Saturn, or you'll soon be getting one, you'll want to be in on this, cause I'm stuffing the DVD-R I'm sending out. ;-)

It'll be compatible with Win & Mac.

I can scan my copy of Fighting Vipers, but I'm not really interested in doing the cover myself. I'm not very talented in this department. Where is a good place to upload those large scans to? I might not have much talent, but I can atleast give you scans of the original covers that I have.

I have several US games, but far more japanese games. I'd be happy to try and contribute some Japanese manual art for any who need them. I'll jump in if I see an item I have on the list.

01. Astal

04. Clockwork Knight 2
06. Fighters Megamix
07. Fighting Vipers
09. Earthworm Jim 2
10. Saturn Bomberman (SaurianOverlord)

[quote name='fruitbane']I have several US games, but far more japanese games. I'd be happy to try and contribute some Japanese manual art for any who need them. I'll jump in if I see an item I have on the list.[/QUOTE]

All is provided. As mooky said in the first post, he has down all the prework, the project is about putting it together. Having 10 people work on 1 cover at a time will make things faster while not losing quality since each person can take their time on one cover. So sign up :p!

I have no artistic/visual editing skills, so I can be little help there. However, at some point there may be impetus to make covers for games someone more directly involved might not own in high-quality form, and in that case, I will attempt to provide.

well i am currently a house husband, so free time is usually in abundance.

i would have no problem doing more than one a week.

I second the idea of doing more than one at a time. I'd have no problem pumping out at least three or four in a weekend. I could do more than that, but i suppose if the five of us were doing several covers a week it would require a hell of a lot more scanning on your part, so of course it would depend on how much free time you have. Just a thought.

I think this one was done at 600 DPI.

That was done at 300 DPI.

I tried scanning these, but they didn't come out very well. I don't do much scanning, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

The reason your scans didn't come out very well is probably due to a cheap scanner. Now, for at least the third time, from Mookyjooky's original post:

I also have game company art books, a high priced scanner, a collection of Sega Saturn Magazines from Europe and over 500 Sega Saturn Covers in a box I bought off eBay to scan.

It's nice that you'd like to help out, but please leave the scanning to someone with more material and better hardware. I apologize if saying this makes me come off as a jackass, but if we start using scans of a wide range of quality, the overall quality of the project is going to suffer. Consistency is key in such a large project. This is the same reason we're using templates: everything will match.

If you'd like to help, please just volunteer for what's being asked. All you need to do for this project is combine provided materials (put the image on the Photoshop template). If you are unable to perform this [fairly simple] task, and you still really want to help somehow, you'll have to ask Mookyjooky if there is anything else you can do.

A couple of us have said that we wouldn't mind doing more than one cover at a time, but Mookyjooky is heading up this project, and he's asked for a team of ten people (including him) to perform this task. If he wants ten people, we need five more.

I want to see this happen! Let's get a team together and get this thing off the ground!

Oh well, I thought I'd help by scanning the covers that I had. The scanner that I used was a few years old. I just wanted to help and I'd forgotten about that part of the original post with the high priced scanner.

I don't know if I'd be much help with the actual making of covers. I attempted do one for psone project awhile back. I don't think it's very good though. Here it is if you want an idea of what I can do (my first attempt at a cover). I have to admit I was stuck with what ever images I could get for that one. I also wasn't quite finished with it either. The back really needed work.

If I can't help, I just want to say I hope you guys continue with this project.

01. Astal

04. Clockwork Knight 2
06. Fighters Megamix (Jurai)
07. Fighting Vipers
09. Earthworm Jim 2

erehwon, that's really not a bad start on a cover. Personally i think you'd do fine on this project. If you were able to piece that one together yourself, you should have no problem with Mookyjooky's template and extra images to choose from. I think you should give it a shot!

Alright Mooky, I'm in for one to start. I'll see what I can do with it. PM me details.

01. Astal

04. Clockwork Knight 2
07. Fighting Vipers
09. Earthworm Jim 2 (radjago)

well, i have 80+ us and import saturn games with everything.... thinpak cases would be sweet....

can't wait to see more

[quote name='radjago']Alright Mooky, I'm in for one to start. I'll see what I can do with it. PM me details.

01. Astal (Ashram)
02. Burning Rangers (Daphatty)
03. Clockwork Knight (Rolly Poly)
04. Clockwork Knight 2 (Mookyjooky [I took this one cause of lack of quality scans and covers])
07. Fighting Vipers (Erehwon)
09. Earthworm Jim 2 (radjago)
[/quote]

Ok... if we go with this list, we have 10...I'll run it by Daphatty to do Burning Rangers, I gave Erehwon Fighting Vipers cause of his scan, and Astal to Ashram, cause that was what was left, dont worry Ashram, Astal has some great pics in it.

So thats 10...

Let me know what you guys think.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Ok... if we go with this list, we have 10...I'll run it by Daphatty to do Burning Rangers, I gave Erehwon Fighting Vipers cause of his scan, and Astal to Ashram, cause that was what was left, dont worry Ashram, Astal has some great pics in it.

So thats 10...

Let me know what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

i'll take on astal with no problem.... time to open the saturn storage box!

bread's done
Back