- - - - -

Sega Saturn Slim DVD Cover Project [98 Covers and Growing / 56K beware!]

#181 amil_mcw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

I would love to contribute but I know I don't have the time or resources currently. Maybe someday.

Anyway, a couple suggestions. When thinking about these nice, clear, high-res slimline cases on my shelf, I'd love to have a white US template for my US games, a black EUR template for the euro games, and a golden JAP template for the Japanese games I own. I just think that lined up sitting on a shelf, distinguishing the games by region makes the collection look a bit more "authentic" as well as mixes it up a bit.

Another concern is the inconsistency of the back/front covers. Just speaking from personal preference here, but I would hate to have a US version of NiGHTS with the european logos on the back. The art is not a big deal (because looking cool is the most important thing in my book), but the actual icons, like the sega quality, backup unit, 6-player adapter, 3D control pad, ratings, etc... I feel that those should stay within the bounds of their region. If I put my US version of NiGHTS in a custom case with the white template around it, I don't want the Japanese ratings or info boxes on the back, I want the US 3D control pad logo and the ESRB rating box.

Anyway, the point of this is not to complain or gripe because I think this project is awesome and I will definetly be happy as a clam when it is completed, but rather to provide some suggestions. Maybe provide high quality scans of the logos to add as static objects? I'm not familiar with PS terminology so I don't know if this is possible, but you know.

anyway sorry for the rant, I sometimes get that I'm a little long-winded.

kudos on the project and everything looks spectacular thus far!

ps. ever thought about doing double sided covers for clear slimline case? just a thought :)

#182 Gentlegamer  

Gentlegamer

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:14 AM

Anyway, a couple suggestions. When thinking about these nice, clear, high-res slimline cases on my shelf, I'd love to have a white US template for my US games, a black EUR template for the euro games, and a golden JAP template for the Japanese games I own. I just think that lined up sitting on a shelf, distinguishing the games by region makes the collection look a bit more "authentic" as well as mixes it up a bit.

Read up thread . . . Mooky has made a Photoshop action that can change the header/logos to US or Euro. 8-)

#183 amil_mcw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:18 AM

ahhh.. thought I read the whole thing, guess not :roll:

thanks!

now just about the graphics schemes on the back... hm.

#184 durkada   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   12 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:12 AM

thanks!

The thread is now 10 pages long! Surely you can't be expected to read and reference every post.

Cause, if you had, you'd be hopping on the new forums at http://www.saurianun...ound.com/forum/ ;)

#185 computertheque   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

computertheque

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:01 PM

wow.... just finally decided to start scanning....and well, not as easy as i thought... but then again... i'm a quality whore :( it took an hour for me to find the scanner settings that produced the best results...

I just came across a post about this project thanks to racketboy's site, and after briefly skimming over this thread I've noticed this common confusion on scan quality.

It's best to scan at a very high resolution, 300 dpi being the standard minimum for a good quality print. However your image sources are printed materials, and scanning them at high resolution is just making the printed dot patterns visible. I'm not going to write out a tutorial on how to remove moire patterns from scans, but it isn't that complicated but does require patience to get a high quality end product. Photoshop is essentially required for this process. It is in your best interest to avoid using the scanned text from the game booklets, and instead retyping it out in a program like InDesign instead of within Photoshop. Not saying it can't be done, just that the flexibility and results are better suited for InDesign over Photoshop.

I'm in my four year of University for Graphic Design, so this type of work has been covered in my course work as well as in employment.

It's nice to see that a project like this exists, and I hope to contribute to it soon.

#186 Mookyjooky   Work is play... CAGiversary!   5202 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

I made a disc template... if you guys are interested. It looks great. Heres the link.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E1E5UPTF

Samples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#187 Mookyjooky   Work is play... CAGiversary!   5202 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

thanks!

Well, think the main issue, is that if you created a project that was extremely anal retentive and made people recreate their favorite game covers with a completely different layout, or a fully standardized layout scheme with 50+ layers or so... you'd have only 5 people contributing to the project with an output of 2 a year a peice.

Trust me, I would love to customly design this project all the way down to the smallest point, but you have to factor in that 75% of the people looking at this thread dont know about photoshop as much as I do. So I wanted to create a contest non-designers can get in on.

And honestly, I'll have to say... theres been about 5-10 graphic designers out there telling me they'd love to get in on this project, but the only people submitting are just the average joes who just want to get in on making stuff and learning photoshop. I'm an ex-graphic designer myself, and I can make a cover in less than 20 mins, and when I'm feeling crazy and I'm just copying the format and transporting it to our standard format, I can create a photoshop action and create 10-20 in a matter of 30 mins. So you'd figure that it'd be easier for the graphic designers.

This project is designed so you can be that change you so desire... if you want to work with special back layouts and be totally anal retentive of the design... I completely support that... as long as you stick with the small original layout we have going here.

I'm excited to see what you'll bring to the project, and I hope to see something soon!

Thanks!
~Wes

#188 Mookyjooky   Work is play... CAGiversary!   5202 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

My first attempt at making a cover.

Posted Image

looks great, just please put a little info about the game on the back... a scan of the back cover works great, and you can rotate the "roommate" logo clockwise and put it above it. And just fix the text (its centered, but the template is set to the left, please match the template design)

Fix those and I'll add it to the collective.

#189 Mookyjooky   Work is play... CAGiversary!   5202 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

I've got the disc and dvd case template down to less than a meg.

Heres the link. (I would suggest if you dont know anything about photoshop, to still use the old template.)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E1E5UPTF

#190 Weedy649   Keepin it cheap CAGiversary!   2521 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:25 AM

Just got the PM, this has come a long way! Still in crunch time at school though, lots due next week then finals the week after. Then ill immerse myself in all that ive missed, and get going on this.

#191 computertheque   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

computertheque

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:22 AM

Games/booklets that I have and will scan sometime within the coming weeks:

X-Men vs. Street Fighter (JP)
Dracula X (JP)
Panzer Dragoon (US)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (JP)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (JP & US)

I agree with the comment about having a template with territory specific identifications, be it the Saturn logo, age rating, etc. I have yet to look at the templates, but I did see that there apparently are some options for the other territories in an updated template.

This mostly comes from the fact that I own a decent amount of games, import and domestic, and would like to house them in their respective territory specific cases.

As for what game I would like to tackle, my eye is on the Panzer Dragoon trilogy, complete with a housing unit for the full three games. I'll be waiting until school ends for this semester before getting down to business.

#192 Mookyjooky   Work is play... CAGiversary!   5202 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

I'm slowly uploading the full size complete images on here. Come on by!

http://www.saurianun...bc4135ebc283302

#193 amil_mcw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:53 AM

I have about 40 US games, and 5 jap ones, but no access to a quality scanner. does kinko's do scanning? is it cheap? if anyone goes to purdue university here in west lafayette indiana, do you know if i can use a scanner there even if i'mnot a student? hm..

dang it my creative side wants to get in on this so bad. I may have to delete some of the 4GB of roms I have to make room for photoshop.

d'oh!

#194 amil_mcw   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   9 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:10 AM

Well, think the main issue, is that if you created a project that was extremely anal retentive and made people recreate their favorite game covers with a completely different layout, or a fully standardized layout scheme with 50+ layers or so... you'd have only 5 people contributing to the project with an output of 2 a year a peice.

Trust me, I would love to customly design this project all the way down to the smallest point, but you have to factor in that 75% of the people looking at this thread dont know about photoshop as much as I do. So I wanted to create a contest non-designers can get in on.

And honestly, I'll have to say... theres been about 5-10 graphic designers out there telling me they'd love to get in on this project, but the only people submitting are just the average joes who just want to get in on making stuff and learning photoshop. I'm an ex-graphic designer myself, and I can make a cover in less than 20 mins, and when I'm feeling crazy and I'm just copying the format and transporting it to our standard format, I can create a photoshop action and create 10-20 in a matter of 30 mins. So you'd figure that it'd be easier for the graphic designers.

This project is designed so you can be that change you so desire... if you want to work with special back layouts and be totally anal retentive of the design... I completely support that... as long as you stick with the small original layout we have going here.

I'm excited to see what you'll bring to the project, and I hope to see something soon!

Thanks!
~Wes

good point(s). i guess i'm just really anal retentive about MY saturn collection,heh. I think it would be awesome if we could make the OG .psd documents available for download as well as the images themselves. that way if i wanted to move some layers around for my collection then i could. the thing that attracts me to this project is the amount of customization that is possible. think of the possibilities! mind-blowing!

the spacebar doesn'twork toowellon thi scomupter, sorry. i'min a lab.

#195 tdr32341   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   89 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

This thread is so awesome - I can't wait till you make them all available for download at the end of it -

Anyway, I have no photoshop skills, but I looked through the list of completed covers on the main page and I noticed that there is no virtua cop shown. I have it in pretty nice shape and I would be willing to scan it if it helps out. PM me if you would like me to do it.

#196 SaurianOverlord   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   33 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

SaurianOverlord

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:52 AM

This thread is obsolete. If you want to contribute, go to saurianunderground.com/saturn for details.

Also, the covers are available in the gallery on the website. Lots of things are changing; keep your eyes on the forums to learn what's in the future!

#197 kittenluvermeowz   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   3 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

kittenluvermeowz

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

I joined to download the box arts, how would I go about doing this:bouncy:

#198 Gentlegamer  

Gentlegamer

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:47 PM

I joined to download the box arts, how would I go about doing this:bouncy:

You don't get anything unless you contribute covers.

#199 janepublic   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   19 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

janepublic

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:11 AM

been lurking long enough in these (thx racketboy) forums ....
got my template....
shoot me some more info...
i'll give it a try

comin outa da closet

#200 Judicaotrr   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Judicaotrr

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

Hey Guys. Just wondering for those of you who have printed these out, are you using a standard 8x10 glossy and cutting, or are you using like Memorex DVD Case Covers for the slimbox? Thanks.

#201 SaurianOverlord   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   33 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

SaurianOverlord

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:35 AM

Just to let everyone know once more, and correct a few statements made recently...

Project home page: http://www.saurianun...und.com/saturn/

Please do NOT use this thread anymore! If you're interested in the project, visit our forum at http://www.saurianun...ound.com/forum/

We are no longer requiring contributions for access to the finished covers! There is a gallery in place on the website: http://www.saurianun...nd.com/gallery2

The gallery includes an area for uploading covers to us, and is now the preferred method for submitting your work. There is also a scan uploading section, so if you want to send some HIGH QUALITY scans for games (whether they've already been done or not!), you can do that now as well.

This project is not dead! We have had a number of submissions since the last update on this thread, and there are lots of new things in the works, including an application for customizing covers and projects for other consoles! Please visit the new forums to stay in the loop and get involved!

Thanks,
The Management

EDIT: Please note that the homepage, while more up-to-date than this thread, is not entirely up-to-date. Your best bet for current info is to read or ask in the forums.

#202 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8545 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

Did people forget about this thread?

Who won the saturn?

#203 ashram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

Did people forget about this thread?

Who won the saturn?

i asked yesterday in the official forums..... no reply yet...

#204 xorthen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   67 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

I miss this thread.

#205 MarioMania   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

MarioMania

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Did people forget about this.........

#206 Melhavic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

Awsome dude.

#207 spshortman   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

spshortman

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

is there any way to download these beautiful saturn covers? ive search everywhere and only been able to download a few of them. i need to clean up my saturn collection for real. thanks

#208 Rooster752   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Rooster752

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

This project is awesome and some of the covers in the first post are really nice. The other site you keep pointing us to is down though. is this temporary?

#209 heavy liquid   tastes like burning CAGiversary!   797 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

heavy liquid

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

is there any way to download these beautiful saturn covers? ive search everywhere and only been able to download a few of them. i need to clean up my saturn collection for real. thanks

I'd like to know, too. It's a shame all that work was done for these covers, and they're not available anywhere.

#210 Animefalcon   Shoryuken! CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Animefalcon

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:42 AM

i could go dig through all the boxes of all my old gaming stuff (the only classic consoles i leave out is DC the rest is in boxes since my room is too small to show off all that stuff) i got close to around 100US saturn games and about 200 ish imports