The Wombat Journal

Wombat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I have taken it upon myself, with the approval of his Cheapness, to create this thread. What this will be essentially is place for me to ramble between CAGcasts. To get things off my chest before I forget and even flag important things for upcoming shows. If anything it may give some insight to what goes on in the space between shows and that it really isn’t just a one-hour a week hobby.
This is comes as a direct effect of the WLA, despite its detractors, if other people honestly believe that there is some legitimacy to what Cheapy and I are doing, then its about time I started to do something about it. I love the show too much to not a make a credible attempt at making it something I can actually do to earn a living. So I have devised a plan, right now it is more of a mission statement:

To be a professional Videogame journalist before my 30th birthday.

I have decided to let the CAG community join me for the ride of either my success or ultimate and crushing failure.
Either way it should make for some good entertainment value. Of course along the way I will post some videogame reviews and other musings.

Also Cheapy wanted me to mention that if there is enough interest, he will create a dedicated Subforum for the Journal, which would be pretty nifty.

so what defines professional?

print mags?
online?
G4?

but hey as a wiseman in an arcade once told me" Nobody Blink! GO FOR BROKE!"

good luck man, I'll watch this spot, and maybe when you go pro, maybe you'll pass on some of those free games to us little people.

[quote name='youruglyclone']so what defines professional?

print mags?
online?
G4?

but hey as a wiseman in an arcade once told me" Nobody Blink! GO FOR BROKE!"

good luck man, I'll watch this spot, and maybe when you go pro, maybe you'll pass on some of those free games to us little people.[/QUOTE]

ANy of the three would work, basically being able to do CAGcast related things fulltime and not have another job. Sounds crazy but it could happen. Trust me no one would be happier to give away free games than me, I just need to get to that place.

On a side note I just scored the videogame account at my new workplace, maybe all this stored knowledge will pay off here too.

Journalist sounds awesome. I remember your argument about them a few CAGcasts ago. Hope you make it to the top and revolutionize the professional video game journalism field. And please don't go the path of G4, they all sold their souls to the devil.

[quote name='Wombat']Also Cheapy wanted me to mention that if there is enough interest, he will create a dedicated Subforum for the Journal, which would be pretty nifty.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't this a point in the W.L.A.'s motto/mission statement?

Good luck my man. The Office Linebacker supports you all the way. (Just don't ask me to join the WLA. I am a one man Army, baby! WOOOOOO!!!)

Again its all about how to get someone with no writing background and a new full time job (that I will admit I almost enjoy) that is very difficult, a way to get paid as a real journalist so I can focus my time on the CAGcast and Marketing it. Its very frustrating to have a real goal sometimes, ;)

[quote name='Professor Oreo']Did someone say stuffed wombat toy? http://www.thisplaceisazoo.com/products/wombat.html#H2775[/quote]

wombat_toy2.jpg

australian_wombat1.jpg

[quote name='ryanbph']good luck wombat, when can we expect a story/review?[/QUOTE]

I hoping tonight, everything I start typing sounds like a second rate Bill Simmons, which is still better than most I guess.

[quote name='Wombat']I hoping tonight, everything I start typing sounds like a second rate Bill Simmons, which is still better than most I guess.[/quote]

You will not be able to compete with my CAGazine. We will have triple the puns and a built-in search engine so that I can find out who "Bill Simmons" is.

So this is an "open" thread where us regular shmucks can flame mock laugh at provide feedback for Wombat's ranting feeble attempts at journalism narcissistic rambling thoughts and musings?

j/k :) Seriously, sounds good to me. Tagged for now--I guess this will be brought up to the main page whenever it's updated by the man/bat itself?

Things for me not to forget for tonights cagcast:
"EA Videos, or Am I the only one who remembers the Nintendo tip line"
Wii graphic debate, not as important as the brain age guy jumping ship?
And the rules for the next contest

[quote name='Wombat']Things for me not to forget for tonights cagcast:
"EA Videos, or Am I the only one who remembers the Nintendo tip line"
Wii graphic debate, not as important as the brain age guy jumping ship?
And the rules for the next contest[/quote]

Go home and play Totemball before the Cagcast, I'm interested to hear what your impressions will be.

Ever wonder what cheapy and I talk about before a show, here’s an actual AIM transcript:

Wombat: whers my outline?
Cheapy: not ready
Cheapy: man, we have so much CAG business to talk about
Cheapy:: and CAGcast
Cheapy:: it will be ready soon
Cheapy:: 15 minutes
Wombat: ok ok
Wombat: add this name to Wii event section: PAT WELLS
Cheapy:: ok
Wombat: cool thanks, thats part of the contest this week too
Cheapy:: ok
Wombat: i know you are on Pins and needles

see, just like I said an inside look

Wombat, this is so cool, I wish you the best. It’s like living the dream brother.
I’ll be pulling for you man, let me know if you need anything!

Robb
Fullhavok

well episode 46 is in the can, it actually still ine process of being transffered to japan from NY, its a long one so enjoy. Im going to play with the dog so she is too worn out to keep me up all night, and not watch baseball. For those not in NY, the rain stopped like an hour ago and its pretty dry, there is no reason not to play tonight. I want my playoffs.

[quote name='CorporalJackson']A new rant? Wombats Yank playoff rant? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I never said I was a Yankee fan just that I was looking forward to watching the playoff game, so pffft. I'm listening to the show now, this being the first episode where we will know our listener numbers I am alittle apprehensive in finding out, the fact that cheapy has been idle for a half hour doesnt help either.

[quote name='Wombat']http://news.com.com/2100-1024_3-6122849.html?part=rss&tag=6122849&subj=news

I just read this article on Cnet and as a podcaster I'm not sure how I feel about it. Not that it wouldn't be great to make some money off of the cagcast, but I wouldn't want to turn off any loyal listeners either, then again I don't know anyone who uses Podzinger. Anyone?[/QUOTE]
I'd be interested to know how appropriate the ad is to the Cast content. If it's EB plugging a sale (that we knew about 6 months before it hit), then I don't have any trouble sitting through that for 15 seconds if it helps you guys out a bit. But if it's stupid crap like a new flavor of Rice-a-Roni before the CAGcast starts, that would be a bit more obnoxious in my book.

That being said, I'm so desensitized to commercials anymore that the only ones I've paid attention to in about 3 years are ones that are supposedly funny or cool on YouTube. So, whatever. I'll just block it out anyway. ;)

Yeah, same here, all those ads I usually see before streaming media go through one ear and out the other. Unless it's CAG related/benefitting, it'd prolly be an annoyance. But then again, I can last 15 seconds of ignoring. So i dunno.

I think "live" ads (having me and wombat read copy or improvise an ad), ala Howard Stern are the best value for an advertiser.

Nintendo tip line?...Shit I used to stay on the phone with a live Nintendo rep (ie. some young cocky nintendo 15 yr old champion like Fred Savage) while he would step me through some levels I was gettin killed on. Then my dad would yell about the phone bill and I'd say shut yo mouth I'm gaming dammit.

[quote name='CheapyD']I think "live" ads (having me and wombat read copy or improvise an ad), ala Howard Stern are the best value for an advertiser.[/QUOTE]

is that some type of hint???

sorry for the lack of updates, I had a long weekend with the Mrs. out of town and the baseball games and the dog, etc. Something about the baseballs playoffs sucks me in every year even when its not my team, but when the Mets are winning its even better. I was playing fetch with dog during both Mets rallys on Saturday, so its seems my Dog will be getting alot of exercise the longer the Mets stay in it. Yes I do believe the 2 things are connected.

Heres my big idea of the day, inspired by South Park and having never played an MMORPG ever, I thought it would be interesting to pick one up and see if something I can get into, my plan is to see if its too late for someone to start in on an established MMORPG. Who knows maybe it will be fun and I will never speak of console games again, but I doubt that will happen.

I gotta say wombat, with the type of personality you seem to have *cough* 200 hours on Oblivion *cough* picking World of Warcraft, or any MMO could be a bad thing. You could end up getting majorly hooked. Seriously you will have the most fun you have ever had playing it, but your life will be gone. You will look back in a few years and honestly wonder if the 100s of days of playing time on a single game was really worth it. Damn you EQ!!!!! I want my highschool years back. However, if you do decide to play Warcraft, play on the PvE server Greymane. I could give you some starting gold and stuff.

Keep up the updates on the journal as well. I would love to learn a little bit more about how the cagcast comes about every week. Oh and lets go Tigers! Maybe the Mets and Tigers will meet in the series.

[quote name='Wombat']Heres my big idea of the day, inspired by South Park and having never played an MMORPG ever, I thought it would be interesting to pick one up and see if something I can get into, my plan is to see if its too late for someone to start in on an established MMORPG. Who knows maybe it will be fun and I will never speak of console games again, but I doubt that will happen.[/quote]

I'd be scared that you would lose yourself in it and thus ignore Mrs. Wombat and Zelda --- but then I remember that you don't like people, so I think you'll come back to Oblivion.

well cheapy already sent me the outline for tonight, so expact a show up by tomorrow morning. Once its posted I'll put the the outline to give you an idea of what they look like. Also I may have some motivation to take on the MMORPG thing, all I need to do now is fugure out what my PC can handle as I don't really have a graphics card

MMO
I think its nigh impossible to seriously play an mmo if you have a job and other responsibilities.
I think you playing an MMO could lead to a break up with you and Mrs. Wombat.
A few questions
A) Are you a met fan? If so you rule. Im going to game one of the NLCS tommorow nite. I went to game 1 and 2 of the NLDS.
B) How old are you? I know your goal is to make money in videogames by the age of 30 but, if your going to be 30 soon the goal might be unrealistic and you may not be giving yourself enough of an opportunity.
C) Would you take a paycut to work in the industry? And if so what would be teh cut off? `10%, 15%???
D) What part of the City do you work in? I personally work on wall street right next to the stock exchange. I am a civil litigation attorney.
e) Is cag planning any events for the ps3/wii launch like a CAG meetup at a store to lineup before launch.
...I think I gave you enough stuff to talk about for now.
Good luck on the new job. We are all glad your not sniffing milk any longer. That's not a way to live dammit!
VIVA la revolucion!

[quote name='ivanctorres']
A) Are you a met fan? If so you rule. Im going to game one of the NLCS tommorow nite. I went to game 1 and 2 of the NLDS.
B) How old are you? I know your goal is to make money in videogames by the age of 30 but, if your going to be 30 soon the goal might be unrealistic and you may not be giving yourself enough of an opportunity.
C) Would you take a paycut to work in the industry? And if so what would be teh cut off? `10%, 15%???
D) What part of the City do you work in? I personally work on wall street right next to the stock exchange. I am a civil litigation attorney.
e) Is cag planning any events for the ps3/wii launch like a CAG meetup at a store to lineup before launch.
[/QUOTE]
A) I am a Met Fan
B) 29 see live name for BDay
C) Paycut would be something I would have to consider, it also depends on if I had to leave NY, cost of living, etc.
D) West Village (I'm hip now)
E) Plans, not that I know of but if the the Nintendo Store has a midnight sale, I will be there

When the idea of the Wombat Liberation Army was initially conceived in a secret underground lair, with the air hanging thick with cigarette smoke with a tinge of gun powder and empty beer bottles littering the floor, pie charts covering the walls like bruises, and ideas cutting out of mouths like bullets and the slackened jaws and half-closed eyes, I never imagined it would go over quite as well as it has.

I personally couldn't be more proud of you, Wombat. Your talents are immense, your comedic timing supreme. The video game world is your oyster, my man... shuck it!

Lead us all onwards to greater heights! Or at least keep making us laugh.

(Listen to the Hold Steady! "Boys and Girls in America" on sale NOW!)

I really should be better at updating this, but I have been playing to much WoW, yes it runs and smoothly too. I have lots to say about it, more good than bad so far, which surprises me probably more than you.
What is really interesting is how long its been since I played a PC game, not that i have any intention on leaving the world of consoles, but there is something to be said about having the ability to watch football and play a Fantasy Based MMORPG at the same time. Hearing "touchdown Jets" and "you have reached Level 8" at the same time is really more excitment than I should be allowed at a single instance.

[quote name='Bazz']Didn't you go to Digital Life on sunday you should write about that.[/QUOTE]

Thats for the cagcast

[quote name='Wombat']I really should be better at updating this, but I have been playing to much WoW, yes it runs and smoothly too. I have lots to say about it, more good than bad so far, which surprises me probably more than you.
What is really interesting is how long its been since I played a PC game, not that i have any intention on leaving the world of consoles, but there is something to be said about having the ability to watch football and play a Fantasy Based MMORPG at the same time. Hearing "touchdown Jets" and "you have reached Level 8" at the same time is really more excitment than I should be allowed at a single instance.[/quote]
What server/Realm are you on?

I can't believe your enjoy WoW I put it on for 5 min and I was like yeah this just like all the other Mmorpg which means suxs to me.

I really hope you guys are playing on Greymane, cause then I can play with some fellow Caggers, but if not, have fun with WoW. There really is a reason it has 7 million subscribers, its just fun to play.

[quote name='shipwreck']The same one he talked me into playing on. ;)[/quote]

Which one?

A friend and I just started up on Echo Isles a couple days ago.

bread's done
Back