Wii shortages? New productions numbers destroy previous estimates

Nintendo has sold 21 million GCNs so far, and they're going to have 11 million Wiis built by 2007?

That means they're predicting this to sell like hotcakes.

Great! Now Gamestop (have credit there sucks I know) can stop being asshats and start real fucking pre-orders.

I think they've learned from the mistakes of Microsoft (and soon Sony). Shortages may create all sorts of hype, but hype with nothing to sell does you little good. I really wonder what the 360 would be at right now if they were able to keep their production up. I don't think I saw a real like, unclaimed 360 in a store until March of this year. That's like 5 months of people going to the store and finding nothing.

Looks like they'll be well stocked for the holidays, including that vital post-holiday "I got money for Christmas!!!" shopping.

Now the big question is if enough copies of the games will be pressed. If there truly will be this many systems on store shelves I would be willing to bet that the software could be hard to come by.

[quote name='Troz1820']Now the big question is if enough copies of the games will be pressed. If there truly will be this many systems on store shelves I would be willing to bet that the software could be hard to come by.[/QUOTE]
Especailly Zelda. The adoption rate on that game is going to be almost 1:1 as all the gamers get their hands on the Wii first. Although, I'm sure Nintendo knows this and is planning accordingly.

[quote name='daroga'][quote name='Troz1820']Now the big question is if enough copies of the games will be pressed. If there truly will be this many systems on store shelves I would be willing to bet that the software could be hard to come by.[/QUOTE]

Especailly Zelda. The adoption rate on that game is going to be almost 1:1 as all the gamers get their hands on the Wii first. Although, I'm sure Nintendo knows this and is planning accordingly.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

However, you would think that pressing the games is a minor point.

they have said for awhile they would have a bunch of them for launch, I haven't understood why people are talking about camping out for them. 4mill is a shitload of them, and now we are talking 11mill.

Does this mean that I will have a shot at walking in a store and lunchtime and picking one up?

If so, then I say bravo for Nintendo. My respect for their business acumen has increased.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I call :bs:. There is no way Nintendo will have 11 million Wiis made by the end of the year.[/quote]Well, the article says between 9 and 11 million. Nintendo estimated 4 million, which was most likely conservative. So figure their internal estimate was something like 5 or 6 million, and suddenly 7 or 8 million available for shipment (not including an odd million or so that are being assembled) doesn't seem too far fetched if everything was moving smoothly.

[quote name='camoor']Does this mean that I will have a shot at walking in a store and lunchtime and picking one up?

If so, then I say bravo for Nintendo. My respect for their business acumen has increased.[/QUOTE]
11 mill or 5 mill I don't think it will be a problem going into a store and getting one b4 xmass

[quote name='daroga']Possibly up to 11 million manufactured by the end of December? Wow.[/quote]

Coming into the thread, I had assumed that you were going to mention how one of the factories had burned down or something so that many Wiis would have been of no use, but dear god, that's a lotta Wiis.

I dont see how they can make so many so fast. They had trouble keeping DSes in stock in Japan for the longest time. Thats going to be hot there this Winter as well.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont see how they can make so many so fast. They had trouble keeping DSes in stock in Japan for the longest time. Thats going to be hot there this Winter as well.[/QUOTE]

Because they've been producing them since July and not selling until mid November. That is 4 1/2 months of production just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont see how they can make so many so fast. They had trouble keeping DSes in stock in Japan for the longest time. Thats going to be hot there this Winter as well.[/QUOTE]
DS's are hard to make because of a shortage of LCD screens. Since it has TWO LCD screens, it made it even harder to get those things through the production line.

Since the architecture of the Wii is so similar to that of the Gamecube (and isn't so far "advanced" as the PS3), it's conceivable that these production estimates could be exceeded - they didn't have to severely reconfigure any part of their manufacturing process, and they don't have any new manufacturing tools (like Sony does with Blu-Ray drives).

[quote name='Corvin']Because they've been producing them since July and not selling until mid November. That is 4 1/2 months of production just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.[/QUOTE]
We need a CAG spy team to figure out WHERE this warehouse is and pay it a visit. I'll gladly leave a check for $249.99 in place of a waiting Wii unit. ;)

[quote name='ananag112']There is no way the Wii will sell that much at launch at $250 a piece.[/QUOTE]

In the United States, hell no. The US, Europe, and Japan though........

Who says they are planning a sell out? I'm sure they would like it, but they might just want it to be available.

So Bob hears about how his friend bought little Timmy one and they're having fun with it, and they dont have to get it on ebay, they can just walk into the Walmart and get it, even close to Christmas

If this is true, it's pretty much excellent news all around: for consumers, for Nintendo, for retailers, and for the industry. It will be interesting to see how that number is broken down in terms of who (Japan, N.A., Europe) gets what.

It was funny reading the comments on kotaku. Basically 90% Nintendudes tapping the kegs and a few lonely Sony fanboys trying desperately to find a cloud in that silver lining.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Who says they are planning a sell out? I'm sure they would like it, but they might just want it to be available.

So Bob hears about how his friend bought little Timmy one and they're having fun with it, and they dont have to get it on ebay, they can just walk into the Walmart and get it, even close to Christmas[/quote]That sounds like a horrible way to do business. Allowing people to just up and buy your product in any store.

[quote name='botticus']That sounds like a horrible way to do business. Allowing people to just up and buy your product in any store.[/QUOTE]

Next thing you know, they'll be selling them in QuickTrips...like Taquitos!

I think they are hoping for word to spread quickly after the initial launch and have a bunch of units available so that parents can run out and get one for their kids for Christmas, and I think it will work. There doesn't seem to be any other "It" toy within price range. PS3 is way too expensive for a gift, and the the 360 is a year old and not as hot. I think Nintendo will be competing with itself (Wii vs. DS) as the gift to give kids this year.

[quote name='drfunk85']I think they are hoping for word to spread quickly after the initial launch and have a bunch of units available so that parents can run out and get one for their kids for Christmas, and I think it will work. There doesn't seem to be any other "It" toy within price range. PS3 is way too expensive for a gift, and the the 360 is a year old and not as hot. I think Nintendo will be competing with itself (Wii vs. DS) as the gift to give kids this year.[/quote]A couple of toy catalogs are already including it as one of the hot items this holiday season, so it's certainly not going to hurt to have them available between launch day and Christmas.

[quote name='drfunk85']I think they are hoping for word to spread quickly after the initial launch and have a bunch of units available so that parents can run out and get one for their kids for Christmas, and I think it will work. There doesn't seem to be any other "It" toy within price range. PS3 is way too expensive for a gift, and the the 360 is a year old and not as hot. I think Nintendo will be competing with itself (Wii vs. DS) as the gift to give kids this year.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's always Tickle Me Elmo X, but I think we all know that is little more than Grover With A Gimmick. :roll:

If this is for real, it's awesome news. Wii already has the best buzz (among us gamers), and now it might exceed Micrsoft's units in just two months? Awesome.

I've been increasingly wondering if Nintendo is going to reclaim the #1 spot. It would be nice for a GAME company to be in that position again for once.

(I thought the DS was going to bomb horribly when it came out, and it didn't even have half the buzz Wii has.)

Red Steel still looks pretty great to me. The graphics look awesome, I love that it has both sword fighting and guns, and I potentially love that you actually sword fight with...well a sword, sort of :)

Here's hoping, I really feel that the Wii will appeal to all ages because kids to adults will be immeaditily attracted by the motion sensing controller and hopefully the games will make them stay

[quote name='Tybee']Well, there's always Tickle Me Elmo X, but I think we all know that is little more than Grover With A Gimmick. :roll:[/QUOTE]

It looks to me like the Tickle Me Elmo X is nothing more tham a souped of Tickle Me Elmo with a gimmicky add on. There's no way I'm paying that much for it. It clearly isn't the next-gen of Sesame Street toddler toys.

*JOKE KIND OF STOLEN FROM TYBEE. I APOLOGIZE*

[quote name='munch']It looks to me like the Tickle Me Elmo X is nothing more tham a souped of Tickle Me Elmo with a gimmicky add on. There's no way I'm paying that much for it. It clearly isn't the next-gen of Sesame Street toddler toys.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, exactly, isn't it just a Tickle Me Elmo 1.5? :rofl:.

[quote name='munch']It looks to me like the Tickle Me Elmo X is nothing more tham a souped of Tickle Me Elmo with a gimmicky add on. There's no way I'm paying that much for it. It clearly isn't the next-gen of Sesame Street toddler toys.[/QUOTE]

Dude...You totally co-opted my joke.

[quote name='Tybee']Dude...You totally co-opted my joke.[/QUOTE]

I know, but you have to admit that I took it to the next level. I'll fix my original post. :D

[quote name='botticus']That sounds like a horrible way to do business. Allowing people to just up and buy your product in any store.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='daroga']Especailly Zelda. The adoption rate on that game is going to be almost 1:1 as all the gamers get their hands on the Wii first. Although, I'm sure Nintendo knows this and is planning accordingly.[/QUOTE]

not really. If i get the WII i have no plans on getting zelda

He did say "ALMOST". I'm willing to bet you'll be in the minority.

I sure hope Nintendo has done it's QA testing for this go-round. That's potentially 11 million consoles that could have hardware problems.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I'm actually going 3rd party only until at least early next year. I know a few other people who have the same sentiment.[/quote]That's why I think I'm holding off on ExciteTruck. Nintendo cares less about that selling a million units than Activision or Ubisoft their games.

[quote name='keithp']He did say "ALMOST". I'm willing to bet you'll be in the minority.

I sure hope Nintendo has done it's QA testing for this go-round. That's potentially 11 million consoles that could have hardware problems.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'm sure they have. They're Nintendo.

I am a bit worried about whether the whole concept actually works though. Like that it dosen't jitter around, lose calibration, etc.

Ahhh.

Nintendo got my letter stating I was planning on having sex with millions of Wii systems.

That's good to know.

They keep saying they want to sell to the people who don't play games but the marketing and type of games and pricing only make this a gamer's choice no non gamer is gonna pop done $300 on a wii (with some sort of game) because it looks new they need to drop the price a lot and lower the price on games if they really are out to get nongamers. EVERYONE goes to the movies and spend around $20 each time they go so if they sell thier games at $20 and maybe drop the Console at $150 i see this being a huge 11 million units sold within 6 months kinda huge. I really think the priceing was a HUGE miss. But if they plan on lowering price after holiday season that would be good. The only thing with the wii that is good for newcomers to gaming is that a game is bundled with it.

[quote name='panasonic']They keep saying they want to sell to the people who don't play games but the marketing and type of games and pricing only make this a gamer's choice no non gamer is gonna pop done $300 on a wii (with some sort of game) because it looks new they need to drop the price a lot and lower the price on games if they really are out to get nongamers. EVERYONE goes to the movies and spend around $20 each time they go so if they sell thier games at $20 and maybe drop the Console at $150 i see this being a huge 11 million units sold within 6 months kinda huge[/quote] $20 for 1.5-3 hours of movies
$50 for 10-50+ hours of games

Sounds about right to me.

I am willing to say if nintendo had came out and Said Wii will retail For $149.99 90% of this site would probably have been really excited about buying it. and to post above, How many new gamers are willing to put 15 hours or 30 hours into a game? And they are not looking at how long it is they are looking at the price and if its enjoyable. $50 entertainment is hard to sell to a casual person

[quote name='panasonic']$50 entertainment is hard to sell to a casual person[/quote]
The casual person wouldn't think that way. The casual person would want to try out that Wii thing that they saw Katie Couric play on the news. Or Oprah. Or whichever daytime personality that Nintendo will end up enlisting as a shill.

$250 with a mass-market game is a buyable price. Joe Blow consumer isn't going to want Zelda, they're going to want Wii Sports. Look at all of the mainstream press the Wii has been getting lately. THAT is what sells the average consumer.

[quote name='panasonic']I am willing to say if nintendo had came out and Said Wii will retail For $149.99 90% of this site would probably have been really excited about buying it. and to post above, How many new gamers are willing to put 15 hours or 30 hours into a game? And they are not looking at how long it is they are looking at the price and if its enjoyable. $50 entertainment is hard to sell to a casual person[/quote]
15 hours over the course of 5 years, or however long this generation of consoles lasts? I'm betting most casual gamers can do that, if the games are fun. They don't need to get their money's worth out of a game in the first week they own it.

But I guess if your argument is that Nintendo should lose money on hardware, and on software, I guess that would be a successful way of selling millions of consoles and millions of games and driving their business right into the ground.

Since new gamers don't currently pay anything for games, it's really kinda hard to say how much they will pay.

[quote name='panasonic']They keep saying they want to sell to the people who don't play games but the marketing and type of games and pricing only make this a gamer's choice no non gamer is gonna pop done $300 on a wii (with some sort of game) because it looks new they need to drop the price a lot and lower the price on games if they really are out to get nongamers. EVERYONE goes to the movies and spend around $20 each time they go so if they sell thier games at $20 and maybe drop the Console at $150 i see this being a huge 11 million units sold within 6 months kinda huge. I really think the priceing was a HUGE miss. But if they plan on lowering price after holiday season that would be good. The only thing with the wii that is good for newcomers to gaming is that a game is bundled with it.[/quote]

This is SO September 2006. :roll:

bread's done
Back