Wii Encaps, Accesories, Retail cost vs. MSRP

I might chop one game out of my Wii budget to afford a couple of those items.

Definitely a yes on one of the controller glove sets and the dog tag / lapel pin.

By the way daroga, thanks for the link! Forgot to say that in my first post. Great stuff. Just feeding the excitement. :)

Oh, and here's a comment from the comments section:

Los @ Oct 7th 2006 9:14PM

Hey my pics made it on.

Just FYI, you can't see it in the pics. The green controller glove with the 2 retro looking ones has a Zelda Triforce Logo embossed between the large A button hole and the 3 button set below it. The red has the Mario "M" on it, in the same spot.

I really am having to stifle my klepto thumb working on them.

Sounds nice. :D

Very interesting look at the costs. I'm curious if CompUSA gets less of a markup than some of the other retailers, given that I never see anything worthwhile gaming related at their stores.

Controller gloves look like a pretty slick way to differentiate controllers, if nothing else.

Looks like my fear of places like Best Buy and whatnot not bothering to push the Wii on people is unfounded. Much better markup (albeit still tiny) on the console than the others.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I thought VC Points were supposed to be $20, not $25.[/quote]This is CompUSA we're talking about, who according to their website, still charges $145 for the blue DS. Also possible that would be for a 2500 point card.

[quote name='Sgt. Baker']Are those....are those stands for wiimotes!?

That's sweet if they are.[/quote]Which picture are you looking at?

[quote name='botticus']This is CompUSA we're talking about, who according to their website, still charges $145 for the blue DS. Also possible that would be for a 2500 point card.

Which picture are you looking at?[/quote]4th shelf down. Lower shelf.

EDIT: 4th picture down. Sorry.

[quote name='botticus']This is CompUSA we're talking about, who according to their website, still charges $145 for the blue DS. Also possible that would be for a 2500 point card.
[/quote] I had no idea they do that. I've never bought anything videogame related from CompUSA. I guess I have a good reason to continue to stay away.

[quote name='lordwow']How on earth do the VC cards cost $17 to make?[/quote] It's not how much they cost to make, it's how much Nintendo makes stores buy them for. I'm sure wholesale price of MS points are around $17. After all, if the wholesale price of 2000 Nintendo points were $10, they would only make $2.50 on $5 VC games.

[quote name='musicnoteless']Anyone willing to bet someone is gonna break street date?[/quote]
I think it's possible. And CAGers will be the first to discover it!

Well, what I find interesting is that people on CAG always claim retailers' cost for $50 games is $45 or $46, and thus they are making almost nothing on new games. $40 (or $41.22) isn't too bad. In particular, retailers will make a ton on the $40 Zelda's. Is this much lower than for PS2/GC/Xbox games, or has everyone been wrong all this time?

Oh, and I'm thinking the controller gloves will be a necessary purchase - anything that adds even slight protection for both the Wiimote and nearby spectators. My kids will inevitably throw them across the room several times. My youngest gets so excited playing SSBM that the Wavebird will often go flying out of his hands (he tends to jump around while playing). I can't imagine what he'll do when he's actually SUPPOSED to move the controller around like a maniac :rofl:.

Also, does anyone have any idea what the things in the second picture are (that look like DS/GBA cases)? Are they Wiimote storage bags? Hopefully EB and GR will get all these types of things in so I can use my hard-earned :lol: store credit on them (in particular the Wii points cards).

Edit - Never mind, I guess those are the "WII GPAK ORGANIZER&TRAVEL - 29.99 / 18.95". That one definitely seems overpriced, think I'll pass there... I guess those are for taking your Wiimote to your friend's house (since they store your avatar, etc). I'll play with my Wiimote in the privacy of my own home, thank you very much, so no need for that.

[quote name='io']Oh, and I'm thinking the controller gloves will be a necessary purchase - anything that adds even slight protection for both the Wiimote and nearby spectators. My kids will inevitably throw them across the room several times. My youngest gets so excited playing SSBM that the Wavebird will often go flying out of his hands (he tends to jump around while playing). I can't imagine what he'll do when he's actually SUPPOSED to move the controller around like a maniac :rofl:.[/quote]
You get a wrist strap with the Wii for the remote so that you, or whoever else uses the remote, won't be able to accidentally throw it around.

[quote name='io']
Also, does anyone have any idea what the things in the second picture are (that look like DS/GBA cases)? Are they Wiimote storage bags? Hopefully EB and GR will get all these types of things in so I can use my hard-earned :lol: store credit on them (in particular the Wii points cards).

Edit - Never mind, I guess those are the "WII GPAK ORGANIZER&TRAVEL - 29.99 / 18.95". That one definitely seems overpriced, think I'll pass there... I guess those are for taking your Wiimote to your friend's house (since they store your avatar, etc). I'll play with my Wiimote in the privacy of my own home, thank you very much, so no need for that.[/quote]I think those are actually to port around your entire console, though I'm not completely sure.

[quote name='Strell']Dog tags and lapel pins?

I am fucking sold, bitches.[/QUOTE]

:lol: most random accessory ever

[quote name='musicnoteless']Anyone willing to bet someone is gonna break street date?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be suprised to see them break the street date for games and accesories. Look at the 360 launch, games were available before the system was, about 2 weeks IIRC.

Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.

[quote name='jPoD']Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya. seems like an attempt to get people to accessorize their Wii-motes like an Ipod.

[quote name='Apossum']I'm with ya. seems like an attempt to get people to accessorize their Wii-motes like an Ipod.[/QUOTE]

You mean like a jPod? :p

Wow, great photo shop job. I've seen these exact items for tool accesories at Ace Hardware...j/k :rofl: Great stuff OP, but I'm not to sure about the Wiimote condoms. Maybe if they are thin and give me a better grip, but I'm thinking they will be similar to the GBA condoms.

[quote name='jPoD']Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.[/quote]If you find a better way, let me know. In the meantime, sure I'll drop $10 on a three pack to keep first player and second player differentiated.

Why are the points cards $24.99? Seems like a ripoff, I would have liked to have seen them be $19.99 like XBLM cards.

[quote name='botticus']If you find a better way, let me know. In the meantime, sure I'll drop $10 on a three pack to keep first player and second player differentiated.[/QUOTE]

Well idk, use a sock. At least you wont have dust and dirt all over it.

[quote name='botticus']If you find a better way, let me know. In the meantime, sure I'll drop $10 on a three pack to keep first player and second player differentiated.[/QUOTE]
I'm even more leary about this than the gloves, as I don't put anything on my consoles I can't take off, but it's another option. (And perhaps these will be removable, I don't know)

http://www.mywiiremote.com/

[quote name='Roufuss']Why are the points cards $24.99? Seems like a ripoff, I would have liked to have seen them be $19.99 like XBLM cards.[/quote]100 points = $1 according to Nintendo, so it depends on what the points card is and, as I pointed out earlier, CompUSA isn't necessarily the best retailer to look at video game costs for.

[quote name='io']Well, what I find interesting is that people on CAG always claim retailers' cost for $50 games is $45 or $46, and thus they are making almost nothing on new games. $40 (or $41.22) isn't too bad. In particular, retailers will make a ton on the $40 Zelda's. Is this much lower than for PS2/GC/Xbox games, or has everyone been wrong all this time?[/QUOTE]

Everybody's been wrong, I guess, though I never heard anyone here claim that retailers make that little markup on new games. When I worked at CC, which was through the PS2/XB/GC launches, cost for the store for your average game was $38-42.

[quote name='alongx']Everybody's been wrong, I guess, though I never heard anyone here claim that retailers make that little markup on new games. When I worked at CC, which was through the PS2/XB/GC launches, cost for the store for your average game was $38-42.[/QUOTE]

A 20% markup isnt too shabby.

[quote name='alongx']Everybody's been wrong, I guess, though I never heard anyone here claim that retailers make that little markup on new games. When I worked at CC, which was through the PS2/XB/GC launches, cost for the store for your average game was $38-42.[/QUOTE]

Just today in the Kmart thread some guy is saying the markup on new games is 5% (not necessarily at Kmart, but at "his brother's store"). I see stuff like that all the time - usually it is $5 (which is 10%). The 5% is an extreme example :D.

[quote name='jPoD']Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.[/quote]
Eh, I don't really see that as an issue.
It might bother the CAGs who have OCD, but I think the rest of us will handle a little bit of dust just fine. ;)

[quote name='jPoD']Am I the only one who isnt enthralled by the 'gloves'? Have any of you ever used silicone? The shit is total dust-magnet. I'll find a better way of distinguishing my 'mote.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the dog tags/lapel pins are for the Wiimotes as well. You can distinguish between them by just looking at the dog tags.

[quote name='io']Just today in the Kmart thread some guy is saying the markup on new games is 5% (not necessarily at Kmart, but at "his brother's store"). I see stuff like that all the time - usually it is $5 (which is 10%). The 5% is an extreme example :D.[/QUOTE]
Well, do keep in mind that small "mom and pop" shops get things for a higher price, as Wal-Mart and other big retailers get volume discounts. But yeah, people have probably been wrong about this, as why else would they even bother selling games? New games especially, since they often get stuck with extra stock they have to mark below cost to get rid of.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']I wouldn't be suprised to see them break the street date for games and accesories. Look at the 360 launch, games were available before the system was, about 2 weeks IIRC.[/quote]
Games are released before the consoles all the time. It's not that they're breaking a street date, just that they're to be released before the console launches.

[quote name='botticus']Controller gloves look like a pretty slick way to differentiate controllers, if nothing else.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is probably a better idea than releasing multiple different console colors and wiimote options. Save those for later to pick up new customers down the line.

bread's done
Back