So..about that Fable 2? (Preview/Anticipation Thread)

Tha Xecutioner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This thread is (what it says) a preview and anticipation build up for the sequel to one of the top selling Xbox games (if not RPGs - don't quote me on that) of all time. So far I have only really seen info from TeamXbox about this game, so here are the links (and quoted cliffnotes):

Teaser Trailer for Fable 2

Page 1: Intro to Game, Setting, and Characters

Page 2: Talk about Sexual Relations and Intro of the Story

Page 3: Combat and the "Super Secret"

[quote name='Team Xbox']The first new feature that Peter Molyneux discussed was “dynamic levels”. It happened that at one point during the development of Fable, Molyneux promised that you could plant an acorn and see it growing into an oak tree, but unfortunately, that feature was cut from Fable. Because of that, Molyneux received death threats from anonymous Fable fans.

For Fable 2, that and much more will finally happen in the game. But forget about acorns turning into oak trees; let’s talk about changing whole levels.[/quote]
[quote name='Team Xbox']A camp could turn into a village in a decade, and in another ten years time there will be a town in there. Or, if you destroy the camp, there won’t be an evolving settlement in there, so nature will take over that area.

Another new feature found in Fable 2 is ownership. Peter explained that this is such a simple concept, but for some reason we have played so many role playing games for countless years in castles, towns, villages, dungeons but they were just scenarios that you could only step in, but never own. “It is about time that you can own those places” emphasized Molyneux, with all the implications that may have.

Ultimately, if you play long enough, you can own everything you see in the world of Fable 2.[/quote]
[quote name='Team Xbox']One new concept is wealth; in Fable 2 you can also become rich or poor independently from what path of integrity you choose. You can be a good but poor hero, or an evil rich bastard, but things really get interesting when we talk about other, more rare combinations that are related to cruelty and kindness.

Molyneux also highlighted that, at the start of the game, you’ll have to choose your character’s gender. He also let slip that there will be an advanced form of customization as every hero will be unique, and whether you choose to spend more time in the mirror or not it’ll be up to you.[/quote]
[quote name='Team Xbox']Another brand new feature that is being introduced with Fable 2 is “unconditional love”.
In the first Fable, you could chase girls and get married, but not have children. In this sequel, not only you can get married, but you can also decide to have sexual relations; choosing whether those are safe or unprotected sex encounters, and the latter can result in you having a baby with your couple. Depending on whom you have chosen for your marriage, it’ll define what the baby will look like. If you have different wives, then all your babies will look like you, but at the same time they will be different and resemble their mothers, or fathers in case you chose to be a woman. These babies will be so real that they will call you daddy and come to give you a hug when you arrive home.

The A.I. behind these babies will be so complex that they will make different expressions depending on your appearance and reputation. So, if you are a badass warrior full of tattoos, your kids will come to you and say “dad, you’re so cool!” and they will even try to mimic your signature marks. So don’t be surprised if you come one day and your kiddo is tattooed all over his body. [/quote]
[quote name='Team Xbox']The game starts in classic video game manner. There’s this bird, flying through an amazing landscape full of mountains, water falls and the bird comes to rest to the top of a town tower and… it takes a shit!

The camera follows the shit down, the shit lands on this kid’s head. Guess who that kid is? It’s you!

This intro makes it very clear that in Fable you don’t start as a hero; you start as a regular person who is destined to become a hero.

Molyneux explained that there will be a story in Fable 2 and you can play through it as quickly as you want, but if you go fast, this will make you poor because in order to become rich, you need to take on jobs and complete them.

In what regards to the story of the game, Fable 2 takes place 500 years after Fable 1, and the reason for that is because Molyneux wanted a big gap to change many settings. The design and look of characters is inspired by movies like The Brotherhood of the Wolf, and now you can carry guns and other weapons that did not exist in the timeline of Fable 1. “This is no longer a fairy tale,” explained Molyneux, and he also revealed that there won’t be cut scenes in Fable 2.[/quote]
[quote name='Team Xbox']One experiment Lionhead is currently conducting with Fable 2’s fighting system is “constrained combat”. Molyneux explained that because with next-generation every aspect of game simulation has become more real, combat has to reflect the innovation in technology.
Let’s see how things have evolved from the first Fablefor Xbox to this second installment built from the ground up for the Xbox 360:

In Fable 1, if you swung your sword close to a wall, the sword would come across the wall without respecting the laws of physics. Collision detection was not sophisticated enough to make such interactions realistic.

In Fable 2, that is not going to happen. The way you swing your sword will depend on your surroundings, and ultimately, the environment will dictate all the moves your character makes.

You’ll have to learn how to fight in the different environments of the game. Like Peter explained: “it’s all about where you are, who you are fighting with, where you are near and where you are gonna get that defines your combat.” For that reason, fighting in Fable 2 will no longer be just pressing the action buttons on the Xbox 360 controller.[/quote]
[quote name='Team Xbox']He gave one hint though; this secret feature is in some way related to the “unconditional love” feature explained above in the way that it is all about “emotions” Molyneux wants you to experience when playing Fable 2.[/quote]
With all that being said, I am very excited about the release of this game. I personally spent many, many hours on the first and thought it couldn't get any better. It seems like they are really going full effort in their attempts for the top spot on the RPG market, at least for consoles.

The sexual relationship aspect of the game sounds really awesome and hilarious at the same time, but I know the hardcore Fable fans from the past game always complained that you couldn't get your sex on with the village women, so I'm sure that's why they added it. It would be awesome though to go back to your house and see that your son (for example) grew his hair out, got tattoos, and learned to fight with a sword after watching you for years.

I'm really interested in the fighting physics they are implementing, as well. Any other thoughts or impressions? Or maybe even more official info about the game?

First I've read about anything about the sequel. I never played the first game, but I prefer the more action-oriented RPGs to the menu-driven types. Really cool ideas, so I hope they all pan out. Yet another 360 game to look forward to.

Sounds good, I always wanted to play the first one but I actually never touched it and eventually traded it in. If the promises he is making this time around hold true, I'll get it and actually put time into it.

Considering how much he promised with the first and failed to deliver, I am not holding my breath for any of the things mentioned here.

However, that being said, the original Fable is a very, very good game. It may not be the game promised, but it's still quite fun and I would enjoy a sequel even if it were just slightly refined instead of overhauled.

I thought fable was really cool. But knowing this developers track record, and that he had nothing to show at X06, that tells me we'll be lucky to see this one in 2008.

With them being bought out by Microsoft I'm hoping they deliever more on their promises. This is easily one of most anticipated games coming out in the next year. HOPEFULLY it ships before November 9th, 2007 otherwise it will get pushed off to the side, much like the first Fable did. IMO I don't think it got the credit it deserves.

[quote name='Bigsauce']With them being bought out by Microsoft I'm hoping they deliever more on their promises. This is easily one of most anticipated games coming out in the next year. HOPEFULLY it ships before November 9th, 2007 otherwise it will get pushed off to the side, much like the first Fable did. IMO I don't think it got the credit it deserves.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Too many people panned the original Fable because it didn't deliver on all its promises, completely overlooking the fact that it was still an excellent action RPG. This is definitely a game I'm going to be looking forward to.

Hopefully they are able to deliver on their promises this time, because it looks like it could be a really good game.
I also hope the world is open like TES games and not linar like Fable 1.

Fable is one of my favorite games on the xbox so im excited about a sequel even though i know half of what is promised wont make it into the game.

New info and ingame shots:

Peter Molyneux revealed some informatio about Fable 2 jsut now at the GDC, and it is pretty far out there, in the style that only Molyneux cen deliver. The game will feature a dog sidkick for you, the main character. Fine, that's pretty tame, but the game also has you falling in love, marrying, and becoming pregnant. Yes, you heard us folks, virtual kids! Now that is certainly a first.

Peter went on to say that the dog will adopt the master's traits, and that players can choose to have protected or unprotected sex. Of course, if players choose unprotected, and what guy wouldn't mind you, then there is a chance you can put a bun in the oven. Your offspring will even resemble you physically and grow as time goes on. Holy vow!
http://gamersreports.com/news/5177/fable-2-gdc-info-dog-sidekick-sex-can-result-in-offpring/

54650.jpg

54645.jpg

54648.jpg

Images taken from here: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=512164

Like I said before, never got around to playing the first one. I will definately try this one out once it releases.

All hype aside, Fable was a great game! My only complaints are that it was too linear and a tad on the short side. Thanks for the screens and update Linkin, looks and sounds interesting.

I'm excited! I traded my Fable in for Fable: Lost Chapters and that game, Doom 3 and Halo 2 are the only games I kept from my Xbox Collection when I got my 360.

I really enjoyed Fable, played it back in school. Hopefully the systems that Peter is promising will actually come through to fruition--they kind of need to--Mass Effect will be killing em on the conversation system alone :)

I'm going to make a prediction right now:

Fable 2 will be a fun, solid RPG with a few problems that gets good reviews and sales, but will be bitched at by lots of forumers.

Fable 2 sounds utterly drool-worthy. Shame that I'm probably too cheap to buy it whenever it first comes out. I might have to wait to get it as a birthday present or gift or something. :lol: Never fails; that's the easy way around cheapness as a teen. :D

bread's done
Back