Half.com

idolbud123

CAG Veteran
Has anyone ever bought games from Half.com??? I have found some really kick A$$ prices there, like True Crime for Xbox only 23.74 new, Minority Report 8.88 new, sonic heroes 26.11 used but in great condition, and thats too just name a few. I suggest you guys all shop their, its where i get 75% of my games!!!

BYE

Yes you can find some deals on there. But its a little more then you would find them on ebay! Some times you win some times its a lot easier just to bid on ebay! But hey sometime you just find the people who arew trying to unloaded a ton of crap and they put it on half! Its cheap then on ebay!

Half.com used to rock--they used to actually require that items be sold at no more than 1/2 the MSRP--hence the name, Half.com. I found some good buys there, and unloaded some stuff I didn't use anymore but that would give me no credit on a trade-in.
But now all the vendors/companies sell stuff for like 5 bucks less than Best Buy has it for.
There are still deals to be found, but you have to look harder : (
But if you're finding deals, more power to you, and I wish you continued good luck!

They changed it once Half.com was brought out by Ebay where stuff could be sold out any price. Some stuff is even listed for more than the MSRP!

It's too bad that Half.com is closing down in a few months though. I like selling there more than EBay because it's free to list an item and there are no non paying bidders.

Every time I drive by Half.com's main headquarters, I think about the employees in there and how they will all be out of a job soon :(

[quote name='dtcarson']Half.com used to rock--they used to actually require that items be sold at no more than 1/2 the MSRP--hence the name, Half.com. I found some good buys there, and unloaded some stuff I didn't use anymore but that would give me no credit on a trade-in.
But now all the vendors/companies sell stuff for like 5 bucks less than Best Buy has it for.
There are still deals to be found, but you have to look harder : (
But if you're finding deals, more power to you, and I wish you continued good luck![/quote]

I remember these days as well, in turn people would charge crazy shipping prices

Ebay feels that both sites aren't neccessary and they would rather have people sell on EBay so they are shutting it down. To try to accomodate Half.com sellers, they have put new additions to EBay like the preset information and picture listings but it still isn't the same.

[quote name='coolsteel']
I remember these days as well, in turn people would charge crazy shipping prices[/quote]

Now that's what they do on Ebay--I've seen games listed and with a current bid of less than five bucks.....but between 8 and 14 dollars shipping. It costs 1.26 to ship one DVD/game. That's just wrong, but Ebay's policies are written so vaguely, people do it and get away with it. All to save 'ebay's/half's ridiculous fees', which are NOT that bad--think about it, one ad in your local newspaper probably runs 5-30 bucks; I haven't paid that much in *total* for listing fees.

" It costs 1.26 to ship one DVD/game. "

First class or media mail?

To ship a game first class for me costs $1.52 - $1.75 plus $0.55 for delivery confirmation (required by Paypal, since all a buyer has to do is say they didn't receive the item and if the seller can't provide a tracking #, the buyer gets their money back, no questions asked) plus $0.30 for a bubble envelope.

I don't see anything wrong with charging a little extra for shipping. I charge $3.00 to ship a DVD based game so I am overcharging around $0.30 after all the shipping fees and the envelope but I agree that charging excessive shipping charges is wrong. Anything more than $4 or $5 for a game seems like it's too much.

I sell all my stuffs at half.com, and found it to be a very very good site. The good thing is that you don't have to pay to sell things at their site. They only charge you 15% if your item is sold (at a set price you want). Unlike ebay which charge you whether or not your item is sold.
Plus I love to buy things there because you don't need to worry about bidding againest someone over at ebay. And sometimes they sell cheaper than those at ebay.

Half.com has been great for me the last couple of years and I've been able to consistently get good deals there. I suggest giving it a shot assuming the seller has reasonable feedback.

Half.com is definitely worth checking out once in a while for games you are interested in. I just got Deus Ex: Invisible War for Xbox for only $34 shipped new two weeks ago. They have some decent prices on much older games without having to worry about excessive shipping charges.

I can ship one dvd or video game, well packed, for 1.26 first class or like 1.45 media mail. [The rates have gone up in the last year or so, I don't recall if that cost is before the new rates or after.] Anyway, well under two bucks. Delivery confirmation isn't required by Half.com, though it is suggested--I have only used it once, when I sold a dvd for 60 bucks, and then I didn't mind the extra fifty cents or whatever.
Back when I was selling a lot of stuff, I bought a box of bubblewrap, a roll of kraft paper, and a roll of clear shipping tape for under 20 bucks, and I have been using the bubblewrap and tape ever since. I have had to buy another roll of paper, but that's 1.50 for 60 square yards or so. So my shipping overhead is very low. I don't have a problem with, say, shipping of 3-4 dollars First Class, and 4-5 bucks Priority Mail [less overhead for that, because the Post Office GIVES you all the priority supplies for free.] Three bucks is more than fair, and there's a little jiggle room, because now that the USPS has gone to 'zones,', it's not just a flat rate.
Half.com's commission of generally 15% does seem a little high, but they do give a shipping credit, and there's no charge for listing stuff for as long as you have it, so I've found it worth it, for the 'regular' stuff, just to post it and let it sell, rather than fooling around with an auction.
Asa buyer, I have found a few good deals--I got my wife a CD she wanted, brand new in package, for around ten bucks shipped. Plus fixed shipping-the rates aren't that competitive, but they are at least consistent and fair.

Wow, that's awesome that you are able to ship games at that low of a shipping rate for 1st class.

I know that Delivery Confirmation isn't required but I just don't like to take chances. I kind of use it as a deterrent so no one will claim they didn't get it if they actually did since they will see the delivery confirmation form on the pacakge.

I didn't use it at first but once last year I had a buyer who claimed they never got their game. The game only cost me $5.00 and since I couldn't track it or prove it was delivered (since of course it may not have been), I refunded them. I think most buyers are honest and that most would not lie and say they never received the package if they actually did but there are some people out there who would so I just use in case there is a dispute.

What annoys me about Half.com's shipping credit is that the buyer pays $2.50 for shipping yet the seller only gets credited back $1.90 for media mail shipments.

Half.com screws you if you're a seller, 15% is what they take when you sell a game, but what do you expect remember they are an ebay company.
You sell a game for 29.99 plus they charge 2.50 for shipping. But like someone else pointed out they only give you $1.90 for shipping. Meanwhile you only see about $27 with shipping, SO they are making $3.60 off just that sale.
The only better thing about half.com is you don't have to pay for unsold crap.
My games usually sell fairly quick when put on half.com that's the other only good thing about half

And no non paying bidders like on EBay. It's nice knowing that on Half.com once you sell an item, the buyer has already paid for it, unlike on Ebay where you get the occasional "I changed my mind and don't want the item anymore" buyer.

bread's done
Back