New Red Steel info

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
Its not new today but I didnt see it posted...:

Red Steel has undoubtably been the top game on the list of many future Wii owners since it was first announced. At E3 Nintendo revealed the Wii controller's in-built speaker, and this gave the crew over at Ubisoft some new ideas to implement into the title before it is released alongside the Wii.

So we needed a different mode," lead designer Roman Campos-Oriola said to Eurogamer. "At E3, when Nintendo unveiled the speaker on the Wii-mote, we thought, 'Okay, with this speaker we can make a really different, specific game mode that you can only have on the Wii.'"

It had been previously been announced that Red Steel multiplayer would include deathmatch and team deathmatch modes but the "specific game mode" which Campos-Oriola mentioned is entitled 'killer' and is "almost like classic deathmatch - you frag people and score points - but each player has a specific objective that gives you bonus points."

When playing a Killer match, apparently the Wii-mote will act as a telephone. It will ring and when you place it against your ear, you will be given your mission objectives without other players being able to hear what it is.

"If you manage to achieve your objective, you'll get bonus points; if you can't do it, you'll have negative points," Campos-Oriola further explained. "One objective could be, 'Kill player number four and avoid killing any other players.' If you kill any player before killing number four, you'll have negative points. So while you are looking for player four the other players might shoot at you, but you can't shoot back at them. It's really interesting and really adds fun to a standard deathmatch."

Campos-Oriola also revealed a few more snippets of information concerning the Wii controller’s in-built speaker. Apparently, the speaker will also be used in the story-mode and will click when you are out of ammo as well as play a different sound effect when you reload your weapon. In the more anticipated moments of the game - when you're using a sword, the speaker will also emit a noise when your sword receives damage as well as when you do damage to your opponent's sword.

Ooh, thanks for posting this. Manager at EB this morning mentioned the "mission" mode, as he called it, which is apparently "killer," which I had yet to hear of.

all these things sound great. I wonder how it will add up in the final game.

Sounds cool. At least they're trying to do some different stuff with the title and take advantage of the Wii. The final product might still be garbage, but at least they're showing some creativity.

I'm glad they are focusing on utilizing the technology that Nintendo has supplied, and the initial use seems pretty sweet. Too bad they couldn't have made it into something like a team objective instead of Deathmatch. For example, have one team be "phoned" who to kill, what to destroy, what to take, etc. On the other team, a few people would be "phoned" by a tipster, maybe 4 people are phoned but only one tip is the actual objective given to the other team.

Just a thought.

[quote name='elwood731']Sounds cool. At least they're trying to do some different stuff with the title and take advantage of the Wii. The final product might still be garbage, but at least they're showing some creativity.[/quote]
To me, that's what Red Steel is all about. Trying to figure out some rules and ideas for the system. Games will come later that refine them or avoid the ones that don't work, but Ubisoft is really going for broke trying to use the new machine and I really respect that. I've got it preordered and I'll likely play through it. I don't anticipate it being a "shock-and-awe" title but it's certainly laying the groundwork for what's to come--and has me very excited at that.

I really hope they implement a variable bounding box so players can choose between the free aiming (Red Steel) or free moving (Metroid). From the sound of it, I think I would prefer a smaller box.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']I really hope they implement a variable bounding box so players can choose between the free aiming (Red Steel) or free moving (Metroid). From the sound of it, I think I would prefer a smaller box.[/quote]
Yeah, I as well. If for no other reason than it would be closer to the waey a mouse and keyboard works for a PC fps. I could see really getting frustrated with slow turns the other way--not unlike a dual analog FPS setup.

That phone feature could be really kick ass in a variety of ways. You could be a hitman who has to answer calls in phonebooth. It would also be neat if in games like Trauma Center you were paged to a certain room through the wiimote. I hope developers come up with a lot of cool ways to use it.

Another thing that bothers me about the videos is that when you aim to the right, the wrist bends to aim the gun. Maybe it's just me, but that looks terribly unnatural.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Another thing that bothers me about the videos is that when you aim to the right, the wrist bends to aim the gun. Maybe it's just me, but that looks terribly unnatural.[/quote]

QFT. That was really irking me in the videos and I know something like that would drive me nuts when I'm playing the game.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']I really hope they implement a variable bounding box so players can choose between the free aiming (Red Steel) or free moving (Metroid). From the sound of it, I think I would prefer a smaller box.[/QUOTE]

QFT

I've been saying this a lot recently. The controls in Metroid look nearly perfect, but they look awful in Red Steel.

[quote name='evanft']QFT

I've been saying this a lot recently. The controls in Metroid look nearly perfect, but they look awful in Red Steel.[/quote]

It played fine for me. Nunchuck analog moved front back left and right. Wiimote looked/aimed. It took about 1 minute to figure out and a few more to get comfortable with it. I don't know if there was a sensitivity setting for turning. It did move a little slow in that department.

Have you played it yet? It really plays well.

bread's done
Back