need help with antivirus and firewall

zin63

CAG Veteran
what av/firewall programs do you guys recommend? I've used PC-cillin for a while but it doesn't detect all viruses. Norton Internet Security works great, but I get significantly slower FPS in games. I'm thinking of getting the Sygate Firewall and Kaspersky AV. Are those good choices?

I've had the best luck (especially for free) with AVG, you can get it at www.grisoft.com.

Secondly, if you're not running a hardware based firewall, don't bother. They don't accomplish anything, they suck up bandwidth and basically irritate you with things being blocked and messages coming up.

I have a router, doubt if it has firewall capabilites. what's the difference between avg free and retail?

[quote name='zin63']I have a router, doubt if it has firewall capabilites. what's the difference between avg free and retail?[/quote]

Just use free, it works fine, has an Outlook Express plugin, automatic update, a scheduler and a boot scan built in. It'll do everything you need it to.

thanks. i have a wired linksys BEFSR41 Version 2, and I know it doesn't have firewall since PC-cillin blocks a hacking attempt almost once a week. I'll get the Sygate and just manually turn off my internet connection when I want to play Doom 3 I guess. I've heard good things about the Tiny Personal Firewall too, any comments about that firewall?

I use Grisoft's AVG antivirus...free and it plugs in to OE

I don't have a firewall in place (use a broadband router with firewall)...but have used zonealarm in the past.

Otherwise there's zonealarm, blackice, and a number of other sofware based firewalls available.

silly me, i found out my router supports hardware firewall, but it's not set-up. I tried going to the router http page, but I found nothing to turn firewall on or disable UPnP. If anyone jas a linksys, can you tell me how to configure it as a hardware firewall?

I'm really paranoid, so I've set up quite a few things:

AVG Antivirus
Avast Antivirus
Built-in router firewall
ZoneAlarm Antivirus+Firewall combo
Armor2Net

moxio, i'm really paranoid too. I'm using avg antivirus, zone alrm firewall, a proxy, and i have kaspersky av set up for a weekly check. i haven't been able to configure my router though. i know i'm supposed to turn off pings or something, but i can't find the option in the router page. Anyone with Linksys brand routers know how to turn on firewall?

thanks, i already did, and talked to a live rep. apparently there's nothing wrong with the router's firewall feature. A few hackers got through in the past, so I guess not all hardware firewalls are built equal? i have zone labs firewall as added protection now.

btw, moxio, how did you get two software firewalls to work together? i once tried to use the pc-cillin and zone alarm firewalls at once, and the zonalarm didn't even install. I also read in PC Magazine that two firewalls are supposed to "conflict" with each other, although they didn't explain how.

I use zone alarm but not the new version. Since they were bought over, their wuality has went down. Right now, im running Zone Alarm v4.5.594.000 since its the most stable. And for anti-virus i use avast, very good freeware virus scanner.

I am also using 4.5.somethingsomething.

I'm not sure why, but my firewalls have no problem working together. My antiviruses do, so I keep AVG open and use Avast for scanning. I think it's a good combo.

bread's done
Back