Help me price my "region free" Cube for eBay.

mbartholow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm seriously considering eBaying my beloved purple GC to generate some Wii funds and need the CAGs help in setting a value to the system. I've searched through eBay's completed listings and can't find anything similar to compare.

My cube has a custom flipper switch installed through the back fan slots that allows the user to toggle between US and JP region coding (rather proud to say I modded it myself). I'm thinking this would be a nice selling point, what with all of the various Naruto and One Piece games out there to import.

I'd also be including original box, cables, controller, etc.

Anyone have thoughts on how much that should go for?

In the end, I'll prob also tack on my JP Donkey Konga set with original box, a Hori GC retro pad, a JP formatted memory card, GBA Player (the only thing I use as of the moment) and a handful of games I don't care to keep.

10/22 UPDATE

Now up on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=160043260055&rd=1&rd=1

[quote name='daroga']You can't sell moded systems on CAG or on eBay. Take it elsewhere, son.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.. News to me about eBay. I guess that settles that!

[quote name='daroga']You can't sell moded systems on CAG or on eBay. Take it elsewhere, son.[/QUOTE]I don't think that's true. Half the Panasonic Q's on eBay are modded (there's a CAG selling a modded Panasonic Q in CAG Trading right now). Maybe it's the word "mod" that's iffy, but it's just a region switch mod. It doesn't allow you to play bootlegs or anything. I don't think it's really an issue.
Edited to add: I think Casey's trading FAQ says no mods of any type, but eh...

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I don't think that's true. Half the Panasonic Q's on eBay are modded (there's a CAG selling a modded Panasonic Q in CAG Trading right now). Maybe it's the word "mod" that's iffy, but it's just a region switch mod. It doesn't allow you to play bootlegs or anything. I don't think it's really an issue.[/quote]
That could very well be. eBay's policy police seem to have double standards on things, as to what's acceptable and what isn't.

I take back my above post. Give it a shot. :)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I don't think that's true. Half the Panasonic Q's on eBay are modded (there's a CAG selling a modded Panasonic Q in CAG Trading right now). Maybe it's the word "mod" that's iffy, but it's just a region switch mod. It doesn't allow you to play bootlegs or anything. I don't think it's really an issue.
Edited to add: I think Casey's trading FAQ says no mods of any type, but eh...[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing, since you could easily buy a region-free dvd player on there. My system in NO WAY plays pirated software, it merely has a region switch. Not even remotely similar to mod chips for sony and M$ systems.

[quote name='mbartholow']I was wondering the same thing, since you could easily buy a region-free dvd player on there. My system in NO WAY plays pirated software, it merely has a region switch. Not even remotely similar to mod chips for sony and M$ systems.[/quote]
I guess my word of advice is to be VERY CLEAR on that in your auction listing. Maybe list it as "Region Free" or something along those lines rather than modded.

Yeah, just mention it's region free and say there's a switch in the description. Don't put modded in the title(that's just asking for it to be taken down).

Ebay gets pissed for some reason with modded systems. I remember seeing someone that modded their Xbox so that the casing was in the shape of the Millenium Falcon(complete with lights) and Ebay forced him to take it down. That actually looked pretty cool.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yeah, just mention it's region free and say there's a switch in the description. Don't put modded in the title(that's just asking for it to be taken down).

Ebay gets pissed for some reason with modded systems. I remember seeing someone that modded their Xbox so that the casing was in the shape of the Millenium Falcon(complete with lights) and Ebay forced him to take it down. That actually looked pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense and it was my mistake to refer to it as modded in the post title. It IS modified however and that term used to mean all kinds of things to me (painted, pimped out, etc.). Apparently now it only refers to bootleg games in the minds of some. "Region Free" will be the way to go.

I also think it would nab more than $50, since lots are standard gc's are moving above that price as of today.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's not for sale on CAG, that's completely correct. Without exception.

On eBay, good luck with that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Shrike, can you change the post title to remove the "Modded" part? Or close the thread all together, whichever is appropriate.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's not for sale on CAG, that's completely correct. Without exception.[/QUOTE]Bah, that's lame. I bought a modded Panasonic Q from defender on CAG a whiles ago, too.

Why are there rules against modded systems on CAG? Modifications to a system aren't inherently illegal, unless you actually believe the BS shrinkwark agreements that Microsoft and the like throw in. I assume it's more of a slippery-slope argument in that once modded systems are allowed, there'd be no end to the types of mods we'd see. I suppose it's easier to ban them all rather than figure out which ones are legit and which ones aren't, but it's really a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. As long as there aren't advertisements for CDR versions of Rez and Xboxes with "OMG L@@K 40,000 gamez" on the hardrive, then I don't see the problem.

Nevermind. The answer is advertising.

Nice titling, that won't get Ebay's attention(BTW, if that came of sarcastic, it isn't supposed to be). Good to mention the switch in the description, that way if the bidder emails you about it, just tell him it was in the description.

Thx Tangy.

I still think the switch is a selling point, who knows if the Wii will ever play the JP GC discs. This one has to have some value in it. Time will tell though! Thansk for checking that out for me.

I know you're trying to not push the whole mod thing on the auction, but if I didn't know from this thread what the switch does, "menu changing" wouldn't tell me that either. I think you could and might want to be a bit more explicit as to what the switch does. :) Just a thouht.

[quote name='daroga']bah, I'm sorry. :([/QUOTE]

Nah, Got in touch with their people and am pleading my case. I can't really understand the specific problem, as my setup in no way promotes piracy or mod chips (which is what the alert email from them was about).

Best case they can just let me relist with no mention of anything. Heck if i'm including JP Kongas, somebody will either take the hint or be suprised.

I bought a modded PlayStation on eBay to play imports. The title didn't say it was modded, but the description did. It made no mention of what the modification did, it just said something like "PlayStation with mod chip". Maybe you could just be vague about it and request buyers to e-mail you for more info.

[quote name='Jack']I bought a modded PlayStation on eBay to play imports. The title didn't say it was modded, but the description did. It made no mention of what the modification did, it just said something like "PlayStation with mod chip". Maybe you could just be vague about it and request buyers to e-mail you for more info.[/QUOTE]

Problem there is that they flag you right when you post your listing and tell you that it contains language about mod chips, etc and will be reviewed right away. I changed my language from "Switch changes menus" to "Toggle switch allows play of JP games" and they pulled it :(

Are you including both Japanese and American games? If you were, you could say something like "all games were tested and work fine on this Gamecube." Just make sure to specify which games are Japanese.

You probably shouldn't mention the swich at all, but let it be visable in one of the pictures.

[quote name='Jack']Are you including both Japanese and American games? If you were, you could say something like "all games were tested and work fine on this Gamecube." Just make sure to specify which games are Japanese.

You probably shouldn't mention the swich at all, but let it be visable in one of the pictures.[/QUOTE]

I like that. Sounds good! I was shying away from showing the switch in pics, since it wouldn't be very clear what it does either way.

I would say it is a special gamecube that can play games from both the USA and Japan and is very rare and hard to find. Only a limited amount of people have them and it is a true gamers dream come true.

Don't mention the mod, the switch or you doing anything. Word it so it sounds like it was sold but no one can find it.

Although the fact they got you for the toggle switch seems quite weird. Some bastard must of reported you (not that this is illegal or wrong) just eBay sucks at legality.

Hope your next listing does better!

Well, it closed for right over a hundred bucks. Nothing spectacular, but it frees up some Wii money and clears some junk games off of my crowded shelf. Thanks again for the on-going feedback.

bread's done
Back