Best deal on a 20" Intel iMac?

norkusa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I'm finally ready to upgrade from my old G4 PPC and I got my eye on the 20" Intell iMacs. Haven't done a lot of shopping around yet but I checked MacMall and they got a 2.16GHz/1GB/250 iMac for $1,419 after MIR.

I remember seeing a couple of people here that bought new Mac's recently...just wondering if someone knows the best place to buy from. There's an Apple Store near me. I should stay away from those if I want a cheap one, right?

If you have a Fry's near you, there seems to be a clearance for Core Duo 20" imac w/250GB, 2.0Ghz, 512MB, and 128 ATI XL1600 video card for $899 + tax. YMMV depending on stock though

If you aren't lucky enough to have a FRY's near by, the Apple's refirb store is always overlooked. The warranty is exactly the same and usually 20-30% cheaper.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...OIl763kdtf2lW1bFsLuF/1.0.0.21.1.0.8.7.1.0.1.1

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Learn More
• Save 30% off the original price

Original price: $1,699.00
Your price: $1,199.00

Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping

Damn! I'm in Michigan and there isn't a Fry's store anywhere near me. Those iMac's are probably the old ones. I was hoping to get one with the new Intel Core Duo 2 but shit, if they are only $899...

I'm not a student any longer but I was thinking about signing up for a class, getting a valid college ID, and dropping it + get my money back after I get the discount. Kinda a lot of work to get just to save $100 though. Do they do that discount at all stores that sell Mac's or is it just at the Apple Stores?

Thanks for that link on the refurb mac's, rabidmonkeys. Totally forgot about that. Those look like the old Intel Core Duo macs but those are still pretty good deals. Maybe I'll get one of those if I can't fly out to a Fry's and pick one up. :p

In my experience, even though my mom's a teacher, they never really went into depth confirming that youre a student/ teacher. It's more like an honor system, unless they changed it.

[quote name='Superfan']In my experience, even though my mom's a teacher, they never really went into depth confirming that youre a student/ teacher. It's more like an honor system, unless they changed it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I see. I was thinking they needed a valid student ID and a class schedule as proof. I got my old expired college ID that I still use at Goodwill for 10% off. Maybe they'll take that.

bread's done
Back